Pikachu Cup [Online Competition]

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
HP Ground is virtually useless:/ STAB moves do more damage.
On most things with a secondary STAB this is true, however for Rotom-H and Rotom-C where their STAB lowers their SpA, or Rotom-W and Rotom-F where their STAB is innaccurate, it's a good idea to have a solid backup move. Hidden Power Ground is an obvious choice for coverage against everything that touches the ground...

On any Rotom form the only OHKO I had is when Blizzard hit Emolga or Mega Ampharos, if it hit. Seemed like it hit me more often than I hit my opponent, but that is my usual luck with lower accuracy moves.

Hell I was missing a lot with Fire Fang on my Luxray. haha

With my Rotom-Frost I was running HP Ground/Blizzard/Will-O-Wisp/Dark Pulse. I am thinking of changing Dark Pulse to Hex, but Rotom-Frost is only getting 2-3 turns before fainting and I figured Will-O-Wisp everything I can or atleast Electivire.

Against say a specially defensive Mega Ampharos, Rotom-Frost Blizzard hits for 42.8 - 52% damage, HP Ground hits, 21.4 - 25.5%, and HP Ice hits 31.6 - 37.7%.

Against common Electivire, Rotom-Frost Blizzard 50.6 - 60.6%, HP Ice 38.6 - 46%, HP Ground 52 - 61.3%.

And I know in other discussions people have said that Pikachu handcuffs a team, but I think Pikachu screws up a lot of tactics.
Emolga Tailwind, the Fake Out stops the initial setup and gives you a chance to double target and get rid of Tailwind.

Jolteon Synchronoise/Pachirisu Super Fang combo, Fake Out Jolteon and double target.

Another little annoying thing I like to is when I see a Heliolisk I will bring my Ion Deluge Zebstrika. Priority +1 Ion Deluge turns Hyper Voice into a power up for Motor Drive Pokémon.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
And I know in other discussions people have said that Pikachu handcuffs a team, but I think Pikachu screws up a lot of tactics.
Emolga Tailwind, the Fake Out stops the initial setup and gives you a chance to double target and get rid of Tailwind.

Jolteon Synchronoise/Pachirisu Super Fang combo, Fake Out Jolteon and double target.
Except Raichu completely outclasses Pikachu in all these rolls, it's bulkier and faster, meaning it can Encore more things that Protect on the Fake Out. Pikachu's ONLY positive trait is that it hits harder with a Light Ball, but that set is SO frail that it will just die to whatever it doesn't kill. Raichu can also hold handy items like Air Balloon and Shuca Berry. Seriously, use Pikachu only if you really think Endeavor is a cool event move...

Except Raichu completely outclasses Pikachu in all these rolls, it's bulkier and faster, meaning it can Encore more things that Protect on the Fake Out. Pikachu's ONLY positive trait is that it hits harder with a Light Ball, but that set is SO frail that it will just die to whatever it doesn't kill. Raichu can also hold handy items like Air Balloon and Shuca Berry. Seriously, use Pikachu only if you really think Endeavor is a cool event move...
I meant in general since the theme of the event is to actually use Pikachu. The teams that annoyed me the most on Showdown had Pikachu. The Raichu teams I just double protected and then KO'd since Raichu can only Encore 1 of those double protectors, which usually one of those double protectors was Luxray with Baby-doll Eyes and that has a +1 priority.

I meant in general since the theme of the event is to actually use Pikachu. The teams that annoyed me the most on Showdown had Pikachu. The Raichu teams I just double protected and then KO'd since Raichu can only Encore 1 of those double protectors, which usually one of those double protectors was Luxray with Baby-doll Eyes and that has a +1 priority.
I mean, what you just said for Raichu, you can say the same for Pikachu.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
What do people have on their heliolisks?

I've got Hyper Voice, Hyper Beam, and Protect, but I'm switching between either HP Ground or Dark Pulse (for hitting rotom-normal's).

