Pokemon Black & White, aka Gen 5. Coming to Japan in Fall 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was under the impression that a pure flyer would be hard to implement because when it uses roost it would have no type :0. The best work arounds for that that I can fathom is making a new type: no type. No type pokemon could either be just neutural to everything, or could be their own cool new type that's immune to normal or somthing crazy like that.

Just my two cents on an interesting topic
That's already how it works. If you hack a pure Flying-type Pokemon and give it Roost, when it uses it, it becomes Typeless (aka ???, the Curse-type) and is neutral to everything.

The main reason there are no pure Flying Pokemon is Roost. When a Pure Flying Pokemon sheds it's flying type...than what will it be? It would make sense for it to be normal....but I don't know if they will do something like that.

I don't see why they just don't make a footless flier and make it unable to learn roost.

I would picture a pure flying type as something that purely lives in the air, one that doesn't need land (lol birds). Maybe an angel like pokemon? I don't know.

Also, referring to the different forms of pokemon a few posts back (reference to notch eared pichu). If I remember right, the Pichu cannot evolve, pretty much making the new move it has useless. If all of the "different forms" of pokemon were like this (no evolution), then it wouldn't be a very good idea. However, if things were different, it could be a good idea.

The main reason there are no pure Flying Pokemon is Roost. When a Pure Flying Pokemon sheds it's flying type...than what will it be? It would make sense for it to be normal....but I don't know if they will do something like that.

I don't see why they just don't make a footless flier and make it unable to learn roost.
I severely doubt that's the main reason. They went three generations with no Roost in sight, after all, and yet still no pure Flying-types (and in Gen IV, if they were really concerned about that, they could simply have made an exception for pure Flying-types in the coding for Roost). Game Freak just seems to not like the idea of pure Flying for some reason, probably due to what they'd consider pure Flying overlaps with their idea of the Normal-type and what it entails, and so they slap them together. Anywhere that Flying doesn't overlap with Normal would overlap with something else. That's my best guess, at least.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I would picture a pure flying type as something that purely lives in the air, one that doesn't need land (lol birds). Maybe an angel like pokemon? I don't know.
That's what I think. The pure-Flying pokémon might have to be something more "elemental", like a... cloud (NOT Swablu, it's just a bird with cotton-like wings). Well, actually a cloud would probably be Electric/Ice, so maybe a wind pokémon? But even then, they could shit on the logic and make it Ghost ("the wind spirit")...

...Yeah, pure-Flying is a hard concept.

I think something that looks kind of like Mew except sky blue and with small Aerodactyl like wings instead of arms would work well as a pure Flying type.

Something like mew would have feet, and why have feet if you wouldn't need to land? And besides, there wouldn't be any reason for it to not land. It would just end up being something/Flying.

I'd think the albatross, the bird said in legend never to land, would do very nicely as a pure-flying.
That's actually a pretty good idea, could easily be fit into a pure flying type.

They could have totally made Rayquaza a pure Flying type, based on it's Pokedex entries of living in the ozone layer and flying around for millions of years without landing.

"Without landing", point is, it still lands. It lands in Emerald when you face it on top of that one tower place(lol). Also, he has characteristics of a Dragon, which would, regardless, make him a Dragon/Flying. If they would've made him more snake like, not so much fangs/claws, and him NEVER landing, I could understand a pure flying type. Especially with the other two legends of the time, Groudon (pure ground) and Kyogre (pure water).

Actually Rayquaza never lands, that was me being careless with my wording (and how would it land anyway lol). According to the Dex entry it descends to the earth, it never actually lands. And Gamfreak probably only added the Dragon-like characteristics because for some reason they don't like pure flying types. Honestly though even the "dragon chatacteristics" argument is BS in my opinion as you could easily argue that Groudon and Kyogre (not to mention tons of non legendaries like Charizard, Ttar, Sceptile, etc.) should be part Dragon. Really Rayquaza was the perfect opportunity for Gamefreak to make a pure Flying type.

I don't think a pure Flying type doesn't have to not ever land. o.o;

Pure Fire types still look part "normal" or "ground", and the same goes for every other elemental type. A part Flying type shouldn't be that hard to think up of. Its not like pure water types only stay in the water (well, some do, but not all) or pure electric types have to be made of energy.

I don't think a pure Flying type doesn't have to not ever land. o.o;

Pure Fire types still look part "normal" or "ground", and the same goes for every other elemental type. A part Flying type shouldn't be that hard to think up of. Its not like pure water types only stay in the water (well, some do, but not all) or pure electric types have to be made of energy.
Except that the Pokemon that SHOULD be pure flying by normal standards (basic birds) were made normal/flying. GF kinda screwed the pooch on that one.

What if they made a pure flying poke with no feet, and no access to mimic or mirror move or w/e? It wouldn't be able to Roost, problem solved. Like, say, a present bird pokemon's wings grew so strong that it evolved into a pure flying type and evolved past feet?

Not..sure if that made sense.

Well seeing as fire pokemon can be touched and poison pokemon dont poison their trainers i think the whole "it cant land" argument is a little wierd. Especially since most of the normal birds are...normal. They arent extraodinary in their looks or movepools apart from togekiss, but remember that togepi was origionally just a normal type so its normal typing is justified.

Roost, is generally only learned by Pokemon with wings but primarily involves landing rather than flying.
Which suggests to me the flight and landing are related in GF's conception of the typing.
Other Flying type moves such as Peck, Drill Peck, Pluck, Wing Attack, FeatherDance and Brave Bird point to one conclusion: the quintessential Flying type is a bird.
So I have no clue why all the ordinary birds are Normal/Flying but I don't think it is for lack of a concept.
Fortunately, the Normal/Flying typing isn't so bad because it gains a ghost immunity and another STAB for the loss of the fighting resist.

