Simple Questions & Simple Answers & General Resources (OU Edition) MK II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just thought about this the other day:

Can Effect Spore break Sleep Clause? Say you have already Spore'd an opponent's Poke with your Amoonguss, but you aren't running Regenerator, and the opponent activates Effect Spore with another Poke. Will they go to sleep, or is that breaking the clause?

I just thought about this the other day:

Can Effect Spore break Sleep Clause? Say you have already Spore'd an opponent's Poke with your Amoonguss, but you aren't running Regenerator, and the opponent activates Effect Spore with another Poke. Will they go to sleep, or is that breaking the clause?
Interestingly the current clause rules say nothing about this situation.

However, the wording of the clause seems to allow it:

You lose if, at the end of your turn, two of your opponent's Pokemon were put to sleep by a move you used but were not forced into, and neither have had their sleep removed since then.

Since effect spore sleep is not a move, it is then ok I believe, although I have yet to see this situation on the ladder.

Ive been trying to make a sun team, and im still in search of the perfect chlorophyll abuser for my team. Ive been trying exeggutor, and he does fantastic until a scarfer pops up. Despite the sheer power and wonderful coverage, the speed always seems to be a problem. Is there another chlorophyll abuser who has equal or greater coverage (especially if it can run a mixed set), better speed, decent bulk, and enough strength to break down teams in the sun (better if it can be done right off the bat)? If not, is there an alternate spread for exeggutor that allows me to outspeed pokemon like naive scarfmence while retaining enough power to still hit thing hard with psychic and have ensured kos with hidden power fire and wood hammer and nature power?

Ive been trying to make a sun team, and im still in search of the perfect chlorophyll abuser for my team. Ive been trying exeggutor, and he does fantastic until a scarfer pops up. Despite the sheer power and wonderful coverage, the speed always seems to be a problem. Is there another chlorophyll abuser who has equal or greater coverage (especially if it can run a mixed set), better speed, decent bulk, and enough strength to break down teams in the sun (better if it can be done right off the bat)? If not, is there an alternate spread for exeggutor that allows me to outspeed pokemon like naive scarfmence while retaining enough power to still hit thing hard with psychic and have ensured kos with hidden power fire and wood hammer and nature power?
I'm new and still learn but Venusaur is probably the best chlorophyll (I think). Under the sun it reaches 696 speed with Max+. The main threat you would have to deal is scizor due to bullet punch. If i missed anything someone could fill in/correct me

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
there is only one real chlorophyll sweeper in OU - venusaur, preferably with enough speed to outrun scarf 110s (this does not require maximum speed but it does require a timid nature). out of all the standard growth chloro sweepers, venusaur has the best bulk and speed with which to pull it off. generally other chloro sweepers are only worth using if you're already using venusaur and want to do some kind of chlorophyll spam team (not sure how viable this is atm although it was a fun gimmick in BW1, just slap 3 chloro and go). you shouldn't even be running exegg unless it's as a wallbreaker to break through for venusaur (this was explored a bit in BW1, idk about now).

I'm new and still learn but Venusaur is probably the best chlorophyll (I think). Under the sun it reaches 696 speed with Max+. The main threat you would have to deal is scizor due to bullet punch. If i missed anything someone could fill in/correct me
there is only one real chlorophyll sweeper in OU - venusaur, preferably with enough speed to outrun scarf 110s (this does not require maximum speed but it does require a timid nature). out of all the standard growth chloro sweepers, venusaur has the best bulk and speed with which to pull it off. generally other chloro sweepers are only worth using if you're already using venusaur and want to do some kind of chlorophyll spam team (not sure how viable this is atm although it was a fun gimmick in BW1, just slap 3 chloro and go). you shouldn't even be running exegg unless it's as a wallbreaker to break through for venusaur (this was explored a bit in BW1, idk about now).
Ah thanks. I didnt realize venusaur was the best even though he was obviously in ou *facepalm*. what would be the most viable set atm? I dont want to end up getting walled by something. Would a specially based set with earthquake work? And is it mandatory to have growth on it?

