Pokemon Shuffle General Discussion

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Any tips for S-Ranking Froslass and Zoroark? I've been trying to use Mega Lucario on both.
I S-ranked Froslass itemless. It's a matter of getting lucky. As it only has 3 moves, you have to beat it turn 1 to get the S-rank. Use your highest powered SE Pokemon and hope for the best. Latch-Ditch Effort from Heatran has a chance to activate in addition to Heatran's high damage. Don't bother about Mega evolution; you won't have time to activate it. Lucario can still be useful to use though for its high damage and the potential Plummel boost, which can gel well with Conkeldurr. I would probably recommend Heatran, Tyranitar, Lucario, and Conkeldurr, though really anything with SE 80 or SE 70 + useful ability is a good choice.

Btw ran into Garchomp in Safari twice now. Had enough coins for one Great Ball the first time and failed. Second time, had enough for two Great Balls 60% chance each and failed with them both :( Trying to find it now a third time. Now with enough money for three Great Balls... At least after those two failures I found Phione and caught it first try without spending money. I would have not spent the effort to get Phione otherwise as I already caught the other Pokemon and the only ones I'm after are Starmie, Gabite and especially Garchomp.

Ok I suck at Aegislash, so I use a C-1 .... I HAVE ALL S-RANKS yayyyyy !

Garchompite starts tomorrow ... I'm farming Meowth while levelling Phione, Starmie, Garchomp (Phione could be useful with his ability. Starmie is more meh, Suicune is basically the same. Garchomp could be useful with Garchompite)

Lyto

Experience Tranquility
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I got a 166 combo on Duosion, highest in the safari was around 125ish.

My luck with finding Phione is as bad as it was with Manectric though; I've used at least 80 or so hearts and I still haven't seen it once :/

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
So far I've caught all the safari mons except Garchomp. Ran into Gar 3 times already, and every time I've had to throw 3 great balls at it, only for it to break out every time (this is with like, a minimum of 48% on the attempts).

Hopefully fourth times the charm..

The competitions are getting harder I've noticed. It's not because of the amount of players legible to get the mega stone (18000 for Garchomp.) but the time. 10 days I think is too long for such a small number compared to earlier competitions, and it increases the amount of players who stayed in the running all the way to the final day, where last minute players got in.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The competitions are getting harder I've noticed. It's not because of the amount of players legible to get the mega stone (18000 for Garchomp.) but the time. 10 days I think is too long for such a small number compared to earlier competitions, and it increases the amount of players who stayed in the running all the way to the final day, where last minute players got in.
I think it is also in part because
  • More people get the game over time
  • As time goes on, this gives time for people who are still starting the game to catch decent Pokemon. For example, I used Espurr for the very first competition, but by the 2nd one all my Pokemon were at least base 60 power.
  • People are using items more regularly for the competitions. This is mostly the result of the competitions being harder, but it perpetuates the effect, as it means you're at a greater disadvantage if you don't spend coins than previously before
The stages themselves also seem to be getting harder on average over time. I miss the stages when there wasn't a 5th support Pokemon. The Mega Garchomp stage is definitely the hardest so far, with not only Gible but with the entire two middle columns causing major combo disruptions. This is reflected in the score. As of posting, I scored 9304. I was taken back by the stage, had struggled to get a chain going and Mega Evolved late. This score would have been terrible in any other Mega stage. However I'm currently 6680/30743 (Europe) - enough to get the Garchompite and nearly top 20%. I know this will change over time. Even the top scores aren't as high as what they are, with only two scores above 55000 (59283 and... 88129 with an Arceus team - I have no idea how he managed to pull that off in this type of stage! None of the other top 5s are Arceus teams!)

I think it is also in part because
  • More people get the game over time
  • As time goes on, this gives time for people who are still starting the game to catch decent Pokemon. For example, I used Espurr for the very first competition, but by the 2nd one all my Pokemon were at least base 60 power.
  • People are using items more regularly for the competitions. This is mostly the result of the competitions being harder, but it perpetuates the effect, as it means you're at a greater disadvantage if you don't spend coins than previously before
The stages themselves also seem to be getting harder on average over time. I miss the stages when there wasn't a 5th support Pokemon. The Mega Garchomp stage is definitely the hardest so far, with not only Gible but with the entire two middle columns causing major combo disruptions. This is reflected in the score. As of posting, I scored 9304. I was taken back by the stage, had struggled to get a chain going and Mega Evolved late. This score would have been terrible in any other Mega stage. However I'm currently 6680/30743 (Europe) - enough to get the Garchompite and nearly top 20%. I know this will change over time. Even the top scores aren't as high as what they are, with only two scores above 55000 (59283 and... 88129 with an Arceus team - I have no idea how he managed to pull that off in this type of stage! None of the other top 5s are Arceus teams!)
They likely used mega kenga/audino to clear the middle rows and then prayed to Jirachi while Arceus Poketised (Pokemon baptised) them in a pool of water that had been purified by ten thousand suicunes.

Darkmalice

Level 3
They likely used mega kenga/audino to clear the middle rows and then prayed to Jirachi while Arceus Poketised (Pokemon baptised) them in a pool of water that had been purified by ten thousand suicunes.
The team was Mega Blastoise, Arceus, Blissey and Lickilicky. All the top 5 teams in Europe used Mega Blastoise. It seems to be the best balance between removing the blocks in the middle and keeping your combo up. Audino would be too bad at the former, and Kangaskhan too bad at the latter.

Last edited:
I ran into Phione on my first Safari attempt, having not checked the subreddit. I had no idea it was so rare... so I didn't use my Great Ball on it. That might have been a small error...

