Simple Questions & Simple Answers & General Resources (OU Edition) MK II

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGMD

ƧÏÐÈ¥¯ÏĈ¼Á°¿±³´µ¶·¸¹º»ŤûŠť²ØéŋŌ
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok, I want to know which Pokemon can work well with Toxicroak on a Rain team, it's the LO set btw. Have been having problems with Jirachi since it doesnt have SD :/ Any suggs are welcome
Politoed obviously, as rain gives Toxicroak 1/8th of its health back every turn. Scarf Gothitelle can remove almost all of Toxicroak counters (Skarmory, Hippowdon, fast Gliscor, fast Landorus-T, Jellicent, Landorus-I, etc) with a moveset of Psyshock / Thunderbolt / Hidden Power [Ice] / Trick making it an amazing Toxicroak partner. Neither of these partners help too much with Jirachi, but as Tabuu mentioned Garchomp is a great answer to Jirachi and it provides some nice offensive presence and gives you a secondary sweeper.

Well, im gonna use the SD set since it has the power I have been lacking in recent matches. Gothitelle also caught my interest since I used it in a past team with great results, maybe it can even shut down a wall with Trick.

About Jirachi, im gonna stick with what Tabuu said since I need a physical defender and someone who can get SR up. Well, Im gonna do team before I forget.

Thanks for the helpful advice everyone, I really appreciate it :D

@Tabuu: One Piece 4ever!!!

Weren't you the one rambling about this on PS? Like I said on there you never run Fire-types in the rain, it's redundant. Therefore, Heatran has no purpose on this team, "CM4Attack" makes no sense, Keldeo is a better scarfer than Dragonite on rain teams (usually, bulky Dnite fares much better as it doesn't have to worry about Sand/Hail breaking Multiscale and can Hurricane away), and you might as well be running Tornadus-t, because you're only handicapping yourself if you're not using the uber-bound bird on non-stall rain teams.

Rain teams in general struggle with Jirachi, however it shouldn't be too big a problem for Toxicroak. Any reason you don't run the SD variant?

252Atk Life Orb +2 Toxicroak (Neutral) Drain Punch vs 252HP/0Def Leftovers Jirachi (+Def): 62% - 73% (253 - 297 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

Edit: Dammit Tabuu. D:
It might have been me if it was weeks ago, although I never even use PS anyway, so that's kinda a thing. AS FOR EACH POINT:
EDIT: Could not have been me, I've not been on the PS chat in literally weeks, and new stats came out yesterday? I made this team in like 3 minutes, literally, right after they came out. You have me mistaken with another.

1. For the Jirachi, I made a typo. It was supposed to be CM 3 Attacks. Sorry about that.
2. As per my PREVIOUS reply, I said that I originally had it as a CB, but got no answer as to whether or not it would be worth it to have two banded pokes.
3. I may end up changing Heatran to Tornadus-T, however, I also may not.
4. KELDEO IS OUT OF THE QUESTION AS I PREVIOUSLY STATED THAT I'VE NEVER SEEN IT DO ANYTHING.

2. As per my PREVIOUS reply, I said that I originally had it as a CB, but got no answer as to whether or not it would be worth it to have two banded pokes.
Eh I wouldn't use 2 banded pokes, though that's just preference (I've used teams with a Choice Band + Specs + Scarf user with success).

3. I may end up changing Heatran to Tornadus-T, however, I also may not.
No reason not to.

4. KELDEO IS OUT OF THE QUESTION AS I PREVIOUSLY STATED THAT I'VE NEVER SEEN IT DO ANYTHING.
wut? Keldeo is one of the main offensive behemothes on rain teams. It's a suspect for a reason; it hits hard, it's fast, and it's rather bulky. It just brings so much to the table it's hard not to just slap it on.

Well, im gonna use the SD set since it has the power I have been lacking in recent matches. Gothitelle also caught my interest since I used it in a past team with great results, maybe it can even shut down a wall with Trick.

About Jirachi, im gonna stick with what Tabuu said since I need a physical defender and someone who can get SR up. Well, Im gonna do team before I forget.

Thanks for the helpful advice everyone, I really appreciate it :D

@Tabuu: One Piece 4ever!!!
I'm glad I was really able to help you out. Team building isn't always easy at first and sometimes it actually requires a bit of thought+trial-and-error processes.
Anyways, Welcome to Smogon man :D

This either means:
1.) I've never seen Keldeo in action.
2.) I've never seen Keldeo actually being useful.

I really hope it's #1.
Keldeo is able to threaten a hell of a lot Pokemon in Rain with a Scarf alone. In some aspects Scarfed Keldeo is actually scarier than Scarfed Terrakion. (Resisted Priority moves, excellent STABs just like Terrakion, Rain-Boosted Moves, Better Defensive Typing)
If you think Keldeo isn't any good, what's Terrakion? Hopefully you recognize Terrakion as a huge threat.
Keldeo with Scarf in the Rain is definitely up there. Even outside of Rain (and Obviously outta Sun), Keldeo is still a threat to many individuals and Pokemon Teams.

