Predictions, Skill, and Deceit: Battle of Smogon's Finest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey smogon, it’s Kidogo and Lavos Spawn here with a warstory. This was a battle we had recently as lavos tested my mettle for US west, and although we didn't initially expect much, it turned out to be one of the most enjoyable, challenging, and intense matches either of us had ever had. So without further ado, we bring you: Predictions, Skill, and Deceit: Battle of Smogon’s Finest!

Kidogo joined.
Lavos Spawn joined.
Format:
OU
Evasion Abilities Clause: Evasion abilities are banned
Sleep Clause Mod: Limit one foe put to sleep
Species Clause: Limit one of each Pokemon
OHKO Clause: OHKO moves are banned
Moody Clause: Moody is banned
Evasion Moves Clause: Evasion moves are banned
HP Percentage Mod: HP is reported as percentages
Kidogo's team:

Lavos Spawn's team:

Kidogo: hmm
Lavos Spawn: let us Go
Lavos Spawn: :]
Kidogo: ezwin imo

So the match begins and, although I initially feel a bit nervous given who my opponent is, I actually quickly begin to think otherwise. Looking at his team, I actually think I have a great match-up—donphan easily comes in on aero to spin and shrugs off anything it can do, chansey handles rotom, scizor is checked by tales, heatran, and donphan, kingdra could be annoying if it has RD since I’ll have to tales alive but chansey walls special even under rain and cress easily beats physical versions, landy gets walled by chansey if SF and cress no matter what, and cloyster (lol) gets OHKOed/burned by tales, walled by chansey unless boosted, walled by cress even when boosted, and walled/OHKOed by tran even when boosted. Hmm. I’ll just lead with tales since it matches up well vs half his team and gets sun up at the beginning, which should be helpful.

Little did I know what a match awaited me…

Battle between Kidogo and Lavos Spawn started!
Go! Ninetales!
Lavos Spawn sent out Shallows Low (Cloyster)!
Ninetales's Drought intensified the sun's rays!

VS

So he sends out cloyster. Well OK, I was sorta expecting aero, but this is great for me. My choices are WoW and fthrower, and I run enough speed that I’ll definitely go first. Although fthrower seems like the better option since it OHKOs in sun, my bet is that he’s sashed since he’s out first turn, so I’ll WoW, avoiding even a 2hko from rock blast, and then kill next turn. Definitely off to a good start.

Turn 1

Ninetales used Will-O-Wisp!
The foe's Shallows Low avoided the attack!
The foe's Shallows Low used Rock Blast!
A critical hit! It's super effective! Ninetales lost 39.0% of its health!
It's super effective! Ninetales lost 17.8% of its health!
It's super effective! Ninetales lost 16.6% of its health!
It's super effective! Ninetales lost 16.0% of its health!
It's super effective! Ninetales lost 10.6% of its health!
Hit 5 time(s)!
Ninetales fainted!
Lavos Spawn: HO
Lavos Spawn: is lum tho
Kidogo: oh
Kidogo: well fine then
Kidogo: be like that
Go! Heatran!

(fainted)
-->
VS

Well that’s annoying. WoW misses, although if he did have lum that didn't really matter (and I can’t imagine why he’d lie now). What did hurt was that he critted me, since now I don’t get a second shot. Oh well, I’m not worried about cloyster, and this gives me a chance to send out heatran, who has a trapper set. While I don’t need its trapping abilities atm, it hits really hard with a set of sunny day / magma storm / solarbeam / earth power, and can basically OHKO/2HKO his entire team. I don’t think lavos was lying, so there’s no need to use magma storm in case of a sash, so I’ll just solarbeam as it hits everything on his team hard (except for scizor, but who would switch scizor in on heatran).

Turn 2

Lavos Spawn withdrew Shallows Low (Cloyster)!
Lavos Spawn sent out Weapon (Aerodactyl)!
The foe's Weapon's Unnerve makes p1: Kidogo's team too nervous to eat Berries!
Heatran used SolarBeam!
Heatran absorbed light!
The foe's Weapon lost 57.1% of its health!

VS
-->

Not bad, I expected a bit more damage but no biggie, my switch this turn is obvious.

Turn 3

Heatran, come back!
Go! Donphan!
The foe's Weapon used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around your team!

-->
(Stealth Rocks) VS

As planned, donphan comes in to wall anything aero can throw at it (barring specs fire blast n.n) and to spin away those rocks. I’m feeling pretty solid at this point, rocks are usually a huge concern and its good to know that I can keep them off the field.

Turn 4

Lavos Spawn withdrew Weapon (Aerodactyl)!
Lavos Spawn sent out Shallows Low (Cloyster)!
Donphan used Rapid Spin!
The foe's Shallows Low lost 5.0% of its health!
The pointed stones disappeared from around your team!

