Rarely Used (RU) Tier

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep trying to play RU in the Smogon server, but it just keeps putting me back to Dreamworld. Can we not use ANY DR abilities while playing RU?

Yanmega really reminds me of gen 4 Salamence in that it has two amaaaaazing sets that require different approaches to stop. Tinted Lens is much more immediately threatening but for some reason is less common which makes it just impossible to circumvent. I am now a big Moltres fan for this reason- SubRoost in particular is a lot of fun and actually pretty hard to take down, bulky and fast.

EDIT: Prof. Elm, it probably means an ability you're trying to use hasnt been released yet. Which ones are you trying to use?

I keep trying to play RU in the Smogon server, but it just keeps putting me back to Dreamworld. Can we not use ANY DR abilities while playing RU?
When you try to select RU, there should be a message in the chat window telling you which of your Pokemon is carrying an illegal move, ability or item.

Claydol, cryagonal, pineco, and blastouse are the only ones I've ever seen. I don't know how well they all work, though

There's a guy at the top of the ladder using a Stallrein that I really shouldn't have lost to (three crits on his part and a miss from me...). I swear next time I see him I will put hail back in its rightful place. Pretty pissed off right now...

Someone name a few spinners in this tier for me, please.
I really don't want to use Blastoise with my team.
These are all the Pokemon in RU who can learn Rapid Spin (fully evolved ones are bolded):

Squirtle
Wartortle
Blastoise
Sandshrew
Sandslash
Staryu
Pineco
Torkoal
Baltoy
Claydol
Drilbur
Cryogonal
Tentacool
Shellder
Kabuto
Kabutops
Delibird
Tyrogue
Hitmonchan
Hitmonlee

Spinda
Anorith
Armaldo

If you try a White Herb as the item and put yourself up against a physical attacker, Torkoal could probably get two Shell Smashes in. Then it would make a difference.

You're really much better off using other shell smashers, namely gorebyss, or at least something with a speed stat over 20.

I don't get why everybody bashes Torkoal. He's pretty kick ass in a Fire/Water/Grass core. I was able to use him pretty successfully in tandem with Tangela and Poliwrath, and with a moveset of Rapid Spin/Clear Smog/Yawn/Lava Plume.

Torkoal is a decent physical wall. Access to SR and Rapid Spin, Yawn + Protect to phaze or sleep, Clear Smog for boosters and Lava Plume to fish for a Burn on the switch. His weakness to Ground and Rock doesn't help him but when I used him he walled every Entei in the game and could set and spin rocks comfortably. He had a good run and is viable but eventually lost his place to Cresselia. Nuff said.

I suggested this before but someone mentioned Shell Smash and that discussion ran away with itself... The less said of that the better.

Has anyone tried the swagnemite set in RU.
I know it's gimmicky but it works pretty well in other tiers but the lack of SS might hurt it's effectiveness but you could use toxic spikes.

Lv 1. 11HP @ Oran berry
Sturdy.
Recycle, protect, magic coat, toxic

Torkoal is a decent physical wall. Access to SR and Rapid Spin, Yawn + Protect to phaze or sleep, Clear Smog for boosters and Lava Plume to fish for a Burn on the switch. His weakness to Ground and Rock doesn't help him but when I used him he walled every Entei in the game and could set and spin rocks comfortably. He had a good run and is viable but eventually lost his place to Cresselia. Nuff said.

I suggested this before but someone mentioned Shell Smash and that discussion ran away with itself... The less said of that the better.
Stone Edge from CB Entei would destroy Torkoal.

This "mini-Terrakion" caught me by surprise:

Rampardos @ Life Orb/Focus Sash
Jolly
252 Atk/252 Spe/6 HP
Rock Polish
Swords Dance
Head Smash
Earthquake

Head Smash could probably be replaced with Stone Edge for the lack of recoil, and Earthquake for an elemental punch if necessary. Obviously it's Rampardos with his famous setbacks, but the last thing it's often expected to do is Rock Polish.

Yeah that is true lol but Torkoal still managed to do OK because when CB Entei comes in it is often in a pretty dire situation, checking boosters probably, so during my few days using him I never actually got hit with Stone Edge. For reference a CB Entei Stone Edge does 54.7% - 64.5% to defensive Torkoal. Flare Blitz does 24.4% - 28.8% which is, surprisingly, better than standard Rhyperior.

Edit: Mini-Terrakion sounds really cool. If only it had some decent resistances to come in on and force things out... Aggron has some good resistances and can certainly do the Rock Polish set with Head Smash but he doesn't get Swords Dance.

This "mini-Terrakion" caught me by surprise:

Rampardos @ Life Orb/Focus Sash
Jolly
252 Atk/252 Spe/6 HP
Rock Polish
Swords Dance
Head Smash
Earthquake

Head Smash could probably be replaced with Stone Edge for the lack of recoil, and Earthquake for an elemental punch if necessary. Obviously it's Rampardos with his famous setbacks, but the last thing it's often expected to do is Rock Polish.
I think Ryperior somewhat outclasses rampardos with megahorn, much better defenses, more unpredictability and for the fact that at +2, they both hit so hard there isnt much of a difference in attack stats. He also gets STAB on EQ

Yeah that is true lol but Torkoal still managed to do OK because when CB Entei comes in it is often in a pretty dire situation, checking boosters probably, so during my few days using him I never actually got hit with Stone Edge. For reference a CB Entei Stone Edge does 54.7% - 64.5% to defensive Torkoal. Flare Blitz does 24.4% - 28.8% which is, surprisingly, better than standard Rhyperior.
Enough said. Also, Torkoal doesn't have the typing or stats to be the premier physical wall on a team. I find him much more useful as utility Pokemon rather than a wall because he is simply better at that role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)