CAP 1 Smogon's First "Create a Pokemon": Poll 3

What is the function of our new pokemon?

• Physical sweeper

Votes: 21 10.6%
  • Special sweeper

Votes: 46 23.1%
  • Mixed sweeper

Votes: 87 43.7%
  • Physical tank

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • Special tank

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Physical wall

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • Special wall

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Supporter

Votes: 22 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking more and more about Magic Guard on this pokemon, since it appears that it will be a mixed sweeper. Someone in the last poll suggested an ability that prevents damage upon switching in, which seems like the more viable option to prevent Life Orb abuse. We could call it Ice Shell or something, playing with the bug's natural ability to freeze itself in the winter.
You are already trying to get a new pokemon through, you are dreaming if you think you are getting a new ability through with it.

If you really want Nintendo to pick up on this idea, don't ask for too much

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm just wondering, what do you guys think of the picture I posted earlier? The only real problem I can see with it is that it was drawn by someone who saw the concept as a special sweeper. Remember, it was drawn by a ten-year-old, on Paint, on a laptop.
I think the concept fits the "Ice Fairy" ideas that have been tossed around. It doesn't fit the Mixed Sweeper concept that is currently way ahead in the voting of this current topic.

I think the Mantice idea might work better for a mixed sweeper. Good name, Odinwolf. A little too close to Mantyke and Mantine, but a mantis is a great bug concept to work with. I've always thought Scyther looked like a bad-ass, and it has a kind of preying mantis thing going on there.

The mantis look covers the physical side of things. The problem is bringing in the special side of things. Maybe it can have an icy aura, like someone mentioned earlier in reference to Articuno in the 3D games. Could be tough to pull off in a regular bitmapped sprite. The goal should be for it to end up like Infernape, a physical structure with a special aura. Making that work with an ice bug could be tough.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
We were never aksing Nintendo to make this pokemon, lol...

were we?

And if this becomes a mixed sweeper everyone seems to be saying "Ice beam and Megahorn, wow!" But haw about something more like "Ice Shard and Signale beam", with the physical side being the Ice type attacks?

How about

Spread:
60/100/55/135/78/102

A 530 total. It'd be very frail, quick and hit hard.
It IS outspeedable, and any SE hit will knock it down. The stats are basically a special-orientated Sala with a bit more speed, and way worse defenses.

Notable Physical Movepool:
X-Scizor / Bug Bite / Megahorn
Ice Shard
Ice Fang / Punch
Brick Break
Thunder Fang

Notable Special Movepool:
Ice Beam
Bug Buzz
Shadow Ball
Psychic

Notable Support Movepool:
Calm Mind
Agility
Baton Pass
Stun Spore

We were never aksing Nintendo to make this pokemon, lol...

were we?

And if this becomes a mixed sweeper everyone seems to be saying "Ice beam and Megahorn, wow!" But haw about something more like "Ice Shard and Signale beam", with the physical side being the Ice type attacks?
I'm sure that was the general idea behind it, hoping that it would get put into the next game. Regardless, its all fun anyway. I still don't like the idea of creating a new ability for a new pokemon

Sunday

I think a new ability is just a step too far for Ninty to concider it. I'm sure if we did send them the finished product they'd at least have a look and a chuckle over it.

I think the concept fits the "Ice Fairy" ideas that have been tossed around. It doesn't fit the Mixed Sweeper concept that is currently way ahead in the voting of this current topic.

I think the Mantice idea might work better for a mixed sweeper. Good name, Odinwolf. A little too close to Mantyke and Mantine, but a mantis is a great bug concept to work with. I've always thought Scyther looked like a bad-ass, and it has a kind of preying mantis thing going on there.

The mantis look covers the physical side of things. The problem is bringing in the special side of things. Maybe it can have an icy aura, like someone mentioned earlier in reference to Articuno in the 3D games. Could be tough to pull off in a regular bitmapped sprite. The goal should be for it to end up like Infernape, a physical structure with a special aura. Making that work with an ice bug could be tough.
lol I was the one that mentioned the icy aura thing. And I'm aware that mixed sweeper is winning, but I'm biased towards special sweeper, and think my sister's creation fits that nicely. Come on, look at it.

And to be fair, I think the majority of mixed sweeper votes are purely because they want something with Megahorn, which this "Mantice" probably wouldn't be capable of.

I don't see why a new ability would be ridiculous if it made sense and wasn't inherently broken. Something that negated switch in damage has a specific purpose, isn't abusable in any way (oh boy I'll switch in my frail ice bug more often than once or twice!), and, generally speaking, doesn't make the pokemon unnecessarily strong.

