Smogon University PO Statistics — March 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Scrafty is seeing less usage because Terrakion competes with it for a team spot, I can understand that, but if it's usage dropped because people think Terrakion can revenge it?

ah no.

Scrafty @Chople Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Jolly Nature
Moxie

- Dragon Dance
- Drain Punch
- Crunch
- Ice Punch
Besides that one, CB Terrakion is outspeed by +1 DD Scrafty and OHKOed by Hi Jump Kick while Scarf Terrakion can't OHKO +1 BU Scrafty and is promptly OHKOed back with Drain Punch, undoing most of the damage done.

All things equal, CS Terrakion can't revenge almost all Scrafty sets, while Banded can only revenge a +1 BU set. I wouldn't even classify it as a check.

Scrafty @Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
Shed Skin

- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Rest
- Dragon Tail

Also a great set, especially if you can get the enemy phazers out, and throw down some spikes. Racks up damage pretty fast and can easily regain lost health back.

And with Max special bulk, it can tank a few extra hits sometimes.

The way I see it, the main advantages Scrafty has over its most similar betheren (Conkeldurr) is that it adds that Dark typing into the mix, which allows it laugh at the Ghost and Psychic types that usually give Conk trouble (though Conk isn't a slouch at taking those out itself, with Payback at its disposal). It also has more versatility, allowing to fill other niches as well. I think the reason why its usage is down though is simply that for most teams another Pokemon usually fills the role better. Dragon Dance Scrafty, while no doubt dangerous, is far from the most dangerous user of the move, with Dragonite, Salamence and Gyarados being the first choice for most teams. Bulk Up Scrafty faces intense competition from Conkeldurr and Breloom, and it usually loses out to either one due simply to the lack of power it has, meaning defensive Pokemon can frequently screw it over as it tries to set up.

Basically, it's a niche Pokemon. It has enough to set it apart from the competition, but what sets it apart isn't usually what's needed on most teams. As such, it's relegated to the bottom of OU. That's my take on it anyway, I've never used Scrafty, though I HAVE used the alternatives.

43 | Metagross | 11610 | 4.830% | 9669 | 4.841% |
| 44 | Cloyster | 10958 | 4.558% | 8465 | 4.238% |
this is ridiculous, both of these pokemon can destroy entire teams after a boost or two and there not exactly outclassed, cloyster is far and away the best shell smasher and metagross has great bulk for such an offensive pokemon and fills so many roles, fuck terrakion seriously

Man, so this is the last BW tier list, huh? Pretty neat. Can't wait for what the B2W2 does with this stuff. Thanks, Antar!

I was so ready for Scrafty and Toxicroak. I was going to make a team and everything!
Anyways, Scrafty in OU is a bit underwhelming. Its amazing type coverage and can take some damage at times, but it is basically walled by skarmory and other bulky pokes, not to mention that its only recovery is in the form of Rest, which is pretty bad (even with shed skin). I like this guy, but I think he could do some serious damage in UU.

At least, that's what I've seen. I bet in a good niche he could sweep, wall, or whatever well.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I can understand people who want to use Scrafty in UU, but cannot say the same about Toxicroak. He only works in OU because of rain, and would be RU if not for DrizzleToed.

So am i missing something? Does anyone here believe that he could stay UU if he dropped? And if yes, pls explain why...

Does anyone else find it interesting that Hitmontop always does well in UU independent of any pokemon entering or leaving the tier? That's always puzzled me.

I can understand people who want to use Scrafty in UU, but cannot say the same about Toxicroak. He only works in OU because of rain, and would be RU if not for DrizzleToed.

So am i missing something? Does anyone here believe that he could stay UU if he dropped? And if yes, pls explain why...
I do:

1. Sharpedo rose to the UU tier recently. It is a lethal late-game cleaner who happens to be shut down hard by Toxicroak. It can switch on a Waterfall, absorb it completely, and laugh it out with STAB Fighting-type attacks. Other Dark-types (bar Honchkrow) will be quaking in fear against Toxicroak lest they can survive one of its STAB attacks.

2. Toxic Spikes are serious business in UU, too. Toxicroak is actually useful for absorbing Toxic Spikes (and getting health back) and hitting back in a multitude of offensive sets (both Physical and Special sets are possible with 'Croak - Sheer Force Nidoking only runs Special sets).

3. Some sets in UU set up Rain Dance themselves: Kingdra is an example of a Pokemon who enjoys setting up Rain Dance for itself. Toxicroak can benefit from the same rain.

4. Not many Psychic-type attacks will be seen in UU, so a x4 Psychic weakness is often not an issue most of the time. When you do see a Psychic attack, it is to come from a Psychic-type Pokemon who gets wrecked by a Sucker Punch (physical sets) or Dark Pulse (special sets)

Toxicroak may not be an amazing thing in UU, but it still has merit in the tier.

