Other OU CCAT - Team Complete (Revisions and Edits Stage)

Status
Not open for further replies.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
thanks to Doughboy for most of the OP
taken over from Nova
Approved by Subject18

Hello friends! Welcome to the ORAS OU Community Create a Team. In this project, we will be working to nominate Pokemon sets that work well together and form a cohesive team as the final product.

STEPS:

1. In round 1, users will submit the focus pokemon of the team. The majority of the time the pokemon is a sweeper, however any type of pokemon can become the focus pokemon for the team. Remember that while the focus pokemon should be successful the majority of the time, it should also be interesting enough to sustain interest in the CCAT. The CCAT is also a learning experience, so don't be afraid to go a little outside of the box and explore. At the end of the round 1, there will be a vote on the submitted pokemon sets by users. The round will last a few days or until there are a decent number of pokemon in the poll. The pokemon that wins the majority of the votes will be the focus pokemon
  2. At the beginning of each new round, users will submit a pokemon set to compliment the focus Pokemon. The pokemon set should aim to contribute to the function of the focus pokemon (the pokemon chosen in round 1) and prevent the team as a whole from being threatened by the majority of the metagame. Again, the sets submitted by users will be subject to vote and whichever pokemon garners the most votes wins.
  3. After step 2 has been repeated for all the Pokemon in the team, we will have our semi-final team. We will then test drive the team on the ladder and look for ways to fine tune it.
So let's try this again and build the best team we can, while being interesting at the same time! Try not to have a submission be your only contribution for the CCAT. Discussion is important too for convincing / guiding users on the direction the team should take, the flaws of other submitted sets, and the threats that are found in the metagame now.

Be sure to include the full set of the pokemon, like how it would appear in PS importable. This is useful because different EVs, movesets, nature can affect the dynamic of the rest of the team and it makes it easier to create an importable that everyone can use.

You may now start your nominations, and be sure to explain your nomination.

Our team so far:

Absol-Mega @ Absolite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough / Superpower

Dragalge @ Dragon Fang
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Toxic Spikes
- Focus Blast

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful / Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Play Rough / Foul Play
- Magnet Rise

Slowking @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 84 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Thunder Wave
- Psyshock / Grass Knot
- Slack Off

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Flamethrower

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
SD Mega Absol won round one voting with a whopping 17 votes!
Lets get discussing what the team needs to support this Pokemon and then get started with the nominations n_n

Last edited:
Finally XD

Hm since we are running absol fairies seem to be are biggest issue atm, so I suggest we go with a steel or poison type now.

boxofkangaroos

this is the day of the expanding man
Finally XD

Hm since we are running absol fairies seem to be are biggest issue atm, so I suggest we go with a steel or poison type now.
Agreed. Also, Mega Beedrill, Mega Lopunny, and other strong Fighting types are also things we need to take into account. Food for thought.

silver97

GUNDELEROS WE DO THE PATTO DI SANGUE
Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Taunt

Great typing synergy both offensively and defensively and talon can totally stop most fairies and use them as setup fodders, as well as baiting some threats that normally switch on it like tran and neutralize them with taunt, proceeding then to weaken them allowing absol to kill them easily

Edit: i'm not sure this is the time to post nomination, sorry if i'm wrong

I personally dislike using it, but I feel Magnezone has potential to be Mega Absol's partner.

Magnezone takes care of the fairy and steel types Absol would prefer to avoid (as we are not running a Fire Blast set) using HP Fire and Flash Cannon. They may not KO, but they leave the opponent's mons in KO range of Mega Absol. Furthermore, it can check Azu (Superpower sucks) and Mega Slowbro (who gives new meaning to "bulky") with the all mighty Thunderbolt. I would recommend a Specs Scarfed set for this because there are threats that are able to naturally outspeed Magnezone (like Mega Diance, Mega Altaria, Mega Gardevoir, Scizor with Superpower...) which can take care of the Specs set EZ PZ lemon squEZ. Scarf set outspeeds, and while it may not KO, it does a very hefty chunk. Also puts the already slower anyways mons like Ferrothorn, Skarmory and the waters mentioned before to death.

Volt Switch is also very beneficial to Mega Absol, as it can be brought in nicely (being to frail to take many hit). I feel that this core is a bit shaky on the defensive side, but works well on the offensive one to a point where, with proper support, it doesn't matter.
I was beaten to it by silver97 above me, but this pair would benefit a lot from Talonflame. Taunt is cool as he suggested, as Magnezone is already taking care of the steel types Flare Blitz would be hitting.

Set (provided by Smogon so EVs are probably not optimal):
Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Fire
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Note: I thought of this like 3 seconds after I saw the post, so if this actually sucks, yeah sorry... Would also write about Scarfchi, but that was taken so whatevs.

