Pokemon VGC 2010 DATES / rules announced for the US!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you team lacks Protect. Thunder Wave on Groudon? I like your creativeness but the VGC is one battle so taking this risk may be too big. Groudon should have Rockslide and even posibly protect. For Ho-oh light screen only cuts attacks by 25% I think. Metal Sound isn't worth using. Use like Signal Beam on Zapdos. Night Slash won't be worth using then so carry fakeout. Those are the changes I would do if that were my team.

I haven't seen Taunt on any Mewtwos. Is it safe to say that Mewtwo hugely prefers his widespread OHKO coverage over wasting a turn on Taunting something he could kill anyway?
Wait, what serious VGC threat does Mewtwo OHKO? I haven't encountered one without having to use Specs or SelfDestruct. Unless your partner can one shot Kyogre, it's dead weight.

Well, I haven't been getting much help at the RMT threads, and since everyone is just posting teams here anyway, I thought I'd have a go with my revised team. Feel free to put a bullet in my foot:

Leads:

Palkia@The berry that weakens SE attacks. The name slipped my mind.
Pressure
Timid/Modest, whichever I manage to get.
252 S Atk/ 252 Spd/ 6 HP
- Protect
- Fire Blast
- Thunder
- Spacial Rend

After I decided on this Palkia, I realized that it's pretty much exactly like the RD one described on Skarmbliss, sans the water moves. Protect is obvious, and I'm very partial to double protecting on the first turn unless I know for certain that I don't have to. Fire Blast and Thunder are for working in the Sun/Rain respectively should I meet lead Groudons and Kyogres. Kyogre seems more likely, so I'm not all that worried about having a move to take down the don. Spacial Rend for crazy stab and lead Giras, who while are uncommon, should not be overlooked. Thunder is also for Lugia and Ho-oh, cause I'm cool with risking a huge miss.

I think my main concern with him is other Palkia, whether or not they end up faster with Spacial Rend or Draco Meteor. I know they'll basically all run 252 spd, and I'm not sure what to do about it.

Weavile@ Life Orb
Pressure
Impish
252 S Atk/ 252 spd/ 6 HP
- Protect
- Ice Shard
- Fake Out
- Night Slash

Mmmm, Weavile. He's pretty boss if he doesn't die on the first turn. Anyway, protect is for the above and survivability. He is also fairly safe under hail should I encounter lead Obamas, and he doesn't care about Rain. Sun weakens Ice shard though, but that's about it. This is actually very self explanatory, methinks. I just don't know if I should have Focus Sash over Life Orb. Is damage more important than lasting another turn? I risk having a broken sash from Fake Out Ludicolo in the rain, so I'm not sure. Kingdra is also a bastard, but I have yet to see a lead one. He goes down with Spacial Rend anyway.

Double Pressure FTW.

Ludicolo@ Leftovers
Swift Swim
Modest
252 S atk/ 196 Spd/ 60 HP
- Protect
- Hydropump
- Grass Knot
- Ice Beam

Essentially a modified -for- doubles offensive rain ludicolo. If rain is up, it's all good, and if I can't get him in on rain, then I hope those speed EVs get some use. Hydropump can OHKO things like Metagross, and basically almost everything that doesn't resist. I probably could have gone for surf and accuracy, but it's base attack power goes down with more than one opponent. Grass Knot is lovely and can kill late game Ogres and Dons if it has to, and Ice Beam for Dragons that Weavile can't deal with before he dies. I always hope I can switch him in on Rain so I don't have to set it up myself, but we can't always get what we want.

He doesn't like Toxicroak, really, but hopefully I can take care of any I see before he comes out.

Giratina@ Lum berry????
Bold
Pressure
248 HP/ 248 Def/ 12 Sp Atk
- Protect
- Rain Dance
- Dragon Pulse
- Shadow Ball

Yeah, this is pretty much half of the Great Wall Gira, but I'd love some heavy background bulk that isn't based on Sp Atk and Speed alone. Originally I wanted something that could cancel out TR, but that wasn't working out so I hope he can work OK should TR pop up. I can't really do anything besides outlast it with this team.

