Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although it's been confirmed that some previous pokemon will be retyped, I don't think Mismagius will, she would have 4 immunities (Ground, Normal, Fighting, Dragon).

Also, where did the rumor about the Starter typings come from? I keep hearing Fire/Psychic, Grass/Dark, Water/Fighting.
It came from the first trailer where Fennekin can be seen using what seems to be a Psychic move, Chespin can be seen using what seems to be a Dark move, and Froakie using what seems to be a Fighting move.

It came from the first trailer where Fennekin can be seen using what seems to be a Psychic move, Chespin can be seen using what seems to be a Dark move, and Froakie using what seems to be a Fighting move.
Talking about Chespin's move, Talonflame used the same move in the sky battle of the last trailer so I think it's actually Aerial ace. The animation does look like the one in B2W2.

Oh okay. I only asked because there was some speculation that the move Chespin used wasn't Night Slash but Aerial Ace instead. But Grass/Flying would mess up the balance that the typings have

Oh okay. I only asked because there was some speculation that the move Chespin used wasn't Night Slash but Aerial Ace instead. But Grass/Flying would mess up the balance that the typings have
Here is picture of both moves. I think they could be different move. Or they look different because Chespin is using claws and Talonflame is using beak..

Here is picture of both moves. I think they could be different move. Or they look different because Chespin is using claws and Talonflame is using beak..

Or they look different because there's been ~6 months of development between footage

If Chespin is Grass/Dark, he's probably gotten the short end of the stick. Most of the "evil team" pokemon have been Poison or Dark historically, Fennikin and Froakie both get coverage against one of those types. Froakie has the best type combination in my opinion, hopefully he gets good stats so it's not Poliwrath all over again.

What would be truly funny:
IF bonding increases Evasion, Accuracy, Critical Hit Ratio, and resistance to criticals, but it increases accuracy and critical hit ratio more, such that two max bonded pokemon will actually have a battle with LESS luck.
I think the best we could hope for is cancelling though...

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
One thing that has been irking me a little... nowhere in any promotional material have Abilities even been referred to. Not a sentence.

I don't know if we should read too much into this. Perhaps they aren't going to add any new Abilities, figuring that we do fine with the ones we have already. Then there wouldn't be necessary to make any fuzz about it. If you're going to NOT introduce something, best be quiet about it for as long as you can.

A second, though less likely, option is that they might be rewamping the entire system. After all, most Pokémon already carry three different abilities, though some are still stuck with one. Might be that they want to even things out for everybody. Then again, you'd think they would have mentioned it by now.

Adding more abilities to the game, like they did in generations IV and V, would necessarily give the developers two options:

1) Keeping the limit of three optional abilties per Pokémon. In other words, no Pokémon currently having three abilities will get any of the new ones.

2) Increasing the amount of possible abilities per Pokémon to four or more. Then again, that would make mono-ability-Pokémon (such as those with Levitate) even more "left behind" than they already are.

A third option would maybe involve reducing the number of options, i.e. removing or swapping some possible abilities on some Pokémon. I don't think this is very likely, though. Either way, abilities seem to be "piling up" for every generation now. I wonder if they will do something about it, or keep adding abilities to Pokémon for the foreseeable future. It will be exciting to find out.

One thing that has been irking me a little... nowhere in any promotional material have Abilities even been referred to. Not a sentence.

I don't know if we should read too much into this. Perhaps they aren't going to add any new Abilities, figuring that we do fine with the ones we have already. Then there wouldn't be necessary to make any fuzz about it. If you're going to NOT introduce something, best be quiet about it for as long as you can.

A second, though less likely, option is that they might be rewamping the entire system. After all, most Pokémon already carry three different abilities, though some are still stuck with one. Might be that they want to even things out for everybody. Then again, you'd think they would have mentioned it by now.

Adding more abilities to the game, like they did in generations IV and V, would necessarily give the developers two options:

1) Keeping the limit of three optional abilties per Pokémon. In other words, no Pokémon currently having three abilities will get any of the new ones.

2) Increasing the amount of possible abilities per Pokémon to four or more. Then again, that would make mono-ability-Pokémon (such as those with Levitate) even more "left behind" than they already are.

