OU Cores in the BW2 Metagame

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You have a pretty nice offensive core so grats for that. Just bear in mind LO Lati@s look annoying for your core to face (as well as other offensive dragons). You might want to consider Fight Gem or Focus Sash on Breloom as well as a general sort of item, but I suspect thats up to you.

If you are very worried about rain, you could switch to Giga Drain on Volcarona which hits Keldeo and Politoed very hard. You could even run Passho Berry or something if you were super worried about water attacks.

My current core, which causes quite a lot of rage! It's very hard to stop a team built around tailwind if you don't predict almost every turn correctly (you basically want to get the full 3 turns out of tailwind, ie using only just before you faint), on the flip side I can lose with a landslide if I get outpredicted very well.

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Tailwind
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Taunt

When combined with

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Band
Trait: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Fusion Bolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Gives a very potent late game sweeping combo. Whimsicott also counters the two most common volt turn members and having a Keldeo check and a way to deal with pokemon like Jellicent and politoed is awesome. HP fire eliminates Scizor which is the #1 target for the core to be able to deal with.

roles: Early game whimsicott usually pops out to taunt SR users and lure/ko pokemon like ferrothorn/forretress/scizor. If its still alive for the late game its used for the tailwind. Kyube is a hole puncher early game if applicable, otherwise it gets 2-3 ko's late game or mid game with the boost of the tailwind.

Haxorus can replace Kyurem for banded EQ (excellent alternative late game sweeper) whilst Tornadus can replace whimsicott for tailwind. I've used all four before as well but the weaknesses begin to stack up and its difficult to support a four core, I ended up getting to only 1846 with all four, but with just one tailwinder and 1 outrager with a few other pokemon to take advantage of the benefits, I've gone as high as 1960 :)

For those wondering why I don't use a pokemon like Heatran, Nidoking, Landorus or Terrakion, its because banded outrage is so strong you can't really "predictably" switch around it, barring switching in with steels. Gyarados and Volcarona work well with the core though because they can snowball with set up moves if you try switching around too much.

edit: I still use pokemon like Terrakion on my team, if they are decent out of the tailwind they're fine, they're just not the primary recipient of tailwind.

dcae

plaza athénée
is a defending SCL Championis a Past SCL Champion
My current core, which causes quite a lot of rage! It's very hard to stop a team built around tailwind if you don't predict almost every turn correctly (you basically want to get the full 3 turns out of tailwind, ie using only just before you faint), on the flip side I can lose with a landslide if I get outpredicted very well.

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Tailwind
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Taunt

When combined with

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Band
Trait: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Fusion Bolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Gives a very potent late game sweeping combo. Whimsicott also counters the two most common volt turn members and having a Keldeo check and a way to deal with pokemon like Jellicent and politoed is awesome. HP fire eliminates Scizor which is the #1 target for the core to be able to deal with.

roles: Early game whimsicott usually pops out to taunt SR users and lure/ko pokemon like ferrothorn/forretress/scizor. If its still alive for the late game its used for the tailwind. Kyube is a hole puncher early game if applicable, otherwise it gets 2-3 ko's late game or mid game with the boost of the tailwind.

Haxorus can replace Kyurem for banded EQ (excellent alternative late game sweeper) whilst Tornadus can replace whimsicott for tailwind. I've used all four before as well but the weaknesses begin to stack up and its difficult to support a four core, I ended up getting to only 1846 with all four, but with just one tailwinder and 1 outrager with a few other pokemon to take advantage of the benefits, I've gone as high as 1960 :)

For those wondering why I don't use a pokemon like Heatran, Nidoking, Landorus or Terrakion, its because banded outrage is so strong you can't really "predictably" switch around it, barring switching in with steels. Gyarados and Volcarona work well with the core though because they can snowball with set up moves if you try switching around too much.

edit: I still use pokemon like Terrakion on my team, if they are decent out of the tailwind they're fine, they're just not the primary recipient of tailwind.
I tried a Tailwind team extremely similar to this, but my Tailwinder was Tornadus. It could hit hard with Hurricane + Superpower, and then sack itself to Tailwind Kyurem-B in and then wreck stuff. However, Kyurem-B, after Stealth Rock damage, can be killed by priority, which is why my Scarfer is Keldeo, because I pair this core with Politoed. Keldeo can then just spam Hydro Pump and clean up the opposing team.

