Other OU CCAT - Team Complete (Revisions and Edits Stage)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Croven

certified genius
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Teams built from a defensive point of view (we're weak to Fairies so let's use a steel type!) end up being not very good. Especially considering Absol lends itself more to offense. What we want is something that works well with Absol from an offensive perspective. By that I mean, think to yourself "what does Absol do, and how can I make sure it gets opportunities to do it?" Well in this case Absol is a sweeper, but it's super frail, meaning its setup opportunities will be few and far between. But it does have acces to Magic Bounce. With that, it becomes slightly easier to set up on passive defensive Pokemon. Things like Stall Breaker Mew, Mega Sableye, Cresselia, etc. are what we're aiming to lure in. Preferably, we would also want something that can deal with stuff like Clef and Gardevoir. First thing that come to mind for me is Mega Metagross, but we obviously can't use that (this is why I hate starting builds around a mega, although I suggested one myself so I can't throw stones). The next thing that comes to mind is Landorus-I. It's probably the next best thing in this case. It has trouble breaking through SDef Mew and has to worry about Knock Off, and cannot break through Cresselia. Not only that, it has Sludge Wave to break through Clef, which is a 100% free switch-in to Mega Absol. Now we could either go with SR or Rock Polish. SR provides general utility, while Rock Polish forms an offensive core and helps break through Offense, which Absol absolutely cannot set up against at all. So I'm personally leaning towards RP Landorus. Does it provide defensive synergy? Not really I guess. But we aren't building a defensive team. Once we have a solid offensive core, then we can worry about what we're weak to. Anyway here's the set:

Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Rock Polish

I think that, with the goal of using Absol in mind, this is the best option.
Wouldn't Modest be best on a RP set? I haven't used many RP Lando's, but from what I've seen Modest is a good way to go (or Rash if you're Knock Off, but yeah)

Anyway, I'm gonna just put out Talonflame

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk/ 4 Def/ 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Swords Dance
-Taunt
-Brave Bird
-Roost

Alright, first thing I see when I see Absol is that it just detests Fairies, Fightings, and Bugs. Fightings less so with Play Rough, but most carry Mach Punch which can OHKO Absol before it can smack them, so eh. When I see these weaknesses, my mind immediately goes to Talonflame. Taunt SD Tflame is particularly good right now, and can easily clean up Stall or Offense given a single opportunity. It easily deals with Conk, Breloom, Clef, Gard, and other annoying mons that can beat Absol 1v1. SD makes it another win con, and Taunt helps it become setup fodder for a lot of the metagame. Roost is there to easily get back up to full and Brave Bird is obligatory STAB. While it doesn't lure out things that Absol can set up on (like Halcyon.'s Lando) it does deal with what it dislikes a lot. So I'm just tossing out Tflame as my offering. Oh, and EVs are tweakable, I got lazy and slapped on a standard 252/252 spread, so please do edit it.

Sigh, need to actually read the thread before posting. Sorry for the confusion, seems I accidentally did the same set as someone else who got to it first.

Last edited:
I'm going to repost what I posted in the last thread:

I think that we should build around and underrated sweeper. Using the same megas over and over again gets a bit stale and I think building around something like Lucario would be more challenging and fun.

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Crunch / Bullet Punch / Ice Punch / Iron Tail

Lucario is a pretty straightforward pokemon that is often overlooked in favor of more powerful megas. I have yet to see it be used well and on a good team, but I'm sure as a community we can successfully build a team around Lucario. The first three moves along with an adamant nature and given evs are pretty much mandatory for any Lucario set, but we have a slew of choices for the 4th slot. I think it would be best to treat Lucario's moveset like greninja's, that is, wait until the team is built and then decide on the coverage move that best suits the team. Anyways, I think Lucario would fit best on fast paced offensive teams with constant pressure and maybe some hazard stacking. It doesnt really mind hazards on its own side due to its clutch 4x resistance to stealth rock which eases some of the limitations on team building considering hazard removal isnt a necesity, more of a luxury if there is space for it. Lucario has a unique ability to shit on stall and offense alike thanks to swords dance and e-speed, however, it often has trouble switching in and setting up. I believe a well-built team can illuminate Lucario's perks in beating some of the most common and best playstyles so it can be used to its fullest potential. I understand Lucario is hard to use and build around, but I think we can do it :D

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yes it can be Modest. In this case I went with Timid to ensure it can actually revenge kill Mega Garde, but if we end up adding a better check to it later in the team building, we can change it to Modest.