I just want to point out that Mespirit and Azelf are pixles/fairies looking and could techically mix sweep if only they had more physical move options so really a MM2 picture idea might not be soo bad, just need some way to do an cutting action to give it X-scissor.

How about something like this

Artick

68/108/58/112/58/115

Notable physical movepool

Megahorn
IcePunch
IceShard
X-Scissor
IceFang
BrickBreak

Notable Special Movepool

BugBuzz
SignalBeam
IceBeam
ChargeBeam

Notable Support movepool

NastyPlot
SwordsDance
CalmMind
BatonPass

FrostBite 60 accuracy freezing move or you could use it as an ability like static except when they faint it they get frozen

Sunday

Right now I'm starting to imagine this as a kind of white / Blue Praying Mantis, but it always keeps its wings out (yeah, i didn't know Praying Mantis had wings until a minute ago). I could see it using attacks such as:

Physical movepool

Ice Shard
Brick Break
Elemental Fangs
Crunch
Slash
Fly

Quite Large. It's Main offencive force.

Special movepool

Ice Beam
Signal beam
Shadow ball
Icy Wind
Grass knot?
Air Slash

Small, but it gets a few handy moves there that cover some of the physical walls that otherwise it hates.

Support Movepool
Powders (stun, sleep)
Dragon Dance
Batton Pass
Screens

if we do decide to send it to nintendo, we need to send links to all the different polls, so they know it wasn't made up on a whim, but many people who know what they are doing voted on it. in fact, we might even to convince colin to implement it in shoddy battle if we came up with a sprite and everything, making it outlawed in ladder play of course. if we could save LOTS of battle logs in a zip folder, we could send those to nintendo as well, showing examples of both its strengths and weaknesses.

I just want to point out that Mespirit and Azelf are pixles/fairies looking and could techically mix sweep if only they had more physical move options so really a MM2 picture idea might not be soo bad, just need some way to do an cutting action to give it X-scissor.
Maybe it could use its antennae? They have sharp edges, due to having ice crystals at the tips. And remember, this critter (in the picture) has snowflake wings, giving it a possible useless Roost option, like how Infernape can learn Slack Off.

im not the creator of this thread of anything, but we will have a voting session on the base stats later. we are not intending this on beaning broken, and having 115 in attack speed AND special attack along with dual stab in two of the better attack types, AND the ability to baton pass 3 different stat ups, is EXTREMELY BROKEN.

you just remade infernape with more attack, more speed, AND more special attack... if you plan on being retarded, and having no sense how the game of pokemon works, do not post base stat spreads and movepools, cause they are a waste of space and make people like me type a long ass passage to tell you how bad your pokemon is

Sunday

Calm down dude! No one said any of those movesets was final or even likely.

Maybe it could use its antennae? They have sharp edges, due to having ice crystals at the tips. And remember, this critter (in the picture) has snowflake wings, giving it a possible useless Roost option, like how Infernape can learn Slack Off.
LOL, Roosting frail bastard XD.

I agree with Ultimifer, most of the movepool and stat spreads are a bit broken but then again, he still trying to figure out what it's funcation and appearance is.

Edit: Preying Mantis idea sounds somewhat silly and look like Scyther after something drop him off in the Arctic.

LOL, Roosting frail bastard XD. It wouldn't be the first, Recover Deoxys-A anyone lol

I agree with Ultimifer, most of the movepool and stat spreads are a bit broken but then again, he still trying to figure out what it's funcation and appearance is.
Seriously, if if ends up not having a horn, I bet many people will be all "this thing can't Megahorn, it sucks now"

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
lol I was the one that mentioned the icy aura thing. And I'm aware that mixed sweeper is winning, but I'm biased towards special sweeper, and think my sister's creation fits that nicely. Come on, look at it.

And to be fair, I think the majority of mixed sweeper votes are purely because they want something with Megahorn, which this "Mantice" probably wouldn't be capable of.
I voted for Special Sweeper, but it doesn't look like it will win. I like your sister's visual. It is cute as a bug -- pun totally intended. The snowflake wings are perfect.

I don't see Megahorn on this pokemon in any shape or fashion. That's just me. X-scissor seems a lot more appropos for the main physical bug STAB. In fact, I really like the idea of Signal Beam or Bug Buzz being the main bug moves and go with physical ice moves like Ice Punch and Ice Shard. But, this thing is going to be awfully weak without some serious heavy-hitting moves like Megahorn and Ice Beam, so I understand where those suggestions are coming from. OTOH, Weavile is frail with a big 4x weakness and low-powered moves -- and it does just fine. Having two great attacking types and speed goes a long way in competitive pokemon...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)