The problem I found with this core is that it is too easy to stop. Tailwind can be stalled out through Protect, and Steels tend to keep healthy as long as Kyurem-B is still around. Though it hurts like hell, Protect can reduce its Outraging time to merely 1 round, making it easy revengeable by anything faster, which is quite a lot in the current metagame. However, I hadn't thought of using Whimsicott, so I might try that out, because your set seems very interesing.

This looks like it could actually work really well. Everything minus starmie is a bit slow though.
I would probably run Rock Polish over Zen Headbutt on Metagross, taking care of that problem.

Dcae: This is actually a great idea, but pair it with a Rapid Spinner.

I've been trying to pull together a decent Hail team for a while, and I've wanted to keep it based around a core that I thought was interesting a good while ago now. Abomasnow and Kingdra have decent enough synergy with each other (by that I guess I mean Kingdra resists Fire-type attacks), and their roles don't clash that much. In test teams I ran with them both, they supported each other pretty well, it's just coming up with the rest of the team that held it back.

Abomasnow @ Expert Belt | Snow Warning
Lonely | 252 Atk / 144 SAtk / 112 Spd | 30 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
Wood Hammer | Blizzard | Ice Shard | Hidden Power [Fire]

Queen Bitch @ Leftovers | Swift Swim
Adamant | 40 HP / 228 Atk / 12 Def / 228 Spd
Dragon Dance | Substitute | Waterfall | Outrage

Core focuses around countering opposing weather, which Kingdra is great at (between its STAB and ability, sand and rain teams can be covered well enough, and sun still takes a beating with boosts), and letting Kingdra set up at all, which Abomasnow can actually do decently - usually Ice Shard to weaken or clear opposing faster Dragon-types. Kingdra can switch in pretty well against CB Scizor's Bullet Punch, taking 29-34%, which I found was a pretty damn common way to target Abomasnow.

Terrakion seems like a weakness, so I'd usually run a Scizor alongside them, but eh. I really think I can go on and make a great team with them, but some feedback would be good.

I've been trying to pull together a decent Hail team for a while, and I've wanted to keep it based around a core that I thought was interesting a good while ago now. Abomasnow and Kingdra have decent enough synergy with each other (by that I guess I mean Kingdra resists Fire-type attacks), and their roles don't clash that much. In test teams I ran with them both, they supported each other pretty well, it's just coming up with the rest of the team that held it back.

Abomasnow @ Expert Belt | Snow Warning
Lonely | 252 Atk / 144 SAtk / 112 Spd | 30 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
Wood Hammer | Blizzard | Ice Shard | Hidden Power [Fire]

Queen Bitch @ Leftovers | Swift Swim
Adamant | 40 HP / 228 Atk / 12 Def / 228 Spd
Dragon Dance | Substitute | Waterfall | Outrage

Core focuses around countering opposing weather, which Kingdra is great at (between its STAB and ability, sand and rain teams can be covered well enough, and sun still takes a beating with boosts), and letting Kingdra set up at all, which Abomasnow can actually do decently - usually Ice Shard to weaken or clear opposing faster Dragon-types. Kingdra can switch in pretty well against CB Scizor's Bullet Punch, taking 29-34%, which I found was a pretty damn common way to target Abomasnow.

Terrakion seems like a weakness, so I'd usually run a Scizor alongside them, but eh. I really think I can go on and make a great team with them, but some feedback would be good.
I quite like this core. Like you said its weak to Terrakion so i'd suggest Sheer Force Scarf Nidoking. Takes any move Terrakion throws at it (bar rare EQ) and OHKOs with Earth Power. Synergizes with Aboma pretty well (Aboma takes water, ground and ice moves, Nido takes the fighting, rock etc).

Nidoking @ Choice Scarf
Modest
EVs: 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
Sheer Force
-Earth Power
-Ice Beam
-Fire Blast
-Thunderbolt

D i a b l o

This core is based on the simple synergistic FGW core (grass-fire-water) used primarily in Hail (u don't say?); Abomasnow and Victini have the task of creating havoc in the opposing team while Starmie has the task of supporting them, removing the SR and control some pokémon that could cause problems.
The EVs in Abomasnow were calculated to overcome Tyranitar and Jellicent in most cases and while the EVs in SAtk are calculated to make a 2HKO on Ferrothorn forever.

