Pokemon VGC 2010 DATES / rules announced for the US!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mewtwo actually isn't that bad and it is a potent threat due to its vast movepool. From the ones I've seen in action, most of them taunt. Mewtwo isn't as frail as Azelf either so it can take a few hits while being able to retaliate with a strong blow. I think all teams should have a counter for Mewtwo or at least something to take its special hits.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Good job man.
Yeah Mewtwo isn't really a good choice for the Uber slot, at least people are starting to realize that.
I still think he has potential, if people just start using him right and not spamming Me First or Self Destructs. He's crazy fast and Crazy powerful. You've just got to use him intelligently.

I honestly thought that weavile had a chance as well, but I guess I was wrong.....While on youtube I found another cool PBR video and the guy was playing a pretty cool regice, he used icywind like 4 times before it got knocked out

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I honestly thought that weavile had a chance as well, but I guess I was wrong.....While on youtube I found another cool PBR video and the guy was playing a pretty cool regice, he used icywind like 4 times before it got knocked out
I've had good luck with that Worlds 09 Weavile. I shard hit's lots of Dragons and whatnot pretty hard, Night slash for Mewtwo/Giratina, Brick Break hits Dialga Pretty hard, Fake Out is always useful, plus he's pretty dang fast!

mattj-I just realized that that video i referenced with the regice was your battle, that really sucked with the missed rockslide at the end...you really had that match!

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
mattj-I just realized that that video i referenced with the regice was your battle, that really sucked with the missed rockslide at the end...you really had that match!
xD Yeah, that one with Bad Intent! xD Yeah. It happens. That's what best of 3 is for. :P

90 friggin percent accuracy my eye. >:P

Honestly my wifi skills are way down cuz I've been RNGing like crazy to build up my stockpile ya know? ;)

xD Yeah, that one with Bad Intent! xD Yeah. It happens. That's what best of 3 is for. :P

90 friggin percent accuracy my eye. >:P

Honestly my wifi skills are way down cuz I've been RNGing like crazy to build up my stockpile ya know? ;)
Rock slide...that move cost me VGC Seattle round 3, but that is history.

And i also have been churning out pokemon for the last few weeks. VGC Info is around a month away *Hops up and down*

I still think he has potential, if people just start using him right and not spamming Me First or Self Destructs. He's crazy fast and Crazy powerful. You've just got to use him intelligently.
I was mostly interested in the crazy fast part. Out of all the ubers that are allowed, he's the fastest Taunter of the bunch.

I thought of intelligent uses for him but there simply aren't too many. My point is that these base 95 power move don't deal enough damage in this environment, Mewtwo just serves as a counter for special threads, it is utility to my mind and nothing more or less... Yeah He might be the fastest taunter but that is only the case if you use Rayquaza as a partner because it just gets slaughtered by faster, heavy hitting Pokes and it lacks immunities whereas Azelf has a decently powered boom and Levitate to its disposal.

It is only crazy fast if you scarf him but then he lacks move diversity and power. As for the "crazy powerful", he lacks really strong moves (Psycho boost would be sexy) so he needs either LO/Specs which restrict his advantages too.

I'm not into having an argument with you matt, that's just my 2 cents =)

Rock slide...that move cost me VGC Seattle round 3, but that is history.

And i also have been churning out pokemon for the last few weeks. VGC Info is around a month away *Hops up and down*
Yeah, I can't believe it's already gonna start back up again, seems like just yesterday the events were going on haha. Can't wait to finally see some quality matches, and get to breeding :D

I just got together my 2009 VGC rules team. HAHA! when I was asking around for a battle they asked whether I wanted to play with 2009 or 2010 VGC rules. I just found out about this potentially exciting news. UBERS! I loves my ubers.
Go Groudon! Sorry for this meaningless bump.

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
If there is a VGC in the greater los angeles area, I may actually start caring about wifi again haha.

Anyway, I'm just curious: what are the major differences between the '09 VGC metagame and '10 VGC metagame? Is it too early to tell, or does it seem like a lot more people are using themed teams versus goodstuffs, or vise verse? Are there any pokemon that are being used a lot, any old or new strategies being used? Are there new types of themed teams being used, or are there themed teams used last year that are now unviable with the addition of ubers? Etcetera, etcetera. You catch my drift. I'm just really curious where these new rules are directing the game to.

I want to have a decent idea what to expect for next year, but I really dont want to waste my time if there isnt going to be anything going on in my area (fuck my parents for not letting me get my driver's license). Thanks to whoever answers this for me!

Well, that's to be expected. It seems as if the way Mewtwo has been used from that statement is kinda like how he was used in JAA, only w/o Me First, because it didn't exist quite yet.
-At least that's how I see it.

If there is a VGC in the greater los angeles area, I may actually start caring about wifi again haha.

Anyway, I'm just curious: what are the major differences between the '09 VGC metagame and '10 VGC metagame? Is it too early to tell, or does it seem like a lot more people are using themed teams versus goodstuffs, or vise verse? Are there any pokemon that are being used a lot, any old or new strategies being used? Are there new types of themed teams being used, or are there themed teams used last year that are now unviable with the addition of ubers? Etcetera, etcetera. You catch my drift. I'm just really curious where these new rules are directing the game to.

I want to have a decent idea what to expect for next year, but I really dont want to waste my time if there isnt going to be anything going on in my area (fuck my parents for not letting me get my driver's license). Thanks to whoever answers this for me!
Well, there is no official announcement about 2010 VGC rules in the USA other than what Mike Liesik said on the OP Discussion forum:
We likely won't have tournament rules for VG ready to go until the end of this year. For now, it would probably be best to have them use the VGC format from the 2009 series.
There you go - from the OP Man himself - No rules/date/locations until years end. And i am surre the statement about "Use last years" is a just in case measure if they decide to NOT use japans rules. It is not uncommon to do this - Pokemon TCG does it all the time.

~ulti

Ya the TCGs usually about a year behind on things like this so hopefully it won't be like that in this case.

On a side note does anyone know when NetBattle will be up again?

Ya the TCGs usually about a year behind on things like this so hopefully it won't be like that in this case.

On a side note does anyone know when NetBattle will be up again?
Netbattle's been up for a while, well, the registry's been down, but if you want to practice your doubles you can go to PBB's great server here....

Normally a lot of people are on, so check it out if you'd like ;) It's not on right now, because PBB is in PST. But around 4PM EST it'll be up.

Yep, like MattJ said that was me. I upload my matches with VGC 2010 rules whenever I get the chance. Glad to see someone watches them. http://www.youtube.com/user/MalicexBadIntent is the channel if anyone wants to see a little of what's out there.

I'm not one to talk about specific strategies on forums, but I do highly suggest that anyone who wants real practice get a copy of PBR. Most of the American players aren't that great, but there are loads of great Japanese VGC battlers on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)