Pokemon you didn't give enough credit

Now adding Ambipom to my list. Fake Out (40 bp)+STAB+Technician+Silk Scarf is a lot more free damage than you originally think. Plus, predicting a switch and using U-Turn is almost broken. You get to damage, and see what your opponent sends out, while you get a free swtich to something that should be able to easily counter/set up.

CSpecs Shaymin. It's easy to lol at the little green blob at first, but STAB Seed Flare after a SpDef drop HURTS. Insanely small movepool really brings it down, but it has all it needs for the most part. NaturalRest is nasty too.

Can't forget Mesprit. That little pink pixie does so much, yet asks for so little ;_;

Can't forget Mesprit. That little pink pixie does so much, yet asks for so little ;_;
Definitely true. I used to use Mesprit quite a bit, and I realized it's awesome. It takes hits like Jesus. Once it survived a CBTar Crunch after ss damage. Of course you wouldn't leave it on on Tar, but that's frighetning.

105 def/s.def/atk/s.atk is awesome. The hp/speed leave a lot to be desired though.

Ninjask is saving my ass in my team a lot. Even after Stealth Rocks are laid down, I can baton pass speed to my other pokemon and kill a few times (Protect -> Baton Pass). It can hurt Weavile (I OHKOed with Swords Dance + X-Scizzor) and out speed even Choice Scarfed threats like Starmie (After a turn of "protect") and hit for Super Effective Damage.

I was expecting it more of the baton passer that doesn't do anything, but it saved my team from a Tail-Glow Manaphy (being the last pokemon on my team faster than it... and taking away the last 1%/2% it had), set up numerous sweeps with my Garchomp and still comes in late game to do that 5% damage necessary to kill someone.

Lets see... I seriously underestimated the damage Togekiss + Nasty Plot Air Slash with sky plate does... though the paraflinch strategy seems to make a lot of things go down to plain old luck. I guess I need all the chances to line up for a win through paraflinch, but at least I know on average the advantage is mine. :-) Even then, Air Slash alone does a ton of damage.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
Another Pokemon I've underestimated is Yanmega. I always thought it was a Pokemon with mediocre Defenses and average attacking ability, until I got owned by one in the Battle Tower. Speed Boost is a broken ability...

361 max SpAtk+STAB Bug Buzz and Air Slash is surprisingly powerful. Bug Buzz can 2HKO (Possibly OHKO, havn't run damage calcs yet) Cresselia unless they're focused on SpDef.

Another Pokemon I've underestimated is Yanmega. I always thought it was a Pokemon with mediocre Defenses and average attacking ability, until I got owned by one in the Battle Tower. Speed Boost is a broken ability...

Methinks it will see more use because of its ubiquity in Shoddy Battle. . .

One I sorta underestimated was Staraptor. I liked him, and had him on my team, but I never expected a CB Close Combat to OHKO a Blissey. And CB Brave Bird's been a nice weapon against those who switch from Blissey to Gengar when I switch my raptor in - OHKOs them too.

My favorite one was when I led with Staraptor and my opponent led with Alakazam. I guess he expected me to switch, cause he used CM, and I pursuited for a OHKO. I had a nice evil laugh after that one. ^_^

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I now have to add Ambipom to the list, it has singlehandedly owned for me in some games with Technicianed Fake Outs.

I pulled out a Muk for use on PBR random Wifi tonight and I must say I was impressed. It honestly didn't do much except explode or Shadow Sneak to finish off anything that survived the previous pokemon with low health, but the ~45 second pause from every opponent when I sent it out was priceless.

Although I gave some credit to Lucario, I never realized his full potential until I battled with him. He sure does tear up a lot of things as a special sweeper, and he is a great revenge killer as well. Plus, it is always awesome to get a speed boost from Steadfast when I anticipate a Fake Out from a Ambipom

Definitely Jolteon. It surprised me with the ability to set up Subs and OHKO Specsmence with Hidden Power Ice. It's speed is huge. But there's one thing that I haven't seen comments about: Jolteon's ability. I'm testing out a team with Jolteon / Gyarados / Azelf / Weavile / Dusknoir / Tangrowth. The main objective is to pass speed and Substitute so Azelf can set up and destroy everything. Gyarados switches out into Jolteon like it does with Electivire, but this time, giving his Electric friend some free Substitutes. Weavile comes as a Revenge Killer (I can't think of a team without it. =O ) and Tangrowth / Dusknoir as walls. It's looks awesome in paper, let's see if it actually works.

No boy cares, but what about girls? haha, just kidding.

Gastrodon sticks out in my mind right now. When I fought one online, I was surprised at how little damage it was taking from my regular effective attacks (but Porygon-Z after some Nasty Plotting managed to KO easy :P). It stats seem relatively subpar, but it still managed to piss me off with toxic and recover.
That reminds me of my somewhat gimmicky gastrodon set
Mirror Coat
Counter
Toxic
Recover

That reminds me of my somewhat gimmicky gastrodon set
Mirror Coat
Counter
Toxic
Recover
Taunt Gyarados rapes that set to pieces while he sets up on you

Not only that, in UU it is easy set up fodder for stuff like Drifblim who can Sub against Toxic

Aren't Counter and Mirror Coat considered "attacks"?

Oh BTW, I now join the people who are respecting Relicanth and its Head Smash. Just fought one recently.

Robo Mike said:
Aren't Counter and Mirror Coat considered "attacks"?
Gyarados will Dragon Dance while you are Taunted, to the point where Waterfall can OHKO. Gyarados also knows that a non-Stone Edge Gastrodon can't do anything to it, so he can set up unscathed

Relicanth is a great pokemon, in fact dangerous with CB Head Smash and Double Hit

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Yeah Easton, but Taunt isn't Mean Look. Gastrodon will just switch if it anticipates DD's, and Gyara will end up Taunting something that doesn't give a damn.

Plus, it is always awesome to get a speed boost from Steadfast when I anticipate a Fake Out from a Ambipom
I'm confused here. I've never used Steadfast, but if you switched into the Fake Out I'm pretty sure it wouldn't activate because you don't have a turn with which to flinch in. And nobody with a brain would Fake Out Lucario, so how exactly do you activate from an Ambipom?

Oops, miswording there. I was confused since I remember once a opponent Ambipom once FO'd my Lucario and it got a 1 Stage Boost. Nevermind about that

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
Yeah Easton, but Taunt isn't Mean Look. Gastrodon will just switch if it anticipates DD's, and Gyara will end up Taunting something that doesn't give a damn.
He never said or implied that Taunt was like Mean Look. By forcing Gastrodon to switch out or die, Gyarados has technically beaten Gastrodon.

just test one out and I've gotta say...
Tangrowth kicks ass!

I always though thanks to his bad special D he was awful, but boy was I wrong!

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Well, oh GreatSage, he did say:

Gyarados will Dragon Dance while you are Taunted, to the point where Waterfall can OHKO.
Now on a typical Bulky Gyara VS typical Gastrodon that requires the dragon to DD 3 times for a guaranteed KO. Now what on Earth would force Gastrodon to stay in and Counter while Gyara DD's 3 times? Well, I can only think of one thing and that's a trapping move. Hence the Mean Look comparison.

No problem about the Fake Out confusion either. Sure woulda been cool if it did activate on a switch! Would be a way to counter that damn irritating monkey.

And as for the original thread question, I'm gonna say Empoleon. I thought the weakness to two of the most common moves on the game would screw him over, but whilst using him, it seems he can switch into damn near any move on the game, take minimal damage and dish out powerful Water/Ice/Grass moves from 111 SPA. Plus some great support moves and an ever-useful ability and I have a new favourite. ^_^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)