I really don't know about lum berry, but I don't want him falling to status ailment or anything. Okay okay okay, the Rain Dance factor. If I get a chance to set it up, then I will because it will help me infinitely. I'm hoping that I can rip some mean stab off with my only two attacking moves, even without CM or any sort of boost. I'm a bit worried if I end up with Obama late game, but chances are that Ludicolo would take him down with Hydro Pump first if it hits. I guess this whole idea is a bit shaky, but I think it will be really effective if I hit late game weather.

I just have to hope to god that I take out any Rayquaza before they whittle me down to my two back mates.

Is protect really necessary, do you think? He has explosion immunity already, and other double hitter moves don't do much. I guess if I see a SE attack coming, the it'd be useful, but I can't help but think I'm missing something important.

Any help would be appreciated, feel free to rip my team apart and spit it back out on my foot should it suit you. Thanks in advance.

Here's my current RMT. I think one or two people have seen it, so I figured I'd post it up for those that haven't.

----------------------------------

Lugia w/ Leftovers
Timid
Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 64 SpecDef / 192 Speed
-Substitute
-Ice Beam
-Hydro Pump
-Aeroblast

My Sub Lugia. Lugia's main strategy here is to sub up and start dealing damage. That's essentially it. With ridiculous defenses and good HP to boot, breaking the sub will definitely be a challenge for opponents, allowing Lugia to hide behind it as long as possible. First, since I won't spend my time subbing three to four times a match, instead of being precise, I just dumped 252 EVs in HP. 192 Speed will outrun a good amount of Ubers running speed+ natures, while some Special Defense EVs bolsters its naturally strong SpecDef stat even more.

Other than sub, first comes Ice Beam. This is pretty standard to deal with a good amount of threats. Since I cannot waste time hoping that moves like Blizzard aren't avoided, the good accuracy with Ice Beam insures damage being dealt and I can rely on it.

Then is Hydro Pump. This is another powerful attack, but situational, really if it comes down to a Sunny Day team rocking Groudon or things like Tyranitar or Heatran (especially since Tyranitar may run Stone Edge/Rock Slide, which will kill Lugia).

Finally, Aeroblast. While it doesn't have the best coverage, it is a great STAB and can take out annoying Ludicolos and opposing Abomasnows and the like. Plus it sounds cool.

Weavile w/ Focus Sash
Jolly
Pressure
EVs: 252 Speed / 252 Atk / 4 HP
-Fake Out
-Brick Break
-Night Slash
-Ice Shard

Next is Weavile. Weavile is my Fake Out user to help Lugia get that sub up in the first round. Focus Sash is in there just in case he gets nailed in an offensive push early on. From that point, he'll either stay out to continue doing damage or switch out to be a revenge killer later. Brick Break does wonders on Dialga, while Night Slash is a great STAB with some criticals behind it. Finally, Ice Shard comes in as priority with STAB just to balance it out.

Weavile's main function is really that first round support followed by whatever gap it can fill later on in the match. I don't expect Weavile to be around too long once its out on the field, so it's main goal is to at least take something with it before it goes down.

Mewtwo w/ Life Orb
Modest
Pressure
EVs: 252 Speed / 252 SpecAtk / 4 HP
-Aura Sphere
-Protect
-Grass Knot
-Blizzard

Mewtwo is my first of two Pokemon in the back, rocking Life Orb for some more damage. This Mewtwo is built to do as much damage as possible with full EVs in Special Attack, a Modest nature and the aforementioned Life Orb. He will pull no punches.

First is Aura Sphere. Dialga hates it, as do others. 90 Base Power and perfect accuracy makes it a solid move. Protect follows, allowing Mewtwo to survive some key situations if need be and just being needed in many positions in VGC Doubles. Of course, anyone willing to kill it with Explosion will meet the wall of protection it creates and Mewtwo gets more time to wreck havoc.

Third is Grass Knot. Considering a lot of Ubers are heavy, well, this just makes sense, but it is mainly for Kyogre because of how common it is. Let's just say that Kyogre won't be around too long with Mewtwo on the field.

Finally is Blizzard. Even though opposing Pokemon avoiding it randomly can be a killer both in the game and motivationally, emotionally, etc, when it does come through, it's pretty epic. Hits both opposing Pokemon, can do great amounts of damage and just overall works very well with Mewtwo in doubles.

Overall, Mewtwo is all about speed and power, but mostly power. Timid Mewtwo's will be outrunning it, but Weavile is always there to lend a hand, as well as Lugia to take hits. That extra power can really come in handy when you truly need something to go down.

