Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 92 Atk / 224 SAtk / 192 Spd
Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
- U-Turn / Work Up
- Dragon Pulse
- Flamethrower / Focus Blast
- Crunch

Those EVs make Crunch a 2HKO on Blissey, as well as Chansey if using Work Up. The Speed helps it outspeed Adamant Swords Dance Lucario, which is useful as it makes more EVs used for Special Attack.

just a though, it needs plenty of support, such as Thunder Wave, but it's a great late game cleaner in it's own right.

Hyderigon [sic] is, besides Flygon, the only other Dragon-type that is able to go mixed AND switch in easily due to an immunity to (Toxic) Spikes.

Huh? I can't fathom why you would list Flygon and not Salamence. It can certainly go mixed and it too has an immunity to (toxic) spikes. Certainly one of this set's main competitors.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What I meant to say was an impunity to entry hazards, relative to affinities to Stealth Rock damage. But yes, Salamence gives this set a good amount of competition, and the OP needs to emphasize its strengths over Salamence and other particular Dragon-types.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Definitely slash Outrage with Uturn/Crunch. It is where it belongs and I can definitely see it working with EQ/Fire blast, especially to abuse it to the maximum since DM really hit only once.
I agree with Mynism here. The beauty of this set is its ability to lure in and cripple special walls that usually walls this Pokemon. Without Outrage, Hydreigon would have trouble breaking through Chansey, Blissey, and even Gastrodon.
  • Remove U-turn and slash Outrage with Crunch. I would even make Outrage the primary slash, since it achieves the purpose of a wall-breaker much more efficiently than Crunch.
  • Remove Lum Berry and drop Expert Belt into AC; this set needs all the power that it could get
  • Change its Nature to Mild / Rash and mention Hasty / Naive in AC instead OR
  • If you think Hasty / Naive would give it an upper-hand against neutral 100 Spe mons, then give it 164 Spe EVs and dump the rest into Atk / SpA; however, it's usually not safe to assume that Salamence or Volcarona is Adamant or Modest, but I guess it will help in a pinch.
  • Give this Hydreigon 104-120 Atk EVs to have a better chance at 2-shotting Blissey w/o Rocks and Chansey w/ Rocks & 1 layer of Spikes.
Dont hesitate to argue about the suggestions I just made, but it will make this set better, imo.

blunder

the bobby fischer of pokemon
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 25 Championis a defending SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
Hi.

Thunder, I can't really make a decision on this set because you seem pretty unsure and undecided on the set itself. The OP lists options like Lum Berry and Expert Belt, but no specific fixings around these items. By slashing U-turn with Crunch, you are also essentially making your set a duplicate of the standard set on-site. Please solidify your set and be prepared to defend it against offending suggestions.

What I would do is emphasize Hydreigon's strengths over similar Dragons. Hyderigon is, besides Flygon, the only other Dragon-type that is able to go mixed AND switch in easily due to an immunity to (Toxic) Spikes. Because it's commonly known for special attacking, a mixed set can theoretically be a surprise, but please be sure to outline why your should use options like Earthquake and not Earth Power, or even Taunt. Do this, and the ball will be in your court.
Thanks a lot for the input and help on this set. I will be sure to update the set on what you said were the requirements

@Pocket- Thanks a lot for the suggestion as well, and I will work on it

Pocket

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Good start, ThunderBlunder - it needs a little more work though:

