Seek and Destroy - An OU Warstory by reyscarface and Syl

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
Hello Smogon! We are reyscarface and Syl. This time we want to share with you a pretty good battle we had in the Smogon Standard Ladder. This match was full of prediction as well as random guesses, and you could say that the deciding factor of it was getting information of our respective opponent team in order to manage to get a sweep. Without a lot more to say, we hope you enjoy it!

reyscarface's team:

Syl's team:

- Ladder Match
- Sleep Clause
- Freeze Clause
- OHKO Clause
- Evasion Clause
- Species Clause
- Strict Damage Clause
- Soul Dew Clause
reyscarface's comments will be in black.
Syl's comments will be in blue.

I Love Jun sent out Aerodactyl.
syl sent out Azelf.
Aerodactyl is exerting its pressure!

The match starts, and its kind of a blessed feeling what I feel for Azelf leads. On one side, its 100% sure that they wont get SR, which greatly helps my Weavile and Salamence on switching in, specially Weavile being as frail as it is, and Mence at least can Roost. Anyways, my first turn move is pretty obvious, even though my opponent will use Psychic (duh who doesnt vs Aero) but hey! I just want him to not get SR. Ill get SR after holding up with my sash. In the weird case he uses SR and wastes a turn, then its all cool since I get to break his sash ^__^.

As the game begins, five or six persons come to enjoy the show, so I can only assume that I Love Jun is a top player using an alt. Alright Syl, don't look stupid, people are watching.
My opponent leads with Aerodactyl, meaning he's probably going to taunt my Azelf first. What he doesn't know is that my Azelf carries a scarf. I could trick it right off the bat but that would mean I won't get SR because of taunt. Besides, a scarfed Aerodactyl can outspeed and revenge kill anything in my team with either Earthquake or Stone Edge. Hopefully I'll be able to trick the scarf later on to give a free set-up to one of my sweepers, but right now I am just gonna get those rocks up. The success of my team greatly depends on its ability to weaken opposing Gyarados, Mence, and Zapdos, so getting SR up ASAP is a must. By doing so I am giving ILJ two free turns thanks to the scarf, so let's hope he wastes the first turn taunting me.

Azelf used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!
Aerodactyl used Taunt.
Azelf fell for the taunt!

- 100%
- 100% - Taunted

Hoooold on... SCARF. Shit a Scarf Azelf... or maybe its supernaive... who knows. The big deal here is it indeed got SR up, which basically ruins all my plans of Taunt, die, sweep. At least I know hes forced to switch now, and its pretty fine with me since I will still get my own rocks up. My main concern here is... if he knew he was going to move first, why not Trick me? Maybe he doesnt have Trick... maybe its a 3 attack Scarf Azelf... this brings many ideas in my head but for now im fine so lets stick to getting SR.

Good, SR goes up and Aero taunts Azelf in vain. My opponent tells me "this is a fast Azelf" and I reply "he's super naive" but something tells me he's not buying it. Anyway, I have to switch now and let Aero put his own SR on the field. Thing is, Aero's rock+ground combo fucks up my entire team and my only decent switch is an offensive Gliscor, who doesn't particularly enjoy taking a STAB Stone Edge in his face.

syl switched in Gliscor.
Aerodactyl used Stealth Rock.

- 100%
- 100%

Gliscor? Why would he bring a Gliscor out of all things to an Aerodactyl, who showed him that has Taunt meaning most Gliscors would be unable to hurt me at all, on Standard Gliscors he would only be able to break my Sash with U-Turn, and since thats about it, ill just Taunt it in case he tries to Toxic or something.

Alright, Gliscor gets in safely as my opponent's SR goes up. I am pretty sure he is not gonna switch since it would break Aero's sash. Also he's probably not sure what I am gonna do because most Gliscors can't touch Aero. I am using an odd set, which is basically the SD set with Agility over Swords Dance. I have both Ice Fang and Stone Edge to hit Aero hard, but since Stone Edge seems to miss more often than not, Ice Fang is the only viable option. My plan is to weaken Aero while eating a Rock Slide/Stone Edge, then finish it with Lucario's ExtremeSpeed.

Aerodactyl used Taunt.
Gliscor fell for the taunt!
Gliscor used Ice Fang.
It's super effective!
Aerodactyl lost 83% of its health.
Gliscor lost 10% of its health.