Anyone have any good ideas for a fourth move? I'm using LO.

I've got Hyper Voice, Hyper Beam, and Protect, but I'm switching between either HP Ground or Dark Pulse (for hitting rotom-normal's).

Magnet rise is pretty useful, ive been using it and it definitely helps against evire

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay

Magnet rise is pretty useful, ive been using it and it definitely helps against evire
Yeah Magnet Rise is so good against non-Scarf Electivires (and anything else that tries Hidden Power Ground-ing you). It also let's you run Helio next to your own Electivire without having to spam Protect. I tried Electrify on my first team but only used it like once, it didn't live up to the hype.

For offensive options, Dark Pulse is a great move incase you end up in a 1v1 / 1v2 with a Rotom-normal on the field so you don't auto-lose). You can also fish for a clutch flinch if you've got nothing better to do, lol.

As for myself, I'm running a full support Electrode with Explosion as it's sole form of damage / get off the field sorta thing, which works excellent for the latter, however I often feel like it's a wasted moveslot. I'm wondering if it's worth running something else like Hidden Power Ground (will hit like a wet paper bag without investment tho), Mirror Coat (for surprising a special attacker, except double-targeting + lots of EQ in the format), Flash (for hax), Foul Play (would be better if I could fit Swagger on the set tho), and Magic Coat for potential Electrode mirror matches so I don't have to rely on winning the speed tie to Taunt it... Thoughts, anyone?

From what I have seen though, not many people use the same double protect against Pikachu. I don't know what the difference is, I figure Pikachu hits harder with Fake Out, but I guess it is because Raichu is more of a threat with Speed that people have worried more about the turn after.

It makes more sense in my head anyway.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I'm sorry if this isn't the right place to post this, but because other people have posted their teams here, I think that it is.

I've think that I've been doing very good for someone who thinks that they have little idea what they're doing. (In the top 50 on ladder :P) I've been using a team that revolving around spamming spread attacks and Helping Hand.
Better Pikachu (Raichu) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Lightning Rod
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Helping Hand
- Protect

I started using this this after being destroyed by a RiaVire Lead that spammed Helping Hand and Earthquake. There's not much to say about how I use it. I pop Balloons with Fake Out and Knock Off if he's paired with Mr. OP, then I spam Helping Hand.

Mr. OP (Electivire) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Motor Drive
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Fire Punch
- Facade

Describing how Mr. OP works is easy. Scarfed Vires kill stuff. Helping Hand buffed Scarf Vires kill even more stuff. See? Easy.
Ironically, even with Mr. OP's nickname, I side him out against opponents that have two Pokemon that are immune to Earthquake or named Manectric.
The move choices are the the standard "Click to Win" move, "Hit Fliers" move, "Hit MowTom for SE" move, and the nonstandard "You burned me? I didn't even notice." move known as Facade. When Mr. OP is burned, Facade hits a single target for 10 less BP than Earthquake would hit that Pokemon if Mr. OP wasn't burned.
As for the EVs, Attack is maxed for obvious reasons and there is just enough speed to outrun Mega Manectric Electrode. Mr. OP survives Earthquake from other ScarfVires while KOing in return with a Helping Hand boosted Quake, so I don't care that I'm giving up a Speed Tie for 9 extra HP. If I felt like I needed to outrun Electrode, I'd up the Speed EVs to 212 to outspeed it. I fear Electrode now and 5 Hp isn't worth the speed tie loss.

Screaming Lizard (Heliolisk) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Solar Power
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Hyper Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Dragon Pulse

Screaming Lizard screams. 'Nuf said.
I'd like to thank reade216 for suggesting Specs Jolteon. I didn't try it because I thought that Specs Screaming Lizard would be better.

