Pokemon Black and White (SPECULATIONS ALLOWED HERE)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just thought of a nice combo for triple battles

ABC

A= Agility Empoleon with a Focus Sash and set of Agility/Surf/Ice Beam/Aqua Jet
B= Kamikaze Azelf with a Choice Scarf
C= Nasty Plot Infernape with a Focus Sash and a set of Nasty Plot/Close Combat/Fire Blast/Grass Knot

Azelf's explosion destroys everthing on the field except for Empoleon and Infernape who survive thanks to the Sash's and use the free turn to boost. Torrent boosted Surf takes care of two thirds of the opposing field and Infernape handles the other with his Blaze and Nasty Plot boosted Fire Blast. You can then replace your Kamikaze Azelf with a bulky Follow Me user like Togekiss to take all the hits for Empoleon and Ape (hopefully a real wall will get it in Gen 5).

If Sandstorm teams are popular, you can just replace Infernape with something like Swords Dance Gliscor, Swords Dance Lucario with Reversal, AgilliGross, Rock Polish Aggron, or even Swords Dance Garchomp if he becomes unbanned.

Another obstacle would be opposing Focus Sashers, but if you predict it right, you can use Empoleon's Aqua Jet and/or another pokes priority to pick them off (unless all three have Sashes, then you just pick two). This is probably where Lucario and Agiligross would fair better since they have Extreme Speed and Bullet Punch respectively.

Yet another problem would be opposing priority users who would break the sashes, but, again, you can change the strategy around by having an Aggron and Agiligross on both sides since they can withstand Explosion (obviously Aggron better than Metagross). However, I predict hyper offense, and so I don't think Fake Out or any other priority will be that popular since you'll want to hit fast and hard.

I think I'm gonna like triple battles. The strategies are endless.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I'll take that bet. I think it'll hit only adjacent Pokémon (like we've seen with Surf) and it'll do 75% damage.
I'd say it will happen only with Surf, but Selfdestruct/Explosion will hit everything regardless of positioning. But we'll see in less than two months from now.

I never said Phione is used to "explain" anything. I was saying this:

Manaphy hatches from an egg, and is not a baby pokemon. Thus, Manaphy should be able to theoretically breed and produce more Manaphy. To prevent this from happening, GF created Phione so that they could control Manaphy's rarity. That is the entire purpose of Phione's existence. It has no backstory or official promotion by Nintendo...it is just a check to keep Manaphy scarce.

Furthermore, all legendary pokemon have been featured in a Movie in some way or another, whether it be a cameo or an opening. Phione is nowhere to be seen, and is legendary only because it comes from Manaphy.
As I said. "Manaphy cannot lay Eggs outside of Fiore/Almia/Oblivia because of X", X being anything Game Freak finds believable. Phione was not necessary at all.

the 1st triple battle i have im going to play around with a scarf abomasnow with blizzard and 2 helping handers
That's highly unlikely since it'll probably take place in-game and the chances of you having a Scarfbomasnow and 2 Helping Handers are slim to none (even less considering that 1 Helping Hander has to be first in the party with Abomasnow following).

Unless you mean the first "competitive" one.

*snark*

That's highly unlikely since it'll probably take place in-game and the chances of you having a Scarfbomasnow and 2 Helping Handers are slim to none (even less considering that 1 Helping Hander has to be first in the party with Abomasnow following).

Unless you mean the first "competitive" one.

*snark*
Action Replays are wonderful things...

There's no way I'm going to play BW spoiler-free. When I first purchased Diamond version, I trained up Pachirisu and Chatot to level 40 thinking that they would eventually evolve into something worthwhile... It totally ruined my entire perception of Generation 4 when I discovered that they both remain to be unevolved and worthless.

Action Replays are wonderful things...
I don't mean to go off topic, but people bring this up all the time and I'm curious as to how the hell it works. Is it like the Game Genie for the Game Boy, where it goes into the DS and then you put the game into the AR and it runs on magic?

Azelf won't be able to kill everything with Explosion. (In fact, Empoleon might actually be able to survive it with some HP investment. If it can, you should definitely go with Petaya Berry.) It won't be able to take out bulky Rock and Steel-types or any Ghost-type. Dusknoir, for instance, could take out the weakened Empoleon out on the first turn with Earthquake and take out Infernape on the next turn with a quick Shadow Sneak. Scizor could probably do the same thing only with Super Power and Bullet Punch.

I think you should just go with a more standard Exposion strategy of something like Metagross, Azelf, and Rotom-A/Gengar/Dusknoir. Azelf is in the middle and can blow up quickly or Taunt opponents that try to set something up. Metagross is on the left and can explode as well as hitting things like Weavile and Gengar with Bullet Punch. Rotom-A can hit both Ghost-types and Steel-types SE (provided it has Overheat) and is immune to Explosion and Earthquake that you might be using. Gengar and Dusknoir can also work there because they're immune to Explosion and Dusknoir can also set up Gravity and Trick Room if you want to try something like that.

Here's a strategy that probably won't work (there's just too much stuff that could go wrong) but would be useful in Double and Triple Battles.

