CAP 1 Smogon's First "Create a Pokemon": Poll 12

What evolutionary stage will Syclant be at?

• Basic (it doesn't evolve or have pre-evos)

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • Secondary (it has a pre-evo, but doesn't evolve)

Votes: 137 64.9%
  • Final (two pre-evos)

Votes: 46 21.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anything involving carnivorous behavior or slow and agonizing deaths are probably too graphic for Nintendo to include in the game.
Oh really?

Gorebyss- "Although GOREBYSS is the very picture of elegance and beauty while swimming, it is also cruel. When it spots prey, this POKéMON inserts its thin mouth into the prey's body and drains the prey of its body fluids." Note the GORE in its name.

Tentacruel- "TENTACRUEL has tentacles that can be freely elongated and shortened at will. It ensnares prey with its tentacles and weakens the prey by dosing it with a harsh toxin. It can catch up to 80 prey at the same time."

Yanmega- "By churning its wings, it creates shock waves that inflict critical internal injuries to foes."

So I don't think that graphic depictions are too much, as long as they are kept to a reasonable level.

"A vivacious Pokémon, SYCLANT can withstand the harshest of blizzards. They live in large groups, the most experienced commandeering the others."

"Despite their size, SYCLANT have a brazen spirit which spurs them to fight to the end. They can traverse mountains with the greatest of ease.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
I was adoring the grub design of Cyzir's, especially since so many dex entries are making suggestions to the young, it'd seem really reasonable.

:D

But yeah, voted secondary since in real life, ants only have two stages anyway.

I chose final since its kind of like salamance where it starts off good, better but in different way then into a monster different than its preevos. Heck its preevo could be a grass/water pokemon hehehe.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I voted for final evo, mainly because this pokemon is so powerful. It needs to be the last possible evo to make sure no one gets any funny ideas about making it even better. It doesn't really matter, considering that this poll appears to be pretty much decided.

As for dex entries, I like Jibaku's the best. The ice castles references are really creative.

All the gory predator stuff doesn't appeal to me. Syclant looks like an awesome fighter, but not in a predatory way. I think of it like a martial artist. The fighting prowess comes out only when provoked. The idea of it preying on other pokemon is silly.

All the talk in other threads about Syclant eating Delibirds doesn't make sense either. Yeah, it's funny to rip on Delibird because it's so totally worthless competitively. But, it is a flying pokemon, and this is a bug. And unlike other fliers, Delibird doesn't fear ice. A Hustle Delibird could probably OHKO Syclant with Fly. Of course it would need a Focus Sash to survive any hit from our guy... but that's besides the point. Think of it this way -- Articuno (Delibird's big badass older brother) would cause Syclant some serious problems. In game, I doubt Nintendo would have Syclant feasting on a pokemon that, based on typing, is almost a perfect counter for it. Yeah, Delibird is ass -- but, no ice bug is going to be pushing them around. In fact, it should probably be the other way around...

(I can't believe I'm defending Delibird?!? I'm going to hell now, aren't I?.....)

"While SYCLANT are known to be loyal and gentle to their trainers, they are aggresive in the wild. Defending their colony from rival SYCLANTS and living in harsh mountain conditions toughen them to be very powerful."

"Wild SYCLANT are fearsome predators. Even in harsh blizzards they can quickly chase down their prey with stunning accuracy. Should a DELIBIRD find itself near a colony, it would be swarmed upon almost instantaneously."

I like the second a bit better.

EDIT: I was typing when you posted, Doug >.<

How about this?:

Female SYCLANT tend to be less aggressive than males, but defend their eggs with brute force if needed. All SYCLANT are a potent force in battle, but also are courteous fighters. Should one knock done an opponent, it won't fight back until its foe gets up.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
EDIT: I was typing when you posted, Doug >.<

How about this?:

Female SYCLANT tend to be less aggressive than males, but defend their eggs with brute force if needed. All SYCLANT are a potent force in battle, but also are courteous fighters. Should one knock done an opponent, it won't fight back until its foe gets up.

That's funny that we were thinking of the same thing, but totally opposite perspectives!

I like the "courteous fighters" phrase. In looking at the sprite animation, it just looks like a martial artist bouncing around ready to counter any forward advance from its foe. It's almost saying, "Don't make me knock you down again.."

We could call the younger form Pestreez (Pest and part of freeze), provided you're open for name suggestions. Or Sycless to show that it's less than lant, whatever that means!

As for Dex entries:

This Pokemon encases its foes in its frosted acids. It will then spray frost to freeze its target. It will then bite right into the frozen block and eat it.

SCYLANT will shatter its prey, victims of its icy wrath, into pieces and feed them to it's children. It especially enjoys feasting on fire types.

There's just something badass about having frozen food, especially when shattered that screams BADASS to me. I can't figure it out though.

