Simple Questions & Simple Answers & General Resources (OU Edition) MK II

Status
Not open for further replies.
If i wanted to use electrode in ou for fun, would this set be viable or at least be usable, despite jolteon being a better pick?

Electrode @Life Orb
Timid, 28 HP/252 SpA/228 Spe, Aftermath (even with static, priority attackers can still get ahead, and if he gets killed, i thought 25% extra damage could really hurt more than just paralyzation, correct me if im wrong)
-Thunderbolt (or Thunder if I'm moving it to my rain team)
-Hidden Power Ice
-Foul Play
-Volt Switch

And is the ev spread and moveset ok? Ive been thinking of moving the hp evs to def since that stat is lower, but idk. Also, i didnt think signal beam was too important since foul play could hurt latios, latias, celebi, and alakazam better (correct me if im wrong again).

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Timid lowers Foul Play's power js Run enough speed to get the jump on base 121 (for Torn-T and Duggy). Don't use him much.... GL!

I have a question about 2 UU pokemon which could be used in OU

Azelf:

Azelf itself is like a more offensive Nasty Plot Mew and it sits in a very good speed mark. With the less and less appearing tyranitars it seems like a valid choice. Any opinion? And if you agree, which moveset / ev's do you suggest?

Raikou:

It is fast and has good special defense and that flying resist. Should be able to check both thundurus and birdie.
If you agree, which moveset/ ev's do you suggest?

LilOu

PO poopyhead
I have a question about 2 UU pokemon which could be used in OU

Azelf:

Azelf itself is like a more offensive Nasty Plot Mew and it sits in a very good speed mark. With the less and less appearing tyranitars it seems like a valid choice. Any opinion? And if you agree, which moveset / ev's do you suggest?

Raikou:

It is fast and has good special defense and that flying resist. Should be able to check both thundurus and birdie.
Well, i dont really like azelf because his poor bulk and his non access to fighting type moves except detect. Mew doesnt have his speed or special attack, but has aura sphere and an infinite movepool. Anyways, Azelf gets wrecked by priority moves like Breloom's mach punch or Scizor's bullet punch. Right here some calcs.

252 +2 Atk Fighting Gem Technician Breloom (+Atk) Mach Punch vs 0 HP/0 Def Azelf: 74.23% - 87.63% - 2 hits to KO
252 Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor (+Atk) Bullet Punch vs 0 HP/0 Def Azelf: 74.57% - 87.97% - 2 hits to KO
252 +2 Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor (+Atk) Bullet Punch vs 0 HP/0 Def Azelf: 128.87% - 151.89% - Guaranteed OHKO

Talking about Raikou, yeah, it might work with an appropriate team. I recommend the CM set.

Raikou @ Life Orb
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spe / 4SDef
Timid nature
-Calm Mind
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power [Ice or Fighting]
-Shadow Ball

Hope i helped!

252 +2 Atk Fighting Gem Technician Breloom (+Atk) Mach Punch vs 0 HP/0 Def Azelf: 74.23% - 87.63% - 2 hits to KO
No one uses Fighting Gem so thats pretty irreverent, a healthy Azelf can revenge kill Breloom quite easily. Also if you're going to run Raikou in OU I recommend using Aura Sphere due to the abundance of Steel types in OU compared to UU.

No one uses Fighting Gem so thats pretty irreverent, a healthy Azelf can revenge kill Breloom quite easily. Also if you're going to run Raikou in OU I recommend using Aura Sphere due to the abundance of Steel types in OU compared to UU.
Actually, fighting gem is a somewhat common set.

Nonetheless, unless it has taken a good bit of residual damage (keep it healthy) azelf should perform fine.

If you are aiming to check the two, I recommend a scarf set so as to switch in and outspeed (possibly unexpectedly as tornadus u-turns):

Raikou @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Rash Nature
- Aura Sphere
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch/Weather Ball
- Thunderbolt

What are the best counters to terrakion? I always find myself either relying on a scarfer or getting lucky on burning it in order to get around it.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What are the best counters to terrakion? I always find myself either relying on a scarfer or getting lucky on burning it in order to get around it.
Defensive Gliscor and defensive Hippowdown are your best bets. With a 252 HP / 252 Def + spread both Pokemon can take hits from it all day. Gliscor counters the CB set too but has a chance of failing against SD variants as it can't OHKO a completely healthy Terrakion (Terrakion takes a min of 75% from EQ) while getting 2HKOed at +2. Hippo on the other hand completely walls SD versions but has a chance of getting 2HKOed by the CB variant when coming into Close Combat after SR. But in general both of those Pokemon will manage to keep your team safe from Terrakion 90% of the time. Slowbro works too as Terrakion's only way of getting past it is with a +2 Rock Gem Stone Edge in sand after SR, so it makes for a very good counter.

That is completely a game of prediction. Many times, the switch to gengar will be best, especially considering the influx of bulky starmie which means:

252 SpAtk Starmie Hydro Pump vs 0 HP/0 SpDef Gengar: 79.69% - 94.25%
2 hits to KO (with Leftovers)

So it is the safest move generally.

If you want extra reassurance though (in case something goes wrong), consider running a pursuit trapper to trap starmie (preferably one faster such as weavile) so that even if gengar dies, it will still have been the best option, easing prediction a ton.
That helps lots thank you!