Abomasnow (M) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Snow Warning
EVs: 200 Atk / 144 SAtk / 164 Spd
Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Victory Star
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- V-create
- U-turn
- Bolt Strike
- Zen Headbutt

Something I'm seeing a lot of that doesn't quite click with me is that you guys using Abomasnow are using partners that CAN LEARN BLIZZARD and aren't. That makes me a bit sad, seeing as Starmie and Kingdra can both learn it, and it provides extra coverage versus things like Ferrothorn, Flying types, etc.

Maybe it's just my Doubles Brain going off, but BlizzSpam is so powerful, that I see NOT using it to be a waste, especially when paired off with something that gives you 100% Accuracy with it.

I believe that the number one reason why people are so hesitant of using Blizzard even on Hail teams is that Abomasnow is simply too easy to lose. Outside of Hail, Blizzard only has 70% accuracy, and using Ice Beam's 100% accuracy under all weathers is far more appealing.

Unless Abomasnow is able to help win the weather war while keeping its weather up (which is hard because of its weakness to hazards), Blizzard in my opinion isn't a very viable option to take up.

Honestly, the reason I don't use it is that, more often than not if I'm up against a weather team - which happens a lot, as you can imagine - the other person is going to have their weather up more than me. Abomasnow's not great, let's make that clear, its typing is pretty terrible and it being weak to Stealth Rock is a huge drawback. If I'm going to be running an Ice-type move, I want it to be viable outside of a difficult to keep up weather effect.

Fair enough. Like I said, it might just be my Doubles experience, but BlizzSpam is so powerful that I find it hard to believe folks aren't using it on a Hail Team.

Celebi@leftovers Natural Cure
252 SpA/ 216 HP/ 40 Spe
Nasty plot
Leaf storm
Recover
HP Ice

Politoed@leftovers Drizzle
252 Hp/252 SpA/4 Spe
Ice beam
Hydro pump
Hidden power Electric
Focus blast

Scizor@choice band technician
240 Hp/ 252 atk/ 16 Spe
U-Turn
Pursuit
Bullet punch
Superpower

This is my first attempt at making a core for a team what do you guys think additional team mates should posses and what are the obvious weaknesses. Please pick it apart I was thinking of adding cloyster as a team mate other than that nothing really.

Disclaimer:
The following core could be considered is a gimmick, although it can be very effective and not that hard to pull of. It is more of an fun idea for some casual laddering.

Durant @ Life Orb
Trait: Truant
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws
- Iron Head
- X-Scissor
- Entrainment

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Durant can replace the opponent's ability with Truant via Entrainment. Durant is the only Pokemon that has this combination and it's like it was made for it. Base 109 speed is fast enough to outspeed most things and its paper thin special bulk actually helps it. Because as soon as it has tricked Truant onto the opposing Pokemon it is supposed to die, so that Dugtrio can come in and trap it. From this point it will use Hone Claws on every turn the opponent is loafing around, while protecting on the on the attacking turn. As soon it is at +6 Dugtrio can sweep pretty easily with EdgeQuake coverage and base 120 speed. Focus Sash let's it survive revenge killing attempts.
Problems for this core are non grounded Pokemon, more than priority user and walls like Skarmory, which can live +6 Stone Edge.
All in all the core isn't as bad as it looks, although it is still pretty bad, and really fun when you manage to pull it of.

Here is replay of me sweeping a whole team with just these two: http://www.pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-17975167

Just a thought, anything that outspeeds Durant will OHKO(not much but considering it's hopeless Special Defense and HP, yeah...) so why not use a Focus Sash? Make sure you actually get Entrainment.

Just a thought, anything that outspeeds Durant will OHKO(not much but considering it's hopeless Special Defense and HP, yeah...) so why not use a Focus Sash? Make sure you actually get Entrainment.
I rely only on my speed, because I actually want to be OHKOed so that I can trap them with Dugtrio immediately. There's good chance they switch as soon as they received Truant, ruining the strategy. Base 109 is still plenty good and most things that can outspeed like Gengar and Lati@s can't be trapped by Dugtrio anyways due to Levitate.