KoA

is an Artist
Well, remember that wild Delibirds are only ever capable of learning Present, which may or may not help them out much.

Also, where do you stand on the whole Snorunt Snacks issue?

I honestly doubt Syclant eats something like Mamoswine and Abomasnow. First of all, Mamoswine would beat it up with Stone Edge, and second they're both too big for it to eat. Unless they do it in groups, which I read, but stuff like Snorunt is actually more reasonable. I don't see bugs taking on mammoths...

I'm not sure if Magcargos live in cold weather. It says that their shells are brittle and something like that.
Well these depend on the size. I'm thinking it's about 2-4 feet tall, and built pretty powerfully. If it's smaller, then I'd say it would take down Weaviles, and Snorunts.As I wrote, They work in group. Seing as this thing can out speed it, and deal atleast 20% per hit, it can kill it if the group is 5 or larger.It has higher attack stats then Cresselia, or Uxie. If a damned Duck and pixie can kill a mammoth, this thing can too. Also as I wrote, it uses alot of the food to feed the Pre-Evos.

I kow that Magcargos need to stay moving like slugma, due to them needing to stay warm or somthing, but that why they can work with sylants. I can change it too, that Sylants steal the slugma eggs, and raise them as their young. You know how people say to like cut open camels to stay warm or somthing? Well that what they do with the large prey as a hive or shelter. Thats another reason that they hunt bigger pokemon.

I really suggest we mention antifreeze in the blood and suggest that it doesn't do well far from glaciers or snow.

It doesn't have to be as savage as I said, but I think honestly the 'ant colony' angle is just lame. We can do better than that.

Expanding on what a few people said earlier Scyther lives in groups or packs, yet technically speaking true Mantis(Mantid?) are loners by natures. Now what the fuck does it have to do with this pokemon? Simply, this thing doesn't have to be in a colony oriented creature. It can and possibly be able to survive in it's harsh environment alone. Well don't have to alway say it lives in an ant colony or whatever, he just needs a good dex entry we can all agree on. Personally, seeing a entry stating it's eating Snorunts or something would be awesome.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Its compound eyes work like radar to sense the heat of prey in a frozen landscape. It relies on sucking the blood of SWINUB for warmth and sustenance.

Voted for no evolutions, like Heracross. Just a badass bug.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I think almost everyone imagined this with a pupae kind of first evo that turns into this. Or a first evo without wings or something.
Oh really?

Gorebyss- "Although GOREBYSS is the very picture of elegance and beauty while swimming, it is also cruel. When it spots prey, this POKéMON inserts its thin mouth into the prey's body and drains the prey of its body fluids." Note the GORE in its name.

Tentacruel- "TENTACRUEL has tentacles that can be freely elongated and shortened at will. It ensnares prey with its tentacles and weakens the prey by dosing it with a harsh toxin. It can catch up to 80 prey at the same time."

Yanmega- "By churning its wings, it creates shock waves that inflict critical internal injuries to foes."

So I don't think that graphic depictions are too much, as long as they are kept to a reasonable level.

"A vivacious Pokémon, SYCLANT can withstand the harshest of blizzards. They live in large groups, the most experienced commandeering the others."

"Despite their size, SYCLANT have a brazen spirit which spurs them to fight to the end. They can traverse mountains with the greatest of ease.
Dont forget RSE Pidgiot!!!

"The claws on it's feet are well developed. It can carry prey such as EXEGGCUTE to it's nest over 60 miles away"

And I'm sure there's one from an older gen that tells of Pidgey eating Caterpie.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Where it specifically described how such behavior was accomplished? Saying "POKEMON eats creatures" is fine, but saying "POKEMON injects small animals with a poison that slowly decays their body from the inside, while POKEMON uses sharp fangs to cut creature into tiny pieces" is not.
Hiya Kabutops:

Silver: With sharp claws, this ferocious, ancient Pokémon rips apart prey and sucks their body fluids.

FR: It swims freely through water. It catches prey with its scythe-like arms and drains the victim's fluids.

LG: Its sleek shape is perfect for swimming. It slashes prey with its claws and drains their fluids.

Silver for the win!

KoA

is an Artist
Eh, I'mma try some dex entries. :)

"Syclants can be easily angered and will kill when provoked. Seriously, don't fuck with them."

"A trainer once misused his Syclant in battle, so it turned around and tore his face off while ordering in reinforcements to enjoy this lovely meal."

<3

"Despite their size, they are efficient hunters who can take down and consume a DELIBIRD or a SNORUNT with ease."

"Life in a harsh climate has lead to great adaptability in arctic regions. They can pinpoint a prey SNORUNT in the most blinding blizzard."

"Hunter Syclants efficiently make use of their swift speed and brute strength to hunt. Antifreeze in their bodies grants safety from the climate."

Sunday

Hey guys, it occured to me we also need a sprite for when it is in the breeders. The Poketech app sprite thingo.