Last edited:

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
aside from fairies, theres really nothing we have for a plethora of Megas, such as lopunny, zard x, scizor, etc to name a few.

checks for those will be sorely needed

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Absol is frail so getting it in for free would be very nice. I am on my phone atm so can't post a set but Jirachi seems cool as it can give it a free switch with U-Turn, kill fairies, fighting types and bug types with iron head, zen beadbutt or fire punch and can give it other support like healing wish or wish. Don't know what sets fits the best but all help Absol

Reserving Jirachi, will write tomorrow

I am going to nominate physically defensive + Magic Guard clefable.

I feel clefable overall just helps absol just because it beat some of absol's top checks. In example, it beats lopunny, and it can take hits from Landorus-Therian. They also have decent type synergy with Clefable being able to tank a lot of physical and special hits. I just found it to be pretty much be a great defensive option for the team. It also heals absol's status or it can use flamethrower

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell/Flamethrower

edit: I am going to nominate magic guard as well

Now like I said above clef is still quite a goo defensive pokemon. But magic guard clefable run calm mind and doesn't take status or hazard damage and it can setup on pokemon. This makes a dual setup core and if a couple of walls are broken these two can become a devastating pair to face.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Flamethrower/Thunder Wave/Stealth Rock

Last edited:
I'm actually very excited to see this and to see the team come together. I think that this is going to be a great project. :)
Ok, so leading off, SD Mega Absol is a great mon in OU. It can set up on the vast majority of common walls in the OU tier once it has mega evolved, it has a respectable base 115 speed which allows it to outspeed common threats in the tier, such as Lati@s, Mega Metagross, and non scarf variants of Lando-T/ Keldeo/ Gachomp, and it hits like a truck with a healthy base 150 attack. However, it is severely lacking in bulk, and is outsped by other megas like Lopunny, and is bopped by common priority users. So, to start off, I want to nominate TrickScarf Latios:

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]/[Fighting] <- (Fighting is for lucky and bad people such as myself)
- Trick

It's bulky enough to switch into a few priority moves that Absol can't afford to take, and can easily dish out damage while not only outspeeding other common scarfers such as Keldeo, Garchomp, or Lando-T, but also having the option to crippling walls with Trick.

If I think of other things I'll be sure to edit them in, but for now I'd like to bring up the option of also running Baton Pass for momentum/ passing an SD to another team-member. I'm not sure if it will be as viable in OU, but I've used it in UU to some reasonable success.

silver97

I was beaten to it by silver97 above me, but this pair would benefit a lot from Talonflame, though I would personally run Swords Dance myself as another possible win condition. Taunt works too though I guess, but I would prefer to see that on an all-out stallbreaker set.
My set actually features both taunt and swords dance and it is fucking good at wallbreaking and generally keeping up tons of pressure on the opponent

Choice Scarf Keldeo

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power Electric / Icy Wind

Keldeo is a great partner for Mega Absol, taking on stuff like Zard X, Lopunny, and Scizor, all of which can threaten Mega Absol. This set is pretty much standard, you can run either HP Electric or Icy Wind, but I prefer HP Electric since Absol already beats the Lati twins 1v1.

Last edited:
I think the gengar is a mon that can be good here,taking figthing,bug,fairy while absol checks the ghost psychic weaknesses of gengar although mega lop with beat this core i still think its a pretty good partner.

silver97

I am going to nominate physically defensive clefable.

I feel clefable overall just helps absol just because it beat some of absol's top checks. In example, it beats lopunny, and it can take hits from Landorus-Therian. They also have decent type synergy with Clefable being able to tank a lot of physical and special hits. I just found it to be pretty much be a great defensive option for the team. It also heals absol's status or it can use flamethrower

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell/Flamethrower
Imo there's no need of using unaware on Clef as we're likely gonna build an offensive team or at least a balanced one, magic guard is superior on this kind of team because you generally have other ways to get past setup sweepers, while magic guard supports its teammates by absorbing status, it is not hurted by hazards and last but not the least allows you to run softboiled which frees up a moveslot for another move like stealth rock or twave or whatever

Imo there's no need of using unaware on Clef as we're likely gonna build an offensive team or at least a balanced one, magic guard is superior on this kind of team because you generally have other ways to get past setup sweepers, while magic guard supports its teammates by absorbing status, it is not hurted by hazards and last but not the least allows you to run softboiled which frees up a moveslot for another move like stealth rock or twave or whatever
I guess I will do magic guard clef as well then.

I nominate Scarf Gothitelle:

Gothitelle @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Shadow Tag
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Pyschic
-Energy Ball
-Hidden Power Fire
-Trick

Gothitelle has the ability to trap and KO many of Absol's checks like Skarmory. Ferrothorn, Mega Lopunny, Mega Slowbro, Breloom, Azumarill, and Conkelldur,and can also cripple walls that he has a hard time muscling through like clefable. I think its a more versatile trapper than zone for most of these stituations.