I do:

1. Sharpedo rose to the UU tier recently. It is a lethal late-game cleaner who happens to be shut down hard by Toxicroak. It can switch on a Waterfall, absorb it completely, and laugh it out with STAB Fighting-type attacks. Other Dark-types (bar Honchkrow) will be quaking in fear against Toxicroak lest they can survive one of its STAB attacks.
Pretty much all sharpedo in UU carry eq, well all those with competent users, so toxicroak is promptly ohkoed rather than being shut down hard...

Does anyone else find it interesting that Hitmontop always does well in UU independent of any pokemon entering or leaving the tier? That's always puzzled me.
Its sorta easy to see why so many people use hitmontop, considering its defensive set is so amazingly bulky, while arguably being the best rapid spinner in UU who at the same time can hit alot of pokemon hard.
If scrafty were to fall to UU hitmontop would probably be the most likely counter to it.

Pretty much all sharpedo in UU carry eq, well all those with competent users, so toxicroak is promptly ohkoed rather than being shut down hard...
OHKOed on the switch with SR maybe... otherwise Sharpedo fears priority more than anything and almost every toxicroak set has it.

Sharpedo can't revenge the following Toxicroak at full health: NP (vacuum wave), Sub punch (behind sub), +1 BU (fails to OHKO with max attack EQ and is OHKO back with drain punch) also +2 Sucker punch is going to do around 60% so... you need a healthy shark.

So, if you are running a NP toxicroak set, I would agree that Sharpedo is shut down hard.

OHKOed on the switch with SR maybe... otherwise Sharpedo fears priority more than anything and almost every toxicroak set has it.

Sharpedo can't revenge the following Toxicroak at full health: NP (vacuum wave), Sub punch (behind sub), +1 BU (fails to OHKO with max attack EQ and is OHKO back with drain punch) also +2 Sucker punch is going to do around 60% so... you need a healthy shark.

So, if you are running a NP toxicroak set, I would agree that Sharpedo is shut down hard.
Well do be fair since this is UU we are talking about, there are alot of other pokes that counter sharpedo better without having to be worried about being OHKOed on a switch, mainly hitmontop. I agree with the people in this thread saying that Toxicroak will most likely end up in RU, if he ever falls from UU. However Toxicroak will be really fun to play in UU.

I just 2HKO'd a specially defensive Altaria on the switch-in with Charizard's Specs Solar Power Fire Blast. I'll be shocked if this thing stays NU for long
Was it a Cloud Nine Altaria?

Cloud Nine would remove the Sun Boost and the Solar Power boost.

Dosen't change the fact that Solar Power Charizard was one of the main reasons Drought was banned in UU. So imagine the chaos 8 turn Sun Charizard will cause in NU.

Hell, Charizard OUTSIDE of Sun is scary as hell in NU. Perfect coverage in two attacks [Fire/Dragon], and he has a stupid speed, decent bulk, high mixed stats, and about 5 sets that can all devestate [Dragon Dance, Swords Dance, Roost + LO mixed sets, Specs, Scarf, Solar Power abuse, he can probobly run Sub due to the switches he forces too]

And we just lost our best SR setter.

Charizard in 5th Gen NU will be like Mence in 4th Gen.

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Whoo go Hydreigon! I knew he had it in him.
lol @Toxicroak still in OU. Scrafty is just underrated.

I don't understand what is so good about Hitmontop....use Xatu people!

I don't care too much for RU since I don't play it too much (I'm mostly for OU and UU).
Entei is a boss. Juss saying.

Damn people need to use Charizard more >:( This makes me feel bad since I used Zard in OU last month.....

Scrafty is such an underrated threat in OU simply because most teams don't bother to bring a counter for it. I have been using this moveset along with entry hazards, and it really weakens the opponents team to a point where you can perform an easy late game sweep.

Scrafty @Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
Shed Skin

- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Rest
- Dragon Tail

Also a great set, especially if you can get the enemy phazers out, and throw down some spikes. Racks up damage pretty fast and can easily regain lost health back.

And with Max special bulk, it can tank a few extra hits sometimes.

Scrafty is bad and is not underrated, even if it has a niche and only in theory (dark/fighting blablabla). De facto without useful resistances for OU (Lucario), great offensive stats (Infernape). And it needs one tour for an offensive presence similar to Terrakion@CB. Why play with it ?
We use figthing Pokemon because they are rapists, in OU scarfty is only a molester.

I like to know if OU council is always alive and threats are currently discussed ?

Scrafty is bad and is not underrated, even if it has a niche and only in theory (dark/fighting blablabla). De facto without useful resistances for OU (Lucario), great offensive stats (Infernape). And it needs one tour for an offensive presence similar to Terrakion@CB. Why play with it ?
We use figthing Pokemon because they are rapists, in OU scarfty is only a molester.

