CAP 1 Smogon's First "Create a Pokemon": Poll 12

What evolutionary stage will Syclant be at?

• Basic (it doesn't evolve or have pre-evos)

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • Secondary (it has a pre-evo, but doesn't evolve)

Votes: 137 64.9%
  • Final (two pre-evos)

Votes: 46 21.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but, unlike many strategies, you can use a pokemon to sacrifice [as long as you know it isn't needed anymore, or like me just using it] and then get in a Mach Punch. But, yeah, i can't see many people using that method [other than me]. I'm a little different styled battler. So yeah. As i said earlier, i can't see much of a threat to Scylant. We may want to dim it down a little. MixAnt is pretty much un-stoppable.

Just like there's SDApe and CBApe, there's CBSycle and SDSycle. And this looks like Infernape to me. It's fragile, fast, and has a knack for mixed sweeping. At the very least it should be put in 'Other Options', as Arty and Moltres won't wall it if it carries Stone Edge.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Just like there's SDApe and CBApe, there's CBSycle and SDSycle. And this looks like Infernape to me. It's fragile, fast, and has a knack for mixed sweeping. At the very least it should be put in 'Other Options', as Arty and Moltres won't wall it if it carries Stone Edge.
it IS in other options. I'm going to go run some calcs now Jibaku. BRB

Infernape takes 45%-53% from Blizzard. Not a garunteed 2HKO on the switch. Ok, I'll add that Infernape can easily come in twice (Mixant only) and threaten with Mach Punch.

Sunday

[SET]
name: Mixant
move 1: Blizzard
move 2: Bug buzz
move 3: Brick Break
move 4: Substitute / Earth Power
item: Life Orb
ability: Compoundeyes
nature: Naive / Rash
evs: 200 Atk/ 56 Satk / 252 Spd

[SET COMMENTS]
Syclant has the ability to tear through many of the most common walls in D/P. Compoundeyes provided Syclant with an extreemly high power 99% accurate STAB in the form of Blizzard. Brick Break deals with Blissey and will 2HKO 90% of the time. Bug buzz provedes a strong STAB that deals with many opponents. Substitute can be used if you do not want to risk mispredicting, which will often force Syclant to switch out. Those EV's give you the same Atk as a max Atk and Satk Syclant with the trade off of 10% recoil from every attack, so all of these damage calcs still stand.

If you can't provide Syclant with sufficient Rapid Spin support than it will die extreemly soon with this set, so another option is to use the Mountaneer ability and either run Ice Beam over Blizzard or use Abomasnow's hail to create a 100% Acc Blizzard.

[SET]
name: Swords Ant
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Ice Shard / Ice Punch
move 3: X-Scissor
move 4: Brick Break / U-Turn
item: Life Orb / Expert Belt
ability: Mountaineer
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spd

[SET COMMENTS]
A full physical version of Syclant. It's attack reaches astronomical levels after a Swords Dance. Ice Shard takes care of anything that thinks it can switch in on the Swords Dance and outspeed for a KO. Ice Punch provides a more reliable Ice STAB.

[SET]
name: SpecsSycle
move 1: Ice Beam / Blizzard
move 2: Bug buzz
move 3: Super Power / Focus Blast
move 4: Earth Power
item: Choice Specs
ability: Mountaineer / Compoundeyes
nature: +Satk -Def / Timid / Modest
evs: 4 Def / 252 Satk / 252 Spd

[SET COMMENTS]
This set has the ability to do massage damage to most of the OU metagame, provided you predict right. If you run the low accuracy Blizzard and Focus Blast then use the Compound Eyes ability with heavy Rapid Spin support, as Syclant wants to ahve the ability to switch in and out freely with this set. If you don't want such a high-maintanance Poke than using Super Power and Ice beam allows you to still dent Blissey and also be immune to SR. Keep in mind that both Super Power and Focus Blast are unable to 2HKO without SR

[Other Options]
Stone Edge is a good option for dealing with the likes of Moltres and Articuno. Super Power is unable to 1HKO Blissey even with max Atk, so isn't of much note other than on the Choice Specs set. Thunder Fang and Earth Power will 1HKO Gyarados and Heatran respectivly, but don't be tempted to use them on anything that isn't 4x weak as STAB Blizzard or Bugg Buzz will usually do more. Most of the time its incredibly overpowered STABs will cover it better than a single attack that hits Super Effective against a certain Poke. Choice Band and Scarf are also options if you do'nt want to have to set up your Physical sweeper, but Syclant isn't build for repeated switchins. Choice Scarf makes it a decent lead.