- 17%
- 90% - Taunted

Damn, this dude has the most unorthodox sets ever. Seriously... Ice Fang Life Orbed Gliscor, good to see that pokemon at least works for somebody. Since now Aerodactyl is rendered useless with SR up on his side, ill just sacrifice it, while getting a nice blow on his Gliscor, leaving me a good idea of his defense stat, which will let me (gu)estimate his speed, meaning it will be easier to kill. I also know he doesnt run SR on this Gliscor since he got it up already, EQ is a must, and im assuming Roost to recover since LO pokes with Recover are pretty good in this metagame. Last one could be, idk, Taunt, U-Turn, even Toxic to maybe hit walls? God Rey stop going off themes, just hit that Gliscor!

Cool, ILJ chooses to taunt Gliscor and lets me weaken Aero for free. I can almost hear him thinking "wtf"? The oddity of my sets has indeed put me at a slight advantage thus far: SR is up on both sides but my team is barely weakened while my opponent's Aero is about to die. However, what sucks is that I am being forced to reveal half my team to kill his lead, and I only know one of his pokes. Anyway, this time Stone Edge is coming, and Lucario should be able to take it pretty well. Time for my first non-gimmicky pokémon to appear...

syl switched in Lucario.
Pointed stones dug into Lucario.
Lucario lost 3% of its health.
Aerodactyl used Stone Edge.
Aerodactyl's attack missed!

- 17%
- 97%

So much for nothing. Lucario appears, which means I wont get any information about Gliscor, and Aerodactyl is as good as dead. An Extremespeed can be seen from a mile ago, which means Aero cant do anything here. Maybe he will get greedy and use SD? Bleh ill click EQ.

Luck's on my side. Told ya, misses more often than not :P. The miss leaves Lucario at near full health and I am finally able to kill off my opponent's lead.

Lucario used Extremespeed.
It's not very effective...
Aerodactyl lost 17% of its health.
I Love Jun's Aerodactyl fainted.
Lucario lost 10% of its health.
(5-6 | Syl up)

- Fainted
- 87%

Alright, Aero dies like a man. Good news, I got SR up, and I also got information on 3 of his pokes, while he has only seen Aero. Bad thing, he has SR up too. Well, im bringing in my Gliscor because thats like the worst nightmare of Lucarios (at least until someone gets ballsy and uses agility hp ice!). After that, im pretty sure hes not going to let his Lucario die like that since EQ is the obvious move, but just in case he switches, which im positive he will do, ill use Taunt, possibly hitting something like Skarmory or Celebi, while still hurting Lucario since he wont get an SD, which is the only chance he has at beating Gliscor. If he decides to bring Azelf, im in deep trouble though.

The mean jackal happily finishes the flying fossile. It took three mons but we did it! Now whatever ILJ sends will probably make Luke flee or die.

I Love Jun switched in Gliscor.
Pointed stones dug into Gliscor.
Gliscor lost 12% of its health.

My opponent sends Gliscor, and just as expected Lucario has to run away. ILJ's obvious move is Earthquake and my three ground immunities are Gliscor, Gyarados and Azelf. I am assuming his Gliscor carries Taunt and Roost and is faster than my own Gliscor -who is adamant- meaning he can stall me out. With SR on my field I must play Gyara cautiously : if Gliscor taunts me on the switch then I'll have to blindly pick an attack on the next turn since Gliscor obviously won't stay in, and probably switch out on the turn after. A U-turn from Gliscor, although unlikely, would be even worse as I'd have to switch out Gyara right away. LO Gyarados just doesn't like switching back and forth when SR is up. This leaves me with Azelf who I feel is my least valuable member now that he's done his main job. He can threaten Gliscor with Explosion or Trick and in case he gets killed by U-turn it's ok because he has done his job I have a free switch.

syl switched in Azelf.
Pointed stones dug into Azelf.
Azelf lost 12% of its health.
Gliscor used Taunt.
Azelf fell for the taunt!
Gliscor's leftovers restored its health a little!
Gliscor restored 6% of its health.

- 94%
- 88% - Taunted

Boobs, Syl does the best move, Azelf already got SR up, which is his job, and now I can see it blowing up in my Gliscor's face. Maybe, just maybe, he will decide to use Flamethrower, since he is pretty healthy, nearly at max HP. In this case, Magnezone becomes completely unusable, since, being my only Steel, Flamethrower will leave me in a worse spot. I try to remember the set Atticus used in his Frontier team, and I cant quite remember if it had Psychic or Flamethrower, but anyways, I have decided to sacrifice Gliscor, I lose my Lucario counter, but I still have a decently bulky Salamence hidden, meaning not everything is lost.