I like to know if OU council is always alive and threats are currently discussed ?
I pretty strongly disagree with that comment on Scrafty (not to mention that analogy which was in really bad taste and smells of troll), as it does have some very interesting uses. You just can't slap it onto any old team like you would with the others; it's plenty viable, just like most Pokemon are.

As to the question of the OU council, I'm pretty damn sure they're all alive and well considering they're pretty much all site moderators and aren't likely to be going anywhere without announcement. As for threats being discussed, I honestly don't think there ARE any. The last teiring discussion was about Sand Veil and Snow Cloak for cripes sakes; I think all the major threats in the metagame have been dealt with if we're to that point already. Right now the metagame is looking pretty damn balanced (some would call it stagnant, but you can't really say any one threat stands out as being a problem). So no, I don't think there's much discussion going on right now because there's pretty much nothing to discuss. Just wait until BW2 come out, then things are liable to heat up.

Antar is it possible for you to put up the rises/fall of each individual Pokemon within OU? Similar to this postwhich have been included in all of the previous month's usage statistics.

I pretty strongly disagree with that comment on Scrafty (not to mention that analogy which was in really bad taste and smells of troll), as it does have some very interesting uses. You just can't slap it onto any old team like you would with the others; it's plenty viable, just like most Pokemon are.

As to the question of the OU council, I'm pretty damn sure they're all alive and well considering they're pretty much all site moderators and aren't likely to be going anywhere without announcement. As for threats being discussed, I honestly don't think there ARE any. The last teiring discussion was about Sand Veil and Snow Cloak for cripes sakes; I think all the major threats in the metagame have been dealt with if we're to that point already. Right now the metagame is looking pretty damn balanced (some would call it stagnant, but you can't really say any one threat stands out as being a problem). So no, I don't think there's much discussion going on right now because there's pretty much nothing to discuss. Just wait until BW2 come out, then things are liable to heat up.
I have found Scrafty underwhelming and one the worst Pokes to use in OU (as you could tell by my Sig). You have to remember what you're working with here, a poke with a base attack stat less than Ferrothorn's but also a speed stat that is less than Tyranitar's. So trying to force a switch to gain that boost is more difficult compared to other sweepers.

TBH there is a threat that stands out in my mind above all others and that is Terrakion. Having basically unresisted STAB's makes it hard as hell to counter. Dragonite is different in that with its different sets they do have hard counters (Skarmory, Brongzong, Ferrothorn/Heatran to an extent for DD; Gastrodon/Jirachi for Rain). Terrakion can just ravage its "counters" with just two moves and skirt around them in one way or another. Gliscor gets wrecked by SD Rock Gem/2HKO'ed with CB Stone Edge (though accuarcy is subpar) while Skarmory gets wrecked by CB or SD Close Combat. To check in the Scarf game, Rock Polish is a nasty surprise and you can be hard pressed to see if Terrakion is Scarfed itself (risk the 2HKO on most Pokes if its CB). Priority is really your best bet with Terrakion, but only Scizor gets the OHKO (CB Conkledurr and Azumarill just miss out). It isn't a long shot for Terrakion to get its boosts, threatening the CB or CS set on the switchin risks the KO of your own Poke. It also has pretty good and in Sand very good special bulk.

Really since every and their mom use ScizorWash Volt-Turn Terrakion seems like a non-issue. Even on Volt-Turn teams there is a reason why Terrakion is the sweeper/hitter of choice next to Dragonite; because its so damned powerful. TBH I think Terrakion is one of the major reasons that drives Scizor beyond or near the 30% range, sorta of like Scizor and Salamence usage being "tied" together in DPP. Yes I know CB checks other stuff (especially Dnite), but considering that it is one of the only surefire checks and it is easy to fit on teams it's a nobrainer why it is so high.

Thanks Antar for the stats, really gonna help me.
Too bad Deoxys-D, claydol and Honchkrow shifted tiers, it's made me have to rebuild my team in two tiers because of that.

One thing REALLY surprised me when browsing it though...

KLINKLANG? Seriously? What the the hell happened to make him so popular?

I personally don't think Scrafty is underrated. His coverage and bulk is great, but his mediocre offensive stats and many common checks and counters in OU make Scrafty a difficult Pokemon to sweep with. That being said, Terrakion running around doesn't help much. Yes, you could run a Chople Berry, but without a Life Orb, the power drop will have Scrafty stopped cold by many walls, and have him missing out on important KOs that you wouldn't with LO. Overall, I think Scrafty doesn't fit in the current OU environment.

Umm... Where is Samurott? I can't seem to find it anywhere. Not even in PU.

Sorry, if I missed it, but if I did please tell me what tier he is.

Umm... Where is Samurott? I can't seem to find it anywhere. Not even in PU.

Sorry, if I missed it, but if I did please tell me what tier he is.
Samurott is currently Neverused, he is #19

Code:
 19   | Samurott        | 1323   |  8.459% | 1075   |  8.101%
Thanks for the stats Antar, i am really happy with the tier changes this round

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)