1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Click here to ensure that you never miss a new SmogonU video upload!

Data Pokemon Sun/Moon Battle Mechanics Research

Discussion in 'Smogon Metagames' started by Nexus, Nov 11, 2016.

1. urkerab

urkerab
    is a Battle Server Moderator

So then the following post was wrong all along?
  2. Kadabrium

Kadabrium

What's the difference between a ???/flying type and a plain flying type?
  3. Marty

Marty Always more to find
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Pokemon Researcher

Well, I've already mentioned it earlier in the thread, which I'm pretty sure you've seen since I quoted you in that post and we've discussed the related Reflect Type shenanigans before.
  4. urkerab

urkerab

So let me see if I've understood correctly:
    • After Moltres uses Burn Up, Reflect Type becomes Flying
    • After Moltres uses Burn Up and Roost, Reflect Type fails
    • After Trick-Or-Treat Moltres uses Burn Up and Roost, Reflect Type becomes Normal/Ghost
    (I don't think this is what the sim does...)
  5. Marty

is a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Pokemon Researcher

Indeed you do, see also https://dex.pokemonshowdown.com/moves/reflecttype which I updated at the time.
  6. urkerab

urkerab

But after the Trick-Or-Treat Burn Up Moltres without Roost, do you get Flying/Ghost or Normal/Flying/Ghost?

Meanwhile, I've been looking at Beat Up, partly with an eye to its compatibility with Instruct. The current code on the sim checks each team member on each hit, skipping those that are statused, except that the user is never skipped in Gen 5 or later. Would it be a problem to calculate the list of team members before the first hit? The only case I can think of where it would make a difference is in a double battle where your first slot uses Beat Up on your second slot (this is apparently popular with Whimsicott and Terrakion). If your first slot happens to have Poison Touch it could theoretically poison your second slot before it gets a chance to take part in the Beat Up...
  7. Marty

Flying/Ghost

Re: Beat Up, it's not a contact move so it probably doesn't matter.
  8. Marty

Double posting because this is big news.

Aurora Veil doesn't actually "stack" with Reflect / Light Screen. They can be active at the same time because they have different effect codes, but the damage formula only takes one of them into consideration because its effect seems to literally be Reflect and Light Screen's effects together. I looked around and apparently the Japanese community has known about this since the third week the games were out! Implementing this on PS right now.
    thesecondbest, eht, sedertz and 68 others like this.
  9. Siggu

Siggu

Oh this is going to be quite the hit in lower tiers.

But how did we miss it in the first place? I'm sure someone tested it... or it was just checking if both could be active.

It's so odd I'm betting it's actually a glitch. Pokemon tends to have more explicit checks for things that don't stack IIRC.
  10. Nexus

Nexus Forever the Recusant
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Wi-Fi Commissioner

We've missed things for way longer like the whole body slam bit concerning gen 1 crystal_ found a while back or battle videos in emerald and their application in rng abuse. Goes to show there's always more to find out even after we've ripped the games to shred and looking to other communities for their info while doing our own work. Thanks Marty I've added the above to the OP.
  11. pkmnRaion

pkmnRaion

Quick question: Now that you are fixing Showdown can someone fix that Zygarde 10% learns Iron Tail and other tutor moves? Because you can't get them in the game
    Melons-N-Soda and Mijzelffan like this.
  12. urkerab

urkerab

DaWoblefet mentioned to me that Assist will fail if the only move it can call is Shell Trap, and I notice that the sim already blocks Sleep Talk from calling Shell Trap, so does that in fact apply to all moves that call other moves?
  13. MacChaeger

MacChaeger formerly OU banned my masquerain

Do moves used through Dancer or Instruct count as the last move used? What about moves called by other moves such as through Assist, or moves reflected by Magic Bounce? Does the move have to fail against every target in a Double Battle, or just one?
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017 at 5:07 PM
  14. Gliwick

Gliwick

Does Incinerate burn terrain seeds? Given that it burns gems alongside berries...

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)