Rotom Forms

Rotom-Mow is retarded. Best Swampert counter in the game. It is immune to it's EQ's and takes nothing from it's water attacks. Leaf Storm is a guaranteed OHKO. It also makes a fantastic revenge killer with Choice Scarf.

Rotom-F is awesome on hail teams (as most likely already stated) it can make great use of a scarf with hat solid so.atk and STAB on Ice and Electric. it has Shadow Ball for more coverage and we all know how good trick is with a scarf.

Rotom-W You'd probably prefer Hidden Power Ice over Shadow Ball anyway, but squeeze a Politoed on your team and change Thunderbolt to Thunder. HP Ice doesn't hit Lanturn, but that's just one pokemon.

Rotom-H The SR weakness isn't going to make it fall to UU. Levitate neutralises it's quad Ground Weakness. You'd probably still wanna carry HP Ice in order to hit Dragons. A Rapid Spinner is recommended as you probably need to switch out a few times with Overheat.

Rotom-C Swampert usually packs Ice Beam, but a smart player won't leave it in because you can use Leaf Storm. This guy is still going to be a regular Grass type being the premium Rotom-W and Swampert counter (i.e. the premiem Grass type)

Rotom-F Blizzard's accuracy sucks so much it isn't even funny. On hail team this guy provides valuable Electric STAB. Still, STAB Boltbeam is nothing to look down at. But that Ice typing really brings him down with those crappy Fightin and Fire Weaknesses, as well as Stealth Rock.

Rotom-S TROLL Well at least he still has a decent defensive typing. Air Slash does have average coverage except for those steels. Still, it screws stuff like Roopushin and Birijion. Better of defending with only two weaknessses, containing that stupid Stealth Rock.

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've been running this set on Rotom-W to great success, with it only really have problems with Dragons/Blissey/Nattorei:

Rotom-W@Leftovers
Bold
Levitate
252 HP/168 Def/88 SpD
Thunderbolt
Hydro Pump
Rest
Sleep Talk

It can stall out a lot, especially after it's partner in crime (Tentacruel) sets up Toxic Spikes it can stall with Blissey.

honestly, it makes sense that they lose ghost typing when they possess a machine. Once they have a physical form, why would normal and fighting attacks go through them.

As reported by the Smogcast, rotom W and F resist the infamous bolt beam combo, which is indeed quite "fancy". the only other things I can think of that do this are seaking with lighting rod and lanturn.

As reported by the Smogcast, rotom W and F resist the infamous bolt beam combo, which is indeed quite "fancy". the only other things I can think of that do this are seaking with lighting rod and lanturn.
Just Thick Fat Mamoswine, Magnezone, and Shedinja, I believe. Still, boltbeam isn't used very much - didn't they say that in the Smogcast? There aren't a whole lot of viable users. Since nobody but Rotom-F gets STAB on the two, neutral damage often just isn't enough. And Rotom-F's Blizzard is pretty much unusable outside of hail.

Still, boltbeam isn't used very much - didn't they say that in the Smogcast? There aren't a whole lot of viable users.
Ummm it's like the most common set of moves on offensive water types (though often not true Bolt/Beam, usually HP Electric is used when they lack access to bolt but still). Starmie, Suicune, Milotic, Lanturn, Vaporeon, ect... Are all viable Bolt/Beamers. Outside of waters, things like Gengar/Tyranistar and almost any electric type like Jolteon/Raikou (with HP Ice since they lack Ice Beam) and you have a decent number of pokes who can run Bolt/Beam.

Rotom-F is the only Pokemon to have STAB Boltbeam, which is only resisted by Magnezone, Lanturn (not really used), Shedinja (lol in Gen 5 metagame), Thick Fat Mamoswine, Lightning Rod Seacking (FCK YEA lol), Rotom-H, and opposing Rotom-F.

TBH I have not seen any Rotom-A outside of its water form. Can anybody who has tested them post their experiences? I think the problem with the oven and lawnmower is that their only STAB fire/grass attack requires them to switch out after one use, making it difficult to effectively exploit their defensive or offensive capabilities. Rotom-F's neutrality to Steel, resistance to Electric and Ice and great STAB coverage should make it pretty viable inside of hail. To me, Rotom-S appears outclassed by Borutorosu, Zapdos and even Togekiss.

Please share :]

I haven't tested it myself, but using Rotom-F on a Hail team in Gen 5 just seems like a bad idea. It completely lost the niche it had in Gen 4, in that, it had an immunity to Normal (mainly Rapid Spin) and Fighting and a resistance to Steel, which were types that always plagued Hail teams. By changing its type to Electric/Ice, it's now weak to Fire, Fighting, and Rock and neutral to Steel. It's only resistances/immunities are Electric, Flying, Ice, and Ground. Flying isn't a very common attacking type and the other three will be resisted by one of your other Pokemon.

@Shimrit As: I've seen at least one Rotom-C. Electric/Grass is a pretty good offensive and defensive typing, but Rotom-W is usually better.

^I'm thinking Rotom-F might fill a more offensive than defensive role which means it might be out of place on typical Hail teams. Although BoltBeam might be somewhat overrated it is still useful to have (esp against opposing weather).

I haven't seen anyone else use it, but as long as you can keep rocks off the field, Rotom-H has an amazing typing, sporting 7 resistances and 1 immunity. Most notably, it resists every move commonly used as coverage but Stone Edge, HP Fighting and Focus Blast, so if you resist something's STAB, then you most likely completely wall it. Because of that, most special attackers can't touch it and WoW severely cripples physical threats on the switch. Offensively, Specs hits surprisingly hard and has near-perfect coverage with HP Ice, as Swampert isn't that common anymore.