ILJ's Gliscor taunts my Azelf so Trick is no longer an option. I run two attacking moves : the admittedly odd Zen Headbutt which can't do much to Gliscor and Explosion which seems the best move here. But then ILJ tells me: "I know you are going to explode but I have nothing to take the hit, so I'll just sacrifice Gliscor". Wait a minute. It only occurs to me now that my opponent might very well have a ghost, and right now my guts are telling me he's lying and he indeed has a ghost, so I'll try to catch it on the switch.

Azelf used Zen Headbutt.
Azelf's attack missed!
Gliscor used Toxic.
Azelf was badly poisoned!
Azelf is hurt by poison!
Azelf lost 6% of its health.

- 100%
- 82% - Taunted - Badly Poisoned

Ok, my bet is he thought I had a ghost, which is a pretty good assumption with the prevalence of Rotoms in this metagame. Sadly, Gliscor cant do a whole lot to Azelf, so my best bet was to Poison it, good thing, he is locked once again, and Psychic, being such a bad attacking type in OU, will let me switch in my Spinner for free, easily taking advantage that he has to switch out right now.

Great! Who's the idiot that said "trust your guts"? The miss was irrelevant given the pathetic damage Zen Headbutt would have done. ILJ was actually telling the truth, he had nothing to take the Explosion, so from now on I'm gonna assume he is an honest guy. I end up doing nothing, Azelf gets poisoned, and I have to switch meaning ILJ has got a free turn to do whatever he likes. I've got no choice but to send Gyarados who is the only guy in my team that can beat a Gliscor at full health.

I Love Jun switched in 100 Starmie.
Pointed stones dug into Starmie.
Starmie lost 12% of its health.
syl switched in Gyarados.
Gyarados's intimidate cut Starmie's attack!
Pointed stones dug into Gyarados.
Gyarados lost 25% of its health.
Starmie's leftovers restored its health a little!
Starmie restored 6% of its health.

- 94%
- 75%

Perfect, it worked even better than I thought. Starmie comes in for free, taking advantage of his locked Azelf, and he brings in something to take on my Gliscor, a Gyarados, which at first sight has no Leftovers on it. This obviously means Life Orb Gyarados, which tremendously troubles my team, specially EQ Jolly ones since its basically a once it DDs up. I can Thunderbolt the Gyarados, and OHKO it, which is really good, but I really doubt someone would leave a +0 Gyarados on a Starmie, since it is known that basically every Starmie carries Thunderbolt. Thinking about this, I may as well just Rapid Spin, since Mence and Weavile really enjoy not having to face the rocks upon switching in. Yeah, after all, who leaves in Gyarados on Starmie...

It's getting worse and worse for me. ILJ does an excellent switch and I am facing a terrible match-up. Alright, relax, start breathing Syl. What kind of Starmie is it? It's got lefties, definitely a spinner. It definitely carries Thunderbolt as well, what Starmie doesn't? Can Gyara survive Tbolt ? Not a chance. But ILJ knows I have to switch, right? So now looks like an ideal time for Starmie to accomplish its main purpose, which is to spin those pesky rocks. Besides, I can't keep giving ILJ free turns to do his thing while I stay one step behind. Residual damage wears down my Life Orbers pretty quickly which means time isn't on my side and the more I switch, the longer the battle.
With that in mind, I decide it's time to get ballsy. Gyara, show'em ya ain't no pussy.

Starmie used Rapid Spin.
Starmie blew away the pointed stones!
Gyarados lost 3% of its health.
Gyarados used Dragon Dance.
Gyarados's attack was raised.
Gyarados's speed was raised.
Starmie's leftovers restored its health a little!
Starmie restored 6% of its health.

- 100%
- 72% - +1 Attack / +1 Speed

@#$)&/€@##. This is horrible, I got the spin in, yes, but fuck id rather have the rocks than a LO DD Gyarados me. Specially when I dont know the moveset, nature, evs. This is very bad, I have no safe switchin, and although Starmie could really help me against him later on by spamming Surf, I really thing getting other pokes unharmed is more important. I do a quick calc, showing that Starmie will survive a Jolly LO Stone Edge around 80% of the time, which is good enough for me in this situation, but if its Adamant, it will OHKO me easily, BUT Weavile can get in and revenge since it is faster. My pick is clear.

I made a good move this time, everything worked as planned. Now maybe, just maybe, Stone Edge is gonna hit. Hopefully it will kill ILJ's Starmie, but even if it doesn't Starmie will be left with very little health and easily picked off by Lucario. With Starmie out of the picture my Infernape will have an easier time when he comes in.

