CAP 1 Smogon's First "Create a Pokemon": Poll 12

What evolutionary stage will Syclant be at?

• Basic (it doesn't evolve or have pre-evos)

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • Secondary (it has a pre-evo, but doesn't evolve)

Votes: 137 64.9%
  • Final (two pre-evos)

Votes: 46 21.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, level wise I think it's perfect as it is now. I still say switch Bug Buzz and Ice Punch, but that's in the end your call.

Yay, something to post about.

The learnset looks fine, just switch Ice Punch with Bug Buzz.

Hm... we need more substantial topics to post about.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
This POKEMON hunts in groups for Delibird and Snorunt. While most of the group drags the bleeding, seeping carcass back to the Ice Castle, where 10 slave Garchomp stand guard, the Strongest POKEMON enjoy having their way with lone Jynx along the way, whether Jynx wants it or not. This POKEMON is a rough lover and gives no quarter to it's partners. This POKEMON enjoys bondage and pain games.
rofl, that was my favorite so far. :3

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
I knew he was poking fun, but I still got a laugh out of it. :/

Also, Jynx isn't in his Egg Group. :(

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Wow. Reading that analysis is somewhat disturbing. Syclant is freakishly versatile. This thing could really make an impact in the metagame. I don't think it would overcentralize it, but I can see this being on LOTS of teams if it were playable.

Sunday, you may want to mention somewhere in the analysis about Syclant's ability to switch in on Ground, Ice and Grass moves. Those are common attack types and resistance to them is very nice for a fragile sweeper like Syclant. It might be stating the obvious (switching in on resistances -- duh.), but I think it's a key point to remember with this pokemon. As opposed to just seeing all the defensive weaknesses. Maybe a sentence in the Opinion section?

Why would this guy get Fire Fang? o.o He's 4x weak to fire.. and he's "made" up of ice -- how would he ever be able to bite Pokemon with flames?

I don't remember. That's either a mistake, which is fine, or we might have all said that having Fire Fang on him wasn't a bad thing.

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Why would this guy get Fire Fang? o.o He's 4x weak to fire.. and he's "made" up of ice -- how would he ever be able to bite Pokemon with flames?

There are other weird ones, such as Ice Beam Dragonite, Surf Rhyperior, and Rock Slide Charizard... But yeah, it's a bit odd, especially because this would be the first Bug-type that learns a non-HP Fire attack. Which is very odd, all things considered. Not that I mind, though.

Call me weird, but from what I'd picture a real fire fang. I could see this thing doing it. I mean, this thing is the picture of badassery. And playing with fire....when you're an Ice Bug....is just badass. Plus, I don't think it's competitively overpowered, and in game it's not bad. So it's all good.

DougJustDoug

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
On many pokemon, the Fangs come as a "set" of moves learned at Level 0 by a secondary evolution.This seems to be done on pokemon where fangs are predominant on the pokemon design. So, that's what we did here. I think it's just fine. The emphasis should be on the "fang" aspect, not the move type.

BTW, Drapion has a bug pre-evo and it gets all the fangs. Aerodactyl gets all the fangs as a set, and it's weak to two of them.

For type-coverage, the elemental fangs are just powerful enough to be useful for surprise or for countering specific pokemon. But, they are too weak to make a real difference in the way the pokemon is used on a regular basis.

Right, that's why I say keep Fire Fang. It isn't like, Fire Blast or Flamethrower which actually would make this thing quite Mency, as it would be totally incredibly difficult to counter reliably. Fire Fang is just, a move that'll only see the light of day in game.

Dex 1: Syclant are powerful Artic/Sub-Artic mountain predators capable of spliting massive 1000+ pound ice blocks in two it hunts with a mix of speed brute strength and cyrogenic attacks when it attacks it quickly and forceful pins the foe down and injects the prey with one of its cannon arms with cyrogenicly liquidfied air into the victim causing death by hypotherma from within.

Dex 2: A powerful cold weather Pokemon it can take on the cold weather enviroments of the Artic/Sub-Artic with ease thanks to evolving a sort of natural antifreeze in its blood,Syclant are masters of their cold mountainous habitats and can live in places were most life will be freezing to death in minutes it refers to hunt live prey but will feed on dead bodys if needed.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
lord sunday said:
[Set]
Name: Mixant
Move 1: Blizzard
Move 2: Bug buzz
Move 3: Brick Break
Move 4: Substitute / Earth Power
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Compoundeyes
Nature: Naive / Rash
Evs: 200 Atk/ 56 Satk / 252 Spd

[SET COMMENTS]
Syclant has the ability to tear through many of the most common walls in D/P. Compoundeyes provided Syclant with an extremely high power 99% accurate STAB in the form of Blizzard. Brick Break deals with Blissey and will 2HKO 90% of the time. Bug buzz provides a strong STAB that deals with many opponents. Substitute can be used if you do not want to risk mispredicting, which will often force Syclant to switch out. Those EV's give you the same Attack as a max Attack and Sp. atk Syclant with the trade off of 10% recoil from every attack, so all of these damage calcs still stand.