VS
-->

Yep, no more rocks and the clam comes back in. Cresselia isn’t even 2HKOed by +2 icicle spear without LO (and I know it’s lum), so my switch is obvious.
Turn 5

Donphan, come back!
Go! Cresselia!
The foe's Shallows Low used Shell Smash!
The foe's Shallows Low's Attack sharply rose!
The foe's Shallows Low's Special Attack sharply rose!
The foe's Shallows Low's Speed sharply rose!
The foe's Shallows Low's Defense fell!
The foe's Shallows Low's Special Defense fell!

-->
VS
(
+2 Atk / -1 Def / +2 SpA / -1 SpD / +2 Spe)

It’s a bit annoying that I can’t twave it this turn since it still has lum, but psychic should easily 2HKO and maybe even OHKO given the def drops and cloyster’s horrible SpD. Lol cloyster has actually managed to be minorly irritating, which is much more than I expected.

Turn 6

Lavos Spawn: kacaw
cavani7 joined.
The foe's Shallows Low used Icicle Spear!
Cresselia lost 9.5% of its health!
Cresselia lost 9.7% of its health!
A critical hit! Cresselia lost 19.6% of its health!
Cresselia lost 10.1% of its health!
Cresselia lost 10.4% of its health!
Hit 5 time(s)!
Cresselia flinched and couldn't move!
Cresselia restored HP using its Leftovers!
Lavos Spawn: time to Own
Lavos Spawn: as you realise
Lavos Spawn: i lied
Kidogo: no way
Lavos Spawn: :)
Most Haxxed joined.
Kidogo: rofl king's rock?
Lavos Spawn: this is how all your wcop games will go
Lavos Spawn: the rock
Lavos Spawn: of KINGS

VS
(

Well I found out a couple important things this turn. First, lavos is a dirty liar. Second, his cloyster is actually holding a king’s rock, which just makes me more mad about the WoW miss before. Third, he flinched my cresselia (only a 41% chance right?). And fourth, he also critted me, so cress is now 2HKOed unless he gets low damage rolls. Well, I’ll just moonlight in case he gets low rolls and send in heatran after if not, lol this is kinda ridiculous that a cloyster of all things managed to kill two of my mons.

Turn 7

Cresselia lost 9.7% of its health!
Cresselia lost 10.4% of its health!
Cresselia lost 10.1% of its health!
Cresselia lost 11.0% of its health!
Cresselia lost 5.4% of its health!
Hit 5 time(s)!
Cresselia fainted!
Kidogo: AND you crit me
Go! Heatran!
Same reasoning as before, solarbeam is the best option (and I know for sure now that he doesn't have sash lol).

(fainted) -->
VS
(

Turn 8

Lavos Spawn: i used this team in last wcop lol
Lavos Spawn: 3-0
Lavos Spawn: ez
Lavos Spawn: and you still win
The foe's Shallows Low used Rock Blast!
A critical hit! Heatran lost 26.9% of its health!
Lol, another crit, I’m still fine though, even if he does 15% per hit (15%*4+27% = 87%, I almost have room for another crit even lol)
Heatran lost 13.9% of its health!
A critical hit! Heatran lost 30.2% of its health!
Heatran lost 13.9% of its health!
Heatran lost 14.8% of its health!
Hit 5 time(s)!
Wow TWO crits and heatran hangs on with 1%, ready to finish that clam!
Heatran flinched and couldn't move!
Heatran restored HP using its Leftovers!
Lavos Spawn: ha
Lavos Spawn: EZ 6-0
Kidogo: WTF

VS
(

OK this is just getting crazy. He gets two crits, and I still survive, and then ANOTHER flinch? Only problem is, now even after I kill cloyster, I’ll be hard-pressed to beat the rest of his team with only three mons. I might have to get serious here, use my final form…but back on topic, It’ll basically be down to my three mons vs his six—it just might be possible!

Turn 9

It's not very effective... Heatran lost 5.2% of its health!
It's not very effective... Heatran lost 1.2% of its health!
Hit 2 time(s)!
Heatran fainted!
Go! Chansey!

-->
VS
(

So my guess is chansey is barely even 2HKOd by +2 cloy, so I’ll toxic it and then stall the damage with switches and protect, I’ll probably have to sac duggy and maybe go for a double protect. I’m not sure but it just might be possible for chansey + donphan to beat the rest of his team, since together they form a pseudo skarm-bliss core and he doesn't have a good wall-breaker. Alright lavos, it's on!