Gyarados used Stone Edge.
Starmie lost 100% of its health.
I Love Jun's Starmie fainted.
Gyarados lost 10% of its health.
(4-6 | Syl up)

- Fainted
- 62% - +1 Attack / +1 Speed

Krabbys. It KOd, which deletes his nature. It is indeed Adamant, which means Weavile can revenge Gyarados! Wait im stupid, it can only revenge it when its at around 55%, and this thing is way out of the range of kill. Stupid Gamefreak why cant you give Weavile Crunch and make every Weavile user happy -.-. Whatever, I cant bring Weavile in, so my Magnezone will have to take the hit. He did use Stone Edge vs Starmie, which leaves a question, why didnt he use EQ, which has the same power, but cant miss? The answer is easy to this one, he does not have that move. At least thats what I think... Magnezone is the only chance here, since it can OHKO, hopefully I wont get flinched or critted or something.

I get the kill. Thanks Gyara, that's one problem solved!

I Love Jun switched in Magnezone.

ILJ has guessed Gyarados doesn't have EQ and sends Magnezone. Gyara cannot OHKO it and it has to use T-bolt. Since I can't kill it, I feel sacrificing Gyara to only weaken Magnezone won't do me much good : if it's scarfed it will still give trouble to some of my team members no matter what, if it isn't then it's almost a non-issue as long as I don't let it get a substitute up. I send Gliscor to absorb Zone's T-bolt.

syl switched in Gliscor.
Magnezone used Thunderbolt.
It doesn't affect Gliscor...

- 100%
- 78%

Im getting really outpredicted here. He keeps and keeps making good moves, and getting set-up/switches for free, while I am just weakening myself more and more. Gliscor posses an immediate threat to my Magnezone, who I need later on to take hits from that locked Azelf and possibly the Gyarados, so I better save it. The only pokes in my team that can get in unharmed from EQ are Salamence and Gliscor. Gliscor is out of the question, since hes probably faster and will beat me before I have the chance to do anything, but Salamence can easily outspeed and set-up. In case you were wondering the Mence is pretty bulky and has Roost, which means I am able to survive the Ice Fang (yay calcs), get a DD, and then Roost to a safe position... hopefully.

Gliscor absorbs Magnezone's attack and puts me in a good position. I have no idea what kind of Magnezone ILJ is using but I think he's gonna switch it out since my obvious move is Earthquake and there is little reason not to use it. Unless...

I Love Jun switched in Salamence.
Gliscor used Agility.
Gliscor's speed was sharply raised.

- 100%
- 78% - +2 Speed

Are you kidding me. AGILITY GLISCOR what is going on here man. Not only that, but it has hyper cutter, which means Intimidate isnt gonna help at all here. My plans of DDing while Roosting are gone, since now it will be able to KO me easily, Roost wont be saving me from the Ice Weakness. Alright, at least I know his next move, he will Ice Fang me, so Weavile will have to make an appearance now in order to take the Ice Fang and then KO with Ice Shard. Please dont be gay and have/use Stone Edge...

I take the opportunity to set-up an Agility meaning Gliscor now virtually outspeeds anything ILJ can send. Mence is sent. Good, that's an easy kill.

I Love Jun switched in Weavile.
Weavile is exerting its pressure!
Gliscor used Ice Fang.
Weavile lost 23% of its health.
Gliscor lost 10% of its health.

- 77%
- 68% - +2 Speed

Something finally works out for me, yay. Now, with Gliscor about to die, im expecting him to sacrifice, not only because im seriously doubting he has something better to sacrifice now that he knows Agility Gliscor wont be sweeping, but maybe he also has the idea that I have Ice Punch and will try to attack me. No thinking here about other scenarios, I need that Gliscor to go down right now.

Darn. ILJ predicts perfectly and makes a good switch. KOing Mence would really have made my life easier. More bad news, Weavile doesn't care how fast Gliscor is, Ice Shard will make quick work of him. I am not sure what to do here. Weavile isn't in Lucario's ES KO range. My other Ice Shard resist is Infernape but can he survive an Ice Shard and the subsequent hit and then KO Weavile back. Also wouldn't I be better off just letting Gliscor die in order to let Infernape come in at full health. Hmm... Well, since Infernape and Lucario are basically the "twin brothers" of my team I often end up sacrificing one of them when I have no clue what the best move is, so that my team remains as versatile as possible. So here he comes.

syl switched in Infernape.
Pointed stones dug into Infernape.
Infernape lost 12% of its health.
Weavile used Ice Shard.
Infernape lost 18% of its health.
Weavile lost 10% of its health.

