Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Azu has 100/80/80 bulk, which is, like you said, not shabby at all. Especially when it usually invests in HP anyways.
Agreed. I think this new type will change things dramatically.

Personally I'd like to see a Steel/Fairy with levitate (like Bronzong only better). If Fairy truly is strong against Fighting, then it's only weakness would be Fire, with immunities to Dragon, Poison, and Ground.

Also would love to see Clauncher be Water/Electric. Crabhammer, Wild Charge, and Swords Dance/Shell Smash would be sick

Just a little something to remember people: Magnezone's ability is Magnet Pull. Not 'Fairy Pull' -- Magnet Pull. I hate to sound condescending there, but it kind of makes a massive, massive difference that Magnezone cannot trap Fairies in the same way it has trapped steels this gen and last. I mean, say you have a Latios out, and your opponent switches in to Ferrothorn; well, Ferro takes the Draco Meteor (or whatever) pretty well, but now you can just go in to Magnezone, trap and kill. From this point onward, nothing on your opponents team (hypothetically) resists DM, and you can sweep with Dragon Spam.

So bring in the Fairies. Say your opponent (same Latios) uses Draco Meteor as you switch in to, say, Sylveon. Assuming that it's immune, it takes no damage. But then you switch in to Magnezone to nail it with Flash Cannon - only Sylveon switches out...

Latios comes in - Draco Meteor
Sylveon sponges the attack
Magnezone comes in
Sylveon switches out...

And so on.

Of course, you can use hazards to help with this sort of thing, but the above scenario illustrates just how much potential Fairies have to effectively neuter Dragon spam; if you can't trap the Fairies, then they can just repeatedly switch out when they're threatened, then switch in again to wall your Dragon. I'm surprised no-one's mentioned this; it's kind of important.

Of course there is always Gothitelle - but I feel it's also important to mention that Dragmag teams will have to sacrifice a team slot that (in gen 5) would have gone to a dragon to an otherwise 'meh' pokemon.

Azumarill will fall into that Quagsire spot. Good typing, abilities, and utility, but too low of stats to do anything. 100/80/80 is nice, but it's going to be fuckwrecked by whatever defensive side you don't specialize in.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Or, if blissey is part fairy, game over for dragmag. Even magnezone isn't going to be beating blissey unless there's some new steel-type focus blast. Gengar only 2HKOes bliseey at best, so I'm pretty sure magnezone isn't going to have a chance with flash cannon.

Azumarill will fall into that Quagsire spot. Good typing, abilities, and utility, but too low of stats to do anything. 100/80/80 is nice, but it's going to be fuckwrecked by whatever defensive side you don't specialize in.
Azumarill has Huge Power though, which makes him a monster offensively. Before he ran Waterfall/Return/Ice Punch/Aqua Jet. Now make that Waterfall/Fairy Attack/Superpower/Aqua Jet.

That's great coverage considering it eliminates his Fighting type weakness, gives him a new STAB attack, and a super effective hit on Dragons without having to run Ice Punch. And he trades his only occasionally useful Ghost immunity for a much more useful Dragon immunity

Oh, and Electric/Grass/Fighting weakness is much worse than Electric/Grass/Poison

canno

formerly The Reptile
Or, if blissey is part fairy, game over for dragmag. Even magnezone isn't going to be beating blissey unless there's some new steel-type focus blast. Gengar only 2HKOes bliseey at best, so I'm pretty sure magnezone isn't going to have a chance with flash cannon.
Magnezone has a better chance than Gengar does. STAB Flash Cannon has the same power as an unSTAB'd Focus Blast (both are 120 BP). They both also have a base 130 SpA. So they would both do the same damage (Mag might do more, since it can afford to run Modest over Timid), except Magnezone doesn't have to fear missing.

Still, yes, Blissey is going to bring hell to Dragon-types if it becomes Fairy (I'm more worried about Chansey though)

Azumarril doesn't have an easily exploitable weakness, and has Huge Power to give it insane power, not to mention the amazing neutral coverage that Water / Fairy (assumingly) gets.

Azumarill has Huge Power though, which makes him a monster offensively. Before he ran Waterfall/Return/Ice Punch/Aqua Jet. Now make that Waterfall/Fairy Attack/Superpower/Aqua Jet.

