1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Programming Pokemon Online replay player

Discussion in 'Technical Projects' started by Zarel, Aug 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zarel

Zarel Not a Yuyuko fan
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
    Creator of PS

Unfortunately, video export is not in my areas of expertise. :( Someone else is welcome to try, though. The rendering code is readable. The converted replays look like this:

http://aesoft.org/pokemon/uploads/lampeskaerm-vs-Violatic--2011-04-26.txt

Barring that, I would recommend screen-recording and uploading to YouTube.
  2. Darkaxis

Darkaxis

it´b SUPER handful for the ones who dont have a emulator I´d be like Blametruth or FlamingSpade

EDIT:oh well you are doing SO much for us i was pushing it too far.Good Luck friend! :D
  3. Zarel

Zarel Not a Yuyuko fan
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
    Creator of PS

By the way, I have a question:

Currently, I have animated front-sprites, but very few back-sprites are animated. Do you guys think I should switch the replay viewer to using animated front-sprites, and just leave the back-sprites still, or if I should let both of them be still until animated back-sprites are available?
  4. Chispy

Chispy

I'll put in a query at Veekun about it and see what comes from that.
  5. Mekkah

Mekkah
    is a Super Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
    Super Moderator

This is really well done :)
  6. Z-rex

Z-rex

This sick .. you'r a genius dude !

excellent work !
  7. Grimm70

Grimm70

OMG... I want this guy to have a trophy =p

Good job man !
  8. Eos

Eos Do It With A DON!
    is a Battle Server Moderator

9. Foster

Foster

Words fail to describe this.
  10. Zarel

Zarel Not a Yuyuko fan
    Creator of PS

I've made a lot of updates the past day, so I'm going to describe them (you may need to refresh the replay viewer to see the changes):

- Stealth Rock damage accounts for type effectiveness now
    - Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Stealth Rock are now visualized
    - Reflect and Light Screen are now visualized
    - Moves that miss will have miss animations

I've also been spending all my free time fixing bugs - suffice to say if your replay wasn't working before, it's probably working now.

For those curious, this is what entry hazards look like now: http://aesoft.org/pokemon/replay-test-sandstorm-hail-spikes
  11. Pocket

Pocket Bringing the Afro to Space
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Doubles Co-Leader

Hmm Stealth Rock is still not being super effective on Gyarados and Thundurus... the SR visualization works, though!

lost hard core

Here's a shorter one where Conky took normal damage from SR

won hard core
  12. Zarel

Zarel Not a Yuyuko fan
    Creator of PS

13. Pocket

Pocket Bringing the Afro to Space
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Doubles Co-Leader

this replayer getting more awesome by the minute - thanks, aeo - it's so fun to re-watch my battles just for the sake of the sick animations, ahaha
  14. Zarel

Zarel Not a Yuyuko fan
    Creator of PS

15. Seven Deadly Sins

Seven Deadly Sins ~hallelujah~
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Small glitch I noticed. In that log, Skarmory lays down only 2 layers of spikes, but it shows mons switching in as losing 25% of their HP to Spikes.

Also, instead of saying "2x atk" or "0.7x atk" can you have it just say +2 Atk or -1 Atk?
  16. Zarel

Zarel Not a Yuyuko fan
    Creator of PS

Oh, I thought Spikes was 12.5% per layer. Bulbapedia tells me I'm wrong. How embarrassing. >_<

Fixed.

The reason it's currently "2x Atk" is because I think a newbie user won't know what "+2 Atk" means, while an experienced user can easily deduce that "2x Atk" is two stages.

I'm open to changing it if there's a good reason, of course. Why do you think it should be changed?
  17. Seven Deadly Sins

Seven Deadly Sins ~hallelujah~
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

A couple reasons.

1: 0.7x Atk for -1 is inaccurate (since it's technically 2/3 or .66 repeating), and that annoys me.

2: I find plenty of people know what a stage boost translates to, but I personally prefer the stage boost notation simply because that's what's used in the simulator, and while it's easy to translate +2 to 2x Attack (because that's what a player does commonly), the reverse translation is a bit more unwieldy- seeing 2x Attack doesn't instantly read +2 to me, and seeing 3x Attack definitely doesn't translate to +4 (as was the case with an earlier log that I saw on this).

It's just an aesthetic thing, but it's one that I think works better with the actual stage boost than the multiplier.
  18. Delta 2777

Delta 2777 Machampion
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion

This is awesome!
  19. Chieliee

Chieliee

EDIT: Porygon2 shows up as Porygon.
  20. Tomahawk

Tomahawk Nidoqueen is good in Ubers!
    is a Team Rater Alumnus
    Mentor

21. Nails

Nails EAST 2014
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a World Cup of Pokemon defending champion

This is incredible.
  22. iss

iss happily ever after
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Pretty amazing! It seems to say that Dry Skin heals 6%, when it should heal 12.5%.
  23. RedGalaxy

RedGalaxy

yeah, there are a few problems, like the dry skin thing, and the program isn't sure what a white herb is, but the fact that it has better graphics then PO, and allows you to actually watch the battle, i have to give this thing 2 thumbs up.
  24. Zarel

Zarel Not a Yuyuko fan
    Creator of PS

Probably fixed. Could you link to a replay to confirm?

Fixed.

Could you link to a replay?

Can you link to a replay with white herb?
  25. Tobes

Tobes Woo-hoo, woo-hoo, woo-hoo-hoo!
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a World Cup of Pokemon defending champion

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)