Abomasnow w/ Lum Berry
Hasty
Snow Warning
EVs: 140 Atk / 116 SpecAtk / 252 HP
-Blizzard
-Earthquake
-Shadow Ball
-Icy Wind

Finally, the last of my backups, Abomasnow. Originally, this was a choice scarf set, but I went against it because of the fact that choice can really screw me over in doubles. So, I put the 252 remaining EVs from speed to HP and went from there. Watch out Trick Room, Obama knows whats up.

First is Blizzard. Like said before, it's strong, has good coverage and hits both opponents. In Obama's case, it gets STAB, which is also nice. Oh, and did I mention, Obama makes hail come about. That's nifty.

Second is Earthquake. I mean, who doesn't love Earthquake? Great coverage, deals great amounts of damage and works well with my team, save for Weavile (though I don't think I'll ever truly be in a position with Weavile and Abomasnow in the same situation with Obama using EQ).

Third is Shadow Ball. This was originally going on Mewtwo until I moved this to Obama in favor of Aura Sphere on Mewtwo. A strong attack to deal with any pesky Psychic types and all of that.

Finally, Icy Wind. I've seen this been used very effectively in doubles and it could come in handy. With the bit of damage it does deal, it drops the opponents speed by one stage, which could definitely be a key to success, possibly helping my Mewtwo outrun any max speed Timid Mewtwo's and all of that. It may be situational, but it could come in handy.

Not in doubles.

Can anyone give me a link to download netbattle 1.1.1 the skarmbliss server won't let me play and the only version i can find on the official site is 1.1.0
I need netbattle, too, somebody get that damn link.

And wow, what doesn't get knocked down in Doubles? Oh well, the screens could've been way too broken.

oh, didn't know that. thanks.
looking at the videos online, it really looks like a weather and buffs focused format still. I need to think up a team for it now.

Here's a Nice, Cliche Message

Rate my not-quite-but-almost-done team for VGCs?:

Swampert@ Sitrus Berry
Torrent
Quiet
EV's unknown
-Toxic
-Ice Beam
-Surf
-Earthquake

Zapdos@?
Pressure
Mild
252sp.att/106sp.def/152spd
-Fly/?
-AncientPower/?
-Charge/Rain Dance
-Thunderbolt/Thunder

Charizard@?
Blaze
Mild
154att/252sp.att/154spd
-Flamethrower
-Shadow Claw
-Dragon Pulse/Outrage?
-Dig/Earthquake?

Snorlax @Leftovers/Sitrus Berry
Thick Fat
Adamant
252Hp/152att/108sp.def
-Belly Drum
-Body Slam
-Earthquake
-Fire Punch

Metagross@ Iron Ball
Clear Body
Adamant
252att/100def/100sp.def/58spd
-Earthquake
-Bullet Punch
-Trick
-Zen Headbutt

Gallade@ Toxic Orb
Steadfast
Adamant
252att/104sp.def/154spd
-Facade
-Poison Jab
-Stone Edge
-Psycho Cut

Please do not flame Charizard (hehehe...flame Charizard...okay, its not that funny...), or Zapdos. I just want some final opinions on stratagies, item options, and possible replacements for movesets. Yes, that Swamptert was my Emerald game's and it was before I learned how to EV, do not flame it for me raising it 'naturally'. Please look over my team!

First, you know you're allowed to use ubers, right? That means you (and your opponents) are free to use Mewtwo, Lugia, Ho-oh, Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina. Only two of those pokemon per battle though.
Second, I'd put Protect on some, if not all of your pokemon, to keep enemy Selfdestruct/Explosion users from getting easy KOs and to punish opponents who predictably double target one of your pokemon. That's just a general strategy in VGC.

Here's my current RMT. I think one or two people have seen it, so I figured I'd post it up for those that haven't.

----------------------------------

Lugia w/ Leftovers
Timid
Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 64 SpecDef / 192 Speed
-Substitute
-Ice Beam
-Hydro Pump
-Aeroblast

My Sub Lugia. Lugia's main strategy here is to sub up and start dealing damage. That's essentially it. With ridiculous defenses and good HP to boot, breaking the sub will definitely be a challenge for opponents, allowing Lugia to hide behind it as long as possible. First, since I won't spend my time subbing three to four times a match, instead of being precise, I just dumped 252 EVs in HP. 192 Speed will outrun a good amount of Ubers running speed+ natures, while some Special Defense EVs bolsters its naturally strong SpecDef stat even more.

