1. Welcome to the Orange Islands! Please remember to read the rules. Come chat with us on our IRC channel and enjoy your stay!
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon Black 2 and White 2 - Mark 2 ** Spoilers **

Discussion in 'Orange Islands' started by RBG, Jun 20, 2012.

1. RBG

RBG But I keep cruising, can't stop, won't stop grooving.
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Super Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Facebook Manager

You can use the same account.
  2. DRADE

DRADE

So I need a little help here guys, I want to make a team for Black 2 (this is gonna be my first playthrough of the game) and want a team that will be fun, yet challenging. I do not want to steam roll through the game like i did in White 1 using a lot of upper tier pokemon.

My questions for you guys are:

-What are some good types to use on a team in this game? Bad Types?

-My starter is going to be Tepig, I've decided that I'm going to also use Mandibuzz, Drilbur, either Frillish or Starmie, and either Yanmask or Gothita

- Should I use Frillish or Starmie?
    - Yanmask or Gothita

Again I'm not looking for an overpowered team here just something I can have fun playing with

The team in progress so far

-Tepig
    -Mandibuzz
    -Gothita/Yanmask
    -Frillish/Starmie
    -Petilil
    -Drilbur
  3. TM13IceBeam

TM13IceBeam

This is a decent team imo although I think Tepig/Petilil/Drilbur is going to beat most of the guys anyway
  4. cant say

cant say

You probably dont want 2 ghosts, it's gotta be one or the other. Seeings how Tepig will become a fighting type, if you use the gift Zorua, I find it really fun absorbing Psychic attacks with Illusion. But that might just be me
  5. Wrave

Wrave

I am currently using Maractus and its alright. You can grind it all day and night against that breeder on Route 4 due to both of her pokemon being weak against grass. It is great mixed as using just for special is not the way to go given its baron movepool.
  6. Antihaxxer

Antihaxxer

T Bolt / Flash Cannon / Signal Beam / T Wave is the final movepool of all Magnemite :)
  7. TM13IceBeam

TM13IceBeam

I run Charge Beam over Signal Beam. Signal beam helps, but Charge Beam imo is better for important trainers.
  8. DRADE

DRADE

Here's the team in progress

-Tepig
    -Mandibuzz
    -Gothita/Yanmask
    -Frillish/Starmie
    -Petilil
    -Drilbur

should I use Gothita and Frillish or Yanmask and Starmie
  9. Celever

Celever

Don't repeat yourself.

I would personally use frillish and gothita.
  10. Antihaxxer

Antihaxxer

Well, with his middle speed, I've had some problems in late game to "sweep important trainers" ... Guess it could also work :)
  11. HackerKing

HackerKing

Personally, I'd use Gothita and Frillish, but that's because your team looks like it needs something to take hits in case you run into something on a rampage. Frillish > Yamask becasue Frillish can actually hit back. That was my thought process.
  12. Lucchini

Lucchini

Yamask will actually hit back harder once it evolves (which it does sooner). Shadow Ball/Energy Ball/Psychic is decent enough coverage, and Will-O-Wisp can't be bad if you need support with the game's physical threats.
  13. HackerKing

HackerKing

You can trade an Emolga for a Gigaliath.
    Though this shouldn't affect its rating either way, It's a wonder why you wouldn't just trade it in.
  14. HackerKing

HackerKing

Still, Yamask evolves at level 34 which requires some babying. Frillish requires more exp, but it's doing something until it evolves, so you don't need to baby it as much.
  15. inanimate blob

inanimate blob

That's true, but Frillish actually come at a fairly low level later in the game than Yamask. While neither are the best in-game, that's something to consider. Additionally, you could catch a Jellicent with a terrible nature in Undella Town at a decent level.
  16. Himanattsu

Himanattsu

Training up Cofagrigus (and Frillish too, I guess) is pretty easy-- make it hold a Lucky Egg and battle against lots of Sawks or Throhs. Neither of the two have any moves that can hit the two Ghosts, so it's easy picking for them to kill for good experience. Although I do agree that they are E tier mons, it's fun to have a challenge.

Also, in my experience, I never needed coverage moves outside of Shadow Ball. Disable is invaluable for mons that only have one move to hit you (read: Marshal), and Toxic and WoW are self-explanatory.
  17. DRADE

DRADE

Thanks for all the feedback on the Frillish/Yanmask decision, I'll definitley give Yanmask a try next playthrough

As of right now though my team is

-Samurott
    -Conkeldurr
    -Sigilyph
    -Cincinno (however its spelled)
    -Magnezone
    -Volcarona

I gotta say I'm enjoying it quite alot, especially since its the first time that im playing thru B2W2
  18. DRADE

DRADE

Ignore this, read my later post.
  19. cant say

cant say

Personally I would go with Magby over Yanmask (only because Growlithe is exclusive to White 2) as your fire type. I don't remember if the Magmarizer is available before the E4 though. Also I would go with Accelgor (Karrablast) over Escavelier. Remember you'll need to trade it with a Shelmet to evolve
  20. DRADE

DRADE

Yeah I have access to the trade, and can you tell me why you would go Magby > Yanmask and Why Accelgor > Escavelier?

By the way Karrablast evolves into Escavelier and Growlithe is not exclusive to White 2
  21. Himanattsu

Himanattsu

Trust me, Excavalier is soooo useful in many fights. You get good moves like Iron Head, X-Scissor, and False Swipe really early, it's weakness is almost never exploited in-game, and it can beat half if the E4 by typing alone.
  22. Alice in Strings

Alice in Strings

Probably because Yamask only learns Will-o-Wisp as a fire move. Though Fire is kinda trivial unless you plunk a Darm or something in your team. Magby itself is kinda meh until it evolves, iirc.
  23. DRADE

DRADE

I wasnt looking to use Confagrius as a fire poke (obv) but more of a bulky tank
  24. DRADE

DRADE

After much thought I decided on a final team to start my run through Black 2

Magnemite - > Magnezone
    Timburr - > Conkeldurr
    Yamask - > Cofagrigus
    Panpour - > Simipour
    Karrablast - > Escavalier
    Axew - > Haxorus

I feel like it appears to be an elite team when fully evolved yet not overpowered in game, and it has a lot of my favorites

Any thoughts on not using a starter pokemon in a playthrough? This is the first time I'm doing it and I'm wondering if anyone else does it too
  25. Codraroll

Codraroll
    is a Community Contributor

How come nobody manage to spell the names correctly? Escavalier, Yamask, Cofagrigus... it's not that hard, people...

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)