1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Click here to ensure that you never miss a new SmogonU video upload!

Data Pokemon Sun/Moon Battle Mechanics Research

Discussion in 'Smogon Metagames' started by Nexus, Nov 11, 2016.

1. urkerab

urkerab
    is a Battle Server Moderator

So then the following post was wrong all along?
  2. Kadabrium

Kadabrium

What's the difference between a ???/flying type and a plain flying type?
  3. Marty

Marty Always more to find
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Pokemon Researcher

Well, I've already mentioned it earlier in the thread, which I'm pretty sure you've seen since I quoted you in that post and we've discussed the related Reflect Type shenanigans before.
  4. urkerab

urkerab

So let me see if I've understood correctly:
    • After Moltres uses Burn Up, Reflect Type becomes Flying
    • After Moltres uses Burn Up and Roost, Reflect Type fails
    • After Trick-Or-Treat Moltres uses Burn Up and Roost, Reflect Type becomes Normal/Ghost
    (I don't think this is what the sim does...)
  5. Marty

is a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Pokemon Researcher

Indeed you do, see also https://dex.pokemonshowdown.com/moves/reflecttype which I updated at the time.
  6. urkerab

urkerab

But after the Trick-Or-Treat Burn Up Moltres without Roost, do you get Flying/Ghost or Normal/Flying/Ghost?

Meanwhile, I've been looking at Beat Up, partly with an eye to its compatibility with Instruct. The current code on the sim checks each team member on each hit, skipping those that are statused, except that the user is never skipped in Gen 5 or later. Would it be a problem to calculate the list of team members before the first hit? The only case I can think of where it would make a difference is in a double battle where your first slot uses Beat Up on your second slot (this is apparently popular with Whimsicott and Terrakion). If your first slot happens to have Poison Touch it could theoretically poison your second slot before it gets a chance to take part in the Beat Up...
  7. Marty

Flying/Ghost

Re: Beat Up, it's not a contact move so it probably doesn't matter.
  8. Marty

Double posting because this is big news.

Aurora Veil doesn't actually "stack" with Reflect / Light Screen. They can be active at the same time because they have different effect codes, but the damage formula only takes one of them into consideration because its effect seems to literally be Reflect and Light Screen's effects together. I looked around and apparently the Japanese community has known about this since the third week the games were out! Implementing this on PS right now.
  9. Siggu

Siggu

Oh this is going to be quite the hit in lower tiers.

But how did we miss it in the first place? I'm sure someone tested it... or it was just checking if both could be active.

It's so odd I'm betting it's actually a glitch. Pokemon tends to have more explicit checks for things that don't stack IIRC.
  10. Nexus

Nexus Forever the Recusant
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Wi-Fi Commissioner

We've missed things for way longer like the whole body slam bit concerning gen 1 crystal_ found a while back or battle videos in emerald and their application in rng abuse. Goes to show there's always more to find out even after we've ripped the games to shred and looking to other communities for their info while doing our own work. Thanks Marty I've added the above to the OP.
  11. pkmnRaion

pkmnRaion

Quick question: Now that you are fixing Showdown can someone fix that Zygarde 10% learns Iron Tail and other tutor moves? Because you can't get them in the game
    Melons-N-Soda and Mijzelffan like this.
  12. urkerab

urkerab

DaWoblefet mentioned to me that Assist will fail if the only move it can call is Shell Trap, and I notice that the sim already blocks Sleep Talk from calling Shell Trap, so does that in fact apply to all moves that call other moves?
  13. MacChaeger

MacChaeger formerly OU banned my masquerain

Do moves used through Dancer or Instruct count as the last move used? What about moves called by other moves such as through Assist, or moves reflected by Magic Bounce? Does the move have to fail against every target in a Double Battle, or just one?
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  14. Gliwick

Gliwick

Does Incinerate burn terrain seeds? Given that it burns gems alongside berries...
  15. MacChaeger

MacChaeger formerly OU banned my masquerain

Do the following moves animate when they fail under certain conditions?
    Moves (open)

• Aromatherapy: Nothing gets cured and/or an active ally negates the effect of the move on themselves with Sap Sipper.
    • Block: The target can't be trapped.
    • Defog: The target's evasion can't go any lower and there's nothing to clear.
    • Flower Shield: There are Grass types to hit, but their defense stat is already maxed so the move doesn't actually affect them.
    • Guard Swap: Neither the user or the target has a relevant boost to be swapped.
    • Heal Bell: Same as Aromatherapy, but replace Sap Sipper with Soundproof.
    • Mean Look: Same as Block.
    • Power Swap: Same as Guard Swap.
    • Spider Web: Same as Block.
    • Strength Sap: The target has maxed its attack stat out and has the ability Contrary, or has an ability that prevents its attack stat from being lowered, or either of those cases while the user has full HP, or the target's attack stat is protected by Flower Veil and the target has the ability Liquid Ooze.

Edited out questions that were answered below already, but I'd still like confirmation on the rest of these.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2017 at 3:13 AM
  16. Marty

You seem to have read that post backwards. Moves with the "mystery" flag do animate when used on allies, and those without do not. Also, Dancer does activate when you attack your ally with Fiery Dance or Revelation Dance, which don't animate, so "having an animation" is a bad metric for determining whether it activates or not. Whatever I said the other day is more accurate; successful against at least one target.
    MacChaeger likes this.
  17. Kadabrium

Kadabrium

18. thesecondbest

thesecondbest Just Kidding I'm First

it says on bulbapedia not affected by magic coat so i assume that is intended.
  19. DragonWhale

DragonWhale It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

Alright so this probably doesn't affect any metagame due to how bad Regigias is, but Slow Start halves damage from special Z-moves lol (It doesn't affect regular special attacks as usual).

Video on twitter: https://twitter.com/godevening2369/status/924279566448783362

Calc shows that Z-Earth Power should OHKO Mega Gengar, but does a little over half instead. The second video (in the replies) shows Mega Gengar getting OHKOed after Slow Start wears off.
    King Wynaut, Oglemi, sedertz and 4 others like this.
  20. DrPumpkinz

DrPumpkinz

21. Slowbrosky

Slowbrosky

Something that I came across in game which doesn't seem to be the same on the simulator is the interaction between Clear Body and Parting Shot. From my experience if a non Mold Breaker Pokemon uses Parting Shot on a Pokemon with Clear Body, they are forced to stay in and the move fails completely. I did some testing with my cartridge and with my friends as well and it seems like the case is consistent. On Showdown, while the drops do not happen the Pokemon is still allowed to switch. Figured I should let you all know to get this fixed as quickly as possible.
    Eternally likes this.
  22. MAMP

MAMP

do you know if this also applies to other moves that drop stats in addition to another effect? in other words, does clear body stop defog from removing hazards?
  23. Slowbrosky

Slowbrosky

After some testing Defog remains unchanged beyond not lowering the stat of the Clear Body mon. So no pseudo spin block
    MAMP likes this.
  24. SadisticMystic

SadisticMystic

Reported on the previous page, and in fact it's caused by anything that causes both stat changes to fail to take effect. Even something as simple as using Parting Shot seven times in a row against the same opponent with no intervening stat boosts, the seventh one will fail (since the stats have already bottomed out) and you don't get to switch.

If only one of the stats can be changed (such as the opponent staying in to use three Draco Meteors and then you Parting Shot them, or if they have Hyper Cutter), it still applies that one stat change, and you still get to switch.
    Slowbrosky likes this.
  25. Kadabrium

Kadabrium

likely old but a search didnt return anything
    if a z move is used against a pressure holder does the base move lose 2pp

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)