Shoddy Battle 2 screenshots (client preview)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cathy

Banned deucer.
Some people have been curious what the battle window will look like in Shoddy Battle 2, so bearzly and I decided to take several screenshots of it. These are actual screenshots, not mock ups, so the interface may change from this before the actual release of Shoddy Battle 2.

Note: Clocks have not been implemented yet, so you can ignore that part of the screenshots.

Edit Updated screenshot

Old versions:

Screenshot 1: Screenshot of a double battle.

Screenshot 2: Another screenshot of the same battle later on.

Screenshot 3: A singles battle.

Screenshot 4: This screenshot illustrates the targeting mechanism for n v. n (where n > 1).

As previously mentioned, Shoddy Battle 2 actually supports any n v. n, not just singles and doubles, but the interface for n > 2 is still under construction, so we have elected not to include a screenshot of it at this time.

The original timetable for release mentioned in the Shoddy Battle 2 (the future of Shoddy Battle) thread is still in play, so don't ask about release dates.

Comments on the interface are welcome.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yes Colin, this program is awesome. Seriously that is amazing, finally I will be able to get into double battles. Good practice if the pokemon vgc ever comes to oz.

cool screenshots colin. i'm glad such awesome progress is being made on this program. also i recommend you make use of hypnosis attack on crobat. this attack forces all of the enemy pokemon to carry lum berry/chesto berry/sleep talk if they want to have a chance at defeating crobat.

Nice! My only concern is that some of the fonts are a bit big, making it look cluttered; will there be an option to increase/decrease them? (Would be nice for accessibility, too.)

ETA: Never mind, they seem to be different based on OS... Still!

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Nice work guys.

I'm not overly keen on the HP bars in double battles.. but I guess it's something I'll get used to in time.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
It looks brilliant!
Larger buttons for quick/easy selection, very clean (though full) interface, chat/spectators not needing you to switch tabs.. :D

One thing I would suggest about it has already been suggested by Misaki. Though maybe being able to toggle between HP and % on your own bars somehow would be nice (even if its not on the battle screen).

also, noob Colin uses Dragonbreath Dialga.
don't kill me

Edit: Is the order of the clocks wrong? Its different from that in the spectator box and on the Pokemon screen.

Telling the truth is all, but the bold font and colors for the text actually makes it harder to read. I can't tell when anyone is talking or whether an action has been made just at a glance.

The simulator looks great though. Keep it up.

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
What do the Red, Green, and Yellow buttons on the top of the Battle window indicate?
You've never used a Mac before? They are close, minimize, and maximize buttons.

Anyways, I love the Platinum Champion background. Coolest background ever. Keep up the great work!

Wow, that's awesome. Is the background going to be changeable?

Anyway, a small suggestion. I'd make the window a bit wider, as the text in the 'log' sometimes overflows onto the next line, making it look untidy. For example:
Electivire used
Thunderpunch!

Tyranitar used Dragon
Dance!
It would look better if it stayed on one line.

Looking good guys!
One thing I'm not so sure about though is when it shows the exact HP lost--to me it seems easier to understand what's going on if it just tells you the percentage of HP lost. Or maybe if it displayed both percentage and exact HP lost with each move. Anyway, nice work.

bearzly

Shoddy Battle dev
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Nice! My only concern is that some of the fonts are a bit big, making it look cluttered; will there be an option to increase/decrease them? (Would be nice for accessibility, too.)

ETA: Never mind, they seem to be different based on OS... Still!
As we've mentioned before, everything can by styled using CSS style sheets, so you'll be able to adjust the font size however you like. About the OS thing, neither me nor Colin use Windows primarily. I have the windows 7 RC, so maybe I can fire that up and take a screenshot.

Nice work guys.

I'm not overly keen on the HP bars in double battles.. but I guess it's something I'll get used to in time.
I'm open for suggestion about what to do with the HP bars. The way that I put them doesn't take up any extra space and lets you see which bar corresponds to which pokemon, but if anyone has a better idea, I'd like to hear.

It looks brilliant!
Larger buttons for quick/easy selection, very clean (though full) interface, chat/spectators not needing you to switch tabs.. :D

One thing I would suggest about it has already been suggested by Misaki. Though maybe being able to toggle between HP and % on your own bars somehow would be nice (even if its not on the battle screen).

also, noob Colin uses Dragonbreath Dialga.
don't kill me

Edit: Is the order of the clocks wrong? Its different from that in the spectator box and on the Pokemon screen.
Seems like a good idea to let you click on the health bar to toggle between exact HP and percent. I just threw together both of our teams so we could test moves as they were implemented. We've got about 200 moves done, and in this case we were testing paralysis, hence Dragonbreath.