Other than sub, first comes Ice Beam. This is pretty standard to deal with a good amount of threats. Since I cannot waste time hoping that moves like Blizzard aren't avoided, the good accuracy with Ice Beam insures damage being dealt and I can rely on it.

Then is Hydro Pump. This is another powerful attack, but situational, really if it comes down to a Sunny Day team rocking Groudon or things like Tyranitar or Heatran (especially since Tyranitar may run Stone Edge/Rock Slide, which will kill Lugia).

Finally, Aeroblast. While it doesn't have the best coverage, it is a great STAB and can take out annoying Ludicolos and opposing Abomasnows and the like. Plus it sounds cool.

Weavile w/ Focus Sash
Jolly
Pressure
EVs: 252 Speed / 252 Atk / 4 HP
-Fake Out
-Brick Break
-Night Slash
-Ice Shard

Next is Weavile. Weavile is my Fake Out user to help Lugia get that sub up in the first round. Focus Sash is in there just in case he gets nailed in an offensive push early on. From that point, he'll either stay out to continue doing damage or switch out to be a revenge killer later. Brick Break does wonders on Dialga, while Night Slash is a great STAB with some criticals behind it. Finally, Ice Shard comes in as priority with STAB just to balance it out.

Weavile's main function is really that first round support followed by whatever gap it can fill later on in the match. I don't expect Weavile to be around too long once its out on the field, so it's main goal is to at least take something with it before it goes down.

Mewtwo w/ Life Orb
Modest
Pressure
EVs: 252 Speed / 252 SpecAtk / 4 HP
-Aura Sphere
-Protect
-Grass Knot
-Blizzard

Mewtwo is my first of two Pokemon in the back, rocking Life Orb for some more damage. This Mewtwo is built to do as much damage as possible with full EVs in Special Attack, a Modest nature and the aforementioned Life Orb. He will pull no punches.

First is Aura Sphere. Dialga hates it, as do others. 90 Base Power and perfect accuracy makes it a solid move. Protect follows, allowing Mewtwo to survive some key situations if need be and just being needed in many positions in VGC Doubles. Of course, anyone willing to kill it with Explosion will meet the wall of protection it creates and Mewtwo gets more time to wreck havoc.

Third is Grass Knot. Considering a lot of Ubers are heavy, well, this just makes sense, but it is mainly for Kyogre because of how common it is. Let's just say that Kyogre won't be around too long with Mewtwo on the field.

Finally is Blizzard. Even though opposing Pokemon avoiding it randomly can be a killer both in the game and motivationally, emotionally, etc, when it does come through, it's pretty epic. Hits both opposing Pokemon, can do great amounts of damage and just overall works very well with Mewtwo in doubles.

Overall, Mewtwo is all about speed and power, but mostly power. Timid Mewtwo's will be outrunning it, but Weavile is always there to lend a hand, as well as Lugia to take hits. That extra power can really come in handy when you truly need something to go down.

Abomasnow w/ Lum Berry
Hasty
Snow Warning
EVs: 140 Atk / 116 SpecAtk / 252 HP
-Blizzard
-Earthquake
-Shadow Ball
-Icy Wind

Finally, the last of my backups, Abomasnow. Originally, this was a choice scarf set, but I went against it because of the fact that choice can really screw me over in doubles. So, I put the 252 remaining EVs from speed to HP and went from there. Watch out Trick Room, Obama knows whats up.

First is Blizzard. Like said before, it's strong, has good coverage and hits both opponents. In Obama's case, it gets STAB, which is also nice. Oh, and did I mention, Obama makes hail come about. That's nifty.

Second is Earthquake. I mean, who doesn't love Earthquake? Great coverage, deals great amounts of damage and works well with my team, save for Weavile (though I don't think I'll ever truly be in a position with Weavile and Abomasnow in the same situation with Obama using EQ).

Third is Shadow Ball. This was originally going on Mewtwo until I moved this to Obama in favor of Aura Sphere on Mewtwo. A strong attack to deal with any pesky Psychic types and all of that.

Finally, Icy Wind. I've seen this been used very effectively in doubles and it could come in handy. With the bit of damage it does deal, it drops the opponents speed by one stage, which could definitely be a key to success, possibly helping my Mewtwo outrun any max speed Timid Mewtwo's and all of that. It may be situational, but it could come in handy.