I would redo those calcs as some will do more damage it said that with a LO it will do equal OR more damage than plain max attack, and is it possible to get metalkid to add Syclant to the calc? It’s annoying to have a base attack 1 point off and having to switch Pokemon if you want to switch between phy. and sp. Superpower should be mentioned on this set as it can 2ko bliss with less attack evs, maybe say its a lesser option as you can't use it with earth power but if you go with sub it can work. Also say something about sub helping with Blissey switchins (sub on the T-wave).

If you can't provide Syclant with sufficient Rapid Spin support than it will die extremely soon with this set, so another option is to use the Mountaineer (the name is ICE SHELL not Mountaineer) ability and either run Ice Beam over Blizzard or use Abomasnow's hail to create a 100% Acc Blizzard.

Maybe more like:
If this set does not have sufficient rapid spin support, it will soon fall to passive damage. To combat this you can use ice shell over compoundeyes, but only do this if you use an Abomnasnow to set up hail or switch to the significantly weaker ice beam.

[SET]
Name: Swords Ant
Move 1: Swords Dance
Move 2: Ice Shard / Ice Punch
Move 3: X-Scissor
Move 4: Brick Break / U-Turn
Item: Life Orb / Expert Belt
Ability: Mountaineer the name is ICE SHELL not Mountaineer
Nature: Adamant / Jolly
Evs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spd

[SET COMMENTS]
This is a full physical version of Syclant. It's attack reaches astronomical levels after a Swords Dance. Ice Shard takes care of anything that thinks it can switch in on the Swords Dance and outspeed for a KO. Ice Punch provides a more reliable Ice STAB.

Add this:
Fire fang, Thunder fang, Stone edge, Night slash or Shadow claw could be used over Brick Break / U-Turn. Fire fang dents forry, who would other wise wall you, after a SD. Thunder fang is your best bet against Gyarados. Stone edge (or Rock slide if you don’t like the poor accuracy and want to take advantage of the flinch chance) has great coverage and can 1KO some Pokemon you would otherwise have problems with Pokemon after a SD. Night slash or Shadow claw can beat down Dusknoir and bulky psychics. Superpower is not an option on this set as the attack drop conflicts with sword dance.

[SET]
Name: SpecsSycle
Move 1: Ice Beam / Blizzard
Move 2: Bug buzz
Move 3: Super Power / Focus Blast
Move 4: Earth Power
Item: Choice Specs
Ability: Mountaineer (the name is ICE SHELL not Mountaineer) / Compoundeyes
Nature: +Sp. atk -Def / Timid / Modest
Evs: 4 Def / 252 Sp. atk / 252 Spd

[SET COMMENTS]
This set has the ability to do massage damage to most of the OU metagame, provided you predict right. If you run the low accuracy Blizzard and Focus Blast then use the Compound Eyes ability with heavy Rapid Spin support, as Syclant wants to have the ability to switch in and out freely with this set. If you don't want such a high-maintenance Poke than using Super Power and Ice beam (and change Compoundeyes to ice shell) allows you to still dent Blissey and also be immune to SR. Keep in mind that both Super Power and Focus Blast are unable to 2HKO without SR.

[Other Options]
Stone Edge is a good option for dealing with the likes of Moltres and Articuno. Super Power is unable to 1HKO Blissey even with max Attack, so isn't of much note other than on the Choice Specs set. Thunder Fang and Earth Power will 1HKO Gyarados and Heatran respectively, but don't be tempted to use them on anything that isn't 4x weak as STAB Blizzard or Bug Buzz will usually do more (I added them to the SD set as it does not have blizzard). Most of the time its incredibly overpowered STABs will cover it better than a single attack that hits Super Effective against a certain Poke. Choice Band and Scarf are also options if you don't want to have to set up your Physical sweeper, but Syclant isn't build for repeated switchins. Choice Scarf makes it a decent lead. I agree but I think will write a CS and a CB set anyway and maybe maybe a F-sash set?

