1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Rutgers University, NJ: Apex 2012 - January 6-8, 2012 - WON BY sandman

Discussion in 'Local Tournaments' started by ChiboSempai, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Delta 2777

Delta 2777 Machampion
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion

So uhhh

I'm guessing legal hacks aren't allowed or..?
  2. ChiboSempai

ChiboSempai

There will be hack checks to look for illegal movesets, stats, and such. Beyond that, it's up to you.
  3. ChiboSempai

ChiboSempai

Sorry for the massive delay everyone, the holidays destroyed me and other preparations with Apex and my own events.

We're back on schedule here and are going to run the fourth qualifier 8 days from today. Check the OP for info.
  4. Daigon

Daigon

But I dnt use PO I can't just show up on the 6th with my DSi
  5. kokoloko

kokoloko yes, this is dog.
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Winner
    Underused Leader

It'll be interesting to see the mass amount of poke-people at my university. I won't be attending the actual event though.
  6. MikeDecIsHere

MikeDecIsHere Congregation of the Classiest
    is a Battle Server Moderatoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    Mentor

sounds interesting. I'll try to be there
  7. comatthew6

comatthew6 Uther's Noble [Ball]Sack
    is a Researcher Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

oyyyyyyyyyyyyy I wanna see if I can go but knowing me I won't. Like to try my hand at brawl though =/
  8. ChiboSempai

ChiboSempai

The tournament itself is ran on the DS. Just the qualifier is online with PO.

Just so you know, Smash registration is online mandatory and ends on the 31st. Pokemon, Marvel, Mortal Kombat, and Street Fighter may all be done at the door.
  9. Cybertron

Cybertron Can't Hit WoW
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Sorry if I missed this but what are the awards? How will the money be distributed / will there be any medals or trophies? And do you have an estimate on the attendance? I'm not sure if I'm going to go now since homecoming for my school is the same day, so I'd like some answers. Thanks Chibo!
  10. Poke-Amph

Poke-Amph

I unfortunately can't go because I live across the country. I posted about the tournament on my website so hopefully that brings in some more people. You should post pictures of the event if you can. I'd love to make a follow up post after the tournament.
  11. ChiboSempai

ChiboSempai

Thanks for the post amph, and there will def be tons of media from the event.

cybertron - the awards are cash prizes, distributed as a % from the entry fees. I'm not sure the exact payout. It will be based on entrants, whether it be top 3 payout, top 4, or top 5. Also, the winner of the event that has more entrants gets a really nice trophy (could only pick one event since i only have one trophy to give). If it's top 3 payout, that would be a 60/30/10 split. So for instance say there's only 32 entrants with that pay split, that means there's a pot of $320, and 60% is $192 for first place.

I don't know what the exact turnout is going to be yet. It's tough to gauge since there is no online registration for Pokemon, but there is a lot of hype around Smogon, Skarmbliss, All is Brawl, and Smashboards for people entering Pokemon.
  12. MikeDecIsHere

is a Battle Server Moderatoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    Mentor

So basically legal hacks are ok?

Illegal stats/move sets could go to the extent of having Bold Wish Bliss with perfect IVs tbh, so a bit of clarification on that part would be nice.
  13. ChiboSempai

ChiboSempai

As long as a Pokemon being used is legally obtainable, there is no problem. No blatant hacks.
  14. Elemt

Elemt

Did I have to register at Apexsmash if I'm only going for the Pokemon? And I didn't need to play in the qualifier right?
  15. ChiboSempai

ChiboSempai

Nope, you don't have to register online. It was available for a while and required for Smash, but all Pokemon signups are done at the door.

Qualifiers were not required either, more of a bonus. You are perfectly able to come and compete. The event starts at 6pm on Friday, please be early to make sure you are signed up on time though.
  16. Team Rocket Elite

Team Rocket Elite Data Integration Thought Entity
    is a Pokemon Researcher

Have the winners for this been announced?
  17. Sixonesix

Sixonesix
    is a Past SPL Winner

Apparently Doubles was:

1. sandman
    2. Sapphire Birch
    3. MikeDecIsHere
  18. theamericandream38

theamericandream38

Doubles:
    1st - sandman
    2nd - sapphire birch
    3rd - mike dec is here

Singles:
    1st/3rd- undecided. spf rai and chimpakt are playing tomorrow to determine these placings.
    2nd - dark master (was in grand finals when he had to leave because the tourney was taking soooo long, so he automatically got 2nd)

Yeah im real bad
  19. Team Rocket Elite

Team Rocket Elite Data Integration Thought Entity
    is a Pokemon Researcher

Thanks for the information.
  20. Valdens

Valdens

YEAH SPF RAI

AW YEAAAAHHHHH
  21. MikeDecIsHere

Mentor

confirming. was a ton of fun. Fuck PP Stall in VGCs though
  22. theamericandream38

theamericandream38

If only I was that good at not getting paralyzed all the time ._. Feeling extra sad about losing in singles because there is a trophy for 1st =( Lessons learned though, hosting a singles tournament in person is the biggest clusterfuck imaginable.
  23. Hawkstar

Hawkstar Unplug me from this fantasy
    is a Contributor to Smogonis a SPL Winner

Gotta root for my boy Chimpakt!
  24. MikeDecIsHere

Mentor

There was a trophy? Fuckkkk ;-;
  25. sandman

sandman Bum bum bum bum
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

This match was with me sapphire birch in the winner's semi's

79-75220-98364

I also found this one which I think was sapphire vs MikeDecIsHere in losers finals

69-42830-52362

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)