I Need A Nickname (Jolteon) @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 28 HP / 252 SpA / 228 Spe
Modest Nature
- Synchronoise
- Helping Hand
- Shadow Ball
- Detect

In case you couldn't tell, I spam moves with this team. I Need A Nickname has two spammable moves. Syncronoise, which damages his ally and Helping Hand, which results in less damage to opponents if used instead of Syncronoise. I'd consider Hidden Power Ground over Shadow Ball if I could get it in game without expecting Multiple Shiny Eevees first and if Eelektross hadn't caused enough situations where I'm glad I was using Shadow Ball. (Note to self: Get Ditto with 30 IVs in every stat.)
With a Modest Nature, I Need A Nickname can outspeed everything it could with a Jolly Nature except Zebstrika, so I just went with Modest and enough EVs to outspeed Raichu.

P.S. I Need a Nickname needs a nickname.

Due to my weakness to ScarfVire, I slapped two counters to it.

Face Leach (Eelektross) @ Maranga Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Drain Punch
- Facade
- Coil
- Protect

Let me start by saying that I haven't used Face Leach much, but so far, I like it. (or I would if it would stop biting my face.) The reason I'm using a Coil Eelektross is because those things are scary to face and I needed a Levitate Pokemon. I probably should use Knock Off over Facade, but I think that burns are more common than Normal Rotom. (For those of you used to OU, no, I do not mean the Washing Machine Form. :P) The berry held boosts Special Defense right after Face Leach gets hit by a Special Attack and I chose it over Leftovers or a Sitrus Berry is because it boosts the Defense stat Coil Doesn't boost and Drain Punch already recovers health. In other words, I thought it was a better defensive item. The way I thought of using the berry is the only way anyone could, by seeing someone else use it. Seriously, who even remembers that this berry exists?

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

MANEctric pulled its weight, but it wasn't good enough against Electivire, so I put the Least Trustworthy Washing Machine Ever on my team. The reason I chose the washing machine over the least trustworthy lawn mower and Easy Burn Oven (Feel free to use that as a nickname.) is that I dislike the Special Attack Drop from their STABs. I mostly use the Washing Machine of "No one's cruel enough to put other people's clothes in this thing" when my opponent has both Electivire and Eelektross because Will-O-Wisp is more likely to cripple something.
Edit: I still edit this post with team updates even though I think no one will see them. :P

Last edited:
For Jolteon have you tried Choice Specs?

267 SP.ATK NOOICE.

Spamming Synchronoise can damage your partner, but the right partner can absorb some damage and set Jolteon up to sweep out.

I was ranked 24 using Jolteon as my main attacker.

I have since fallen, but I have been trying different tactics to see if I can find alternates to when my main fails.

CTNC

I notice each of Heliolisk's abilities prefers a different weather. Since you're not actually setting weather yourself, why did you choose this one?
Because I have one in game with it, (It's stupidly powerful in the Manson in Triples alongside Typhlosion and Mega Zard Y. >:D) and Dry Skin causes a weakness to fire which is way more common in the Pika Cup than the type it grants immunity to.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I notice each of Heliolisk's abilities prefers a different weather. Since you're not actually setting weather yourself, why did you choose this one?
I did that on my own team in case my opponent sets sun, and so heliolisk isn't weaker to random fire attacks. Most people don't target heliolisk with a water attack anyway.

Last edited:
I know this is like asking for nuclear secrets, but has anyone found a dominant team?

I was going for awhile with Eelektross, Electivire, Luxray, Pikachu, Ampharos, Emolga.

Then after running into people for a 2nd time the team was shit.

Switched to Jolteon, Pachirisu, Luxray, Electivire, Eelektross, Ampharos.

2nd time around it was outdated.

Changed up to Lanturn, Heliolisk, Electivire, Luxray, Eelektross, Ampharos.

It seems like the major annoyances are Swagger/Foul Play Electrode, Snarl Manectric, Encore Raichu, and now Ion Deluge Emolga.

I did run an Ion Deluge Zebstrika and it was awesome for about 5 battles.