A core which I've tested and will feature in my newest RMT that I will make.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Natural Cure
Calm Nature
EVs: 252 HP/236 SpD/20 Spe
-Psychic
-Swords Dance
-Recover
-Baton Pass

Lucario @ Life Orb
Justified
Adamant Nature
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
-Swords Dance
-Extremespeed
-Bullet Punch
-Close Combat

The basic idea of this core is to combat the standard Ttar+Lando+Keldeo core.

I would use Celebi and try to set up on either Landorus or Keldeo and boost to +2 attack. Then Tyranitar tries to Pursuit trap me and I use Baton Pass, to escape to Lucari, who genrally laughs at Banded Crunches and Pursuits. Since Celebi has (hopefully) boosted +2 with Swords Dance, and Justified raises Lucario's attack by +1 when hit by a dark move, Lucario is at +3 attack and this alone allows it to sweep. However, since Ttar switches out in fear of a swift OHKO, I can use SD on Lucario to get to[/B]+5 attack[/B].

Common Pursuiters
Scizor
Weavile
Tyranitar
Dugtrio
Toxicroak

At +1, Lucario OHKOs Scizor with CC, beats Weavile AND Tyranitar with Close Combat or Bullet Punch, OHKOs Ttar with Close Combat and 2HKOs with Bullet Punch, 2HKOs Toxicroak with Espeed and CC and at +2 OHKOS it, and beats Dugtrio with +1 Espeed (and wrecks it even without a boost).

At +2, Terrakion is KOed by Bullet Punch and Latios is KOed with ESpeed after Stealth Rock.

At +3, Keldeo and bulkier Landorus Incarnate are wrecked with Espeed after Stealth Rock, the most common special sweepers.

After this, even those who resist Extremespeed and Bullet Punch take HUGE damage from it.

The thing that isn't 2HKOed is Utility Jellicent.

that is a really cool core. I would rather have crunch over bullet punch though.... Crunch at least lets you beat jelly and celebi.... Also I would change psychic to either zen headbutt or seed bomb so at least you have a back up sweeping plan... but excellent idea.

Too many offensive cores in this thread :/ Imo the number one defensive core at the moment is Celebi / Jirachi / Landorus-T, which covers virtually every relevant metagame threat bar Fire types - which is why these pokemon, or Celebi + Jirachi in particular, are paired in half the top ladder teams nowadays.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I find Celebi/Heatran/Landorus-T to be better as a defensive core, since Heatran can sponge Fire type attacks, while Jirachi can't. The only real advantage Jirachi has over Heatran is its ability to pass huge wishes to Landorus-T (which can't heal on its own), and being neutral to Fighting. The only thing I can think of that beats this core is mixed Infernape, but seriously, who actually uses that anymore?

Well yeah, Jirachi and Tran are always pretty interchangeable; apart from what you mentioned, Rachi also gives a Rock resist and handles SubRoost Kyurem, plus Rain is so much more common than Sun atm, so I generally prefer him.

The biggest problem I have with defensive cores is that they're fundamentally inefficient compared to offensive cores. Offense can focus on wearing down one defensive niche, and so most or all of its members will be effective in any given matchup against a defensive team. But defense can't specialize like this without leaving holes against other threats, and it doesn't really have any compensating advantages besides the lessened reliance on prediction.

I like the combination of Jirachi with Landorus-T better than with Heatran, because then you would have to deal with two Pokemon that solely on Leftovers to recover health. On the other hand Wish passing from Jirachi to Landorus is easy as pie and let's you counteract the wearing down process that troubles defensive cores so much like George Eliot mentioned.

I currently use this core:

@ White Herb
Trait: Drought
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Hasty Nature
- Hypnosis
- SolarBeam
- Quick Attack
- Overheat

@ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Careful Nature
- Baton Pass
- Work Up
- Payback
- Moonlight

@ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Mild Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Earthquake
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis

Ninetales sets sun for Umbreon and Venusaur up and fills some niches with Overheat and Quick Attack. Umbreon's Work Up is a great move because it boosts the Attack and the Special Attack. Payback hits some Psychic and Ghost Pokémon like Alakazaam and Gengar hard. Unfortunately Umbreon does not learn Growth, but it's ok. Venusaur's Chlorophyll boost makes him to a fast mixed Sweeper. Sludge Bomb is the main attacking move, Giga Drain and Synthesis give recovery and Earthquake hits Steel and Fire Pokémon well. I am very satisfied with this core.

that is a really cool core. I would rather have crunch over bullet punch though.... Crunch at least lets you beat jelly and celebi.... Also I would change psychic to either zen headbutt or seed bomb so at least you have a back up sweeping plan... but excellent idea.
Psychic is for beating Breloom. ZenHeadbutt can't do that and Seed Bomb is a worse STAB option. Psychic has better neutral coverage, and Zen Headbutt just is not too strong an attack.