LilOu

PO poopyhead
Hey HotColdYay c:

Well, Victreebel is an option with this stats:

HP: 80
Attack: 105
Defense: 65
S. Attack: 100
S. Defense: 60
Speed: 70

He is not as bulky as Venusaur (80, 83, 100) but is better as a Mixed Sweeper. Victree has also access to Weather Ball as his fire-type attack in sun. Also, he reaches 524 Speed with Naive and 252 EVs. That's enough to outspeed every scarfer that has less than 110 Base speed (named Scarf Latios and others such as Jolteon, Zebstrika, Tornadus-T, etc, which are not commonly seen). With this you can run a mixed set that im just creating right now.

Victreebel @Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
Naive Nature
128 Atk / 128 SAtk / 252 Spe
-Weather Ball
-Leaf Blade / Solarbeam
-Growth
-Sludge Bomb / Return

Who will be the next suspects after Keldeo and Torn-T? Or has this been undecided as of right now?
Hey HotColdYay c:

Well, Victreebel is an option with this stats:

HP: 80
Attack: 105
Defense: 65
S. Attack: 100
S. Defense: 60
Speed: 70

He is not as bulky as Venusaur (80, 83, 100) but is better as a Mixed Sweeper. Victree has also access to Weather Ball as his fire-type attack in sun. Also, he reaches 524 Speed with Naive and 252 EVs. That's enough to outspeed every scarfer that has less than 110 Base speed (named Scarf Latios and others such as Jolteon, Zebstrika, Tornadus-T, etc, which are not commonly seen). With this you can run a mixed set that im just creating right now.

Victreebel @Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
Naive Nature
128 Atk / 128 SAtk / 252 Spe
-Weather Ball
-Leaf Blade / Solarbeam
-Growth
-Sludge Bomb / Return
I think ill try that out. i remember seeing something like this on the analysis page so ill chck that out. Thanks :)

Is it recommended to run growth, or can it be replaced with sleep powder?

And whats the best way to deal with heatran and dugtrio on opposing teams when using a sun team? I find myself often trapped or walled by these two, mostly by heatran, lesser so by duggy.

Victreebel has a very difficult time setting up a Growth due to its abysmal bulk. Sleep Powder is normally the better option, but why not simply use Venusaur? It's faster than Victreebel, noticeably bulkier which means that it can get a Growth off in the first place, and the slight power difference barely matters when Venusaur gets to +2. If you're walled by Heatran, you can always run EQ on Venusaur, or pack a Dragon such as Hydreigon or Garchomp that do well in sun and have moves that can OHKO Heatran. Alternatively, you can slap HP Ground on Pokemon such as Ninetales and Volcarona

LilOu

PO poopyhead
Who will be the next suspects after Keldeo and Torn-T? Or has this been undecided as of right now?
After the Gene suspect, Keldeo and Tornadus-T came to another supect.
Once this finishes i think that there is not going to be another one for a while.

Victreebel has a very difficult time setting up a Growth due to its abysmal bulk. Sleep Powder is normally the better option, but why not simply use Venusaur? It's faster than Victreebel, noticeably bulkier which means that it can get a Growth off in the first place, and the slight power difference barely matters when Venusaur gets to +2. If you're walled by Heatran, you can always run EQ on Venusaur, or pack a Dragon such as Hydreigon or Garchomp that do well in sun and have moves that can OHKO Heatran. Alternatively, you can slap HP Ground on Pokemon such as Ninetales and Volcarona
Alright, ill give special-saur a try. Ive packed a final gambit victini and moxie scarfmence to help kill off heatran and other troublesome things. As for scarfmence, if i plan on making it all physical, what moveset should i give it for sun team? Or is that a bad idea?

LilOu

PO poopyhead
Alright, ill give special-saur a try. Ive packed a final gambit victini and moxie scarfmence to help kill off heatran and other troublesome things. As for scarfmence, if i plan on making it all physical, what moveset should i give it for sun team? Or is that a bad idea?
If you are running Scarfmence you need a moveset like outrage, earthquake (for heatran), fire blast and dragon claw if you dont want to get trapped when you dont need to. With fire blast in sun you can deal very nice with scarmory.

