1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Smogon Premier League - Manager Sign Ups

Discussion in 'Smogon Premier League' started by LonelyNess, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LonelyNess

LonelyNess PK FLASH
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

NOTE: THIS IS NOT THE PLAYER SIGN UP THREAD.

ONLY POST SIGNING UP IF YOU WISH TO MANAGE.

Introduction Thread

Managerial Information

Managers are one of the most important parts of a team. If you want to be a manager, apply in this thread. Managers however, will be handpicked by myself and Shiv as we're only willing to let people who we know will put in the time and the effort into this manage the game.

This is a very time intensive position and should not be taken lightly.

Another thing to note is that managers cannot actually play for a team, so if you want to actually play in the tournament, you can't be a manager.

Managers are the people who in essence run the teams. They decide who plays on it, who plays what position and even handles the team finances.

Managers also makes sure the team keeps running on a day to day basis. This means arranging battles, prodding players, and anything else you can think of. If a team fails to complete their matches by the end of the allotted time, the onus is on the manager to inform as to why this happened.

The most important thing they do is actually signing the players, which means having a good working knowledge of who the best players are in certain areas.

If you're looking for a way to participate in SPL without having to do a lot of work, then sadly, this isn't the position for you.

Lastly, managers will be allowed to hire upto 3 people as part of their managerial "team". Now, this serves multiple purposes:

1. Most importantly, it makes sure that there is never inactivity from a manager. If a manager goes inactive, one of his team will step up and fulfill his responsibilities.
    2. It also gives a manager a few people to discuss strategies with, which makes it all the more interesting.
    3. It involves more people into the tournament!

Now, if you are applying for a manager spot and have a friend who is applying for one as well, you may consider working together like this instead. Its just an optional thing, but I recommend people applying in a group of 2-3 so that more groups of people get an opportunity to manage.

Do note that nobody on the "managerial team" can participate in the tournament as a player.

Deadline for Manager Applications: Sunday, April 11th, 2010

whistle + matty
    Rory + RBG
    Corndog + Golden Sun
    Synre + Carl + alex
    Scofield
    jumpluff + huy
    KnightOfTheWind
    Ashley
    Mohaji
    Jimbo
    AshPe
    Fabbles
    _Apocalypse_
    kd24
    Huntofthelion + Igor
    Arin
    Sonuis
    tennisace + stellar + Thoughts
    Dubulous + bobtheball4
    Flamewheeler
    Alaka + Tyler422
    omni
  2. whistle

whistle
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

i'd like to try!

i am whistle someone stole my name so i'm dragon boy -.-

edit: me and matty and the extremely attractive scofield (maybe one more???)
  3. Shiv

Shiv mostly harmless
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

LN missed one very important thing, managers will be allowed to hire upto 3 people as part of their managerial "team". Now, this serves multiple purposes:

1. Most importantly, it makes sure that there is never inactivity from a manager. If a manager goes inactive, one of his team will step up and fulfill his responsibilities.
    2. It also gives a manager a few people to discuss strategies with, which makes it all the more interesting.
    3. It involves more people into the tournament!
    Now, if you are applying for a manager spot and have a friend who is applying for one as well, you may consider working together like this instead. Its just an optional thing, but I recommend people applying in a group of 2-3 so that more groups of people get an opportunity to manage.

Do note that nobody on the "managerial team" can participate in the tournament as a player.
  4. rory

rory T^T
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Hi I would like to sign up to be a manager due to the awesome managerial team idea.
  5. Corndog

Corndog

This sounds just as fun as playing, and a lot less stressful

I would definitely like to apply

EDIT: Golden Sun and I are applying together.
  6. Synre

Synre
    is a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

We've talked, friends

I'll probably hire assistants to blame later but currently I am going it alone baby

EDIT: I suggest potential battlers get their pictures ready as I will be selecting only the cutest Pokemon trainers for the winning team.
  7. Scofield

Scofield Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhh, Kate.......
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL + WCoP Winner

I would enjoy being a manager.
  8. jumpluff

jumpluff
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

16:14:58] <@Synre> pluff sign up to manage i need more people i can make shady under the table deal swith
    [16:15:13] <@Synre> whistle alone is NOT enough for me to start a manager mafia

sounded good to me

;)
  9. Veedrock

Veedrock

Not to try and down the position (especially the qualifications), but outside of the auctions what is there to do beyond managing subs? (Yes, I've read the OP and it really isn't that tasking).

I'm slightly interested but I think I'd enjoy playing a bit more. However if anybody wants to chat me up on IRC I'll consider it further.
  10. Shiv

Shiv mostly harmless
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

Auctions, subs, midseason transfers, making sure battles are completed. Its definitely enough work.
  11. Loki

Loki like seashells
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnuswon the 3rd Official Smogon Tournamentis the Smogon Tour Season 7 Champion

tentatively signing up. i of course reserve the right to waffle between playing and managing
  12. KnightoftheWind

KnightoftheWind
    is a Past WCoP Winner

Hi, I'll apply to be the best manager. Like no-one ever was.
  13. mohaji

mohaji

Hi, I'll sign up here to bring my team on the top of this season...
  14. twash

twash
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I'm still interested and would love to sign up! :)
  15. Jimbo

Jimbo take me anywhere
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I'm still interested.
  16. Golden Sun

Golden Sun vale
    is a Pre-Contributoris Smogon Frontier's Dome Aceis a Past WCoP Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 11 Champion

I probably won't be chosen as a player so manager it is

EDIT: I'll see if Corndog would like to partner up with me

EDIT 2: Corndog has agreed to join me
  17. Pan.

Pan.

Im interessted :x
  18. Fabbles

Fabbles LN_Slayer
    is a Contributor to Smogon

As I have said in the past, I would love to manage a team.
  19. Doomsday94

Doomsday94

If there is space, please sign me up.
  20. RBG

RBG It feels like a perfect night to dress up like hipsters
    is a Super Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Facebook Manager

If I am allowed to manage a team until Last week of june and then let my peons take control, then sure, i'd love to.
  21. kd24

kd24 lemme just whip my dick out and slam it on the table
    is a Pokemon Researcheris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

ugh

im willing to take the titanic jokes from loki --____-, ill sign up
  22. Huntofthelion

Huntofthelion Live for the nights you can't remember
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Still as interested in this as before and would love to be a manager.
  23. Eternal

Eternal
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

I would love to partake in the battling part of the league, but I just think I would make an excellent manager. So I'll sign up.
  24. Synre

Synre
    is a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

fwiw if he stays active alex will be assistant gming for me but god knows if that'll actually happen

also the much more reliable carl will also be joining us
  25. Sonuis

Sonuis Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated!
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I would like to be a manager.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)