• Air Lock

Votes: 92 52.9%
  • No Ability

Votes: 82 47.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I kinda don't get why this thing can't Shadow Claw simply because he doesn't have a claw. If that's the reasoning, then explain stuff like Slacking with Slash (I understand there's no way around it because of his preevos, but he does looks devoid of claws) or how about Dodrio with Steel Wing and Fly (imaginary wings?). It's not like he's using claws of his own for the attack, anyways. Just read the description closely:

The user slashes with a sharp claw made from shadows. It has high critical hit ratio
It's a claw made from shadows, not imbued with them, and it does make sense for our mummy to control shadows and the like.

Icy Wind makes really cool thematic sense and is not overpowering at all. It is a 55 BP, 95% accuracy move that is almost never seen in competitive play. If this guy can actually make use of it in standard play that would be awesome. But most likely it will never be the best choice for a move set. Don't just ban a move because it might actually be useful.

I agree that Rest should be it's only recovery move, besides Drain Punch of course. I'm actually fine with it getting all 3 Elemental Punches; they make great sense on a Ghost/Fighting Pokemon, more so than Dusknoir even. Seeing as this is a mummy, and mummies hang around in tombs/desert, I see Earthquake as a very logical option, especially considering his Fighting type. I say yes to Rock Slide and Rock Tomb but no to most other rock moves including Stone Edge.

I agree it should not get Will-o-Whisp, but as a Ghost and a mummy Pokemon it should get some interesting status effect options. Confuse Ray is likely. Curse is what mummies are all about. Glare is a very cool, thematic option as well. Poison moves like Poison Jab makes some thematic sense as well.

That's my thoughts for now. :)
I agree with this.

Excellently supported, well-grounded ideas with a consistant theme and creative flair. ShedRest is awesome, unique, and should be tested before giving him an even better form of recovery.

I'm not exactly sure about ice punch, though. :/

ShedRest is really just as good as something like Recover. You become unpredictable with Sleep Talk, you have a lot of lasting power, you can wake up at inopportune times for the opponent, you can clear your own status, etc.

A few remarks:

Already with Shed Skin and Rest, this guy has one the best Recovery options out there, arguably better than stuff like Recover and Slack Off. Adding Moonlight would hardly make it broken.

- I think this guy should have to choose between Ice Punch and Moonlight. Recover is out of the question IMO. I think it should get Moonlight over Ice Punch because it gives Air Lock (which looks like its winning) an actual reason to be used over Shed Skin. Ice Punch just seems to powerful to me. Icy Wind would be alright.

And I think everyone should take Hammer Arm off their learn sets. Not a single Pokemon who currently learns it gets STAB on it, making it an extremely powerful move with negligable side effects. Brick Break is powerful enough, especially considering you have Bulk Up to boost it. This equals out after a few turns with practically every fighter which can't boost its CC without a CB.

ShedRest does sounds cool but the main problem I like to know is is it still giving another recovery move like Morning Sun or did we decided on Rest being it?

Jonathan~ About the Hammer Arm thing, I think that needs to change here. I mean yes I understand what you're saying but this guy screams "Imma Firin Mah Hammer Arm" and I think some if not many people on this board would love to have Hammer Arm in it's movepool.

I think it's definitely up for discussion at least. It would also add some viability to a more offensive set I had in mind...

Damn, I really need to start coming to Stark Mountain more often. i've already missed the bulk of discussion here....

Anyway, although someone has probably said this already, I'll throw my two cents in for what it's worth (two cents): this guy needs all the punches in the game. Why? He has fists. Flavor-wise, he's probably been alive for thousands of years, which means he's had time to perfect his abilities.

Next, Curse, Hypnosis, Glare, and Mean Look are all necessary. Mummies use cursing attacks, and this one has a freakin' eye staring at you. Hypnosis may seem broken, but it's not as if Mummy (as I will call it until it has a name) has the speed to be the next Gengar. It's very possible to use that turn to set something up before being put to sleep.

Wrap, Earth Power, Earthquake, Dig, Sand Tomb, Rock Tomb. Mummies control the desert and therefore the earth itself. Nuff said. Wrap because it's a mummy. Tomb attacks for because they're puns.

Destiny Bond, Grudge, Spite. Hey, you'd be pretty angry too if you had been trapped in a tomb.

Rest. No other recovery moves. If the zombies could heal themselves, we'd never be able to kill them in the movies.

ShedRest does sounds cool but the main problem I like to know is is it still giving another recovery move like Morning Sun or did we decided on Rest being it?

Jonathan~ About the Hammer Arm thing, I think that needs to change here. I mean yes I understand what you're saying but this guy screams "Imma Firin Mah Hammer Arm" and I think some if not many people on this board would love to have Hammer Arm in it's movepool.
I agree that Hammer Arm does make sense on him, but it would really be overpowered, especially considering his build. He'd essentially have the best Fighting move in the game: 100BP, decent PP unlike Cross Chop and CC, 90% accuracy, and virtually no side effects in his case. It's not so much the move in itself, but the fact that when paired with Bulk Up, in addition to recieving STAB, and the fact that he doesn't mind the speed loss, it becomes way too powerful.

Also, Flareon didn't get Flare Blitz, and while it certainly wouldn't make it overpowered, it makes 100% sense for him to get it.