[EVs]
Neutral Natured Syclant with max Atk is never garunteed to 1HKO Blissey with Break Break, but 200 EVs Provide a very reasonable chance and a guaranteed KO with SR in play. Any EVs Leftover from your main form of offence should go into Spd. Always make sure that Syclant can survive two switch ins to SR if it must. This means NEVER give it four hp EVs. Either eight or none.

[Opinion]
Syclant can tear through some of D/P's prestiege walls, but is extreemly high maintenance. If you can keep Syclant in good condition then it will be a great asset to your team.

[Counters]
Infernape can come in on Blizzards and Bug buzz's and threaten with Mach Punch. Tentacruel is a good overall counter, but like Infernape dies if Syclant is carrying Earth Power. Articuno and Moltres also walls basically every Syclant set, unless it has Stone Edge. If the Specs set is being run then Blissey is a good counter. Priority moves, or Pokes that outspeed Syclant can deal very heavy damage to it once they get in.

Syclant relies on both having extremely powerful and accurate STAB moves and immunity to SR to survive. Taking either one of these away will weaken it significantly. If it is running the Compound Eyes ability then getting down SR and preventing it from being spun away will stop Syclant in it's tracks. If Syclant is using Abomasnow's hail for 100% Acc Blizzard then your own weather changer will hinder it slightly.

Ok guys, please help me fix this up a bit, and feel free to make sugestions, help fix my grammer, etc, etc. It's all appreciated.
Ok, I've made some fixes. Please keep helping me guys.It's appreciated.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Ok, I've made some fixes. Please keep helping me guys.It's appreciated.
I'm treating this like an actual analysis.
Bug buzz is spelled wrong in the sets and especially in the counters section. X-Scizzor should be X-Scissor

If we're nitpicking everything, then I have a suggestion or two.

You spelled "Extremely" wrong in Counters, as well as "Significantly". In that same section, you misspell "Hinder" for "Hinger". In the first paragraph, I see "Mlotres" instead of "Moltres", "Basicly" instead of "Basically", and "Proirity" for "Priority". Not to mention Bigg Buzz xD

Neutral is still spelled wrong. You have it as Nuetral instead of Neutral. Probably just a typo. Garunteed is wrong, too. It's Guaranteed.

EV's is incorrect. EVs is merely plural, the apostrophe is unnecessary. Prestige, not prestiege. Respectively, not respectivly.

This phrase in "Other Options" needs some fixing. . .
"Most of the time it's incredibly overpowers STAB's will cover it better than a single attack that hit's Super Effective against a certain Poke."

Most of the time its incredibly overpowered STABs will cover it better than a single attack that hits Super Effective against a certain Poke.

Okay, I'm done for now. Sorry for nitpicking, but stuff like this really shouldn't be in a real Smogon analysis. No offence meant by any of it either, just trying to improve the analysis' quality ^_^

(Also, sorry if any of these corrections aren't corrections, but fixing things that aren't broken. My apologies.)

Where's the love for SD or Tail Glow in the mix set? With a Tail Glow, you actually have a chance of OHKOing Infernape. All you need to do is up on the switch. This could also work well with a Sash set.

Sunday

This thing gets tail glow >.< I somehow missed that. Ok, Making some changes...

lol, poll over, start 13 :P

@ majesty - I'm not sure if I like the idea of such a carnivorous pokemon

Ash Ketchum: "Go Syclant" *in annoying nasally voice*
Syclant: *eats Ash*

hmmm, maybe this isn't such a bad idea...
A lot of pokemon are murderously violent...

Beedrill, Victreebel, Mewtwo, Kabutops, Aerodactyl, Scyther, Pinser, Gyarados, Tyranitar, Sneasel, Cacturne, Scizor, Metagross, Garchomp, Rampardos, Houndoom, Gengar, Weavile, Croagunk, Dusknoir, and Giratina all seem particularly dangerous.