- 67%
- 70%

Oh dear I cant believe it. He predicts my move again. He gets a good switchin again, and im in a tight position again. I have Low Kick on Weavile, hopefully it can KO the Infernape, unless it has Mach Punch which I doubt, and keep up to later game, considering Weavile is the only thing able to stop a +1 Gyarados and a +2 Gliscor later. I wish I had something to switch-in, but unfortunately, ill have to let Weavile go down, considering that if its Mixape, ill need it weakened so I get the chance to finish it by LO recoil, or else the thing will easily end the game right now.

Hehe, that's one bulky monkey we've got there. Infernape takes Weavile's Ice Shard like a champ and 70% is hopefully enough to survive Weavile's Low Kick and strike back.

Weavile used Low Kick.
Infernape lost 57% of its health.
Weavile lost 10% of its health.
Infernape used Close Combat.
It's super effective!
Weavile lost 57% of its health.
I Love Jun's Weavile fainted.
Infernape's defence was lowered.
Infernape's special defence was lowered.
Infernape lost 10% of its health.

(3-6 | Syl up)

- Fainted
- 3% - -1 Defense / -1 Sp Defense

The thing survives with HP to spare, and im pissed off now. Not only I am down by 3 pokes in the score which shows how badly I have been outpredicted, but the Infernape has enough power to hit another pokemon, which could mean another one of mine goes down. Now, knowing Mixape, It will be carrying HP Ice, which means bringing Mence is a dumb move, but I still have my Magnezone saved, which means I will be able to switch Mence without problem and let Magnezone take the hit for him (thanks god I spun those rocks before).

Weavile goes down, this is one thing Gliscor no longer has to worry about. Infernape survives so it can potentially kill/weaken something else if ILJ has no other priority move/faster poke.
The score makes it look like I am way ahead but this isn't true : Infernape is about to die, Gyarados will be at like 30% next time he comes in, and ILJ has spun my rocks away.

Salamence's intimidate cut Infernape's attack!

He sends Salamence. Maybe he thinks Infernape can't touch it. Stone Edge is my best bet here.

Infernape used Stone Edge.
Magnezone lost 14% of its health.
Infernape lost 2% of its health.
syl's Infernape fainted.
Magnezone's leftovers restored its health a little!
Magnezone restored 6% of its health.
(3-5 | Syl up)

- 92%
- Fainted

Plan works, and Magnezone takes the hit, now I just need to wait and see what Poke he will be bringing in and act accordingly.

I didn't see that coming. ILJ outplayed me and made me waste Infernape's final attack. Now ILJ has a Salamence at full health waiting for an opportunity to sweep my ass, and I really don't like that. SR would make Mence easier to handle. So I am gonna send Azelf and once again get SR up. This time they won't get spun. Hopefully Flamethrower (which I don't have) and Trick (which I have) are threatening enough that he will kill azelf or switch out as I SR. If he chooses to Sub up instead, it will be a disaster for me since -1) Azelf will be locked into SR and ILJ will have a free turn to pick whatever attack meaning Azelf will have to stay in and die -2) I'll have to sac one poke to break the Sub.
This is very risky and I should think twice but... too late.

syl switched in Azelf.
Pointed stones dug into Azelf.
Azelf lost 12% of its health.

Its that annoying ass Azelf (AAA) again. And since he switched in so ruthlessly when he could have brought in his Gliscor, my bet is he will have Fire Punch or will Explode (he used Zen Headbutt before, it means is completely Physical). Fire Punch leaves me very weakened, not even at enough HP to get a sub up, while Explosion KOs me at this health. Gah, at least if he uses Fire Punch ill kill it with Thunderbolt, so Mence can do a mini sweep later.

Azelf used Stealth Rock.
Azelf lost 70% of its health.
syl's Azelf fainted.
(3-4 | Syl up)

- 98%
- Fainted

You must be joking are you telling me I could have gotten a sub up right now?! Gah, again im in trouble, since without a Substitute up, im really prone to revenge killing. Mence will be left at 75%, which means my plan of getting a DD is fucked, since, yes I can outspeed and kill with outrage, but he still has that Lucario to revenge me, and his last poke I dont know. He even has Gyarados, to further weaken my Outrage.

Phew! ILJ chooses to kill my Azelf. I shouldn't have done that but he probably didn't believe I was stupid enough to let him get a free Sub up. Now, I can either switch in Lucario or Gliscor to threaten Zone. None of them can sweep right now without a set-up and ILJ won't let me set-up. I choose Lucario because he takes nothing from SR so I can easily switch him out when my opponent sends Gliscor/Mence and let him come back later.

syl switched in Lucario.