Also, (Nattorei/) Birijion + Rotom-H + Tentacruel makes a solid core that destroys both rain and Nattorei+Burungeru, which is pretty cool in the current metagame. BTW, Rotom-H is also good against sun, as it resists everything sun abusers commonly use.

Rotom W is a great Pokemon this generation. Rotom-H's SR weakness is the only thing stopping me from using it as a scarfer, but there's been a lot of times I'd wished I had Overheat over Hydro Pump.

Rotom-W is also my pick for one of the underrated defensive Pokemon. It resists four common (debatable for flying, but that's a great STAB to have, so having an extra resist for it is nice) and one weakness to a type that is easily covered.

I curse Gamefreak for not letting him have Boiling Water though. But with Hydro Pump, Discharge, Will-o-Wisp, Pain Split/Toxic it can beat a lot of threats. Its really hard to take down without Toxic as I obviously don't stay in to take something like a Power Whip or Seed Flare.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
This is a first for pokemon. In previous generations, some pokemon (magnemite, magneton, etc) were granted a second type (steel), but a pokemon has never had its typing taken away from it. I didn't know that a pokemon could just lose its typing all of a sudden. While we're at it, why not take away charizard's flying typing?? A dragon typing would be much better for it.

You realize how ridiculous your argument is, right? I could say the same about the creation of Stealth Rock. "In previous generations, hazards have been created that take a specific percent of HP away, but never before has Game Freak created an entry hazard that had a specific typing. What blasphemy! Why not create a Stealth Dragon as well?? That would be a lot more effective in terms of hitting Pokemon for normal effectiveness!"

That's really not a good way to argue and it just makes you sound unintelligent.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
You realize how ridiculous your argument is, right? I could say the same about the creation of Stealth Rock. "In previous generations, hazards have been created that take a specific percent of HP away, but never before has Game Freak created an entry hazard that had a specific typing. What blasphemy! Why not create a Stealth Dragon as well?? That would be a lot more effective in terms of hitting Pokemon for normal effectiveness!"

That's really not a good way to argue and it just makes you sound unintelligent.
Are you kidding me?? My point is easy to understand. You can add moves, abilities, attacks, etc. You can add whatever the fuck you want to a new game, but taking something away from a pokemon (like it's typing) just doesn't make any sense.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
...Well, they changed Magnemite and Magneton's typing from Electric/Electric (iirc that's how it was programmed into RBY) to Electric/Steel in GSC; they just did the same with the Rotom-Apps.

Rotom's gave me some typings I'd been yearning for.

Mow- STAB leaf storm + t-bolt let's him counter rain teams?
Heat - Scizor counter, but what else outside of that?
Wash- Most reliable Special move IMO. Only 1 weakness + neat dual STAB
Frost- STAB Boltbeam is win. Might see some hail team use.
Spin- poor guy gets useless ability (with his typing) and as such double ground immunity. Add a balloon to him, pass magnet rise, and he'll have Quadruple ground immunity.

The new typings make the rotoms more individual, so let's embrace the changes.

Are you kidding me?? My point is easy to understand. You can add moves, abilities, attacks, etc. You can add whatever the fuck you want to a new game, but taking something away from a pokemon (like it's typing) just doesn't make any sense.
It makes complete sense. They can do anything they want with THEIR game. Who are you to say what they can and can't do?

Rotom-Mow is retarded. Best Swampert counter in the game. It is immune to it's EQ's and takes nothing from it's water attacks. Leaf Storm is a guaranteed OHKO. It also makes a fantastic revenge killer with Choice Scarf.
Leaf Storm is 4x resisted by so many common OU Pokemon.. Salamence, Dragonite, Scizor, Heatran, Nattorei, Forretress.. Any of these could be easy switch ins that get to set up because you need to switch out into something that can actually take them.

Rotom Frost is useless on Hail teams. A STAB Boltbeam combo is nice, but his new weakness are just so terrible for him. It's not worth it to give yourself another Fire/Fighting/Rock (Stealth Rock) weakness just to abuse a STAB combination that would have been better off on another Pokemon with better speed.

Just because you have a way to deal with it doesn't necessarily mean you'll have it off the field the entire match, you'll still have to switch accordingly based on what your opponents doing while trying to find a way to remove it off the field, meaning switching around will be difficult. However, yes, all hail teams should have a way to deal with it, as there are numerous ways to deal with it (Taunt, Magic Coat, Magic Mirror, Rapid Spin etc).

Two resistances and one immunity does not make a Pokemon (good). The other Rotom Formes have much better typing to work with, and would honestly fit better on a Hail team in comparison due to their better defensive synergy and offensive typing for a hail team. Hail teams are also strapped for team slots due to trying to cover up their very common weaknesses. If you're looking to abuse a great offensive STAB (specifically Blizzard) you might as well use Kyurem, who has much higher attacking stats, better defensive typing, better speed, and better defenses than Rotom does.

I concede that Rotom is not terrible, he's just much harder to place on a team than other members, I honestly would have preferred him to be Ghost/Ice if only for the Fighting Immunity and nothing else.

for rotom-heat this set would be usefull?
Rotom-heat
Item: choice specs.
Nature: timid
Ev's:252 speed/ 202 sp.atk/28def/28sp.def
-overheat
-shadow ball
-thunder bolt
-HP ice/HP grass

not the same higher sp.atk, but got more defences.
what u guys think?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)