Pikachu Cup [Online Competition]

Are there any teams a beginner like me can use easily? I managed to win 4 battles in the Fairy Cup back then, so I thought I try the Pikachu Cup, too.

Are there any teams a beginner like me can use easily? I managed to win 4 battles in the Fairy Cup back then, so I thought I try the Pikachu Cup, too.
Unfortunately there's only 3-4 teams posted in this thread. I guess I could recommend mine because of the simple strategy. Coil with Eelektros 2 or three times and apply pressure with the rest of the team. I would recommend switching Zebstrika for Mega Ampharos as Zebstrika relies a bit more on prediction to use effectively and also switch pikachu for raichu(same set as the pikachu but with air balloon or focus sash) if you don't care about the pikachu prize.

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Power Gem
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Protect

A complete waste of a moveslot. Dragon Pulse is 127.5 power and a super-effective HP ground is 120. The only thing you're hitting harder with HP ground is rotom-H (which you have power gem for) and dedenne (which nobody uses).

Use agility or cotton spore or something instead.
Oh that's right HP ground is pretty useless I just suggested a full offensive set as he said he was a beginner so I didn't know if he will be able to use those moves effectively. Anyway, what speed EVs do you run on Ampharos for Agility and Cotton Spore to be useful?

Last edited:

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Oh that's right HP ground is pretty useless I just suggested a full offensive set as he said he was a beginner so I didn't know if he will be able to use those moves effectively. Anyway, what speed EVs do you run on Ampharos for Agility and Cotton Spore to be useful?
Here is my ampharos:

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Plus
EVs: 60 HP / 252 SpA / 196 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Power Gem
- Agility
- Protect

The EVs let it outspeed raichu after an agility.

I don't use cotton spore but I think someone else on this thread does?

Last edited:
A complete waste of a moveslot. Dragon Pulse is 127.5 power and a super-effective HP ground is 120. The only thing you're hitting harder with HP ground is rotom-H (which you have power gem for) and dedenne (which nobody uses).

Use agility or cotton spore or something instead.
Also Magnezone. But, yeah, HP Ground is a waste on Ampharos.

Bulldoze is decent, though it helps to run a non-minus-Attack nature then (possibly Mild).

EDIT -- But I've recently switched to Agility and haven't looked back.

Last edited:
I'm really tempted to use an Electivire + Eviolite Magneton with Gravity. Without a Wide Guard user in the metagame, Electivire's EQ could be pretty potent (especially if there aren't too many Mega Manectrics in use to Intimidate). The problem is that a Choice Scarf one outspeeds many of its threats, but lacks the power to OHKO too much. Choice Band has the power it needs, but can't outspeed things like Soak Lanturn that could cripple it.
Pair it with a tailwind emolga

Finally found this thread.

I was up to the 24th spot on the Pikachu Cup ladder and then I started tying out soe new combos.

I was curious about Soak though. Last night my Motor Drive Electivire was soaked and then hit with Thunderbolt. I have not read anywhere about Soak cancelling out ability.

I have seen this once, but 1V1 this took out my Mega Ampharos, Sub/Toxic/Recycle Dedenne. So annoying that with a Sitrus Berry, 1/4 health recover, and Cheek Pouch, 1/3 health recover, it was dropping endless subs.

Another question, Rotom-Frost seems really inaccurate for me, may just be my luck as I saw it hit more often from opponent's.

Magnezone/Electrode with Magnetic Flux teamed with Ampharos, or any other Plus/Minus Pokémon, Allows for Ampharos to Protect to get DEF/SP.DEF bonus, but usually this is was done as leads.

Plusle/Minun with Entrainment can pass Plus or Minus to teammates for that 50% SP.ATK bonus, giving less electric attacks flying around.

Zebstrika with Ion Deluge is a great counter to Heliolisk. Ion Deluge has a +1 priority and will change Hyper Voice to Electric and powers up Zebstrika's Motor Drive and any teammates Motor Drive/Volt Absorb/etc.

Emolgas, I found the bulky builds to be more effective setting up. Out of my opponents, Ice Punch Electivire would OHKO any Emolga with no HP/DEF investment and any bulkier Emolga would survive and get Tailwind setup.

I also found that very little teams on Showdown were setting anything up.

I also tried a Round team and it did okay, but just petered out late game.

I have not had my Electivire burned too often, I also carry a Luxray, Intimidate, so maybe they are thinking I would switch in with Guts.

Sing Minun is fun, but really a Plan C save your ass kind of fun.

Finally found this thread.

I was up to the 24th spot on the Pikachu Cup ladder and then I started tying out soe new combos.

I was curious about Soak though. Last night my Motor Drive Electivire was soaked and then hit with Thunderbolt. I have not read anywhere about Soak cancelling out ability.

I have seen this once, but 1V1 this took out my Mega Ampharos, Sub/Toxic/Recycle Dedenne. So annoying that with a Sitrus Berry, 1/4 health recover, and Cheek Pouch, 1/3 health recover, it was dropping endless subs.