Telling the truth is all, but the bold font and colors for the text actually makes it harder to read. I can't tell when anyone is talking or whether an action has been made just at a glance.

The simulator looks great though. Keep it up.
As I mentioned above, you'll be able to change the style of the log as you please. I can play around with a bit - maybe make chat italic instead of bold in battles

Wow, that's awesome. Is the background going to be changeable?

Anyway, a small suggestion. I'd make the window a bit wider, as the text in the 'log' sometimes overflows onto the next line, making it look untidy. For example:
It would look better if it stayed on one line.
I might add more backgrounds. It's more work for little real gain, but it would be fun to have the option. The battle window can just be resized, but maybe the default should be a bit wider.

Looking good guys!
One thing I'm not so sure about though is when it shows the exact HP lost--to me it seems easier to understand what's going on if it just tells you the percentage of HP lost. Or maybe if it displayed both percentage and exact HP lost with each move. Anyway, nice work.
It'll probably be a preference that you'll be able to toggle somewhere

Thanks for the feedback/support, we'll probably post some screenshots of other things as their design gets finalised.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well, I just did a quick mock up in Paint (I don't have Photoshop at the moment :[).

This is what I was thinking of.. I think it looks a bit nicer, but I'm not the only judge here. It's basically the same, but the bars are seperate and show the Pokémon's name too.

Yeah I agree the bars are kind of clustered together in the double battle image. Nonetheless great job guys, looks sick.

Looks great so far; I agree about the HP bars thing but other than that this looks killer. By the way, do you have any screenshots of switching pokemon?

Also, am I the only one who felt like Electivire was screaming out his attacks Powerthirst style everytime I read the log? >_>

I like Havak's idea about the HP bars.

This is an... oddly specific question to ask, but would one be able to style the HP bars with CSS as well? *imagines all the fun she's going to have* I guess I'm asking, what are the HP bars actually made of? Images repeated over x amount of pixels, I'm assuming, in which case we'd be able to change the opacity/gradient/corners/border etc.? @_@

bearzly

Shoddy Battle dev
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Looks great so far; I agree about the HP bars thing but other than that this looks killer. By the way, do you have any screenshots of switching pokemon?

Also, am I the only one who felt like Electivire was screaming out his attacks Powerthirst style everytime I read the log? >_>
Switching is laid out in a similar fashion to the moves. I would post a screenshot, but they're still fairly basic and I plan on sprucing them up some more.

I like Havak's idea about the HP bars.

This is an... oddly specific question to ask, but would one be able to style the HP bars with CSS as well? *imagines all the fun she's going to have* I guess I'm asking, what are the HP bars actually made of? Images repeated over x amount of pixels, I'm assuming, in which case we'd be able to change the opacity/gradient/corners/border etc.? @_@
Unfortunately, the health bars aren't something that you can style (Java's CSS support probably isn't able to handle that stuff anyways)

Since several people seem to like Havak's suggestion, I'll see how I can try to move things around. Keep in mind that it can't take up more room than a 1v1 bar, so adding a name would mean that the bar would have to be less tall. Maybe a tooltip with the name would be better. I just tried spacing them out a bit here

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Colin and Bearzly Shoddy Battle 2 looks extremely beautiful. I'm sure this has been said before but the HP bars in Doubles looks a little awkward, but we can get used to it.

Thanks a ton.

I had some minor nitpicks with the placing of things, mainly that electivires foot was overlapping rampy's horn (@_@), the box showing the goings on in the battle has been enlarged and the names of the battlers (as well as there time limits) were placed in what I believe to be a more visually appealing and functional position.

(Other than that, amazing job guys, I can't wait for some ridiculous 6v6 .__.)

((And I gotta wonder, what would 6v6 look like?))

Oh wow this is awesome! This makes me can't wait for SB2 to be released even more! Awesome work guys! I also agree Misaki, the font is too big.

I would also like to say that this is going to be amazing/awesome/beast/etc.
Thanks for the time you guys put into Shoddy Battle.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It would be cool if the switching Pokémon screen had status, HP remaining, etc. on it. Otherwise, beautiful interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)