Palkia/Giratina/Dialga vs Mewtwo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Browsing through the videos of the championship matches on the official site, I'm seeing a lot of representation of the gen IV legends (Palkia, Dialga, and Giratina), as well as gen III (Groudon & Kyogre), but very, very few Ho-ohs, Lugias, and Mewtwos.

Considering Mewtwo's 130 base speed, 154 base Sp. Atk, and all-around solid movepool, weighted against the massive prevalence of Blizzard and other ice moves being used against the Dragons & Groudon, there must be something I'm overlooking that influences people's choice in this regard.

So... Why dragons and elemental monsters over frankenkitty?

He's a glass cannon, doesn't put out any weather effects, and gets KO'd by pretty much everything Kyogre has to dish out.

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
not to mention the Fact that alot of trick room teams are running around and he is too fast no matter what you give him.

skarm

I HAVE HOTEL ROOMS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Mewtwo is actually pretty grand at clean up, but it just isn't worth it typically when you have to factor in his defenses. Mewtwo, like it has been stated, isn't a team player: no weather effects.

Kinneas

puffoon
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Lack of resistances is the main problem that keeps Mewtwo from being dominant. It's all well and good being able to hit off a base 154 Satk, but the truth is it doesn't actually turn many 2HKOs into OHKOs, and not having the great water resist that the dragons do makes Mewtwo far too frail. It can still find a niche on some teams but I honestly believed the dragon trio are better suited to most roles.

In my opinion mewtow is one of the best clean up pokemon. I ran a timid mewtwo with choice specs and it pretty much could have single handidly taken me to the fourth round. Blizzard, Grass Knot, Flamethrower, and Aura sphere has great coverage. Mewtwo can take out mostly anything with this spread not to mention can out speed anyone except the random ninjask or a scarfed pokemon. Imo Mewtwo can be a great addition to any team.

Grass Knot does not 1HKO Kyogre in most instances.

Simply stated...
Kyogre+STAB+free weather>Mewtwo

Timid Mewtwo with Choice Specs using Grass Knot on a non-special defense boosting Kyogre with 6 HP EVs hits for 97.1% - 114.6%. I'd say that's pretty legit.

Grass Knot does not 1HKO Kyogre in most instances.

Simply stated...
Kyogre+STAB+free weather>Mewtwo
Does it need to ohko it or just hurt it enough where water spout doesn't really do anything. I cant think of anything else that can ohko a mewtwo from kyogre and not to mention what CCM30 said. Mewtwo can really wrek a team up if used right.

Mewtwo is on my team, so obviously I think he's good enough to use, buuut he does have his weak spots, thas all i'm sayin.

Palkia and Dialga also have arguably superior typing and a (largely) unresisted STAB attack with Dragon, which gives them the ability to deal some impressive neutral damage. Then of course, Kyogre is just about the god of all Weather Pokemon, and compliments well with Palkia while Groudon...er...has its uses...somewhere...well, then again, I'd lump Groudon into the same category as Mewtwo, though mainly its because he has an inferior weather effect.

While I don't consider Mewtwo a glass cannon by any means (Base 90 Def/SpD is by no means shabby), he doesn't have any resistances going for him that are useful. His own range of SpA lets him compliment many weather teams I also think (Blizzard, Thunder, etc), but they gain no STAB or other useful effects. Plus unlike singles, he can't sit there and CM/Bulk Up to then destroy things either. Pretty much like it's been mentioned, he's best situated for clean-up duty; no Pokemon can still really expect to go 1 on 1 with Mewtwo, but throw in a partner and he has trouble then.

I agree for the most part. I still think that a specs mewtwo doing blizzard for neutral damage, can take on two pokemon, or even taking on two as long as they are slower. Mewtwo is the fastest (common) pokemon in this meta. I think that this speed makes him have good potential to come back from a 2:1 slum. I just like mewtwo for his speed and power, which I think are just as important as weather in this meta.

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
For a while I used a Choice Scarf Mewtwo. It allows you to use Modest and give added bulk since you don't have to invest much in Speed. Just a few EVs allows you to outspeed Scarfogre. Pair it with a fast Fake Out user and you shut down the standard Ogre the Top (yes i am making it happen) lead. Grass Knot takes Kyogre down to a level where Water Spout is worthless while blocking Hitmontop's priority with Fake Out. Of course, you risk being hit by Top's Sucker Punch next turn but Mewtwo can always switch out to something that doesn't mind being hit by a weak Water Spout (if the ogre doesn't switch out) and get a free turn out of it.

Mewtwo ohko kyogre grassknot

I went to the southeast regional, and I decided to use mewtwo. It knew shadow ball, grassknot, aura sphere, and psychic. It was modest with max sp.A EV's and OHKOed all kyogre i came across with grassknot.

Mewtwo is brilliant in areas of the game. But is required to be supported by another in order to do considerable pain to any enemy, though it has great speed, it is also a blessing in disguise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)