KoA

is an Artist
That'd be simple, all that is is a dumbed down version of the party sprite reduced to 4 colors and in greyscale.

Hey guys, it occured to me we also need a sprite for when it is in the breeders. The Poketech app sprite thingo.
That uses the party sprite, so there's no need to worry about that.

What I'd like to know is since I'm not very good with stat calculations, as in I can't look at a base stat and know what kind of stat would result from it, what would this thing's stats end up looking like?

Sunday

Ok, I never noticed that.

I may go run some calcs now. Against what Pokes should I try it against?

70/ 116/ 70/ 114/ 64/ 121

What would the standard nature be? And EV's... I'll just run max on all my calcs I guess.

EDIT: Gorebyys has the same Satk as it, and Kabutops is only one Atk point down. I'll run those two as my bases.

Our poke reaches 359 Satk with +Satk and 252 EV's. It also reaches 361 Atk at max. Though it can't run both max at once.

Ok, I never noticed that.

I may go run some calcs now. Against what Pokes should I try it against?

70/ 116/ 70/ 114/ 64/ 121

What would the standard nature be? And EV's... I'll just run max on all my calcs I guess.
I was actually wondering what, for example, a Jolly 31/31/x/x/x/31 Syclant with the typical 252 Attack/Speed 6 HP spread would look like at Lv100, but since you brought that up, and I dislike Garchomp, let's see how overkill a Blizzard would be on one.

I doubt many people here would go for an EV spread that simple, they'd probably use a more complicated mixed spread.

Sunday

As i said, Our poke reaches 359 Satk with +Satk and 252 EV's. It also reaches 364 Atk at max. Though it can't run both max at once.

The atk is one base stat up but i don't knwo the formula. I'll just run a whole lot of calcs against some standard OU's with Max Satk and Max Atk and we can develope a standard spread based on that.

List of Pokes i'm going to run calcs against:

Blissey
Breloom
Bronzong
Celebi
Cresselia
Donphan
Dusknoir
Forretress
Garchomp
Gliscor
Gyarados
Jirachi
Lucario
Magnezone
Metagross
Rhyperior
Skarmory
Slowbro
Starmie
Suicune
Swampert
Tangrowth
Togekiss
Tyranitar
Vaporeon
Weezing
Zapdos

Moves of note:

-Thunder Fang
-Fire Fang
-Ice Fang
-Ice Shard
-X-Scissor 80bp
-Night Slash 70bp

-Bug Buzz 90bp
-Ice Punch 75bp

-Hidden Power
-Ice Beam 95bp
-Blizzard 120bp

-Return
-Brick Break 75bp
-Focus Blast 120bp
-Shadow Claw 70bp
-Stone Edge 100bp
-Swords Dance
-Rock Slide 75bp
-Natural Gift
-U-Turn 70bp
-Earth Power 90bp
- Superpower 120bp (physical, so I dont forget)

Copied from an earlier poll, Syclant's movepool:
Movelist:
- Thunder Fang
- Fire Fang
- Ice Fang
- Leech life
- Leer
- Ice Shard
10 Focus Energy
15 Knock Off
21 Bite
28 Icy Wind
36 X-Scissor
45 Night Slash
55 Bug Buzz
66 Ice Punch
78 Sheer Cold

TMs/HMs:
TM03: Water Pulse
TM06: Toxic
TM07: Hail
TM10: Hidden Power
TM12: Taunt
TM13: Ice Beam
TM14: Blizzard
TM15: Hyper Beam
TM16: Light Screen
TM17: Protect
TM18: Rain Dance
TM21: Frustration
TM27: Return
TM28: Dig
TM31: Brick Break
TM32: Double Team
TM33: Reflect
TM39: Rock Tomb
TM40: Aerial Ace
TM41: Torment
TM42: Facade
TM43: Secret Power
TM44: Attract
TM45: Rest
TM46: Thief
TM47: Steel Wing
TM51: Roost
TM52: Focus Blast
TM54: False Swipe
TM56: Fling
TM58: Endure
TM60: Drain Punch
TM62: Silver Wind
TM63: Embargo
TM65: Shadow Claw
TM66: Payback
TM68: Giga Impact
TM70: Flash
TM71: Stone Edge
TM72: Avalanche
TM75: Swords Dance
TM78: Captivate
TM80: Rock Slide
TM81: X-Scissor
TM82: Sleep Talk
TM83: Natural Gift
TM84: Poison Jab
TM87: Swagger
TM89: U-Turn
TM90: Substitute
TM91: Flash Cannon
HM01: Cut
HM03: Fly (for those bitching that this doesn't fly, explain Doduo)
HM04: Strength
HM06: Rock Smash

Egg Moves:

Bug Group:
- Earth Power (Trapinch)
- Superpower (Pincir)
Hope that helps. Also, how fast does this thing go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)