[EVs]
Neutral Natured Syclant with max Attack is never guaranteed to 1HKO Blissey with Break, but 200 EVs (and a life orb) Provide a very reasonable chance and a guaranteed KO with SR in play (say how many ev's are required for a 2KO on Blissey with LO Superpower). Any EVs Leftover from your main form of offence should go into Speed (i would say max speed first). Always make sure that Syclant can survive two switch ins to SR if it must. This means NEVER give it four hp EVs. Either eight or none. Unless you use ice shell.

Maybe write something about + speed V + sp./attack, what does it outspeed?

[Opinion]
Syclant can tear through some of D/P's prestige walls, but is extremely high maintenance. If you can keep Syclant in good condition then it will be a great asset to your team.

This is very short; you/we can do better than this.

[Counters]
Infernape can come in on Blizzards and Bug buzz's and threaten with Mach Punch. Tentacruel is a good overall counter, but like Infernape dies if Syclant is carrying Earth Power. Articuno and Moltres also wall basically every Syclant set, unless it has Stone Edge (NOT true. They take neutral from blizzard and are outspeeded). If the Specs set is being run then Blissey is a good counter (say that it can switch in on blizzard survive a BB and T-wave, though it would lose alot of health a it is 2KO'd most of the time by BB and Superpower can easily 2KO). Priority moves, or Pokemon that outspeed Syclant can deal very heavy damage to it once they get in. The SD/CB sets are countered by skarm, and many other good phy. walls. If duggy can get in and ether it is scarfed or running a + speed nature while syclant is not it can trap and KO with stone edge.

Syclant relies on both having extremely powerful and accurate STAB moves and immunity to SR to survive. Taking either one of these away will weaken it significantly. If it is running the Compound Eyes ability then getting down SR and preventing it from being spun away will stop Syclant in it's tracks. If Syclant is using Abomasnow's hail for 100% Acc Blizzard then your own weather changer will hinder it slightly greatly not slightly.

Ok guys, please help me fix this up a bit, and feel free to make suggestions, help fix my grammar, etc, etc. It's all appreciated.

I ran it trough spell check and it found about 15 mistakes
I will post scarf and maybe CB and F-sash sets soon.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I'll take your contributions into concideration and do a total re-write in the morning. Maybe adding a counter-sash set in, although it seems quite gimicky to me.

FYI, it is still "Mountaineer", don't know what poll you're stuck in but it's been changed and it's not going to be changed back any time soon.

I ran it trough spell check and it found about 15 mistakes
lol. One of those spelling mistakes that isn't picked up by spell check because it's actually a word, just not the right one.

As I've asked before, since I'm not good at calculating stats from base stats, what would its stats look like with these EV spreads?

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'll take your contributions into concideration and do a total re-write in the morning. Maybe adding a counter-sash set in, although it seems quite gimicky to me.

it could work as a starter, it could help it get a SD in.

FYI, it is still "Mountaineer", don't know what poll you're stuck in but it's been changed and it's not going to be changed back any time soon.
in this thread http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34050 the ability ice shell clerely wins. the Mountaineer ability is "imunity from all rock attacks". cooper can you change it back to the one that people voted for.
As I've asked before, since I'm not good at calculating stats from base stats, what would its stats look like with these EV spreads?
what i want to know is what its stats would be with no ev's, adding ev's is easy.

2nd Stage Evo sounds right. Will it have a Lv Up Evo or A Special one?

Since a few people asked,
Here are its Stats at Lv100 w/ Max IVs and no Evs
Stat[base]: Neutral / Positive / Negative (Natures)
HP [70]: 281 / 281 / 281
Atk[116]: 268 / 296 / 241
Def [70]: 176 / 193 / 158
SAtk[114]: 264 / 290 / 237
SDef [64]: 164 / 180 / 147
Spd [121]: 278 / 305 / 250

Sorry i couldnt get it in a super-easy-to-read format.

DougJustDoug

the ability ice shell clerely wins. the Mountaineer ability is "imunity from all rock attacks". cooper can you change it back to the one that people voted for.
Mountaineer: This pokemon takes no indirect or direct damage from Rock type attacks upon switching in.

The ability "Ice Shell" was immunity from all passive damage when switching in. It was modified later to immunity from ALL Rock-type damage when switching in. It still takes damage from Spikes and Toxic Spikes, but gains a little extra, in that it could switch into Stone Edges and Rock Slides without taking damage on the swtich. This was reminiscent of an earlier ability suggestion called Mountaineer, that conveyed total immunity to Rock all the time. There was also a desire to name the ability in such a way as to allow other pokemon to use it, not just ice types. So, Ice Shell was renamed Mountaineer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)