CAP 1 Smogon's First "Create a Pokemon": Poll 8

Which moves DON'T you want to see on our new pokemon (PICK TWO)

• Zap Cannon

Votes: 75 33.2%
  • Thunderpunch

Votes: 20 8.8%
  • Close Combat

Votes: 54 23.9%
  • Focus Blast

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Fire Blast

Votes: 116 51.3%
  • Stone Edge

Votes: 44 19.5%
  • Earthquake

Votes: 52 23.0%
  • Earth Power

Votes: 28 12.4%
  • Hydro Pump

Votes: 81 35.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
^That sprite does look really cool!

My post was not directed at anyone specifically. It's directed at the community as a whole, which tends to take creations and make them into "community property", which isn't fair to the original artist.

Actually, I'm interested in the creative process causing this sprite to "evolve". It's really fun. I'm kind of surprised people keep going forward with it...

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I'm going to try and make a "morphX" to change the sprite with hands by it's side into the one with outstreatched hands and back again, like the pokeball animations.

I agree that "community property" isn't fair to the original artist, and it's a shame that after the sprite is changed numerous times the original artist is sometimes forgotten about. I also realised that though it wasn't only directed at me, I was a major part of it and felt I owed you an apology.

EDIT: But I don't know how i'm going to upload it ;_;

DougJustDoug

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm going to try and make a "morphX" to change the sprite with hands by it's side into the one with outstreatched hands and back again, like the pokeball animations.

I agree that "community property" isn't fair to the original artist, and it's a shame that after the sprite is changed numerous times the original artist is sometimes forgotten about. I also realised that though it wasn't only directed at me, I was a major part of it and felt I owed you an apology.

EDIT: But I don't know how i'm going to upload it ;_;
I appreciate the response. I don't know if you are an artist yourself, or if you're just dabbling on this sprite. If you're the latter, I'm glad my sprite inspired you to jump in and express yourself. The world needs more artists. And every artist starts their artistic career by copying, tracing, or modifying other artists' work. After doing lots of that, you can move on to freehanding on a blank canvas (or blank bitmap, as the case may be). Since I mentioned a sort of "artist's code of ethics", it's only fair to mention that artists are expected to encourage other artists, particularly new artists learning their craft. I encourage you and others, new or experienced, to have fun with this and explore the artistic possibilities.

I love the animation idea! If you want to upload an animation, turn it into an animated GIF. Search the web. There are lots of utilities for creating animated GIFs from separate images.

Sunday

I dabbled in MorphX, but the two images I've got aren't the same colours! The most recent is quite a bit duller!

And MorphX is made for smooth transitions, not the jumpy one's I'm after. I'll try finding a different program to use like you said, after watching a few pokemon animations to see what I'm aiming for.

I may try adobe image ready since i'm already familiar with it.

EDIT: Seems to be working alright... But for some reason I'm having trouble tweening it...

Argh! The shoulders aren't the same! One is shaded all over, the other has a line running through it XD Dam! All of the ones with Spikey wings have the striped shoulders. Miya's version is the only one with pointed wings and round shoulders...

Doug - I have always given you credit for the first sprite and we all appreciate the hard work that you put into it

Sunday - the image quality on your latest iteration of doug's sprite is a bit off what file type did you save it as?

On the subject of the sprite. There is one thing that keeps getting in my way when I try to modify it. That thing is the feet. I mean its like they are there but they are not doing anything for the sprite. Maybe we should try the sprite without the feet and see how it looks.

Doug, I owe you an apology seeing as I forgot you were the original one to create that sprite. >.>

And for that, I am sorry. But, I am thankful that you did post it, as it gave me a chance to work in the "pose" that Cooper wanted.

And yes, copying a sprite and then working in your own touches is a great way to learn how to create sprites. My avatar is only the second sprite I've worked on (though I needed to rehash it a little due to the pixel limit) and your sprite is the third that I've tried my hand at. I would like to thank you for helping me how to learn to sprite.