Set Comments
  • Change the EV spread to 104 Atk / 240 SpA / 164 Spe. Its selling point is its amazing 125 base SpA - capitalize on it with heavy investment in its SpA.
  • Replace Mild with Hasty Nature
  • De-slash Expert Belt and Lum Berry - this set needs the LO boost. Remove any mention of Expert Belt or Lum Berry under set descriptions or AC. The offensive Hydreigon on-site pulls off Expert Belt better.
  • De-slash Crunch and make it an AC mention; it simply needs Outrage to break through Chansey, Blissey, and Gastrodon. Crunch is cool for doing hefty damage to Jellicent and Reuniclus, but neither of them are safe switch-ins to Hydreigon's Draco Meteor anyways, so the Dark STAB is unnecessary here.
  • Move any mention of Crunch into AC
  • Mention Hydreigon's amazing 125 base SpA as another advantage it has over MixMence, providing a noticeably meatier Draco Meteor
  • Explain that EQ scores an OHKO on Heatran, 2HKO on Jirachi regardless of rain or shine, and 2HKO on TTar
  • Explain that Outrage scores a guarantee 2HKO on Gastrodon and Blissey (after Rocks). Has a very good chance of scoring a 2HKO on Chansey after SR & Spikes (or 2 SR switch-ins)
Additional Comments
  • Remove the mention of U-turn in AC - that's essentially the offensive set on-site
  • AC mention Focus Blast over Earthquake for a sizable chance to OHKO the standard non-Chople Tyranitar after Rocks in exchange for losing an OHKO on Heatran and 2HKO on Wish Jirachi when Raining.
  • AC mention that it can run 192 Spe EVs and 228 Spe EVs to check Jolly Lucario and Jolly Gliscor, respectively, but the drop in its SpA is generally undesirable.
  • Taunt can be run over Outrage to prevent Blissey, Chansey, and Gastrodon from healing, but an outright 2HKO with Outrage after some residual damage is much more preferred. Fire Blast is indispensable.
Teammates and Counters
- Latios and Latias can Outspeed and KO, but Latias should thing before setting up a Calm Mind as a Crunch will do massive Damage.
  • Remove the mention of Crunch; you can mention how Draco Meteor does massive damage even after a CM, scoring an OHKO on Latios and Latias (after Rocks for the latter).
- Terrakion with an Air Baloon can Walk all over this set, Resisting Fire Blast, Getting an Attack Boost From Crunch, and Not being affected by Earthquake. Terrakion can't switch into a Draco Meteor though-
  • Terrakion dies to Draco Meteor, so remove this statement. You can say that Terrakion can come in on a predicted Fire Blast instead (doesn't need Air Balloon to do this).

blunder

is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 25 Championis a defending SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
Pocket: Change the EV spread to 104 HP / 240 SpA / 164 Spe. Its selling point is its amazing 125 base SpA - capitalize on it with heavy investment in its SpA.

Thanks for all the Suggestions Pocket, but what do the 104 HP Evs help Hydreigon with? I think they would be much better added into attack.

I think that if you really want to distiguish this from Salamence, mention that Hydreigon's huge ass movepool means you can tailor the set to take out specific threats for your team. Notable things include Head Smash, U-turn (britscor kinda?), STAB Crunch/Dark Pulse, and Taunt that other Dragon's lack.

Pocket

Sorry, I meant 104 Atk x_x;; Thanks for the clarification, ThunderBlunder

@ThePillsburyDoughBoy: Head Smash is inferior to Hydreigon's main option, so no. U-turn is done better by Hydreigon's other sets, so no. Crunch and Taunt are already mentioned.

Add an AC mention that it could go Mild / Rash for the extra oomph in its special attacks.

Pocket

Double Posting - include Mild in AC, too, not just Rash. Good work, ThunderBlunder :)

QC Approved (1/3)

blunder

Big Chungus Winner
Double Posting - include Mild in AC, too, not just Rash. Good work, ThunderBlunder :)

QC Approved (1/3)
Thanks a lot Pocket! I hope the other QC members like the set as well, and I put Mild in AC. Thanks again, and is there a way to put The QC Approved (1/3) in title, like I've seen some?

Pocket

You can change the title of this thread as follows:

1. Go to your OP
2. Click Edit
3. Click "Go Advanced"
4. Change Title
5. Save Changes

blunder

Big Chungus Winner
Woohooo! Thank you everyone for all your suggestion- now do I just put 3/3 and then wait for GP?

Put it in Copyediting, but keep the QC 3/3 until you write it. Once you are done with writing it, post here, the queue, and put GP 0/2 instead of QC 3/3.

blunder

Big Chungus Winner
I may sound like a noob, but isn't the analysis already written? As on this page?

Err, no it isn't. You're going to have to actually make those bullet points into prose. If you need help looking for something to base that on, try looking at this. You write up the analysis and then get it checked.

Your analysis right now is in skeleton form - just bullet points, etc. It should be formally written, and to the best of your ability. The format should be:

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>here goes everything under the Set Comments heading you have right now.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>You put your points under the Additional Comments header atm here. You also put the things under Teammates & Counters in here as well.</p>

blunder

Big Chungus Winner
Alright thank I now know, I will do this in 2 days as I don't have access to a computer for this time and am using an iPod- thanks again

EDIT: Alright, Will start now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)