Scarf Surf Lanturn partnered with Dry Skin Heliolisk worked well, but Scarf Lanturn did nothing to heal Heliolisk until turn 2, again Ion Deluge Emolga messes it up. Protect on Heliolisk stops Fake Out Pikachu/Raichu and scouts Ion Deluge. Fake Out always seems to come Heliolisk.

I had a good run with that combo, but nothing that gives me confident going into the actual event. I guess in the real challenge the chances of someone knowing your play style is slim.

Hell I cannot decide on Modest or Timid Jolteon. I think with Choice Specs the Modest nature wins out. Modest Jolteon is only outsped by Mega Manectric, Electrode, Zebstrika, and mainly Choice Scarf Pokémon.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
I know this is like asking for nuclear secrets, but has anyone found a dominant team?

I was going for awhile with Eelektross, Electivire, Luxray, Pikachu, Ampharos, Emolga.

It seems like the major annoyances are Swagger/Foul Play Electrode, Snarl Manectric, Encore Raichu, and now Ion Deluge Emolga.

Scarf Surf Lanturn partnered with Dry Skin Heliolisk worked well, but Scarf Lanturn did nothing to heal Heliolisk until turn 2, again Ion Deluge Emolga messes it up. Protect on Heliolisk stops Fake Out Pikachu/Raichu and scouts Ion Deluge. Fake Out always seems to come Heliolisk.

I had a good run with that combo, but nothing that gives me confident going into the actual event. I guess in the real challenge the chances of someone knowing your play style is slim.

Hell I cannot decide on Modest or Timid Jolteon. I think with Choice Specs the Modest nature wins out. Modest Jolteon is only outsped by Mega Manectric, Electrode, Zebstrika, and mainly Choice Scarf Pokémon.
All the best teams in these competitions have at least some basic surprise value, that's why the Japanese somewhat struggle with the best-of-three format that VGC uses as they play a more best-of-one style surprise factor style. My team for this basically relies on the opponent not expecting what's coming, which sucks because the PS! playerbase for this comp isn't the biggest, so I've run into many familiar faces and subsequently lost due to them knowing exactly what I'm going to do, lol. I wouldn't worry too much about people beating you the second time around on PS! as you won't encounter the same person during the actual competition..

One thing I've noticed is that Knock Off is a really common, spammable move, and it is especially annoying for my team. We all know that running dual megas is a totally viable strategy in the Battle Spot formats not named triples as you can bench the one you don't need, but I'm honestly seeing some value in bringing an extra just to absorb Knock Offs for the things that need their items

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist

My team is Ampharos, Eelektross, Electivire, Emolga, Rotom-C, and Heliolisk. A lot of who I pick boils down to team preview.

If they don't have many levitators (like only 1 or 2), I'll lead with emolga + (scarf) electivire. Press Earthquake to win.

If they have an electivire + emolga of their own and 3 levitators, I'll lead with rotom-c and either electivire or ampharos.

Whenever I bring electivire (which is most of the time) I always try to bring 2 things immune to ground, so electivire can freely earthquake more easily. When the opponent has a bunch of levitators I don't bring emolga and bring eelektross and rotom-c instead except if they have normal rotom, since my emolga has Knock Off.

A lot of what I pick depends on team preview, but if I really don't know what to choose, I'll go with electivire, ampharos, eelektross, and rotom-c. They're all pretty dependable. I don't bring heliolisk very often unless they're hard countering my usual stuff.

What part of your teams worked well? What mons always pulled their weight? Which felt too matchup dependent, and which did you almost never bring? Which parts have good synergy, as in, if you put them on the field together, do they work together well?

Finally done breeding and training up my team, it has been a fun process. Ironically it ended up not having an Electivire and I am sure I will miss it in some matches, but I decided on building a team around Heliolisk as main attacker instead. Final team is: Heliolisk, Mega-Manectric, Emolga, Rotom-Ghost, Eelektross, Eelektrik. Will be fun!

