CAP 1 Smogon's First "Create a Pokemon": Poll 3

What is the function of our new pokemon?

• Physical sweeper

Votes: 21 10.6%
  • Special sweeper

Votes: 46 23.1%
  • Mixed sweeper

Votes: 87 43.7%
  • Physical tank

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • Special tank

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Physical wall

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • Special wall

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Supporter

Votes: 22 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bug Buzz and Ice Beam are really nice STABs, and I reckon we could get Air Slash in there some how (c'mon, flying freezing bug?). Kinda like a psuedo Yanmega?

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
To minimize the rock weakness, and to stem the tide of rampant SR/Spikes/TSpikes abuse -- what if it had an ability that acted like an automatic Rapid Spin whenever it was switched in? Imagine a pokemon that vibrated constantly, hence the rapin spin-like effect. On this bug/ice pokemon the ability could be called...

"Shiver".

LOL how on earth did I forget Bug Buzz? I use a Yanmega ALL the time.

And this thing's shaping up to be quite the useful creature. I like Doug's ability idea. I'm visualising this as a small, cute bug-thingy that's airborne most of the time, and possibly shivering constantly, like Snorunt's 3D appearances, lending credibility to the abiliy.

Great. Now I want one lol.

To minimize the rock weakness, and to stem the tide of rampant SR/Spikes/TSpikes abuse -- what if it had an ability that acted like an automatic Rapid Spin whenever it was switched in? Imagine a pokemon that vibrated constantly, hence the rapin spin-like effect. On this bug/ice pokemon the ability could be called...

"Shiver".
Better yet, what if it's ability swapped weaknesses and resistances. That way, it resists those rocks with quadruple safety, and laughs at fire. Of course, a weakness to ice and ground in return isn't nice to have.

I voted for mixed sweeper. Just the thought of a STAB megahorn and ice beam is pretty tempting to me. This typing still leaves much to be desired regardless though.

Needs more Special Sweepers, honestly.
I like the thought of this thing being able to rip through Blissey, but that may be asking for too much. Has anyone came up with any ideas for its base stats yet?

Needs more Special Sweepers, honestly.
I like the thought of this thing being able to rip through Blissey, but that may be asking for too much. Has anyone came up with any ideas for its base stats yet?
No, because we have to figure out what we want this thing to do.

I asked my little sister to draw how she visualised this thing, and she came up with a butterfly-ish creature that has antennae with little ice crystals at the tips, and a tail that looks like a third antenna apart from placing. I then suggested snowflake wings, and she added those, and it's ADORABLE. Just saying this, but I don't think we're up to the design phase yet. We don't see much shivering in this design though.

No, because we have to figure out what we want this thing to do.

I asked my little sister to draw how she visualised this thing, and she came up with a butterfly-ish creature that has antennae with little ice crystals at the tips, and a tail that looks like a third antenna apart from placing. I then suggested snowflake wings, and she added those, and it's ADORABLE. Just saying this, but I don't think we're up to the design phase yet. We don't see much shivering in this design though.
LOL, Mario with Lasers idea XD

Placd that thing on photobucket and post it on the Smeagle art board or something.

This is roughly what it looks like. She did this on Paint, ON A LAPTOP, and the colours are apparently a bit off. The wings are meant to be snowflakes. And it has cold air around its wings, like Articuno in the 3D games

Apparently there is such a thing as an arctic snow moth... Anyways, it seems mixed sweeper is winning.. It just occurred to me that we could go the compound eyes sleep powder route... that and some boosting move (Calm Mind maybe?)... though I don't know how you'd fit the physical attack in there...

Gmax

kuahahahaha
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I say we make it a frail mixed sweeper, albeit with Magic Guard like Jibaku said. That would solve the SR weakness, also letting it run Focus Sash if needed to give it a guaranteed Tail Glow.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I really wish I could Re-vote for Sp sweeper, but Mixed is just as good.

And I have to agree with the Super Frail Magic Guard, tail glow sweeper Idea. <3 it already!

I would like to propose the name "Mantice" for our Bug/Ice poke, as in "Mantis" and "Ice" mixed together. It could have a mantis-like face, a blue color palette and have a icicles hanging off the body. I'll do some artwork sometime this week and post it up here.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
i would vote sp. sweper with superpower but then its a mixed sweper so mixed it is.
can people stop sugesting anti SR abilitys i mean there are loads of OU pokes with 4x SR weak they just need team suport, with magic gard (and don't sugest a atomatic rapid spin unless you want it to have base 20 in every stat or want it to be Uber)as an ability, it would be overpowerd, who would use clefable if it wasent for magic gard
cooper: can the sprite compatition in smergles studio start soon pleese before the abality and movepool are decided or they will not match up with the sprite.

Physical sweeper: Heracross, Weavile

Special sweeper: Azelf, Jolteon (joltion can be used as a suporter)

Mixed sweeper: Lucario, Garchomp (chomp is not a mixed sweeper, change it for salamence)

Physical tank: Rhyperior, Snorlax (lax is odd because it has high sp.def and attck, its more lightly to be tanking sp hits than physical, replace it with urm... metagross?)