Lucario comes in, which means a CC is coming. I still have Gliscor alive, which means I can get in with ease and threaten with Earthquake. I still need Magnezone alive for that Gyarados, while Mence is a must to kill his Gliscor. No need to weaken these key players.

I Love Jun switched in Gliscor.
Lucario used Close Combat.
Gliscor lost 32% of its health.
Lucario's defence was lowered.
Lucario's special defence was lowered.
Lucario lost 10% of its health.

- 62%
- 74% - -1 Defense / -1 Sp Defense

Alright, this worked. We are now once again in a mind games play. Im completely sure he is not staying in, since Lucario is doing barely any damage to Gliscor, while I OHKO. He will probably end up bringing one of his flying pokes, Gliscor or Gyarados. None of those enjoy a nice Toxic in the face, since they enjoy being non statused to sweep. Im taking a big risk here, since if he stays I could be in deep shit, in my Roost he can CC to leave me even more weakened and pick me off with ES, or bring them on the Roost to fuck me up even more. Still, Toxic seems like my only chance here, and im not wasting it!

ILJ made the right move and sent Gliscor. Staying in would be pointless, so I send Gyara to dodge the Earthquake and retaliate with Waterfall or Ice Fang or even DD up.

syl switched in Gyarados.
Gyarados's intimidate cut Gliscor's attack!
Pointed stones dug into Gyarados.
Gyarados lost 25% of its health.
Gliscor used Toxic.
Gyarados was badly poisoned!
Gyarados is hurt by poison!
Gyarados lost 6% of its health.

- 68%
- 31% - Badly Poisoned

Good ridance. Gyarados is poisoned, and with the lack of leftovers he wont be doing a whole lot. Now im in another mind games position, and since bringing in Mence or Magnezone is completely out of the question, ill have to think between these 2 moves, Taunt or Roost. Taunt means he wont DD, and he auto loses the Gyarados, while I leave the war with around 50% my HP. Roost, on the other hand, means if he Waterfalls, im going to survive his attack, further hurting him with Toxic damage and LO recoil. Although Roost seems like a safe bet considering he still has a hidden pokemon, Taunt is the move im going with for the sole reason I cant let that thing get a DD up. I already have a plan which consists on Gyarados letting Magnezone getting a Sub up, which can only be achieved if I let Gliscor faint.

Crap, Gyarados gets poisoned. LO recoil + Toxic damage will kill me in two turns. Considering Gyara's short lifespan and the fact that Gliscor may very well Taunt me, I choose to attack.

Gliscor used Taunt.
Gyarados fell for the taunt!
Gyarados used Waterfall.
It's super effective!
Gliscor lost 68% of its health.
I Love Jun's Gliscor fainted.
Gyarados lost 10% of its health.
Gyarados is hurt by poison!
Gyarados lost 12% of its health.

(2-4 | Syl up)

- Fainted
- 9% - Badly Poisoned - Taunted

Well, another one bites the dust. Gliscor faints to that Gyarados, and that thing only has enough HP to hit one of my pokes. He doesnt have EQ on his last spot so my bet is Ice Fang. With that in mind, Mence is out of the question, meaning Magnezone's time to shine has begun! He still has a Lucario and a Gliscor, and a hidden pokemon. He only has enough power for an attack, which means he is obviously Waterfalling me since getting a DD up only means hes dying to poison. Man im glad I got that toxic in, lol. I still can kill one of his pokes when Gyara goes down, so im totally getting a sub up.

Gyarados gets his second kill in this match. Hurray for him! Gliscor faints and it's good news for my Lucario... except that ILJ has got another counter to it, a Salamence at full health. I don't have any idea what set he's running and that worries me a little. His Mence has been worrying me since I first saw it. Anyway, back to the point, let's see what he's gonna switch in.

Pointed stones dug into Magnezone.
Magnezone lost 6% of its health.

My only option is to Waterfall.

Gyarados used Waterfall.
Magnezone lost 57% of its health.
Gyarados lost 9% of its health.
syl's Gyarados fainted.
Magnezone used Substitute.
Magnezone lost 25% of its health.
Magnezone made a substitute!
(2-3 | Syl up)

- 16% - Substitute
- Fainted

Perfect! It worked nicely, which I am glad of. Hopefully he will bring that Gliscor now thinking it has done the job, since Lucario is too weak to hit Mence after Intimidate, and with some investement in Def I gave it, im sure I would win this game after getting a DD up.