I've been using a team of M-Glaile, Sceptile, Shaymin, and Articuno/Swampert mostly. I tried using M-Aerodactyl once, who I thought would help clear disruptions, but not being SE and with the difficulty to get a Mega in time, it wasn't worth it. Last I checked I was somewhere in the 8000s for the US.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Well seeing how the top score worldwide by an incredible margin uses the combination of mega Banette/arceus/lickilicki/snorlax and has an incredibly dominating score of 130k+ I think it's safe to say what the strongest method is

Haruno

What possible advantage could it have in a team that has no other ghost types to activate his mega ability?
It doesn't disrupt the board (important when double normal's goal is to maximize combos) whereas gengar has a combination of taking a really long time for its effect to take place and also making it almost impossible to combo properly while its active. Not to mention that banette mevo's slower than your other option (mewtwo) so it won't disrupt till all the disruptions finish. So it's pretty much just used as a single combo mevo that doesn't disrupt the board and although it might not get the double normal boost, by virtue of being a mega, it takes longer for the whole clearing thing to finish and thus give you more time to search for combos which is crucial for double normal. The results kinda speak for themselves since banette has a vastly higher score than a double normal team with gengar (EU's gengar/90bp normal x2/arceus) has around 80k or so, whereas Japan's team with banette (banette/90bp normal x2/arceus) has 130kish mark.

Darkmalice

Level 3
It doesn't disrupt the board (important when double normal's goal is to maximize combos) whereas gengar has a combination of taking a really long time for its effect to take place and also making it almost impossible to combo properly while its active. Not to mention that banette mevo's slower than your other option (mewtwo) so it won't disrupt till all the disruptions finish. So it's pretty much just used as a single combo mevo that doesn't disrupt the board and although it might not get the double normal boost, by virtue of being a mega, it takes longer for the whole clearing thing to finish and thus give you more time to search for combos which is crucial for double normal. The results kinda speak for themselves since banette has a vastly higher score than a double normal team with gengar (EU's gengar/90bp normal x2/arceus) has around 80k or so, whereas Japan's team with banette (banette/90bp normal x2/arceus) has 130kish mark.
This makes me wonder if practically you would be better off using a 4th normal-type instead of Mega Banette. You wouldn't have Mega Banette combos going on the whole time, especially when it hasn't Mega Evoed, and for a player to get 130k+, he must have maintained a combo the entire time. This suggests he's good enough to maintain the combo even without Mega Banette's help. If he doesn't need it, and if he doesn't want to use another Mega for the lack of combing options, then I think he would have been better off with a 4th normal for the extra damage. Of course I can't argue with the 130k+ result; that alone makes it seem like a practically amazing choice. But it still doesn't seem to be theoretically a good choice.

Btw EU's top score doesn't have MGengar; it's MBlastoise. All the top 5 in Europe used MBlastoise.

Haruno

This makes me wonder if practically you would be better off using a 4th normal-type instead of Mega Banette. You wouldn't have Mega Banette combos going on the whole time, especially when it hasn't Mega Evoed, and for a player to get 130k+, he must have maintained a combo the entire time. This suggests he's good enough to maintain the combo even without Mega Banette's help. If he doesn't need it, and if he doesn't want to use another Mega for the lack of combing options, then I think he would have been better off with a 4th normal for the extra damage. Of course I can't argue with the 130k+ result; that alone makes it seem like a practically amazing choice. But it still doesn't seem to be theoretically a good choice.

Btw EU's top score doesn't have MGengar; it's MBlastoise. All the top 5 in Europe used MBlastoise.
Ah my mistake about the EU thing. Since I dont play on eu servers I can't really check lol.

To let you see Japan's top scorers. Banette could be used as some sort of insurance since it gives a slightly longer combo animation than other mons and you absolutely want a mega for the pseudo complexity-1. Like it sounds awful in theory but as you can see, results say otherwise. What's even more interesting is a kanga was number 2 despite it absolutely being terrible for combos.

I haven't played this game in quite a while, and I don't think I'll play it anymore. The game doesn't surprise me anymore. It's basically grinding, and waiting for another Mega Stone/Legendary Pokemon to come up and win. It's just boring to me. I also figured waiting for hearts to come back up really throws me off. When I want to play the game, I want to play it. I don't want to wait more than two hours after every ten minutes I play. And I refuse spending a single cent on this game.

Darkmalice

Level 3
Buy some Hearts with your jewels ... ?
Some people like to store all their jewels and keep them instead of buying them on a temporary benefit, especially when you're unwilling to use real money.

I for one am doing the same. I could imagine something like a Jewel shop where you spend Jewels to obtain certain Pokemon or Mega stones happening in the future, possibly on old event Pokemon/stones. If it does happen, I much rather have my jewels for that.

I haven't played this game in quite a while, and I don't think I'll play it anymore. The game doesn't surprise me anymore. It's basically grinding, and waiting for another Mega Stone/Legendary Pokemon to come up and win. It's just boring to me. I also figured waiting for hearts to come back up really throws me off. When I want to play the game, I want to play it. I don't want to wait more than two hours after every ten minutes I play. And I refuse spending a single cent on this game.
I only play it as a short break. I never intend to play it for long periods of time. Admittedly that gets tricky when I feel like I should EXP grind, as the only quick way of grinding is Victini. Ampharos and especially Snorlax take long to complete unless youre using many Pokemon that are good against them.

Also, for the competition, do you find you do better when using Phione, in order to pair up with the middle columns, or when using a base 70 SE Pokemon instead? My Phione is level 6 btw, where as my other SEs are Shaymin 8, Articuno and Sceptile 7 (Vitality Drain is counterproductive in competitions but it's rare to proc), and then Kyogre on 6 with Milotic at 5.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)