That is the thing though. I went 10-3 testing Scarf Lanturn with a Life Orb, Dry Skin Heliolisk. I had 4 sweeps and 2 1st turn forfeits.

I am 20-7 with Specs Jolteon Scarf Pachirisu.

30-15 with Emolga, Electivire, Eelektross, Luxray.

The one thing that I have to watch for is Dry Skin Heliolisk on the other team, although I was thinking of just showing a Rotom-H on my team to scare that off.

Oh I was 10-5 with Icy Wind Lanturn and Sticky Web Galvantula.

My problem always seems to be, when I want to use a setup team I get crushed by full attack teams and when I go full attack I get beat by setup teams.

I cannot figure out why my setup gets beat by heavy attack, when my heavy attack does not beat setup and vice-versa.

I cannot seem to make that jump from above average to upper tier.

Which I guess I can contribute that to overthinking and second guessing myself.

Who would have thought low self-esteem would carry over to a video game. haha

Last edited:
Why not Scarf Lanturn with Specs?
Scarf is Lanturn's Item and Life Orb is Heliolisk.

Surf from Lanturn heals off the Life Orb damage to Dry Skin Heliolisk.

I like Life Orb over Specs because it gives me a chance to Protect and scout with Heliolisk, who is usually the Fake Out target or the main threat in the pairing.

Does anyone know how to breed Rotom or Elekid without leveling all the way up to level 30 each time without ditto? I have been waiting for the right mirage spots to appear for a while, but they won't appear and I don't have ditto in friend safari, so all I've got are 0iv ditto in pokemon village. This is the first competition I've started breeding for and I've had success with dexnav followed by breeding, except I just don't have ditto.

CTNC

Does anyone know how to breed Rotom or Elekid without leveling all the way up to level 30 each time without ditto? I have been waiting for the right mirage spots to appear for a while, but they won't appear and I don't have ditto in friend safari, so all I've got are 0iv ditto in pokemon village. This is the first competition I've started breeding for and I've had success with dexnav followed by breeding, except I just don't have ditto.
For breeding Flawless Genderless Pokemon, like Rotom, I highly recommend a 6 IV Ditto. The user Most gives them away if you're okay with a cloned Ditto.

For Elekid, getting it to Level 30 isn't that bad with Blissey Bash Bases. You just need to turn on the Level Release, have Elekid hold a Lucky Egg, and send it into battle for enough experience to get it past Level 30. I hope you like mashing the A button. If you haven't tried them before There's a list of bases near the bottom of this page. (I highly recommend the Secret Meadow and Shore bases under the multiple locations tab and the base in the Route 125 tab.) Keep in mind that you can have up to 15 favorited bases and when you scan the QR Code you have to wait 24 hours until you can battle them.

For breeding Flawless Genderless Pokemon, like Rotom, I highly recommend a 6 IV Ditto. The user Most gives them away if you're okay with a cloned Ditto.

For Elekid, getting it to Level 30 isn't that bad with Blissey Bash Bases. You just need to turn on the Level Release, have Elekid hold a Lucky Egg, and send it into battle for enough experience to get it past Level 30. I hope you like mashing the A button. If you haven't tried them before There's a list of bases near the bottom of this page. (I highly recommend the Secret Meadow and Shore bases under the multiple locations tab and the base in the Route 125 tab.) Keep in mind that you can have up to 15 favorited bases and when you scan the QR Code you have to wait 24 hours until you can battle them.
I didn't know people had blissey bases so thank you for showing me. However, I'm a little scared to use a cloned ditto because the PGL just issued a warning about modified pokemon which could get you banned from rating battles and competitions and considering how long it takes them to post the results, I think that they actually investigate top ranked participants (not that I will ever fall into that catagory, but I'd rather be safe). There is still a while until the competition so the ditto mirage spots have got to show up eventually.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)