Turn 10

Chansey lost 14.2% of its health!
Chansey lost 14.7% of its health!
Chansey lost 14.7% of its health!
Chansey lost 13.7% of its health!
Hit 5 time(s)!
Chansey flinched and couldn't move!
Lavos Spawn: lmao
Lavos Spawn: gg
Kidogo: no way

VS
(

^.^ Well.
I don’t even know what to say. I think our reactions p much summed it up lol. Oh god, why does it have to be cloyster…

Turn 11

Chansey lost 15.3% of its health!
Hit 2 time(s)!
Chansey fainted!
Most Haxxed: Kidogo is scwewed
Go! Donphan!

(fainted) -->
VS
(

Wow thanks most haxxed, we hadn’t noticed. And so I am forced to send out the first of the two team member cloyster ACTUALLY WINS against. Maybe donphan can live a hit, with his titanic defense, and KO cloyster in his weakened state? Maybe, just maybe, do I still have a chance?

Turn 12

It's super effective! Donphan lost 22.4% of its health!
It's super effective! Donphan lost 25% of its health!
It's super effective! Donphan lost 25.5% of its health!
It's super effective! Donphan lost 22.4% of its health!
It's super effective! Donphan lost 4.7% of its health!
Hit 5 time(s)!
Donphan fainted!
Kidogo: cloyster weak
ReshiramTest joined.
Kidogo: donphan almsot lives
Go! Dugtrio!

(fainted) -->
VS
(

Worse than the wounds to my body, to my more little mons on-screen, to my chances of getting on US west, is the wound to my pride at having been swept—not just cleaned by, but 6-0 swept—by a CLOYSTER. Just let it end…

Turn 13

cavani7 left.
It's super effective! Dugtrio hung on using its Focus Sash!
Dugtrio lost 99.5% of its health!
It's super effective! Dugtrio lost 0.5% of its health!
Hit 2 time(s)!
Dugtrio fainted!

(fainted) VS
(

Lavos Spawn won the battle!
ReshiramTest: Kidogo 6-0'd?
ReshiramTest: Lavos spawn must be an amazing battler O.O

And with Resh’s profound comment, the battle comes to a close. Though I do think, looking back, there were moments that both I and lavos could have played better, more skillfully, and with more foresight, you know what they say, hindsight is 20/20. I hope you enjoyed this wonderful battle filled with predictions, risks, and difficult plays as much as I did (actually, as much as lavos did), and remember to give it a luvdisc if you want to read more of our gripping, high-level battles!

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
One of the rare few modern war stories were the author doesn't completely feel themselves

A battle between 2 really strong players, I couldn't ask for me 5/5

Smogon's finest indeed

Haha, this was a good read. Nice job! I just wish the commentary differentiated font wise from the battle.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Should've went with Flamethrower, especially if Donphan has Ice Shard - Will-O-Wisp is the worst move in the game.

Why in the world would he switch in Landorus against your Donphan? I know he already lost Rotom-W, but he definitely should've gone to Kingdra since his Scizor was at such low health. Great battle nonetheless! I had no idea what was going to happen next, even up until the end!

ElectivireRocks

Banned deucer.
Nothing more satisfying than getting a 6-0 sweep using the poster child for "noob pokemon" of the current generation (not that I agree with that, Cloyster is lethal if used right).

Also, this is exactly why Cloyster should never run White Herb over something more useful, even if luck-based. 41% chance of hax is still better than 0% chance of doing something useful.

King's Rock Cloyster let's go. Lavos deserved that win just for using it. inb4 Lavos using a Cinccino

10/10

Props:
Aerodactyl for causing high tension in the lead matchup situation
Donphan for its intimidation and defensive pressure
Dugtrio for successfully trapping a Cloyster
Lavos for winning with some ballsy plays but generally making the least risky move

Slops:
Ninetales for not being trained well
Heatran for dog
Kidogo for not training his pokemon well (use lv100 mons in competitive battles imo bigger stats)

That was an amazing battle. You almost won dude! It came so close in the end, and you only lost due to Heatran lacking Splash. I look forward to reading more of your stories.

(10:28:42) +Hikari: luck was that
(10:28:45) +Hikari: supposed to be funny
(10:28:46) +Hikari: or what
(10:29:02) +Luck>Skill: I'm afraid yes
(10:29:54) +Hikari: that's sad
(10:30:24) +Hikari: but idk what is sadder, the OP or the other posts of people trying to be "funny"

Reactions: CTC
Looks like Lavos Spawn values a pokemon battle more than your guys' friendship.
hes like 12 he mustve learned it from some1 else give the kid a break

(10:28:42) +Hikari: luck was that
(10:28:45) +Hikari: supposed to be funny
(10:28:46) +Hikari: or what
(10:29:02) +Luck>Skill: I'm afraid yes
(10:29:54) +Hikari: that's sad
(10:30:24) +Hikari: but idk what is sadder, the OP or the other posts of people trying to be "funny"
fuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)