A: Chiramii (or any Pokemon with You First)
B: Bronzong (or any Pokemon with Trick Room)
C: Filler Pokemon, something that could help you set up.

Chiramii uses You First on Bronzong and Bronzong immediately goes after it and sets up Trick Room dispite it being a -6 priority move. It would be paricularly useful if You First has priority, since you could use something like Azelf and Taunt on the first turn and Explode with +1 priority on the second, but I think that would be insanely broken. There's also a chance that You First doesn't work on negative priority moves so you wouldn't be able to use it with Trick Room. Also, provided You First doesn't have +1 priority, fast Taunters would still be able to shut it down like any other Trick Room strategy. A Follow Me user in the third slot could mitigate this and the faster Trick Room could allow you to get it off before the Follow Me user is killed but it would still be dificult.

Edit: I'm definitely going to select my team prior to the English release of BW (or atleast most of it) and see all the new Pokemon (I'm not waiting to play competetively) but I'm going to try and not see anything plot related. Also, this thread could become partly spoiler free if people use HIDE tags and say they're spoilers.

@ onderon: Lolwut

I don't mean to go off topic, but people bring this up all the time and I'm curious as to how the hell it works. Is it like the Game Genie for the Game Boy, where it goes into the DS and then you put the game into the AR and it runs on magic?
Yep, exactly that, except for the magic part. :P AFAIK it's basically a "code injector," that inserts the hexadecimal cheats into the code of the game as it's running. There's more to it than that, but you get the idea.

And so as to not get too off-topic, there's no way I'm going spoiler-free til next year. I had HG and SS in Japanese (with an English patch that had the main storyline characters mostly translated as well as the move names), so I'll either wait for the English romhack or just play it outright. I <3 flash carts.

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
\I had HG and SS in Japanese (with an English patch that had the main storyline characters mostly translated and the move names), so I'll either wait for the English romhack or just play it outright. I <3 flash carts.
Woah I'm a noob when it comes to this can you explain it?
EDIT: ok thanks a bunch

Azelf won't be able to kill everything with Explosion. (In fact, Empoleon might actually be able to survive it with some HP investment. If it can, you should definitely go with Petaya Berry.) It won't be able to take out bulky Rock and Steel-types or any Ghost-type. Dusknoir, for instance, could take out the weakened Empoleon out on the first turn with Earthquake and take out Infernape on the next turn with a quick Shadow Sneak. Scizor could probably do the same thing only with Super Power and Bullet Punch.
I think it all depends on how the Trips Metagame shapes out. You're right in that explosion won't kill everything, but Empoleon and Infernape don't need boosts to finish opponents. A torrent and petaya (24 HP EVs let's him live, good idea) boosted Surf dishes out 60-71% to physical tank Dusknoir, Ape can easily finish him off with Fire Blast. If the opponent has rocks and grounds on the other side, Surf hits 2 of them and Ape's Close Combat is strong enough to pick off Explosion survivors.
If you decide to go Aggron, Head Smash destroys a lot things. Endure/Berry users also thrive here. The possibilities are so endless that it's a tad ridiculous of me to be theorymoning when I don't know the full extent of of Trips or even all the new moves/pokemon we'll be getting. It's fun, though.

As for You First, I think that works better in doubles. Scarf a You First user and team him up with Machamp. If a flier/levitator gets it, team them up with Rampardos (Mold Breaker Earthquake anyone?). This is assuming You First doesn't have priority. Depending on the bulk of the You First user, it should be a havoc wrecker for about 2-3 turns; do you attack the Attacker or the You Firster?

Yep, exactly that, except for the magic part. :P AFAIK it's basically a "code injector," that inserts the hexadecimal cheats into the code of the game as it's running. There's more to it than that, but you get the idea.
Awesomesauce. If I can use it to avoid tedious breeding chains, I might want to invest in one. Hopefully it comes with instructions.

Awesomesauce. If I can use it to avoid tedious breeding chains, I might want to invest in one. Hopefully it comes with instructions.
Honestly there's no instructions needed. You enter the code in the device, start up the game, and you're good to go. It's very useful for getting an all-31 IV's Ditto, or for just engineering your own Pokemon. You CAN go above the 510 EV limit with these, but don't, that's just lame. :P I even have a homebrew program on mine that let's me edit a Pokemon's stats right on my DS, no computer with PokeSav needed.

BUT ANYWAY

I propose a refocus back to the Gen V speculation, as I feel I'm responsible now for this thread derailing.

How long does it normally take after a game's release for the new metagame to stabilize, if only a little? This will be the first new generation I've been on Smogon for, and I'm curious if this is my chance to finally take the plunge into online battling.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
the 1st triple battle i have im going to play around with a scarf abomasnow with blizzard and 2 helping handers
I could be wrong, but I don't think two uses of Helping Hand are going to stack. I think you're better off with Choice Specs Abomasnow, a Helping Hand user and a You First user.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Wouldn't Tailwind be the most abused move ever?
Boosting all three pokemon for three turns ain't too shabby.
Well, you only actually get two turns of benefit. The turn you use it counts as one of the three turns.

It's a joke in singles and is underwhelming in doubles. As you say, though, it could be quite useful in triple battles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)