(................)
I'm not too experienced with doubles but it looks like you have a serious Metagross weakness.

Abomasnow might benefit froma Quiet nature with 19 speed IVs since it isn't outspeeding shit even with Icy Wind, and you might as well make sure you "underspeed" Tyranitar and Hippowdon (19 speed IVs gets outrun by Hippowdon) so your Hail will get priority.

Speaking of Abomasnow and Mewtwo, I was wondering how well the two would do as a lead. Abomasnow guarentees hail and Mewtwo just fucks shit up on turn one, blowing up when needed. Abomasnow deals heavy damage to all other weather users. Mewtwo will OHKO both Groudon and Tyranitar with Timid LO Grass Knot in the hail but will drop either with Blizzard / Aura Sphere (Groudon will not be KOed by Blizzard + Ice Shard unless Abomasnow runs Life Orb and maxes Attack, not really a good thing, although Hail will finish it off almost all the time)

So like..

Mewtwo @ Life Orb
Timid (or Hasty / Naive)
252 Speed / 252 Special Attack / 4 Attack

Blizzard
Aura Sphere
Protect
Selfdestruct

Abomasnow @ Focus Sash
Quiet
252 HP / 252 Special Attack / 4 Attack

Blizzard
Earthquake
Ice Shard
Grass Knot

Not sure what the other two members would be..

I don't quite see how many threats Aura Sphere is going to hit. There's just Dialga and Heatran, if someone's actually using it. Dialga doesn't resist Blizzard so, and I'm too lazy to calculate this, dual-Blizzard will either kill it or leave a massive dent in it, as well as hitting its partner.

Blizzard will not kill it. Aura Sphere would hit Dialga, Heatran, Tyranitar, Weavile and opposing Abomasnow.. maybe thats it.

Grass Knot will OHKO all of the weather pokes in hail, but leave Mewtwo with terrible type coverage.

Rate my not-quite-but-almost-done team for VGCs?:

Fixes in Bold:
Swampert@ Rindo Berry
Torrent
Quiet
EV's
-Protect
-Ice Beam/Hydro Pump
-Low Kick
-Earth Power

Ho-oh@ Passho Berry/Charti Berry
Pressure
Adamant/Jolly
EV's
-Sacred Fire
-Brave Bird
-Protect
-Earthquake

Zapdos@ Lum Berry
Pressure
Timid
252sp.att/106sp.def/152spd
-Thunderbolt/Thunder/
-Hidden Power Grass/Ice (High Power Recommended)
-Detect
-Roost/Discharge

Lugia@ Lum Berry/Leftovers
Pressure
Bold/Timid
212 HP/144 Def/154 Spe
-Roost/Recover
-Aeroblast
-Calm Mind
-Earth Power/Hydro Pump if necessary

Metagross@ Choice Scarf
Clear Body
Adamant
252att/144HP/114 Sp.Def
-Earthquake
-Bullet Punch
-Trick
-Explosion/Meteor Mash

Hariyama@ Flame Orb
Guts
Adamant
252 Atk/212 HP/46 Sp.Def
-Low Kick
-Fake Out
-Stone Edge
-Close Combat
Notes:
First off, this seems like a good idea...if the rules were the same as '09. Sitrus Berry seems a little odd, and some Pokemon are simply better off replaced. This is at least a start in improvement.

Blizzard will not kill it. Aura Sphere would hit Dialga, Heatran, Tyranitar, Weavile and opposing Abomasnow.. maybe thats it.

Grass Knot will OHKO all of the weather pokes in hail, but leave Mewtwo with terrible type coverage.
Groudon and Kyogre alone make Grass Knot worth running. Aura Sphere seems to be it, though. So, I think we can concluded that all Mewtwos will basically be Protect/Selfdestruct/Aura Sphere/Grass Knot, and ones paired up with Obama will run Blizzard over Grass Knot, which is handled by him.

well, unless your mouse is broken, that link is defintiely accessible. I downloaded the installer yesterday before I posted to make sure it worked. ;(
Then I guess it's just not working for me T________T

Anyone up to some battles to test some vgc teams on NBS? How long do you think it'll be untill the locations are annouced?
... If I could download it... It obviously doesn't want Team Galactic to take it over... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)