Simple Questions & Simple Answers & General Resources (OU Edition) MK II

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should probably check out this to get a better grasp of what is considered effective in the metagame. I wouldn't suggest going much farther than the OP, most of the forum is nominations to move ranks of certain Pokemon.
Other than that, use the Strategy Pokedex on the main page to get a general description of each Pokemon. I'd suggest Scizor, Terrakion, Landorus, and Keldeo to start looking at. There's plenty of resources on-site, it'd be more beneficial for you to lurk and learn yourself than me just tell you and have you use the same Pokemon over and over.
A good start would probably be here.

You should probably check out this to get a better grasp of what is considered effective in the metagame. I wouldn't suggest going much farther than the OP, most of the forum is nominations to move ranks of certain Pokemon.
Other than that, use the Strategy Pokedex on the main page to get a general description of each Pokemon. I'd suggest Scizor, Terrakion, Landorus, and Keldeo to start looking at. There's plenty of resources on-site, it'd be more beneficial for you to lurk and learn yourself than me just tell you and have you use the same Pokemon over and over.
A good start would probably be here.

I appreciate the resources. I'm trying to teach myself, but there's a lot to it!

Also, why Razor Shell over Hydro Pump on Cloyster?

I appreciate the resources. I'm trying to teach myself, but there's a lot to it!

Also, why Razor Shell over Hydro Pump on Cloyster?
Actually, Hydro Pump is the preferred option. From the Cloyster analysis:

"Hydro Pump is the preferred option for getting past Skarmory, Scizor, Forretress, and Metagross, since it hits their weaker Special Defense; however, Razor Shell will destroy Tyranitar and Heatran without fail, as they both commonly run specially defensive sets."

Also, never run any nature on Cloyster that doesn't boost speed. Max speed with a naive or jolly nature ensures Cloyster will always outspeed Choice Scarf Latios, the fastest common Scarfer in the OU metagame.

I personally use Cloyster a lot and can very well assure you using Razor Shell over Hydro Pump is a better choice. You really won't be using your Water STAB much anyways. Drop the 4 sp atk EVs into health and switch your naive nature to adamant. You won't be outspeeding much with jolly first turn anyways.

Other than that, rain isn't really needed for Cloyster to be effective, because once again you don't need rain. Best partner would be magnezone because it removes Scizor which is the set's biggest counter. Other than that it's just team building, use common attacking threats you would in conjuction with a physical sweeper normally such as Terrakion or Scizor. Jirachi is also a good teammate as it resists the BP's from Scizor and can take care of Fighting types easily.
I'll be honest, I have no idea what you're talking about in that first paragraph. I've used Cloyster quite a bit and Hydro Pump is miles better than razor shell on the LO set. It allows yo to plow right through Skarm, Forretress and most steels easily, while razor shell can't. It's true that you don't use your Water STAB very often, but when you do, it's gonna be against steels and Heatran. Razor Shell just doesn't cut it for those Steels. It also allows you to sweep even after being burned. Now you might argue, what about Jirachi In Jirachi's case, if it's specially defensive then it's probably being used in the rain, where +2 LO Hydro Pump does 85% to said Jirachi. That 15% won't be too hard to get. most other variants outside of rain aren't specially defensive. Putting naive nature on Cloyster allows it to outspeed +1 base 108's and 30 speed iv +1 base 110s which is HUGE, definitely go with speed boosting nature. Cloyster's special defense is crap anyways it doesn't matter if you lower it a little bit.

The rest I agree with though.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Is there a way of posting a YouTube video on the Forum without being badged? For example, let's say I wanted to post a Music video to go along with my RMT, can I do that without having to be a badged member? Thanks!

Lately I have been thinking about what a 12 vs 12 pokemon battle would be like. The most obvious advantage over standard battling that I can think of would be that it would allow you to cover your weaknesses easier. Doing things like finding a spot in your team for a rapid spinner wouldn't be as hard. The biggest downside though is that the matches would take longer. So what do you guys think? If there was an option for 12 vs 12 battles would you play it? If not would a lower number like 10 or 8 be more interesting? I know it would take some work to put it in pokemon showdown but it shouldn't be any harder than putting in those create a pokemon things in. I am interested in hearing some opinions about this because I have never seen it discussed.