Another question, Rotom-Frost seems really inaccurate for me, may just be my luck as I saw it hit more often from opponent's.

Magnezone/Electrode with Magnetic Flux teamed with Ampharos, or any other Plus/Minus Pokémon, Allows for Ampharos to Protect to get DEF/SP.DEF bonus, but usually this is was done as leads.

Plusle/Minun with Entrainment can pass Plus or Minus to teammates for that 50% SP.ATK bonus, giving less electric attacks flying around.

Zebstrika with Ion Deluge is a great counter to Heliolisk. Ion Deluge has a +1 priority and will change Hyper Voice to Electric and powers up Zebstrika's Motor Drive and any teammates Motor Drive/Volt Absorb/etc.

Emolgas, I found the bulky builds to be more effective setting up. Out of my opponents, Ice Punch Electivire would OHKO any Emolga with no HP/DEF investment and any bulkier Emolga would survive and get Tailwind setup.

I also found that very little teams on Showdown were setting anything up.

I have not had my Electivire burned too often, I also carry a Luxray, Intimidate, so maybe they are thinking I would switch in with Guts.

Sing Minun is fun, but really a Plan C save your ass kind of fun.
Tbolt hit your evire cause it was mold breaker amph

The effect of Soak lasts until you switch the Pokemon out from the field. A Pokemon only has to be hit with Soak once to give it the pure water typing while it is on the field.
I had my Electivire left. Fainted Heliolisk and Lanturn Soaked me. Next turn Lanturn's Thunderbolt KO'd me.

Only 3 Pokémon on the field was my Electivire and opponents Heliolisk/Lanturn.

I had my Electivire left. Fainted Heliolisk and Lanturn Soaked me. Next turn Lanturn's Thunderbolt KO'd me.

Only 3 Pokémon on the field was my Electivire and opponents Heliolisk/Lanturn.
Are you sure you put in the ability right? And that no kind of gastro acid stuff happened earlier in the battle?

A replay would help

Sorry to interrupt, but what's with the Mow Rotom now? I don't know which IVs it needs to get HP Ice. Or should I substitute it for another move?
Agility on Ampharos feels like the most logical solution to me. So I'd go with Pyritie's Ampharos. I also want to use a Pikachu because of the
theme of the tournament. Are there any suggestions for a good Pikachu beside vzxt's?

Sorry to interrupt, but what's with the Mow Rotom now? I don't know which IVs it needs to get HP Ice. Or should I substitute it for another move?
Agility on Ampharos feels like the most logical solution to me. So I'd go with Pyritie's Ampharos. I also want to use a Pikachu because of the
theme of the tournament. Are there any suggestions for a good Pikachu beside vzxt's?
Fake Out Encore is pretty useful. It's outclassed by Raichu and harder to pull of with pikachu but it could work against some teams i guess.

Are you sure you put in the ability right? And that no kind of gastro acid stuff happened earlier in the battle?

A replay would help
I don't have a replay.

I remember Acid being used, but not Gastro Acid.

I could be mistaken though. I do remember damage being done and SP.DEF being lowered, so I am thinking it is Acid.

I don't have a replay.

I could be mistaken though. I do remember damage being done and SP.DEF being lowered, so I am thinking it is Acid.
It's certainly interesting. How did Lanturn outspeed your Electivire, anyway? It couldn't have had scarf; so, Tailwind...?

I don't have a replay.

If there was no Gastro Acid or something of the like(which i'm thinking there was) then it was a teambuilding mistake using the wrong ability on evire. Cause the mechanics on showdown with soak and immunity abilities work exactly how they're supposed to.

You must not be remembering enough of the battle, can happen a lot considering how quick showdown goes.

It didn't outspeed my Electivire. I was locked into Rock Slide. I figure it had like 1-3% HP left and I thought everything was fine, but then I got hit by Thunderbolt.

I checked my team and I did have Motor Drive.

Unless I was mistaken about the Acid used. Gastro Acid, Acid, and Acid Spray all on Eelektross, but I am pretty sure I took damage and had my SP.DEF lowered, so I assume Acid Spray.

Although I assume it is quite possible the Eelektross had both Acid Spray and Gastro Acid.

I saw something similar in a replay, except it was using Helping Hand or whatever support move was necessary for its partner.
Some people run Icy Rock Hail Lanturn.
Huh, I would have thought getting Ampharos to give Manectric the bonus would have been more viable. (Manectric would also get the 50% SpA bonus, at the cost of the speed of Mega Manectric.)
Round is nice in that the second user gets to go immediately after the first user, but that's only useful for Magnezone as Mega Ampharos does better using Dragon Pulse.
Facade is a popular coverage move to ignore burns. 140BP is almost as much as two Earthquakes.

This are the IVS the rotom needs for HP Ice

IVs: 31/even#/30/31/31/31

Also when trying to talk to someone use the reply button on the bottom left od the post, that will give the person you are talking to a notification.

Last edited:
I bred a Rotom with HP Ground, 31/30/31/30/30/31.

I was thinking though, the damage calculator I think Rotom-Frost can OHKO Mega Ampharos with a HP Ice as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)