Please provide some calcs and facts as to how Keldeo is not threatening...

LilOu

PO poopyhead
LOL ok, ill provide some calcs because i can see everybody with suicide intentions, so..

252 SpAtk Keldeo-R Hydro Pump vs 0 HP/0 SpDef Tornadus-T (-SpDef) : 79.26% - 93.65%
2 hits to KO
252 SpAtk Keldeo-R Surf vs 0 HP/0 SpDef Tornadus-T (-SpDef) : 93.65% - 110.7%
62.5% chance to OHKO with rain
252 SpAtk Keldeo-R Hydro Pump vs 252 HP/252 SpDef Jirachi (+SpDef) : 51.98% - 61.14%
2-3 hits to KO (with Leftovers) with rain
252 SpAtk Keldeo-R Hydro Pump vs 0 HP/0 SpDef Thundurus-T: 78.6% - 92.64%
2 hits to KO
252 SpAtk Keldeo-R Secret Sword vs 252 HP/252 Def Eviolite Chansey (+Def) : 52.41% - 61.79%
2 hits to KO

I think that this is enough c: Once the opponent team is weakened, either with residual damage or with your own pokes attacks, keldeo is able to sweep (remember to remove keldeo's counters first such as celebi, latios, latias, jelli, etc...)

This either means:
1.) I've never seen Keldeo in action.
2.) I've never seen Keldeo actually being useful.

I really hope it's #1.
If you think Keldeo isn't any good, what's Terrakion? Hopefully you recognize Terrakion as a huge threat.
Keldeo with Scarf in the Rain is definitely up there. Even outside of Rain (and Obviously outta Sun), Keldeo is still a threat to many individuals and Pokemon Teams.

Please provide some calcs and facts as to how Keldeo is not threatening...
I didn't say it wasn't threatening, I've just said I haven't ever seen it do anything. I've never seen someone play it well, most of the usage I've seen, it comes in, kills one thing, and dies. :/ I know that in theory it's good, but until I see it used well, I can't exactly make an informed decision on whether or not I can use it. And I'm not a newbie, I recognize Terrakion as a threat, and I know that Keldeo can potentially be a threat, but I just haven't ever seen it do anything but come in, kill something, and die. I'm a person who learns by seeing, and not seeing it used well doesn't make it at all appealing to me.

I didn't say it wasn't threatening, I've just said I haven't ever seen it do anything. I've never seen someone play it well, most of the usage I've seen, it comes in, kills one thing, and dies. :/ I know that in theory it's good, but until I see it used well, I can't exactly make an informed decision on whether or not I can use it. And I'm not a newbie, I recognize Terrakion as a threat, and I know that Keldeo can potentially be a threat, but I just haven't ever seen it do anything but come in, kill something, and die. I'm a person who learns by seeing, and not seeing it used well doesn't make it at all appealing to me.
js, unless it is between two good battlers, PS ladder battles are usually bad evidence of what a mon can do.

@PellOfTheTundra
Alright. I guess I shouldn't have assumed such a position. My bad on that part.
However, if you understand my Terrakion analogy, you should realize that he is very dangerous...Keldeo is just kinda like the Special Version of Terrakion...with a bit more advantages.

And also Ningildo stated a very true point. PS Ladder battles aren't accurate representations of what a Pokemon is capable of. Tournaments and Pros show are able to showcase are probably one of the more accurate representations of a Pokemon's ability.

js, unless it is between two good battlers, PS ladder battles are usually bad evidence of what a mon can do.
I don't use PS.

@PellOfTheTundra
Alright. I guess I shouldn't have assumed such a position. My bad on that part.
However, if you understand my Terrakion analogy, you should realize that he is very dangerous...Keldeo is just kinda like the Special Version of Terrakion...with a bit more advantages.

And also Ningildo stated a very true point. PS Ladder battles aren't accurate representations of what a Pokemon is capable of. Tournaments and Pros show are able to showcase are probably one of the more accurate representations of a Pokemon's ability.
I don't use PS. And I know how it looks on paper, but I just cannot use something that I haven't seen do well.

I don't use PS.

I don't use PS. And I know how it looks on paper, but I just cannot use something that I haven't seen do well.
Scarf Keldeo is absolutely beastly. Give it a shot. T Tar is one of its best partners as it can check Lati@s, Celebi, etc.

Edit: I see you don't use PS. Any reason you don't?

Scarf Keldeo is absolutely beastly. Give it a shot. T Tar is one of its best partners as it can check Lati@s, Celebi, etc.

Edit: I see you don't use PS. Any reason you don't?
I am not a fan of simulators and the teambuilder is just not a friendly as POs was, and I don't even use PO anymore because the tiers are jacked up. It's all one big cycle that turns me away from simulators.

I am not a fan of simulators and the teambuilder is just not a friendly as POs was, and I don't even use PO anymore because the tiers are jacked up. It's all one big cycle that turns me away from simulators.
Just do what I do and use PO's teambuilder. Afterwards, click "Team" then "Export Team" and it'll bring up a text file with your team. Copy this and then paste it into Showdown's "Import from "PO" option.