Special tank: Regice, Blissey (blissey is a wall not a tank, replace it with snorlax)

Physical wall: Bronzong (bronzong is a mixed wall, replace it with steelix, or foretress)

Special wall: Cresselia (cresselia is a mixed wall replace it with blissey)

Supporter: Umbreon (add some stuff like batton passers, rapid spiners, trick roomers, stelth rockers, toxi spikers, tenticruel)

DougJustDoug

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
can people stop sugesting anti SR abilitys i mean there are loads of OU pokes with 4x SR weak they just need team suport, with magic gard (and don't sugest a atomatic rapid spin unless you want it to have base 20 in every stat or want it to be Uber)as an ability, it would be overpowerd
An automatic rapid spin-like ability would not be broken as you suggest. It would be an ability that automatically invokes the effect of a move already in the game. This is no different than Intimidate, Sandstream, Arena Trap, Huge Power and TONS of other abilities in the game. All those abilities are basically the automatic invocation of a move -- Growl, Sandstorm, Mean Look, and Howl, respectively.

As a move, Rapid Spin is by no means "game breaking". Nor would an ability that achieves a similar effect be gamebreaking. The big difference is that it would not be blockable. I think that's a good thing. Stealth Rock/Spike use is really dominating the metagame. As such, every pokemon that learns Rapid Spin is somewhat viable in the metagame, simply because they learn Rapid Spin. I think that is ridiculous. A pokemon with a rapid spin-like ability would be a big help. Plus the ability name "Shiver" is cool and fits with an Ice concept.

Obviously discussions on ability are a little premature at this point. But, we need to keep whole concept in mind as we build the individual pieces of the pokemon. Otherwise, it will be just a random assemblage of type, moves, and ability. As it stands, I have my doubts that a pokemon with two common 4x weaknesses can be viable in the metagame. But, I'm interested to see how this plays out.

I think the ability "Shiver" would be very nice. We might want to consider giving Mantice some kind of disadvantage to balance it, like low HP or something to that effect. However, lots of powerful pokemon have good abilities without anything too negative holding them back. Hippo/TTar with Sandstream come to mind. If we are targeting OU usage of our created pokemon, then we don't have to make it a MAJOR handicap.

Shoot... two different 4x weaknesses really is a MAJOR handicap already, isn't it?

As a move, Rapid Spin is by no means "game breaking".
Actually, it is. Rapid spin is the reason why anti-Spin teams even bother running things like Dusknoir. If we create a pokemon that can blow away three layers of spikes just by coming in, and not take any damage doing so, Dusknoir and friends are worthless. Not saying that's a bad thing....

cooper: can the sprite compatition in smergles studio start soon pleese before the abality and movepool are decided or they will not match up with the sprite.
It's going to start as soon as this poll is over. I'm post all the details in Smeargle's studio and let the artists go to work on preliminary sketches.

I voted Phys Wall... I skim read and only saw Steel / Ice :S

I now think Mixed Sweeper though, how about

70/115/55/135/75/105

A 555 total.

Frail, fairly quick, and hits like a freight train.

giving it magic guard seems reasonable since bug ice lends itself to a "fairy" type imagery imo, which makes tail glow viable but were looking at something pretty broken here with like tail glow bug buzz hp fire ice beam

agreeing that auto rs ability would be horrendously broken.

giving it magic guard seems reasonable since bug ice lends itself to a "fairy" type imagery
I've been thinking more and more about Magic Guard on this pokemon, since it appears that it will be a mixed sweeper. Someone in the last poll suggested an ability that prevents damage upon switching in, which seems like the more viable option to prevent Life Orb abuse. We could call it Ice Shell or something, playing with the bug's natural ability to freeze itself in the winter.

DougJustDoug

^I agree that a "fairy" type and Magic Guard go awfully well with the type of pokemon we are creating here.

An auto-RS ability isn't any more broken than automatically trapping a pokemon from switching (Arena Trap), or automatically cutting it's attack (Intimidate). If you think about it, those abilities are pretty damn impactful on the game. And when you put Intimidate on Gyarados, it makes it one of the most OU pokemon in the metagame. But, Gyarados has a 4x weakness to electric, which is such a huge handicap that it prevents over-centralization.

On this pokemon, we are talking about TWO common 4x weaknesses. It better have something pretty damn special about it to make those weaknesses viable in the metagame. I agree that Magic Guard could be one answer. Magic Guard, by itself, makes Clefable competitively viable. If this pokemon ended up with that, I think it would probably work. And, as you mentioned, it works with a good concept as well.

Since I'm not a big fan of matches with loads of indirect damage, that's why I suggested the Shiver ability. I think the metagame is getting a little too overcentralized on indirect damage. The introduction of Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes really added a lot to users of that battle strategy. Unfortunately, there really wasn't anything added to combat it. They didn't even add a bunch of good users of Rapid Spin. Since this new pokemon will be 4x weak to rock, it's a great opportunity to use it to address the glaring need for "Anti-StealthSpike" tools.

This thing is gonna be fragile as shit. 4x SR weakness ruins most pokes.

Auto-Rapid Spin sounds pretty broken, it doesn't even make sense. Maybe it would on a flying poke, but not an ice bug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)