Now, you must br careful with the omnipresent scarf keldeo because once you used outrage your opponent can death fodder something and then revnge kill your mence with hp ice, and there goes your scarfer.

What is the optimal EV spread / moveset for Volcarona on a sun team? Is the bulky spread listed in the analysis still it's best set, or has it become obsolete since BW2?

LilOu

PO poopyhead
What is the optimal EV spread / moveset for Volcarona on a sun team? Is the bulky spread listed in the analysis still it's best set, or has it become obsolete since BW2?
You have two options, the bulky one and the chestp resto (i like it a lot)
With the chesto you can set up while other pokemons try to paralyzee you, toxic and slowly damage you. Once you get enough quivers to sweep just rest and bye bye stats, you recover all your health and you are ready to sweep.

Here you find some sets including te one i said:

If your team has ways past Hetran, it I'd pretty good, except maybe roost > morning sun

I personally prefer a 252 spa / 252+ spe with qd/fblast/bug buzz. Last move is either hp ground (heatran) or giga drain (fucks rain teams in the ass + good recovery)

If your team has ways past Hetran, it I'd pretty good, except maybe roost > morning sun

I personally prefer a 252 spa / 252+ spe with qd/fblast/bug buzz. Last move is either hp ground (heatran) or giga drain (fucks rain teams in the ass + good recovery)
Okay, I like this set. What would you recommend for an item? Life for power, or leftovers for bulk?

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
@Takion:

I would say zero. Walling isn't really important when you just want to apply as much offensive pressure as possible. However, bulky offensive Pokemon like Special Defensive Rotom-W can still work (since VSwitch provides offensive momentum and has strong STABs vs. Rain); it really depends on the team.

Back to your question: Heavy Offense does not need any tanks.

@Rapidchimpmunk:

The item you use on Volcarona heavily depends if LO nets you any additional notible KOs (sorry to say I can't confirm since I don't use it much) or if you like lefties. If I were using Rona I'd go with lefties to abuse the bulk of QD; the power of set up and it's natural STABs should be threatening enough. However, its really a personal preference. With QD sweeping, your opponent can LO stall you, but LO also cough up more damage vs. the opponent so it really depends on you. GL

The current spread is fine for bulky booster. But i tend to use 144 hp/252 def/112 spe, bold nature, lefties, same moves. I remember seeing this somewhere on smogon in the analysis area... Anyway, with this spread, the physical bulk is better, the hp lets you go into rocks twice before dying, and after one quiver dance, you outspeed all non scarfed positive natured base 130 speed pokemon.

I keep on seeing defensive Politoeds (they aren't scarfed or specs because they do pathetic damage) running around without leftovers and with some other item that I can't identify. Does anyone know what they heck are they using? Maybe chesto-rest, but I have yet to see any politoed do that. I am not worried about it, but its just dam odd.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Some users use Water Gem to bluff Choice Specs....? Possibly they're using a choice'd item (scarf or specs) or they are simply newer players using random items like Wacan Berry.

@Takion:

I would say zero. Walling isn't really important when you just want to apply as much offensive pressure as possible. However, bulky offensive Pokemon like Special Defensive Rotom-W can still work (since VSwitch provides offensive momentum and has strong STABs vs. Rain); it really depends on the team.

Back to your question: Heavy Offense does not need any tanks.
Thanks mate!

What about supporters? For example, speedy spiking with deoxy-d?

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
I would call Deo-D a Lead, which are common for every playstyle, rather than a supporter. Fast hazards can be found on suicide leads too (common on HO in BW1, BW2 has lowered their usage though) Examples of such are SashSR Azelf, SashMamo, SashAerodactyl, etc.

Supporters to me rhymes with Teammates. Your teammates job are to support the team in anyway they can (late game sweeping, revenge killing, hazard stacking, gluing, etc.). The type of support varies whether you play offense or defense though, so instead of using Bronzong for SR (which walls and doesn't offer much offense; UNLESS your using TR?!?) you would use SashLead Terrakion or Offensive Jirachi depending on what your team needs (steel resist vs. terrakions utility).

Hope I helped!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)