Can anyone tell me the formula to find a pokemon's actual stats based on their base stats and evs? (Both the formulas for hp and all other stats).

This may sound stupid but , why there is no paralyzes clause? , i had matches were the opponent keeps spamming thunder wave >.>

i'm scared to ask this for fear of being gutted apart, but here goes.

I'm currently running a Modest Hydreigon with the moves, Fire Blast, Dark Pulse, Earth Power ( I have No luck with Focus Blast hence why I don't use it) and Draco Meteor, but I don't know what hold item to give it, while I did base it off the choice specs build, I'd prefer not to lock it down as it's moves and coverage are quite powerful.

Granted I already have two other pokemon on my team packing Life Orbs and I don't want to have a third one so what other hold items could I give it?

I'm torn between Dragon Gem (to power up Draco Meteor) White Herb (To use Draco Meteor Twice) , Chopple Berry (since I seem to run into trouble with fighting types while using this thing.) and Yache Berry (temporal ice block) but i'm not even sure if one use items are the way to go.

I need some advice on what to give it to hold.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
i'm scared to ask this for fear of being gutted apart, but here goes.

I'm currently running a Modest Hydreigon with the moves, Fire Blast, Dark Pulse, Earth Power ( I have No luck with Focus Blast hence why I don't use it) and Draco Meteor, but I don't know what hold item to give it, while I did base it off the choice specs build, I'd prefer not to lock it down as it's moves and coverage are quite powerful.

Granted I already have two other pokemon on my team packing Life Orbs and I don't want to have a third one so what other hold items could I give it?

I'm torn between Dragon Gem (to power up Draco Meteor) White Herb (To use Draco Meteor Twice) , Chopple Berry (since I seem to run into trouble with fighting types while using this thing.) and Yache Berry (temporal ice block) but i'm not even sure if one use items are the way to go.

I need some advice on what to give it to hold.
What about Expert Belt? You can fake a choice set and slam the steel type (assuming you use Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse or something) and slam the incoming Steel type with a supereffective Fire Blast. Maybe Superpower>Earth Power, as for better wallbreaking prowess but up to you.

What about Expert Belt? You can fake a choice set and slam the steel type (assuming you use Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse or something) and slam the incoming Steel type with a supereffective Fire Blast. Maybe Superpower>Earth Power, as for better wallbreaking prowess but up to you.
Well I did Try Superpower once on a different build, it didn't exactly kill Blissey (after slamming it upon entry with a critical hit Draco Meteor) making me wonder if it was necessary to use it that way.

I don't mind testing Superpower again but I would need a decent build to do so, though i'm scared to ask about that too, cause i get this feeling people here are going to use chainsaws on me.

@Scorpiopt
The reason why there is no Paralysis Clause is most likely the fact that it is quite easy to work around. When paralyzed you have a 50-50 chance of actually doing something. Also Thunder Wave can easily be absorbed by Ground Types, Volt Absorb, Lightning Rod, and Pokemon that don't care about becoming slower such as Ferrothorn. In fact is Ferrothorn is paralyzed, Gyro Ball will be one heavy hitting move.
Also haxes are part of the game. So if someone is able to paralyze your whole team somehow :
a.) That was some stupid playing on your part ._.
b.) You still can manage to break through, although it will be frustrating.
Also having your whole team paralyzed is way better than having your whole team asleep...which is why Sleep Clause exists.

@Gairyuki789
Hey don't worry man. This place is where silly questions are meant to be asked ;)
In all honesty, the item choice is heavily dependent on:
a.) What your Hydreigon is trying to accomplish
b.) What your team struggles with

Dragon Gem should be used when you need to boost up that Uber-Strong Draco Meteor to even higher levels. Use Dragon Gem if your Hydreigon is trying to lure something in. Let's say Pokemon X is able to take a non-Gem Draco and respond. You need to fix this and by giving it a Dragon Gem, Pokemon X could switch in only to be demolished.

White Herb is really useful for those icky I-could-get-a-2HKO-and-I-can't-switch-out.
Let's say Draco Meteor on Pokemon Y is a 3HKO. You need to 2HKO it and either KO it or heavily damage it. You also cannot afford to lose momentum. This is where White Herb would be real handy. Note that this should be used sparingly and cautiously. You must know what Pokemon your Hydreigon attracts and see when to unleash a Draco Meteor.

Chople/Yache Berry is very dependent on what your team can't handle and what you could do once you survive. Let's say your team can't take Fighting moves. Thus you would use Chople to take a hit and KO in retaliation. This removes a Fighting Type and eliminates a threat that your team couldn't handle.
A good example is CS Terrakion vs Hydreigon. With Chople you'll take the Scarfed CC and in turn you can OHKO with Draco. If your team struggles with Terrakion, Hydreigon will act as a great lure-and-kill. The same can apply to Yache.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)