That's great coverage considering it eliminates his Fighting type weakness, gives him a new STAB attack, and a super effective hit on Dragons without having to run Ice Punch. And he trades his only occasionally useful Ghost immunity for a much more useful Dragon immunity

Oh, and Electric/Grass/Fighting weakness is much worse than Electric/Grass/Poison

Azumarill is a pure water...?

Yes, but the first poster was still right - Sludge Bomb is like, 90 base power. So yeah: STAB Sludge Bomb from Gengar Beats STAB Flash Cannon from Magnezone. (On Blissey/ Chansey)

Okay I was wrong about Azumarill being Water/Normal, I don't know what I was thinking. Still it picks up an immunity which is the important part.

Also, wouldn't making Chansey/Blissey Normal/Fairy or even just Fairy, give it Poison and Steel weaknesses? Gengar might end up running Sludge Bomb instead of Focus Blast, which with 90 BP would be stronger than Focus Blast after STAB

Magnezone's purpose isn't to beat Fairies...

And on Azumarill, you pretty much need Huge Power to make any impact. And that's a shame because Thick Fat would probably be great in the metagame.

canno

formerly The Reptile
Yes, but the first poster was still right - Sludge Bomb is like, 90 base power. So yeah: STAB Sludge Bomb from Gengar Beats STAB Flash Cannon from Magnezone. (On Blissey/ Chansey)
This might be true, but Mag will most likely run Choice Specs, which will outdamage Life Orb Gengar with Sludge Bomb. If both run Specs, then yes, Gengar out damages (and just barely, considering Gengar needs to run Timid while Mag can run Modest), but Gengar doesn't usually run Specs, so Mag will be outdamaging most of the time.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
STAB Flash Cannon has the same power as an unSTAB'd Focus Blast (both are 120 BP). They both also have a base 130 SpA. So they would both do the same damage (Mag might do more, since it can afford to run Modest over Timid), except Magnezone doesn't have to fear missing.
Whoops.

Magnezone is still dragons' best friend...killer of steels, killer of faries.

If Fairy is indeed weak to Steel, then expect Magnezone and Scizor to be the two most used pokemon in OU in the new metagame. Dragon spamming is countered by Fairy, in comes Scizor, Scizor forces it out/hits with pursuit on the switch, then Magnezone comes in to trap Scizor. Heatran will probably be really popular too since Magnezone can trap it but Heatran can kill it.

Of course the new gen could have pokemon that do the same things as these 3 but with better stats/abilities. I doubt it though considering how near perfect these 3 are at what they do

I just really hope that we have some good Fairy types... See, I just had a dream: imagine if we got a Fairy-type Cresselia. Seriously, with immunities to ground and dragon, a resistance to fighting and neutrality to fire - I mean, that's all the coverage that Dragon types ever carry. It wouldn't even be that broken either, considering that Cress is still kind of set-up bait for stuff; but the fact that it would be able to wall Dragons so thoroughly would be awesome. And then if you paired it up with a Heatran or something for Magnezone/ Scizor (and extra dragon insurance)... man, that would potentially be a crazy core to break through. Still, a lot hinges on whether or not Fairies have that crucial resistance/ immunity to Dragon type moves; without it, not much is going to change really, as Ice moves will still probably be the better way to offensively check dragon types.

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
If Fairy is indeed weak to Steel, then expect Magnezone and Scizor to be the two most used pokemon in OU in the new metagame. Dragon spamming is countered by Fairy, in comes Scizor, Scizor forces it out/hits with pursuit on the switch, then Magnezone comes in to trap Scizor. Heatran will probably be really popular too since Magnezone can trap it but Heatran can kill it.

Of course the new gen could have pokemon that do the same things as these 3 but with better stats/abilities. I doubt it though considering how near perfect these 3 are at what they do
We're better off not trying to predict the metagame when we don't know anything about the new mechanics or Pokemon or new moves etc.

Really wish they would've just given the info on Fairies other type effectiveness properties. I really hate all this conjecture based on rumor being used. Regardless of source or potential credibility it's still just rumored at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)