Skymin Discussion Thread

Before you decide on which tier to place the Sky Forme, you've got to think how common it will be to encounter on wi-fi.
Only if both parties have platinum will it be seen, otherwise it will be restricted to Land Forme. Then you have to decide if Land Forme having air slash and the like makes it's tier status higher or not.
No idea how this will translate to shoddy, but it will lose its status as being a simulation of the games if anyone can encounter the Sky Forme.

Before you decide on which tier to place the Sky Forme, you've got to think how common it will be to encounter on wi-fi.
Only if both parties have platinum will it be seen, otherwise it will be restricted to Land Forme. Then you have to decide if Land Forme having air slash and the like makes it's tier status higher or not.
No idea how this will translate to shoddy, but it will lose its status as being a simulation of the games if anyone can encounter the Sky Forme.
And everyone having HP Ice 70 Zapdos with Baton Pass is a regularity online?

Raj

CAP Playtesting Expert
Hmmm... how is this going to affect Species Clause? I mean, could we have Lande Forme as well as Skye Forme in the same team? This really hasn't been looked into yet (as far as I'm aware).

Well, if you can use more than one Deoxys form on the same team then yeah, but as far as I know you can't. I don't play Ubers, so I'm not sure on that, but... it seems logical.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
That is an interesting point Gorm brings up. I REALLY don't want to jump to conclusions here, but what happens if Nintendo (for SOME reason) never allows Sky Shaymin / Origin Giratina to be used on WiFi? Do we allow them because they are legal in game? Or do we ban them under the same reasons Arceus is banned for?
I'm under the assumption that if they're not usable on Wi-Fi (or Local Wireless) using Platinum, then we do not allow them in Standard play.

Arceus is a non-issue here as it won't be allowed until it is legal.

This is what "Extended Game Clause" is used for on Shoddy Battle, we can't have an Arceus legally yet so it won't be allowed in Standard, only Extended. If we cannot use Origin Forme Giratina and Sky Forme Shaymin against other players, then they will only be allowed under the "Extended Game Clause" rule as well.

Guys, if it's silly to talk about tier placement because we don't have any experience with it, it's equally redundant to talk about the game mechanics regarding its playability especially when almost no one here has access to the game. It's likely more than not that we'll be able to use it over wifi, but whether Platinum players can use it against D/P users has yet to be seen.

Like Lee said earlier, does it matter if nintendo makes it usable? We are not a ridgid rule bound community. If skymin is in the minds of the players, artistic license can be used to impliment it, weather it be ou or uber.

the issue is that the Pokemon has no linkability at all.

You can link battle with Arceus, but you cannot link battle the new formes in any way.

For it to be a Pokemon simulator, it has to replicate the possible and the impossible.

Using new alternate forms, as of now, is impossible.

apparently earth power shaymin was confirmed. I could see this set working well.

Skymin@Yache Berry
8hp, 252 spA, 244 speed
Modest
Serene Grace
-Seed Flare
-Growth
-Earth Power
-HP ice

Air Slash was left out because I don't think there's anything it hits much harder than the other 3 moves. Modest is used over Timid because it allows you to 2HKO Registeel with Earth Power after 1 Growth. The EVs let you outspeed Timid Gengar.

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
Well, if you can use more than one Deoxys form on the same team then yeah, but as far as I know you can't. I don't play Ubers, so I'm not sure on that, but... it seems logical.
According to Nintendo, the species clause is no two Pokemon with the same PokeDex entry. But this isn't Nintendo. I've played against teams with Deoxys-f and Deoxys-l. :P

Shaymin has Earth Power? Now it can still have Hidden Power Fire or Psychic. That seems too good to be true. How does it learn Earth Power? O.o

According to Nintendo, the species clause is no two Pokemon with the same PokeDex entry. But this isn't Nintendo. I've played against teams with Deoxys-f and Deoxys-l. :P

Shaymin has Earth Power? Now it can still have Hidden Power Fire or Psychic. That seems too good to be true. How does it learn Earth Power? O.o
HP fire seems useless to me...hp ice would be better for hitting zapdos, dragonite, and crobat. psychic doesn't really hit anything that hp ice/earth power/air slash/seed flare can't.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Land Shaymin is the one who learns Earth Power (and Seed Bomb, and Zen Headbutt). I don't know a thing about Skymin, though. I don't have Glacidia Flower yet.

(would hacking it using Platinum Pokésav work?)

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
We need to decide if we are trying to simulate In-Game battle conditions or Wifi/Local Wifi battle conditions. If we are trying to simulate In-Game, then it should be allowed.

I think we need to broaden this for the sake of not wasting a thread, In the event Skymin is banned from abttle altogether, or at least to ubers.

Even if skymin isn't used in battle, Shaymin is still formiddable with the new moves - it's not as speedy, but its more bulky, with 25 more BST in the defense, and the ability to still 2hko blissey. It keeps earth power and air slash.
The loss of Seren grace sort of kills it, but think of it as a more defensive Skymin maybe?

Edit: Does it get seed bomb for a swords dance set?

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I got it to work

here's how

Looks like Skymin is for local battles only, at least at this stage, but it DOES work somehow. Which means it'll be allowed on Shoddy.

Keep in mind, this is local direct connection ONLY.

Any place that has D/P Connectivity, WILL revert.

This will hinder the "legality" of this issue now, but it should not be a problem. You can only test this against other players on Shoddy.

IRL, in Offical Nintendo tournaments, they will ban Shaymin. Their rules is the Battle Tower rules, btw.

I fail to see the point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)