Mummy would become the first STAB user of Hammer Arm; you realize this? It probably would set a good precedent in this case, though.

...Oh, I see it got Air Lock. Yay. Seems like it should have a different name, though.

I agree that Hammer Arm does make sense on him, but it would really be overpowered, especially considering his build. He'd essentially have the best Fighting move in the game: 100BP, decent PP unlike Cross Chop and CC, 90% accuracy, and virtually no side effects in his case. It's not so much the move in itself, but the fact that when paired with Bulk Up, in addition to recieving STAB, and the fact that he doesn't mind the speed loss, it becomes way too powerful.

Also, Flareon didn't get Flare Blitz, and while it certainly wouldn't make it overpowered, it makes 100% sense for him to get it.
Rhyperior has better physical defense, a large enough increase in attack to almost make up the lack of stab, and the signifigantly better sword dance, and he isn't overpowered.

Ever wonder why no one runs EQ and CC on the same set? They cover the same things to a very large extent. Rhyperior has no use for Hammer Arm with its STAB EQs, which are balanced by it's craptacular typing and shitty SDef, something which definitely can't be said for our Mummy.

Okay...if you put it that way, no Hammer Arm for it though it if magically stay on it's movepool long enough to become official then I wouldn't be all that angry.

BTW when I say magically I'm mostly referring to how the community votes on options like attacks and abilites based on what helps this guy out more so there's a good chance Hammer Arm stay on it's movepool regardless but that's me.

Aware and GF needs to stop being assholes to Flareon for once.

Magmortified

<b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
If this thing doesn't get WoW (which I don't think it should) that's a big differentiator right there.
I'm still not seeing exactly why it shouldn't get WoW. Plus, removing it isn't so much setting it apart from Dusknoir as it is almost every other Ghost type out there. Yeah, it's a reason I'm using a bit, but it seems like WoW is being considered a "Dusknoir-exlusive rule" over something that's pretty much available to the Ghost type in general.

BTW when I say magically I'm mostly referring to how the community votes on options like attacks and abilites based on what helps this guy out more so there's a good chance Hammer Arm stay on it's movepool regardless but that's me.
I'm getting a bad sense of deja vu from the last ability poll. Lets hope this doesn't turn out like that again.

Damn, I really need to start coming to Stark Mountain more often. i've already missed the bulk of discussion here....

Anyway, although someone has probably said this already, I'll throw my two cents in for what it's worth (two cents): this guy needs all the punches in the game. Why? He has fists. Flavor-wise, he's probably been alive for thousands of years, which means he's had time to perfect his abilities.

Next, Curse, Hypnosis, Glare, and Mean Look are all necessary. Mummies use cursing attacks, and this one has a freakin' eye staring at you. Hypnosis may seem broken, but it's not as if Mummy (as I will call it until it has a name) has the speed to be the next Gengar. It's very possible to use that turn to set something up before being put to sleep.

Wrap, Earth Power, Earthquake, Dig, Sand Tomb, Rock Tomb. Mummies control the desert and therefore the earth itself. Nuff said. Wrap because it's a mummy. Tomb attacks for because they're puns.

Destiny Bond, Grudge, Spite. Hey, you'd be pretty angry too if you had been trapped in a tomb.

Rest. No other recovery moves. If the zombies could heal themselves, we'd never be able to kill them in the movies.

Eaxactly. I love this. Everything I have been trying to say in a concise and well-reasoned manner.

I'm still not seeing exactly why it shouldn't get WoW. Plus, removing it isn't so much setting it apart from Dusknoir as it is almost every other Ghost type out there. Yeah, it's a reason I'm using a bit, but it seems like WoW is being considered a "Dusknoir-exlusive rule" over something that's pretty much available to the Ghost type in general.
Actually, it should be differentiated from other Ghosts. It is one of the few Ghosts that doesn't scream I'm see-through. Dusknoir, Banette, and Frosslass are the others. Although I am considering allowing a recovery move, Will-o-Wisp is not going on this, because that means we have to try to make it even more different from Dusknoir. It has already been said that this is Dusknoir with better typing. Will-o-Wisp only adds to that.

All of this is being taken in to consideration. Most of your moves makes sense thematically, and they have been glossed over by most users.

Anyways, the next thread should go up tomorrow, when I have time to fuse all these movepools. I will then point out major issues and let you guys discuss on them.

Magmortified

<b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Actually, it should be differentiated from other Ghosts. It is one of the few Ghosts that doesn't scream I'm see-through. Dusknoir, Banette, and Frosslass are the others.
And out of these three, two get WoW. I think Froslass misses it because she's the only Poke that evolves to be a ghost.

Although I am considering allowing a recovery move, Will-o-Wisp is not going on this, because that means we have to try to make it even more different from Dusknoir. It has already been said that this is Dusknoir with better typing. Will-o-Wisp only adds to that.
I see no law that says each and every Pokemon has to be as different as possible from each other. Infernape and Blaziken ftw.

And, plus, it's not like Will o' Wisp is going to be the thing that makes this a certifiable Dusknoir ripoff, plenty of things make this thing different as well. Most notably the seeming focus on offense over defense, if only a slight focus.

But as long as we're zealously removing things that people connect with Dusknoir, let's get Shadow Sneak out as well, that seems to be on almost as many sets as WoW. =P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)