Lately I have been thinking about what a 12 vs 12 pokemon battle would be like. The most obvious advantage over standard battling that I can think of would be that it would allow you to cover your weaknesses easier. Doing things like finding a spot in your team for a rapid spinner wouldn't be as hard. The biggest downside though is that the matches would take longer. So what do you guys think? If there was an option for 12 vs 12 battles would you play it? If not would a lower number like 10 or 8 be more interesting? I know it would take some work to put it in pokemon showdown but it shouldn't be any harder than putting in those create a pokemon things in. I am interested in hearing some opinions about this because I have never seen it discussed.
Might want to post this in the other metagames section, this section is for OU specifically. Still, its an interesting idea, and I would try it out. I'd just worry that everyone would be running 8 Dragons, Magnezone, a SR user, a spinner, and a revenge killer.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'm not sure if this would go here but is there any news about when DW Serperior will be released. I just cant wait to spam Leaf Storm on it!
Until an event is announced, we have no idea when it's going to happen. When it is announced, I'm sure word will get around quickly.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Is there a way of posting a YouTube video on the Forum without being badged? For example, let's say I wanted to post a Music video to go along with my RMT, can I do that without having to be a badged member? Thanks!
1. Go to the YouTube video you want and find the URL. I'll use this video for the example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRUKL0LbSdg
2. Find the v= and highlight all of the text after the v=. In this case, youtube.com/watch?v=kRUKL0LbSdg
3. Now put it in youtube tags:
[ youtube ] kRUKL0LbSdg [ /youtube ]
Remove all of those spaces I added, and...
[youtube]kRUKL0LbSdg[/youtube]
shameless plug for my favorite band

I have a team that runs quad priority. Do you guys think at that point it would be unnecessary to run a scarfer?
Depends on the priority. If you've got nothing that hits Volcarona, for sure you'll need something that can handle it. Take a look at OU, and ask yourself if you can handle the threats. If you can't, it might be a good idea to add a Scarfer who can.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
I have a team that runs quad priority. Do you guys think at that point it would be unnecessary to run a scarfer?
just to help us out, which forms of priority are they, and from who? this will make it easier to determine threats and an appropriate scarf mon if needed

okay i was asked for a clearer explanation. The 4 forms of priority I have on my team are Ice Shard, Extremespeed, Mach Punch, and Bullet Bunch. Again the question is with these forms of priority on my team, is it necessary to use a scarfer????

You might not need a scarfer actually as long as you have good team coverage. Bulky pokes like Conkeldurr can be a problem, Volcarona in general is a problem because pretty much all viable priority move users are weak to it, and resistances like Metagross can set up all over you. That said, I suggest you run a fast, heavy hitting pokemon with maybe a band if it's physical or specs if it's special.

okay i was asked for a clearer explanation. The 4 forms of priority I have on my team are Ice Shard, Extremespeed, Mach Punch, and Bullet Bunch. Again the question is with these forms of priority on my team, is it necessary to use a scarfer????
Can you tell us the users of these priority moves? We still need this to give you a clearer answer.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
Yeah, we can't really know if you need a Choice Scarf user if you only tell us the forms of priority. For example, Bullet Punch: it may be Scizor or it may be be Lucario. Ice Shard: is this Mamoswine, Donphan, or perhaps Weaville that you're using? Mach Punch: Infernape, Conkeldurr, etc.? ExtremeSpeed could be Dragonite, or is it someone else?

Point is, these all have different stats/movepools and checks/counters/things they can't get around. Therefore, we're going to need a little bit more specific information, because simply knowing the moves won't give us enough context to help you. However, in general, it's always nice to have a good revenge killer, especially on offensively oriented teams (which based on 4x priority, I'm assuming your team is). This way, you aren't screwed if the opponent sets up. However, for us to help you determine the appropriate Scarf mon, we'll need to somewhat know your team.

What do the 72 or 76 HP EVs in the LO tank set for Latias let her survive? It seems to be the most common spread for that set, but the on-site analysis doesn't even mention that EV spread, and I originally thought it had to do with surviving +2 Sludge Bomb from Timid Venusaur, but when I calc'ed it, Latia still dies with SR up.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
What do the 72 or 76 HP EVs in the LO tank set for Latias let her survive? It seems to be the most common spread for that set, but the on-site analysis doesn't even mention that EV spread, and I originally thought it had to do with surviving +2 Sludge Bomb from Timid Venusaur, but when I calc'ed it, Latia still dies with SR up.
Originally Posted by Fat I guess just Smogon since it's from the analysis
For reference, 112 HP will allow Latias to survive +2 Modest Life Orb Sludge Bomb from Venusaur at full health (200 HP / 56 SpD will provide the best chance to survive the same assault after Stealth Rock damage).
This is what I could find. I didn't see anything about 72/76 HP EVs in the analysis but this was in there! Is this helpful?

TGMD

ƧÏÐÈ¥¯ÏĈ¼Á°¿±³´µ¶·¸¹º»ŤûŠť²ØéŋŌ
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The 72 HP EVs leaves Latias with an HP number that ends with 9, this is known as a Life Orb number. LO numbers give you the max amount of HP you can have, while minimising LO recoil. It's just a good amount of bulk to have, and Latias appreciates as little residual damage as possible.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The ones remaining of any importance at all off the top of my head are non-gen 1 starters, Chandelure, Zapdos & friends, and some legendaries. However, most of the only ones that matter are Serperior, Zapdos, and chandelure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)