Finalized movepool. I threw in Air Slash and Crunch, though I don't see either of them being game-breaking on Syclant. This is mainly for purposes of set design.

What might really be controversial is Counter. CounterSashing could really be a surprise, especially when coupled with Roost (perhaps?).

I feel like it needs an extra egg move or two. Not as much for competitiveness, but just to fit in with other things. Being that this is a bug, and I can easily see it using Spikes, could it get Toxic Spikes? Pin Missile? Fury Cutter?

I feel like it needs an extra egg move or two. Not as much for competitiveness, but just to fit in with other things. Being that this is a bug, and I can easily see it using Spikes, could it get Toxic Spikes? Pin Missile? Fury Cutter?
Good point. Since I put up everything necessary for competitive play, I'm satisfied for the moment, but I'll definitely go back for all the useless moves. It's going to be such a pain finding all the pokemon who learn things by breeding and level-up.... I think I'll just get a screenshot of the serebii dex page and paste over things.

Forretress gets the first two, Vespiquen and probably others get Fury Cutter. If it had 2 more than what the first page has now, it'd have about as many as everything else. If we could sort out the level up moves a bit better, then we could call moveset done. By that I mean just rearranging the levels a bit.

EDIT:

This is what level up is now:
- Thunder Fang
- Fire Fang
- Ice Fang
- Leech life
- Leer
- Ice Shard
10 Focus Energy
15 Knock Off
17 Slash
21 Bite
28 Icy Wind
36 X-Scissor
45 Night Slash
55 Bug Buzz
66 Ice Punch
78 Sheer Cold

55+ is too late to still be learning 3 moves. Maybe having Sheer Cold at 58, Ice Punch at 50, and moving things back a bit. Giving you this:

- Thunder Fang
- Fire Fang
- Ice Fang
- Leech life
- Leer
- Ice Shard
8 Leer
10 Focus Energy
14 Knock Off
17 Slash
20 Bite
25 Icy Wind
31 X-Scissor
36 Night Slash
42 Ice Punch
49 Bug Buzz
58 Sheer Cold

EDIT THE SECOND: I think that Bug Buzz is a damn good attack, hella especially in game. Ice Punch, eh, not so much. So, I'm moving Bug Buzz and Ice Punch.

Sunday

Remember please that it does have a pre evo which would learn the moves at an earlier level, and we still need to work out at which level it will evolve. My vote goes to around lv 25. After Bite but before icy wind.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Good point. Since I put up everything necessary for competitive play, I'm satisfied for the moment, but I'll definitely go back for all the useless moves. It's going to be such a pain finding all the pokemon who learn things by breeding and level-up.... I think I'll just get a screenshot of the serebii dex page and paste over things.
Bug group basically takes boilerplate from Pinsir/Scyther/Heracross/Beedrill.

If you find a non-unique level-up move on them, chances are it can be passed through the Bug egg group.

Quick Attack/Pin Missile/Flail/Reversal/Counter/Silver Wind/Double-Edge (Ledian/Forry) tends to run the gamut.

I'm just thinking, because most fully evolved pokemon are done with level up around 60. Hippo, for example learns Fissure at level 60, which corresponds to Sheer Cold. However, Hippo has a very small level up set. Gyarados, by contrast has a relatively large one. Gyarados is still done by 55 with Hyper Beam.

Looking it up on Bulbapedia, everything that learns Bug Buzz usually does so around 41, with a few higher, the two highest being Venomoth and Masquerian, at 59 and 61 respectively. 49 seems like a good level, seeing as it's a very good attack on this thing in game. Finally, when things have a crowded level up, they usually learn things at about the same rate as this thing does.

I mean, we could let the pre evo learn things a bit earlier, obviously without a few moves (X-Scissor, Night Slash.) I also think that flavorwise, this thing shouldn't learn Bug Buzz, but instead a Pre evo learn it. It just seems like something that'd happen, you know? But idk, I'm just offering suggestions.

And I agree with about level 25, around Icy Wind. Makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)