@Mari this core is extremely dependent on sun, and Air Balloon Heatran walls this to hell and back. I'd say get rid of Umbreon (he has like no purpose here) and switch for Terrakion. This pokemon forces out Heatran and could kill it if it gets the chance.

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Justified
EVs: 4 HP/252 Ak/252 Spe
Jolly
-Stone Edge
-Close Combat
-Quick Attack
-Swords Dance

This Terrakion set gives you wall breaking ability so Venusaur can sweep more easily late game. Also swap Ninetales' Quick Attack for Sunny Day, since Sun is so dependent on its weather being up.

Terrakion also befenits from having its water weakness nulified.

@Mari this core is extremely dependent on sun, and Air Balloon Heatran walls this to hell and back. I'd say get rid of Umbreon (he has like no purpose here) and switch for Terrakion. This pokemon forces out Heatran and could kill it if it gets the chance.

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Justified
EVs: 4 HP/252 Ak/252 Spe
Jolly
-Stone Edge
-Close Combat
-Quick Attack
-Swords Dance

This Terrakion set gives you wall breaking ability so Venusaur can sweep more easily late game. Also swap Ninetales' Quick Attack for Sunny Day, since Sun is so dependent on its weather being up.

Terrakion also befenits from having its water weakness nulified.
Did you even bother to look at how the core works before you posted? While yes it is quite dependent on sun, umbreon is vital in order to baton pass boosts to venusaur, who is otherwise quite weak without them. Umbreon is reasonably bulky too, which provides some nice defense otherwise, and can at least pop the air balloon with payback. Additionally, while the water weakness may be nullified, terrakion will still not appreciate scald hax.

I would change a few moves on the core somewhat though.
-Ninetales would like some form of recovery at least, so I'd be dropping quick attack for pain split, and also hypnosis for will-o-wisp, which can be used multiple times rather than hypnosis due to sleep clause.
-Umbreon: Foul play over payback may work better; though you can't take advantage of your own work-up boosts anymore, You'd be able to inflict very hefty damage on physical set-up sweepers. I'll leave that choice to you.
-Venusaur: Would still like growth on it's moveset somewhere, preferably over synthesis. If you can't pass any boosts with umbreon, you can still get it in rather safely, and then proceed to boost. Also 72 EV's need to be moved from your speed stat to HP, in order to be able to survive a mamoswine ice shard. 252 Spe EV's are overkill on venusaur anyways.

Did you even bother to look at how the core works before you posted? While yes it is quite dependent on sun, umbreon is vital in order to baton pass boosts to venusaur, who is otherwise quite weak without them. Umbreon is reasonably bulky too, which provides some nice defense otherwise, and can at least pop the air balloon with payback. Additionally, while the water weakness may be nullified, terrakion will still not appreciate scald hax.

I would change a few moves on the core somewhat though.
-Ninetales would like some form of recovery at least, so I'd be dropping quick attack for pain split, and also hypnosis for will-o-wisp, which can be used multiple times rather than hypnosis due to sleep clause.
-Umbreon: Foul play over payback may work better; though you can't take advantage of your own work-up boosts anymore, You'd be able to inflict very hefty damage on physical set-up sweepers. I'll leave that choice to you.
-Venusaur: Would still like growth on it's moveset somewhere, preferably over synthesis. If you can't pass any boosts with umbreon, you can still get it in rather safely, and then proceed to boost. Also 72 EV's need to be moved from your speed stat to HP, in order to be able to survive a mamoswine ice shard. 252 Spe EV's are overkill on venusaur anyways.
I was on my phone so I wasnt able to post a full reply. I forgot to add put Growth on Venusaur if u swap Umbreon for Terrakion. And Umbreeon maybe bulky, but monodark is sub-par typing. Weak to the most common attack types in OU, Bug and fighting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)