Regionals to be in November and April!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm also interested to see if this becomes a move towards a TCG-style point system with Battle Road, City, Provincial / State, Regional, National, and World. I'd still miss the Regionals losing some of the hype and meetups that result from having them, but 4 more events per year would be pretty cool.

Havak, the issue is NA TCG and European TCG are not run the same. The topic is for discussing the possiblities of what will happen to VGC if - as they've been moving towards year after year - it emuulates the TCG setup. Your post was more of a "What I wish VGC in Europe was like".

We are drawing closer and closer to the TCG format, and soon our prizes will probably end up being the same. As I've already stated, the only thing that differentiates TCG and VGC in the US are scholarships, but nonetheless our travel awards mirror the TCG already. The goal of TPCI is to get VGC to mirror the TCG so just look at whatever the fuck you already have for TCG and base your dreams and hopes off of that.

Well if this ends up being true then I can't compete at the regionals. Doesn't mean I won't play VGC 2012, I probably will to help others and I might have lcq available for me. Was great seeing everyone this year, glad I got to go to two regionals, and nationals and worlds, don't know if I'll be able to do that next year sadly.

Well if this ends up being true then I can't compete at the regionals. Doesn't mean I won't play VGC 2012, I probably will to help others and I might have lcq available for me. Was great seeing everyone this year, glad I got to go to two regionals, and nationals and worlds, don't know if I'll be able to do that next year sadly.
EXPLAIN :pirate:

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I don't understand why having more regionals, but on the same day, would mean you couldn't participate in regionals. Is the TCG (and possibly VGC) Regional date booked for you?

Yeah, Human told me he has a pretty tight schedule next year sadly :(

On another note, we'll have more information in about a week!

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, that's probably why many of us will have to miss them. Anyone who has to travel will have trouble because of that.
I play tcg and plenty of school age kids travel to play (including myself). Its not like its in the middle of the week. You can travel Friday, tournament Saturday and Sunday and travel back. In fact I don't think I know of anyone from the Dallas area tcg who used that as an excuse for not playing regionals this year.

Finally, a large chunk of May regionals the last couple years are during school also.

Tyler

No Longer Live
won the 1st Smogon VGC Tournament
I play tcg and plenty of school age kids travel to play (including myself). Its not like its in the middle of the week. You can travel Friday, tournament Saturday and Sunday and travel back. In fact I don't think I know of anyone from the Dallas area tcg who used that as an excuse for not playing regionals this year.

Finally, a large chunk of May regionals the last couple years are during school also.
Exactly, I went to a TCG Regional last year during school and it was fine. The big thing people have to remember is the regionals should be closer to you, only about a 3 hour drive for me, so you don't have to get plane tickets/drive many hours to VGC and back.

Well yeah, but the only reason I was able to go to the one in arlington was because it was after our school had ended(We started earlier than the others, you see). This time around, I won't have anybody to take me even though it's just a 30 minute drive from our house.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Right, all this is well and good, and I'm happy for you Americans-I really am. BUT WHEN DOES CANADA GET VGC :/
If what Firestorm speculated on actually happens, then Canada could get a few Regional tournaments. So, possibly this year or next year, or both.

Take a bus
Right, my mom is totally gonna let me get on a bus to another city with just my little brother. She already made it clear that if my parents aren't taking me, I'm probably not going to go. Also, looking at the list firestorm posted, if they make the vgc locations in the same place as the tcg locations, there is no way I am going.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I don't know how old you are, but I can remember waaaaaaaaaay back in the day when the TCG was young and there were tournaments in St. Louis. My parents wouldn't take me either. Unfortunately that's just life. Either convince your parents that it's important enough to you for them to take you, or get a job and a car and go yourself. I did the latter.

AlphaOmega

VGC 2009 Juniors Champion
Right, my mom is totally gonna let me get on a bus to another city with just my little brother. She already made it clear that if my parents aren't taking me, I'm probably not going to go. Also, looking at the list firestorm posted, if they make the vgc locations in the same place as the tcg locations, there is no way I am going.
Well if you can't go, then don't go. Don't complain on the forums about it.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Can we quit it with the "I CANT GO NEXT YEAR" crap? We don't even know if this is confirmed, and until we do, it would be best if we keep the bitching to a minimum.

Plus, if anyone can say anything about not being able to go to regionals, I probably have the greatest right here.

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I heard today from a fairly reliable source that the Sunday event is indeed our VGC.

oh, well, in that case I CAN'T GO NEXT YEAR qq

len you are the shadiest guy I know and I own a mirror

At least we have this information early so that we can all kinda plan on this stuff occuring mid-semester for most of us and try and deal with it. One weekend isn't so bad if it's a drive and not a flight, I guess(though the Indiana stop posted before and Toronto still wouldn't be close to me I guess it beats Atlanta). April scares me a lot more than November; that has finals interference written all over it.

So if Canada does get Vancouverish and Toronto i'm going to be mighty tempted to drive up to Toronto and keep my Canadian bros off the board... who's covering Vancouver? You in, SPF???

Assuming this doesn't drastically change how Worlds qualification works I feel like th isreally puts the pressure on at Nats :/ I'm there more to hang out first and play mons second and with Regionals split up and Worlds in Hawaii it's easy to see a 2012 where I only see people once :/

hmm... I've heard that pokebeach isn't the most trustworthy of sources... they once said that you can willingly make yourself good or evil and choose your own moral path in Pokemon Black and White, which didn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)