Wouldn't Modest be best on a RP set? I haven't used many RP Lando's, but from what I've seen Modest is a good way to go (or Rash if you're Knock Off, but yeah)

Anyway, I'm gonna just put out Talonflame

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk/ 4 Def/ 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Swords Dance
-Taunt
-Brave Bird
-Roost

Alright, first thing I see when I see Absol is that it just detests Fairies, Fightings, and Bugs. Fightings less so with Play Rough, but most carry Mach Punch which can OHKO Absol before it can smack them, so eh. When I see these weaknesses, my mind immediately goes to Talonflame. Taunt SD Tflame is particularly good right now, and can easily clean up Stall or Offense given a single opportunity. It easily deals with Conk, Breloom, Clef, Gard, and other annoying mons that can beat Absol 1v1. SD makes it another win con, and Taunt helps it become setup fodder for a lot of the metagame. Roost is there to easily get back up to full and Brave Bird is obligatory STAB. While it doesn't lure out things that Absol can set up on (like Halcyon.'s Lando) it does deal with what it dislikes a lot. So I'm just tossing out Tflame as my offering. Oh, and EVs are tweakable, I got lazy and slapped on a standard 252/252 spread, so please do edit it.
isn't there a talonflame set already?

silver97

GUNDELEROS WE DO THE PATTO DI SANGUE

I think that we should build around and underrated sweeper. Using the same megas over and over again gets a bit stale and I think building around something like Lucario would be more challenging and fun.

Lucario @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed

Lucario is a pretty straightforward pokemon that is often overlooked in favor of more powerful megas. I have yet to see it be used well and on a good team, but I'm sure as a community we can successfully build a team around Lucario. The first three moves along with an adamant nature and given evs are pretty much mandatory for any Lucario set, but we have a slew of choices for the 4th slot. I think it would be best to treat Lucario's moveset like greninja's, that is, wait until the team is built and then decide on the coverage move that best suits the team. Anyways, I think Lucario would fit best on fast paced offensive teams with constant pressure and maybe some hazard stacking. It doesnt really mind hazards on its own side due to its clutch 4x resistance to stealth rock which eases some of the limitations on team building considering hazard removal isnt a necesity, more of a luxury if there is space for it. Lucario has a unique ability to shit on stall and offense alike thanks to swords dance and e-speed, however, it often has trouble switching in and setting up. I believe a well-built team can illuminate Lucario's perks in beating some of the most common and best playstyles so it can be used to its fullest potential. I understand Lucario is hard to use and build around, but I think we can do it :D
Man we already decided to build around absol, now we're looking for good teammates

Gengar could work well as it resists all of Absol's weaknesses and as a special attacker, beats many things that give Absol trouble, such as Chesnaught (Wave> Bomb). This core is still weak to stuff like AV conk though, so it will need some more support to succeed.
Gengar @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hex
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sludge Wave
Gengar's extremely versatile so this set can be changed if necessary to fit the needs of the team. I like Will-O because it can give Absol more opportunities to setup on burnt targets.

Lucario @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed

I'd actually have been all for this a few months ago. I have a fairly successful XY team featuring Lucario and it had potential to be a big threat in that meta. Unfortunately, ORAS was extremely unkind to it as it has bad matchups with virtually every relevant new mega.

Last edited:

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Absol's fraility is a big disadvantage (defenses are even lower than Greninja) so you have to be aware for pretty much every attack. From a defensive point Talonflame, Tentacruel and Victini seems good but I am more looking for something that supports it defensively. Like said in my earlier post I'm posting about Jirachi as Jirachi can give it a free switch in with U-Turn, give it another sweeping with Healing Wish and kill weaknesses of Absol. I think Play Rough is a better option on Absol, as it helps you past fighting types and prevents you getting walled by fairies. You still have a weakness to fairies and bugs but I think Jirachi can take most of them including Clefable and Scizor

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Fire Punch
- Healing Wish

silver97

GUNDELEROS WE DO THE PATTO DI SANGUE
Absol's fraility is a big disadvantage (defenses are even lower than Greninja) so you have to be aware for pretty much every attack. From a defensive point Talonflame, Tentacruel and Victini seems good but I am more looking for something that supports it defensively.
Imo since we're talking about an offensive pokemon the first thing we should care about is to pair it up with an offensive mon to form a solid offensive core and then start building the team with support mons

Like said in my earlier post I'm posting about Jirachi as Jirachi can give it a free switch in with U-Turn, give it another sweeping with Healing Wish and kill weaknesses of Absol.
Scarf Rachi isn't really gonna give Absol a free switch anytime soon with his high speed U-Turn, and I don't personally see Healing Wish working too well on a mon that dies to almost any hit in the OU meta.
Right now I don't really have much time, but later I'll post something about possible teammates.

Last edited:

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Scarf Rachi isn't really gonna give Absol a free switch anytime soon with his high speed U-Turn, and I don't personally see Healing Wish working too well on a mon that dies to almost any hit in the OU meta.
Right now I don't really have much time, but later I'll post something about possible teammates.
Jirachi still gets momentum when the opponent switches which will happen pretty often because Jirachi can force pokemon like Clefable and Scizor out.
Healing Wish still works as Absol will probably still be worn down even without status. Having full health is pretty necessary for absol to sweep

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Alright, time for the second round of voting!

Here are the Pokemon you can vote for (make sure to bold your post):

You may vote for up to 2 Pokemon. Voting will be up for 48 Hours.

SD Talonflame
Specs Magnezone
Stealth Rock Clefable
Scarf Latios
Scarf Keldeo
DD Gyarados
RP Landorus
Specs Dragalge
SD Lucario
Scarf Jirachi
Gengar

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)