A third option would maybe involve reducing the number of options, i.e. removing or swapping some possible abilities on some Pokémon. I don't think this is very likely, though. Either way, abilities seem to be "piling up" for every generation now. I wonder if they will do something about it, or keep adding abilities to Pokémon for the foreseeable future. It will be exciting to find out.
Well, if I can remember correctly, only one ability was actually talked about before the release of Black and White - Zorua and Zoroark's Illusion. Despite that, though, we got a bunch of new stuff and even third ability Pokemon. And some Pokemon with lots of abilities are still "left behind" - Delibird has two no-sleep abilities and Hustle, for instance, so more abilities didn't really help. And most Pokemon only use one of their abilities with a few noticeable exceptions, like Conkeldurr and Yanmega. So it really doesn't matter how many abilities a Pokemon gets, it's how useful said abilities are.

Basculin is another great example - I bet its also an indicator that we'll get more abilities this time, with more than it getting four legal ones. But those abilities are really just flavor unless they actually help. So you might just be reading into it too much, don't be too worried.

Agreed, and also keep in mind that (if the rumor holds true), then the already-great-partners-to-Dragon-types Steel pokemon have a super-effective STAB on Fairy-types. I don't know how much it will shake up the metagame.

Then again, this will be a new meta, so I'd kind of like to see a large amount of changes (which is why part of me would kind of like to not be able to transfer from Gen V).
consider, though, that Fairy's might ALSO have steel partners. Heatran for example is 4x resistant to steel and immune to poison.

Well, ExtremeSpeed means you have nothing to hurt Steel-types, so I'd say Earthquake would likely be the better choice. Although, Dragons are really going to find it much harder to get full coverage.
...particularly if we get a Ghost/Fairy...

Did you have to post one with Gardevoir in it?
This was literally the only one I could find

Scrafty will probably fall in usage too, because as a dark/fighting type it will have 4x weakness to fairy. That is a true testimate ro how funny this all is lol

Well, if I can remember correctly, only one ability was actually talked about before the release of Black and White - Zorua and Zoroark's Illusion.
You are remembering wrong. Smash showcased Overcoat, new mechanics of Sturdy were discussed, new abilities such as Moxie were mentioned and Pokémon with pre-existing abilities were mentioned to have pre-existing abilities.

All Pokémon that got a section in Corocoro had their Abilities mentioned.

Considering the details on Fairy that's released now (whether unconfirmed or not), anybody getting the feeling that the game will be 4Drag2Mag-esque again? You don't even have to run a fairy on your team. Just run shit like Heatran, Scizor, or Metagross to beat down on opposing Fairies and everything else on the offensive front. Forretress and Ferrothorn setup hazards and stall. Then clean other Steels with Magnezone (or a trapper of your choice). Then your 50 Dragons sweep. End of game.

And by the ways, they better not forget to make Clefable a Fairy.

I, too, believe that the introduction of the Fairy type could actually make dragons even stronger. Magnezone being able to fry Steels/Fairies (pink blobs included) bodes well for dragon spam.

i'm not thinking so much the faeries themselves as the new attacking type. hidden power faerie sounds like it'd be at least decent, and there's probably gonna be at least one fairly well distributed attack with a good base power - especially helping to fry pokemon like kingdra that otherwise have only one weakness.

This was literally the only one I could find
Well, yeah, but let's just say that Gardevoir's expression was a little too... expressive. Plus she had boobs. Gardevoir should not have boobs.

But, I digress. Really, another immunity available (and to such an important attacking type) means that breaking through Stall will be harder. I mean, sure, you could bring in your Scizor to smack them with Bullet Punch, but it'll have to eat the switch-in attack from the Fairy. Not to mention that a) there's nothing forcing the Fairy to stay in and b) Steel resists aren't uncommon.

i'm not thinking so much the faeries themselves as the new attacking type. hidden power faerie sounds like it'd be at least decent, and there's probably gonna be at least one fairly well distributed attack with a good base power - especially helping to fry pokemon like kingdra that otherwise have only one weakness.
That's a point, but Kingdra is pretty much the only thing you're running HP Fairy for. And that's not worth it when you need Ice for the other Dragons and Fire for the the Steels, then the other types for better coverage options.

Seems like a lot of people aren't considering fairy as a secondary type. Magnezone won't do you much good against a Fire/Fairy type. A bulky Water/Fairy type could beat Heatran. We haven't seen all the Fairy type pokemon yet obviously.

azumarill has fairly good bulk, too. what is it, 90/100/100 or something? not too shabby at all. could definitely stomach a hit or two.

canno

formerly The Reptile
azumarill has fairly good bulk, too. what is it, 90/100/100 or something? not too shabby at all. could definitely stomach a hit or two.
Azu has 100/80/80 bulk, which is, like you said, not shabby at all. Especially when it usually invests in HP anyways. We don't know much about the 6th gen meta (and by not know much, I mean pretty much nothing at all), but I would think that Azumarill is going to be a solid OU pokemon imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)