I want pure flying too. Albatross is a good concept, though I'd be worried about visual similarity to Lugia. Something based on the Bird-of-paradise could be good also, since historically stuffed specimens of that bird had their (ugly) feet removed before being given as gifts - and the group is diverse with many showy members, good for Pokemon concepts.

Also, referring to the different forms of pokemon a few posts back (reference to notch eared pichu). If I remember right, the Pichu cannot evolve, pretty much making the new move it has useless. If all of the "different forms" of pokemon were like this (no evolution), then it wouldn't be a very good idea. However, if things were different, it could be a good idea.
It only doesn't evolve on HGSS. Mostly because of laziness/because it's been time travelling with Celebi too much. Presumably if they brought this out as a full feature, even Spiky-Eared Pichu would evolve into a Spiky-Eared Pikachu.

1 sounds like it could work.

2 is horrible and shouldn't see the light of day, ever. by the way, 2 is what a strict hybrid is; the direct combining of two Pokemon (Pikachu and Cyndaquil) and making some lame, unoriginal mash up of the two; basically making a sprite splice that the fandom does for fun already. yeah, it's cool if it's done well, but it should stay out of the games. and I don't care if they evolve into new different Pokemon. if they're going to be new anyways, just make them new Pokemon that you can catch...
The idea is that you could come up with a good, in universe way for there to be alternate evolutions with variable types, considering they really dropped the ball on the Dawn Stone. Plus, it could just be by level up.

Except that the Pokemon that SHOULD be pure flying by normal standards (basic birds) were made normal/flying. GF kinda screwed the pooch on that one.
That thinking may have had some merit four years ago, but since 4th Gen and Roost we have finally been able to see what Gamefreak's intentions were all along. The game isn't designed to ever recognize a Pokemon as having no type, and so making such a wide range of birds pure Flying would greatly complicate the implementation of Roost as a concept. So in a sense they didn't screw the pooch, quite the opposite, they prevented it in that they allowed an interesting concept to become very much possible in the future.

That's not to say that a pure Flying Pokemon can't exist in the future, but like others said, it would have to be designed as such so that it can't learn or use Roost in any way. That kinda already applies with Arceus in a strange sort of way though.

Has it not been tested that a Pure-Flying Pokémon that uses Roost becomes ???-typed? I think there was a deal with a hacked Kecleon that had Roost and then an opponent Porygon uses Conversion and for some reason it fails.

Speaking of ???-Type, I wonder what the odds are we'd get a ???-Type Pokemon? No strengths, no weaknesses, no STAB. Frankly I don't think I could see it being very widely used, since average Pokemon rarely fare well.

I don't think we'll realistically get a ???-type Pokemon, unless it's ???-plate Arceus. But supposing they did consider it, I can see a ???-type Pokemon on an extremely powerful legendary Pokemon, in a "it's so powerful we don't know what the hell is going on" or "it doesn't have the strengths of one or two types but neither does it have the weaknesses" way.

Or on a gimmicky one-off Pokemon, weak as hell but with an interesting ability on top of its unusual typing.

That's not to say that a pure Flying Pokemon can't exist in the future, but like others said, it would have to be designed as such so that it can't learn or use Roost in any way.
Or they just change the mechanics of Roost.

I don't know if we will ever see a pure Flying type nonetheless. We've gone 4 generations, 65 part-flying Pokemon, 493 Pokemon in all - and no pure Flying type.

For what it's worth, out of 153 possible type combinations, 88 have been done, 65 not done. So even among 'type combinations', pure-Flying is in the minority in not existing.

On the plus side - 65 type pairs not yet done is plenty of room for new Pokemon.

EDIT: I had one concept for a Pokemon that would be ???-type. Not sure if I posted it already (I may have not done so on the grounds it's a bit rubbish).
'Infrabolus" is the embodiment of chaos and the counterpart to Arceus. The name is based on the Latin for lowest+devil, as a parallel to Arceus' possible etymology being highest+god. Stress is on the second syllable, similar to 'parabola'.
680 BST, likely offensively oriented. Its tru type is ???, but its unique ability, "Chaos Flux", causes it to randomly change typing every turn, to any of the 289 possible 'ordered' type combinations (17 of those would have primary and secondary the same; they would be treated as pure-types not as 'double' pure types.).
Its signature move would be 80 BP, physical (to counteract Judgement, which is special), and typing would be Infrabolus' primary typing at the time of use. It would get a generally large movepool, but perhaps lack the most powerful moves, on the grounds of chaos being unable to be focussed to such power, for if it was focussed it would become ordered.

Something I think would be interesting... not necessarily better... is more realistic and in depth effects from attacks. For example if surf or hydro pump has just been used, the opponent would be drenched in water... now if I was covered in water and got an electric shock surely it would be worse than if I was dry, so I'm thinking if a pokemon is wet from a previous attack it should take more damage from thunderbolt etc. Of course this is like rain dance, but the beauty is both being wet and rain dance can't really affect electric attack damage at the same time. Because being wet doesn't get much worse because it's raining. Anyway I'm rambling. Should being wet slow a pokemon down slightly too? Realistically yes.

But obviously these things are way too complex to have on the surface of a game largely owned by children. Iv's is fine because it's hidden from us in a way. So I'm not expecting anything close to it. But for fun, post what you think more in depth effects could be. I'm curious... Bi-curious. Not really. (sshhh)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)