TFlame looks like an exceptional partner to M-Absol, being able to check Fairies and Fighting types. Anyways, my nom for this week is SubDD Gyarados.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 128 HP / 192 Atk / 12 Def / 176 Spd
Adamant Nature
-Dragon Dance
-Substitute
-Bounce
-Waterfall

My thought process behind choosing this mon was intimidating the priority users that threaten M-Absol. Stuff like Conkeldurr, Scizor, Azumarill (non BD), and Dragonite Mamoswine (non Freeze Dry, heh) all potentially end up as set-up fodder to bulky DD Gyarados thanks to Intimidate. Besides that, Gyara does a great job at checking and dealing with nuisances to M-Absol like Keldeo and Chesnaught.

EVs are to outspeed base 115's at +1 and the 192 Atk to ohko Conk at +1, while the rest was put into bulk, allowing for more set-up opportunities. EVs are very much customizable. Idk, Gyara as a partner looks good on paper. thoughts?

Edit: Derp. Absol gets Sucker Punch, still Gyara is good for priority users that dgaf about Sucker: Bulky Sciz, Azu, Conk- or for stuff that unboosted sucker can't kill... :]

Last edited:

silver97

I think the gengar is a mon that can be good here,taking figthing,bug,fairy while absol checks the ghost psychic weaknesses of gengar although mega lop with beat this core i still think its a pretty good partner.
When you talk about mons like absol and gengar defensive synergy is the last of your problems, you cannot consider gengar as a switch-in to fairy moves, or absol your answer to ghost type moves because they're frail, offensive mons That can be be seriously hurted by even resisted attacks and they lack recovery, while a good health is needed to properly do their job throughout the game. So if you nominate gengar it should be more because of their offensive synergy than because of their good combinations of resistances; however it is still a good entry probably because it helps a lot with some threats to absol, especially fairies.

When you talk about mons like absol and gengar defensive synergy is the last of your problems, you cannot consider gengar as a switch-in to fairy moves, or absol your answer to ghost type moves because they're frail, offensive mons That can be be seriously hurt by even resisted attacks and they lack recovery, while a good health is needed to properly do their job throughout the game.
I agree with this entirely, and I could definitely see Sub+Will-O being a potential set or just fully offensive LO

I guess I will do magic guard clef as well then.
I also agree with this. Magic Guard CM could definitely act as a backup win condition, and provides the team with a solid pivot for switches.

I nominate Scarf Gothitelle
I understand and I like the use of Goth, but I'm not sure if it would be the best choice for the team, as it only outspeeds up to base 120 mons and generally just doesn't do the job as well as Latios. It may trap a lot of things, but Beedrill is a threat to the team, and a lot of Lop run Baton Pass. I think Goth should be revisited once a few mons are confirmed.

Last edited:

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Teams built from a defensive point of view (we're weak to Fairies so let's use a steel type!) end up being not very good. Especially considering Absol lends itself more to offense. What we want is something that works well with Absol from an offensive perspective. By that I mean, think to yourself "what does Absol do, and how can I make sure it gets opportunities to do it?" Well in this case Absol is a sweeper, but it's super frail, meaning its setup opportunities will be few and far between. But it does have acces to Magic Bounce. With that, it becomes slightly easier to set up on passive defensive Pokemon. Things like Stall Breaker Mew, Mega Sableye, Cresselia, etc. are what we're aiming to lure in. Preferably, we would also want something that can deal with stuff like Clef and Gardevoir. First thing that come to mind for me is Mega Metagross, but we obviously can't use that (this is why I hate starting builds around a mega, although I suggested one myself so I can't throw stones). The next thing that comes to mind is Landorus-I. It's probably the next best thing in this case. It has trouble breaking through SDef Mew and has to worry about Knock Off, and cannot break through Cresselia. Not only that, it has Sludge Wave to break through Clef, which is a 100% free switch-in to Mega Absol. Now we could either go with SR or Rock Polish. SR provides general utility, while Rock Polish forms an offensive core and helps break through Offense, which Absol absolutely cannot set up against at all. So I'm personally leaning towards RP Landorus. Does it provide defensive synergy? Not really I guess. But we aren't building a defensive team. Once we have a solid offensive core, then we can worry about what we're weak to. Anyway here's the set:

Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Rock Polish

I think that, with the goal of using Absol in mind, this is the best option.

Reserving Specs Dragalge
I think Specs Dragalge might be good, it's bulky, powerful, has good synergy with Absol. It has great special bulk, allowing it to easily take a hit, and Adaptability powers it's STAB moves to insane levels. Drag can take on threats to Absol such as Azumarill, Clefable, Keldeo, and Breloom just to name a few due to it's bulk and typing. It can then fire back a nuclear powered Sludge Wave or Draco Meteor, often leaving nothing alive. Due to its low speed, Drag can afford to invest in bulk, making it one of the more bulky wallbreakers around.

691.png

Dragalge @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 200 HP / 240 SpA / 12 SpD / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Draco Meteor
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
One more thing - if you reserve something, please make sure to actually do it; you really dont need that much of a description.
There have been issues in other threads where people reserved things and never got around to doing them (myself included, I make mistakes).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)