Another Question: Is it safe to assume that any sweeper slower than Tornadus-T will most likely be scarfed? That is Terrakion, Garchomp, etc?

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
That would depend on the team in question an which Pokemon you're reffering to.

Terrakion's most common sets are SashSR and SubSalac so the Scarfers are a bit more rare; however, its always best to scout first and see how your opponent plays to see what set it is.

Keldeo's most common set is scarfer so it's pretty much safe to assume Scarfer there unelss you see LO or Lefties. (LO super uncommon tbh). Garchomp can also be many things so the key is to scout.

If you feel that your Tornadus-T is threatened by these possible Scarfers you could always add Protect if your using the LO set. GL!

LilOu

PO poopyhead
Shokwav, Fighting gem is common and if you use Aura Sphere on Raikou you MUST RUN A RASH NATURE lowering your Special Bulk and thus he is not going to handle tornadus and thundurus that good.

I thing that one of the best terrakion's counter is Landorus-T. He can switch in to all his sets except the Hp ice one that hopefully doesn't exists. Once you intimidated it you take very little damage from Close Combat and not to much from Stone Edge. Here some calcs:

Standard set (200 HP / 244 Def, Adamant nature)
252 -1 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Close Combat vs 200 HP/244 Def Landorus-T: 22.49% - 26.56%
5-6 hits to KO (with Leftovers)
252 -1 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Stone Edge vs 200 HP/244 Def Landorus-T: 37.67% - 44.72%

Full Defense set (252 HP / 252 Def, Impish)
252 -1 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Stone Edge vs 252 HP/252 Def Landorus-T (+Def) : 33.25% - 39.27%
252 -1 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Close Combat vs 252 HP/252 Def Landorus-T (+Def) : 19.63% - 23.3%
6-8 hits to KO (with Leftovers)

LilOu

PO poopyhead
Since we were talking about Raikou a couple posts up, how viable would Weather Ball Raikou with an Abomasnow would be?
If you want to use Weather ball or Aura Sphere on raikou you have to use Rash nature. This is because there was an event where a Rash raikou was sent to HG SS games using the mystery gift.

Using a rash nature is bad in my opinion because he has 100 Special Defense that really helps with tornadus-T and thundurus so i would not use a rash :C

I don't see the -SpD nature as a something so bad, given Raikou is still bulky and has good resistances to Thundurus' and Tornadus' main STAB, but Rash means you're sitting just 1 speed point over positive positive nature 100, thus being outsped by Garchomp, Landorus, ponies and anything between 101 and 115 speed, which is the major part of the offensive meta nowadays.

LilOu

PO poopyhead
I don't see the -SpD nature as a something so bad, given Raikou is still bulky and has good resistances to Thundurus' and Tornadus' main STAB, but Rash means you're sitting just 1 speed point over positive positive nature 100, thus being outsped by Garchomp, Landorus, ponies and anything between 101 and 115 speed, which is the major part of the offensive meta nowadays.
If you use a nature that doesnt make you be faster, Latios, Keldeo, Terrakion, Latias, Durant, Infernape, Gengar, Garchomp, Landorus, Thundurus, Tornadus-I and other stuff will outspeed you. So...why are you using raikou? He is nice because of his speed tier.

EDIT:

That's what I said: the major problem with Rash nature isn't the -SpD but the fact you can't outspeed the major part of the offensive meta.
Yeah, sorry but you were contradicting yourself a bit. In that case, Thundurus works better and he has volt absorb

If you use a nature that doesnt make you be faster, Latios, Keldeo, Terrakion, Latias, Durant, Infernape, Gengar, Garchomp, Landorus, Thundurus, Tornadus-I and other stuff will outspeed you. So...why are you using raikou? He is nice because of his speed tier.
That's what I said: the major problem with Rash nature isn't the -SpD but the fact you can't outspeed the major part of the offensive meta.

Speaking of rash nature, is that viable on thundy t for agility?

Thundurus-T @Life Orb
Rash
68 Atk/ 252 SpA/ 188 Spe
-Agility
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power Ice
-Superpower

Speaking of rash nature, is that viable on thundy t for agility?

Thundurus-T @Life Orb
Rash
68 Atk/ 252 SpA/ 188 Spe
-Agility
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power Ice
-Superpower
If you aren't going for the full 101 speed, then there is no point in going for +speed nature (in this case), so rash would be optimal for most power (especially lacking thunder)

@hotcoldyay

If you want to run that EV Spread so be it. Just be wary of what your Thundy-T can no longer outrun. I shall take the time and do it for you ;)

With your investments, you hit 285. That ties up with Neutral Nature Haxorus and outspeeds Jolly Dragonite+Mamoswine.
However if you go 188 Spe investments and a Speed Boosting Nature, you will hit 313.
That speed level allows you to outspeed Jirachi and Zapdos running 176 Spe EVs...these are really strange Pokemon with strange investments....
A little more helpful benchmark is probably the fact that you can outspeed Neutral Natured max Speed invested Volcarona, Salamence and Jirachi.

Now if you get an Agility(With Rash), you will hit 570. You will be able to outspeed a +2 Lucario with an Adamant Nature. If you run a Speed boosting nature you hit 626. This allows you to outrun Ninjask...which is kinda pathetic...
Just know that any natured base 108 Pokemon at +2 Spe will outspeed you regardless of your nature because of how much Speed EVs you put in.

Overall, I'd go with Rash if I were you.
GL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)