Damn, this thing is that sturdy... Waterfall does 57% to Magnezone, which isn't nearly enough to prevent it from getting a Substitute up. Now who do I sac to break the Sub? I feel that right now Lucario is the least useful since he won't be able to SD up anytime soon and his -1 ES will manage a mere 40% against Salamence, that is, if it's an offensive Mence. Even worse Luke is set-up bait for Bulky DD Mence. My mind is set.

syl switched in Lucario.

But he brings in Lucario, another excellent move from Syl. Ill kill it when he breaks the sub, but im still worried about his last pokemon. Of course im not bringing Mence in, if I do, only thing I would get would be getting to like 70% while he brings in Gliscor or his secret poke to threaten me once again, and I seriously dont want that.

Lucario used Close Combat.
It's super effective!
The substitute took damage for Magnezone!
Magnezone's substitute faded!
Lucario's defence was lowered.
Lucario's special defence was lowered.
A critical hit!
Lucario lost 72% of its health.
syl's Lucario fainted.
(2-2 | Tie)

- 22%
- Fainted

I finish the Lucario and the score evens up finally, but he has the advantage here. If Gliscor comes in, I could bring in Mence, but that only means he wins if he uses Agility on the switch, since I bet Syl is thinking I will switch fearing Earthquake. Also lets not forget I havent revealed my last move, and considering how hastily I switched out from that Gliscor last time, he may be thinking I got HP Grass instead of Ice, so ill be testing my luck here, to hopefully kill the Gliscor and finish his last poke.

At this point my opponent tells me "gg". What? This can mean only one thing: his Magnezone doesn't have HP Ice and he is just giving up. I can send Gliscor, get an Agility and finish the job. Unless he is bluffing... No, he's not, he's an honest guy, remember, he told me the truth earlier and I didn't believe him.

syl switched in Gliscor.
Gliscor used Agility.
Gliscor's speed was sharply raised.
Magnezone used Hidden Power.
It's super effective!
Gliscor lost 56% of its health.
syl's Gliscor fainted.

(2-1 - reyscarface up)

- 28%
- Fainted

YES! It works nicely, which means im 1 step away from winning this game. For now, I cant do anything until I see his last, so please MTV, pimp my ri... wait thats from another show!

NO! As ILJ cockily says "that worked" I realize that this time he bluffed me, and I bought it. I still have my unrevealed Charge Beam Jolteon, so I send it.

syl switched in Jolteon.
Pointed stones dug into Jolteon.
Jolteon lost 12% of its health.

A Jolteon. From all 493 pokes in earth, it had to be the one that outspeeds Mence and OHKOs with HP Ice. Gah, there are many kind of Jolteons, if this is specs, maybe I can take a Thunderbolt with Mence, if it has HP Ice though im fucked. Maybe ill get a crit with HP Ice with Magnezone? Ill just hit that Jolteon since its basically the only thing I can do.

Jolteon carries HP Fighting because otherwise DD Tyranitar would easily set up on him and destroy my team. Right now this sucks because calcs show me that I can't OHKO his Mence with T-bolt, unless said Mence has a -SpDef nature. Magnezone might have Explosion so I'm just going to kill him.

Jolteon used Hidden Power.
It's super effective!
Magnezone lost 28% of its health.
I Love Jun's Magnezone fainted.
Jolteon lost 10% of its health.
(1-1 | Tie)

- Fainted
- 78%

HP... FIRE? GROUND? (He later said it was fighting, good idea since it beats up Tyranitar!) It is revealed that the Jolteon is a Life Orb variant. This means that Salamence has a chance of winning the game for me. He cant have HP Ice, which means his best bet is Thunderbolting me. Im not sure whether Mence survives this hit or not, specially after SR. Talking about SR... I think I finally understood why he used SR instead of hurting Zone with his Azelf, of course! It was so his last pokemon could finish the game, damn, way to think ahead of the game from Syl. Now only thing left is to hope, cmon Mence you can survive it!

Now that dreaded Mence that my opponent was safely keeping in its PokéBall is indeed going to seal my fate. Unless it is rash or naughty...

Salamence's intimidate cut Jolteon's attack!
Pointed stones dug into Salamence.
Salamence lost 25% of its health.
Jolteon used Thunderbolt.
Salamence lost 69% of its health.
Jolteon lost 10% of its health.
Salamence used Earthquake.
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
Jolteon lost 68% of its health.
syl's Jolteon fainted.
I Love Jun wins!

- 6%
- Fainted

Mence survives the hit with barely 6% of HP left. This was a very good game I deeply enjoyed! Good game, Syl!

Mence survives the hit and easily KOes me back. I Love Jun finally reveals me he is reyscarface. We had a very tense battle and the close score only reflects this. This was exciting to play. GG Rey!

