1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Click here to ensure that you never miss a new SmogonU video upload!

Data Pokemon Sun/Moon Battle Mechanics Research

Discussion in 'Smogon Metagames' started by Nexus, Nov 11, 2016.

1. sumwun

sumwun

Sorry if my wording wasn't clear. If Bulbapedia can datamine Pokemon games, why can't we?
  2. Arcticblast

Arcticblast Ultra Ball off of Abyssal Hand for Lele for Guzma for game
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

who said we couldn't?
  3. sumwun

sumwun

Then why do we have to test everything?
  4. Sondero

Sondero Giveaway Extraordinaire
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributor

I don't know much about how datamining is done, but I'd imagine that doing it won't just let you know everything about how mechanics work. Like I'm fairly certain you won't find lines of code formatted like "If [Pokemon] is burned, attack is halved". Like sure it may be possible to read which lines of code relates to how certain mechanics work, but I doubt it's easier or accurate at all to read lines of code to find out how mechanics work than it is to test it manually.
    sumwun likes this.
  5. Siggu

Siggu

Datamining does not give you everything. You don't get behaviour from it... what you can get is constant data like names, base power, descriptions, etcetera. And only because the data structure has been rather consistent in recent generations.
    sumwun, OrangeGuru and Sondero like this.
  6. urkerab

urkerab
    is a Battle Server Moderator

I don't see these implemented on the sim, but I wanted to check because the sources I've seen can't be considered reliable:
    • When Shields Down transforms Minior to Meteor forme, it is completely immune to status, even ignoring Mold Breaker
    • Immunity to status includes blocking drowsiness from Yawn.
    Can anyone confirm these?
  7. sumwun

sumwun

Both statements are true according to Bulbapedia, but Bulbapedia might not be reliable enough.
  8. Sondero

Sondero Giveaway Extraordinaire
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributor

Tested it on Cart (Battle Video code: MC9W-WWWW-WWW7-U2MN). Shields Down does indeed protect Minior-Meteor from Mold Breaker Status and drowsiness from Yawn.
    GMars and Lionyx like this.
  9. Drk Pwnr

Drk Pwnr

10. sumwun

sumwun

Try asking in the Ruins of Alph research thread.
    Drk Pwnr likes this.
  11. sumwun

sumwun

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I remember that there was a thread like this for XY and maybe another one for BW. Can someone link me to those two threads?
  12. urkerab

urkerab
    is a Battle Server Moderator

What happens if Oranguru Instructs Slaking (or Durant), both on a normal and on a "Truant" turn?

If Oranguru instructs a Pokémon holding a Metronome, does the power of its move increase?

If Oranguru instructs a Pokémon that used Assurance, does the second hit double in power?
  13. MyRandomThoughts

MyRandomThoughts

Can someone test if Solar Blade in the sun gets redirected by Follow Me? It doesn't seem to in PS.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7doublesou-611107334 <- The discovery
    http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7doublesou-611108408 <- Proving it is Solar Blade
    http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7doublesou-611109036 <- Mishiimono wanting to win
    http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7doublesou-612927407 <- Proving it only happens in sun.

Tagging Mishimono and Z strats since they figured out it was and I still don't know if mish mish figured it out yet.
  14. Bughouse

Bughouse Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Follow Me doesn't redirect moves with a charge turn like Fly or Solar Beam normally I'm pretty sure. Just test if Solar Blade is working the same as Solar Beam in and out of sun. Should be the same.
  15. Drk Pwnr

Drk Pwnr

Someone figured out what the mystery move flag in gens 6 and 7 does. The flag indicates whether the move's battle animation will play if the move is used on an ally in battle. Moves with the flag play the animation, and moves without the flag do not. Many of the moves with the flag are moves known by wild Pokémon that attack each other in horde battles (Seviper/Zangoose, etc).

Credit for the find goes to SnorlaxMonster, who posted about it in a comment on veekun's dev blog:
    Obviously this discovery will change the entire metagame and I expect it to be implemented in Showdown ASAP :P
    MacChaeger, sparktrain, Marty and 5 others like this.
  16. breh

breh 強いだね

hey, it matters if we ever get animation times and normal human being length game timers
  17. Phat Albert

Phat Albert

If Instruct is used on a Truant pokemon that has used a move I'm pretty sure it just "burns" a Truant turn.

Example at 11:49
    urkerab likes this.
  18. MyRandomThoughts

MyRandomThoughts

It's not. Solar Blade doesn't get redirected by Follow Me in the sun, but Solar Beam does.
  19. SnorlaxMonster

SnorlaxMonster

I probably should have posted this in here back in March when I realized that's what it was for, instead of just tweeting about it. Oops.

If I can insert one slight clarification: Moves that always target allies (or the user or an ally in the case of Acupressure) don't need the flag. It's only used on moves that can target either an opponent or an ally.

Also, it's worth noting that it seems like all of the moves that only had the flag in Gen 6 due to ally-attacking Pokémon in Horde Encounters had it removed in Gen 7, except Odor Sleuth (probably an oversight due to being a status move). The only other move that had it removed between the generations was Eerie Impulse, but there doesn't seem to be much consistency in which stat-lowering moves have it.
    Marty and Drk Pwnr like this.
  20. Marty

Marty Always more to find
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Pokemon Researcher

Two-turn moves (besides Sky Drop) actually do get redirected on the second turn, or the first turn if the move ends up taking one turn. I fixed this on PS last year, but Solar Blade didn't exist yet so it wasn't included it in the weather check. Should be fixed next restart, thanks for the report!
  21. SnorlaxMonster

SnorlaxMonster

This isn't a good description of how it works in Gen 6. Even if you use Judgment/Techno Blast or Weather Ball with no held Plate/Drive or in neutral weather, its type will not be changed by Aerilate/Pixilate/Refrigerate. This description gives the impression that its possible to change the types of these moves (other than Natural Gift) with Abilities as long as they would otherwise be Normal-type.

Gen 6 battle video: QYQW-WWWW-WW5G-QQD9
    (The start demonstrates Aerialate with Normal-type Judgment/Techno Blast/Weather Ball, the end demonstrates Normalize with Fire-type Judgment/Weather Ball.)

Gen 7 works the same way, but I don't have a battle video.
    fsk likes this.
  22. Dunsparce Fanboy

Dunsparce Fanboy

Does Serene Grace affects King's Rock and Razor Fang's chance of flinching the opponent ?
  23. Karxrida

Karxrida Sorcerous Prince
    is a Community Contributor

I don't believe so.
  24. MaahirMomtaz12

MaahirMomtaz12

Serene Grace is not affected by items, only moves with secondary effects.
    Dunsparce Fanboy likes this.
  25. motherlove

motherlove

I'm somewhat confident that this is not the way it currently works on showdown since I've seen ppl use serene grace king's rock beat up to decent success.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)