CAP 2 Smogon "Create a Pokemon" Part Deux: Poll 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of curiosity, Hyra, why not Cloud Nine instead of Air Lock?

I don't know if this is Hyra's answer, but I think Air Lock as a name sounds more fitting to a mummy since it was once sealed in a tomb.

Not only TOO awesome, but also pretty un-fitting. As I've said previously, the ONLY thing that makes Dry Skin somewhat fitting to a mummy is the really, really weak (less than a Life Orb boost) weakness to fire. But I really don't get the loss of health under bright sun, and even less the immunity AND recovery of health against water attacks and the healing in the rain. It just makes no sense and is potentially overpowered in a tank like this.

This is what I'm talking about: Dry Skin in a frog or in a crab/mushroom hybrid makes sense, they need to be hydrated to survive. But a mummy not, on th contrary: It is inherently dry, and is fine with that.

See this is the problem I have with Dry Skin. An immunity to Water (as well as the absorption of) doesn't fit a mummy in my opinion. I know it's off topic (my apologies), but this is an ability that really should have gone to Shellos and Gastrodon IMO. I'd also hate to suggest another brand new ability just to make use of this inherent Fire weak.

I also have a slight problem with Shed Skin. The name of the ability suggests it'll shed like the way a snake (Arbok) will. I don't see a mummy as having an infinite supply of bandages to shed the way a snake constantly regenerates skin to shed.

Was someone's idea of (another) new ability of making it immune to the Ghost-effects of Curse rejected, or would this break this Pokemon?

Air Lock
Sand Veil

I think we should stick within the established abilities on this, it would be much easier to implement in a Shoddy testing environment later. Only 2 pokemon have the Air Lock/Cloud Nine ability and its an interesting addition. Sand Veil to fit with the mummy theme.

Insomnia and Dry skin.

With Dry Skin, it's the ultimate bane of Bulky Waters, especially with that very nice Sp Def. With Insomnia, it has a lot of chances of coming in on enemies, and makes it a potential anti-lead versus Roserade.

Edit: I know Dry skin doesn't make a lot of sense, but it would be interesting to have a potentially good pokemon with Dry skin.

Insomnia and Dry skin.

With Dry Skin, it's the ultimate bane of Bulky Waters, especially with that very nice Sp Def. With Insomnia, it has a lot of chances of coming in on enemies, and makes it a potential anti-lead versus Roserade.

Edit: I know Dry skin doesn't make a lot of sense, but it would be interesting to have a potentially good pokemon with Dry skin.
My Toxicroak says Hi

Shed Skin and Sand Veil

Shed Skin and Air Lock.

Shed Skin because no OU pokemon has it, it's a neat-o ability, and I like the flavor of an injured mummy 'rest'ing in his tomb, then suddenly unpredictably springing up sooner than he should. Air Lock because he brings his tomby, weatherless environment with him, and hey, he's a fighter, right? Fighters like fair fights.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Out of curiosity, Hyra, why not Cloud Nine instead of Air Lock?
Air Lock> Cloud Nine because he was locked in a tomb without air. That being said, Air Lock fits. I can see this thing saying STFU to Ttar, Hippo, and HaxChomp whilst Ice Punching/Cross Chopping the poor bastards into quivering lumps of jelly.

Gotta go with Insomnia, for the whole Mummies and curses never sleeping blah blah it just seems to fit it better. Dry Skin also offers it an immunity, which is great for a defensive tank, without making it too broken, and also leaves a chance for both abilities to be utilized (like heatproof and levitate on bronzong)

I'd say Shed Skin and Insomnia. Snare trap is cool, but it doesn't need a new ability every time we come up with a pokemon.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Air Lock because there needs to be a pokemon not named Golduck that does this in OU.

And I'm putting in my vote for definitely not Sand Veil. We do not need a pokemon with 90 HP / 105 Atk / good defenses getting immunity to Sandstorm as well as a Double Team for free. Arguably worse than Garchomp, because it does not even have an x4 weakness.

Dry Skin or Shed Skin are the most fitting. He can shed the bandages, and they look pretty dry. Shed Skin also combats his no recovery move issue by allowing him to wake up from rest after 1 turn 1/3 of the time

Shed skin and Snare trap, Shed skin being the one I like the most.
All I can say is that they just make more sense than the others.

Just curious, how long is the voting going to go for (tonight, tomorrow, etc), and what's the next step? Taking the top 4 voted abilities and doing a gradual poll (ala the art poll)?

Why do we keep coming up with new abilities every time there's a create-a-pokemon thread? Sure, Snare Trap seems cool and all, but I just feel like there's no real need to have something like it at all, especially when there are so many established abilities that could fit this pokemon well.

But the name Snare Trap doesn't really fit. I'd like to suggest a different name for the ability that captures the essence of a mummy. How about: Entomb
But the name Snare Trap doesn't really fit. I'd like to suggest a different name for the ability that captures the essence of a mummy. How about: Entomb
Fuck yeah.

On to the real post:
Eh, felt a little too stretched, and 40 BP for a non-priority move is crap. It's why Icicle Spear and Bullet Seed will never be used.

For me 50 BP is the tolerance threshold for any attack whose somewhat mediocre effect makes up for BP loss. Rapid Spin's effect is extremely powerful, as is Knock Off's. Temporary trapping is situational at best, and this won't be getting "free Bulk Ups" even after a switch because every turn it uses Bulk Up, it could be hit by Will-O-Wisp, Hypnosis, STAB EQ, or some other thing. It isn't like Wobbuffet where if you're trapped you're playing roulette or facing Encore.

I'd never use Charge Beam if it were 40 BP. Even with the 70% SA to boost it, it would still be crap. I'd actually consider using Sand Tomb on Steelix if it had 50 BP. The reason Wrap moves aren't prevalent or even seen is because the trapping moves are plagued by bad accuracy, insignificant damage, and a crappy effect. Even Magma Storm, which does have awesome BP, isn't seen over Fire Blast or Overheat on Heatran because of the questionable Acc, despite the fact it would give a "free turn" of setup to Heatran.
Unlike Icicle Spear, Wrap is an attack that you simply fire and forget. You don't spam it, you inflict it and then go back to Arm Thrusting, Cross Chopping, Shadow Punching, or what-have-you.

air lock and snare trap (dont like the name)

are we going to make this a two ability pokemon?
Unless there is opposition to it, yes. But I doubt that there will be since some people want 3 abilities.

Just curious, how long is the voting going to go for (tonight, tomorrow, etc), and what's the next step? Taking the top 4 voted abilities and doing a gradual poll (ala the art poll)?
I'm going to wait until there is a sharp decline in voting. As long as there is a steady stream (not 1) of voters, this can stay open.

Why do we keep coming up with new abilities every time there's a create-a-pokemon thread? Sure, Snare Trap seems cool and all, but I just feel like there's no real need to have something like it at all, especially when there are so many established abilities that could fit this pokemon well.
Because its an option and just because some people don't want a new ability doesn't mean its a valid option. Also, there are a lot of established abilities that are much stronger than Snare Trap, so its not overbearing. By the way, every time currently means two out of two, and with your logic no new abilities would be created because it appears that two is too many for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)