I would only like to say a "prop" of this warstory to someone, and that person is Syl. If you paid attention carefully, you would have noticed that Syl runs a very very offensive team. "Hyper Offense" would be the correct words to describe it in my opinion, but as you can see, and differently from what most people think, he had a very original, well structured and succesful team. Agility Gliscor, Scarf Azelf lead, and a Jolteon to finish stuff after its weakened. After seeing this, I guess you guys cant say that every Hyper Offense team is a made team that has to be followed always!

Well I knew from the beginning that I was facing a well-known player and I wasn't disappointed. We had a fun, fast-paced, and exciting game. Rey sensed that he had to keep his Mence healthy during the whole match and that's basically what allowed him to win it. He has a very well structured team and I was never able to find a loophole and get a sweep despite having five sweepers in my team. Props to you Rey. Also, thanks for writing this warstory, commenting in it was very fun.

Thanks for reading, we hope you all enjoyed it, comments are appreciated, oh and Happy New Year!

Edit: Btw, I had a Life Orb on Salamence, which means the battle would end in a draw with in-game rules, which will be implemented in Shoddy Battle 2, so you could say this match wasnt won by me, but instead, a Draw.

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
YES! A good warstory in Stark, at just the right time. Fabulous as always Rey, I enjoy warstories much more when there are comments from both sides. The end of the match could have gone either way; I'm pretty sure that Joltoen is capable of dealing 75% damage to normal Mence with a Life Orb boosted Thunderbolt. Great match, great comments, nice easy-on-the-eyes format. 9.5 out of 10 for me! Both sides used pretty cool things; a Life Orb HP Fighting Jolteon and Scarfed Azelf by your opponent, while you used a Weavile (just for that I totally love you)! :D

EDIT: First reply! *does victory dance*

haunter

Banned deucer.
This obviously means Life Orb Gyarados, which tremendously troubles my team
Not always, I'm facing several wacan Gyarados lately, so when I don't see leftovers I don't always assume life orb.

Oh dear I cant believe it. He predicts my move again. He gets a good switchin again, and im in a tight position again.
lol, that was the most obvious thing ever.

I really liked reading this wastory as the battle was very interesting and the double commentary made it extremely nice to read. 5*!

great close battle comments form both sides where also very good and nice to see some unseen movesets for pokes being found and used

Wow, way to add ANOTHER subpar warstory to the barrage of those we've had recently. This battle sucked.

Just kidding. Loved the thought process explanation, and I really loved Syl's team.

Great Warstory. Comments were good i really like both your teams and kept me interested all throughout the end great read (:

the cursing after every move got a bit annoying, but otherwise it was a great warstory! nice battle, and props to syl for using unorthodox movesets to great sucess

Excellent match with good (although long x_x) comments from each side. Good format as well. I wouldn't be surprised if this match would be archived like with your last warstory.

Good job for breaking the streak of sub-par warstories lately. Enjoyed it!

Emmm... what's wrong with long commentaries ? I expect commentaries like this from good warstory.

Anyway - Good battle, great predictions (congratulations for working on that Magnezone bluff, it went perfectly) and that cocky play with Gyarados impressed me alot - I like ballsy playing, but I would switch out anyway :D. And commentary - I know everything that I want to know as reader - how you think, what you expect and the most important thing how you try to outsmart opponent. At last good warstory with exciting battle and really close ending. Also no game-breaking hax makes it even better. And Syl - you made some interesting movesets or skills choices. Agility Gliscor, Scarf Azelf, HP Fighting Jolteon. Congratulations guys, as I really enjoyed this one and thanks alot for good read. I wait for another ones of course ;). 9.5/10 as I expected that Salamence win in the end, making it a little bit less exciting, but it's totally minor thing, which doesn't change the fact that you guys did good job here. Cheers.

Nice war story. Those unorthodox sets were really something. The commentary was also enjoyable to read. 10/10 ^_^

Also, nice team rey ;)

the cursing after every move got a bit annoying, but otherwise it was a great warstory! nice battle, and props to syl for using unorthodox movesets to great sucess
This pretty much sums up my thoughts, the cursing was much too annoying. Took away from the comments, some I skipped over just because they started with a curse word. Good work on the predictions (lol @not seeing Gliscor coming) best warstory of 2010 so far :P

A great match and Rey did the gentlemanly thing and admit that it was a draw. I must try out some of these sets for myself.

It doesn't get much closer than that! Great warstory. The comments were really good and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

I thought the "gg trick" was a tiny bit dirty, but to each his own.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)