Sunday

Sunday - the image quality on your latest iteration of doug's sprite is a bit off what file type did you save it as?
I thought I saved it as the same type :S

Anyway, I'm modeling the animation on Regigigas's animation. If you've got one then check it out. It comes out with it's hands in "attack" position then goes "down" "up (atk)" "down" "up" "Down" and Shake left to right as it goes down.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
I am sorry for the delay guys, my estimation skills always sucked. :(

Anywho, here is my sprite. I tried to stick to Cyzir's original sketches as close as possible but felt that he looked infinitely better without the antennae.

Again, this is 100% scratch.

It's amazing how much detail you can pack into a pokemon sprite despite their sizes. I also made sure to stay within the 16 color limit.

Also, if you're wondering, I used this sketch for posing reference:

Going off of Sunday's version of the sprite, I tried my hand at crappy Photoshoping and came up with this. I've been advocating making a larger abdomen for a while and decided to take action. Where abdomens before were looking rather stiff on the right side, mine is more cylindrical. I like it.

EDIT: That's pretty fantastic, KoA. What's it holding? Or is it shooting something out of it's left hand? Either way I vote for yours.

StrangerDanger

RETURN TO COMPETITIVE POKEMON ISLAND
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
KoA's is obviously the best. Same design, just in an action shot. I'd love to get swept by something that cool looking over the one in cooper's post.

Sunday

Nice KOA. Doug's and co's version of the sprite went over colour a bit cause we did quite a bit of gradual shading. If you look on real mon's you can see that there is a VERY distinct line of shadow going over their body.

Animation coming soon. It would be better if I had a call that i could put it too...

KoA

is an Artist
Cyzir's sketches depicted him as being able to have ice shards in the free space between his claws. I decided it'd look good having one of his arms have such a spike.

EDIT: Yeah, I left out the outline by accident, I'll go add it in now.

Sunday

Umm...

I managed to get my Animation done, but I'm having some trouble running i in anything other than Image ready and uploading it. Can anyone guide me through the entire process (yes I saved it as a gif...)

I meant the top-right (from our perspective) wing shard. We'll see how the new wings come out, but I honestly like yours the best so far.

DougJustDoug

I am sorry for the delay guys, my estimation skills always sucked. :(

Anywho, here is my sprite. I tried to stick to Cyzir's original sketches as close as possible but felt that he looked infinitely better without the antennae.

Again, this is 100% scratch.

It's amazing how much detail you can pack into a pokemon sprite despite their sizes. I also made sure to stay within the 16 color limit.

Also, if you're wondering, I used this sketch for posing reference:
That thing is pretty damn amazing! I like that a LOT more than anything else posted so far.

It looks a little wide. Is it 80X80?

The pose is so dynamic, the arms and ice spikes look a little awkward. If this is turned into an animated sprite, it might make more sense.

Even if nothing changes, this is WONDERFUL! Very imposing and cool. Great shading and coloring. Awesome design on the face. Cyzir's drawing's face was kinda ugly and weird. You made it look cool. Great job, KOA!

Now THAT'S an original work.... ;-)

KoA

is an Artist
I just double checked the dimensions and it's 86 x 73, so I'll be cropping 6 pixels from the width a bit as well.

And yes, I plan on making this an animation.

I don't understand what you mean by "animate." If every pokemon has two poses upon switching into battle, is this going to be pose one or two? Will you be designing a whole new pose to make this super special awesome? Explain to me!

I still like mine though.... You overshadowed it.:pirate:

KoA

is an Artist
When I say animate I mean like the pokemon's intro animation. THis is the first pose to start the animation off, but also the stationary pose that remains throughout the battle.

KoA

is an Artist

Ok, I added the black outline, fixed it so it adheres to all size limitations, and fixed up the wings a tad. I'm quite content with leaving this as the final version of the sprite.

I'll do pose 2 tomorrow. As of now, I can make the party icon and even make a cry for him if I have enough time.

DougJustDoug

Just to be clear, I don't think KOA's pose is awkward. I just think it's so action packed, that it almost REQUIRES animation to make the pose "fit". Here's an analogy from the D/P sprites -- When I saw Milotic's DP sprite I went, "Huh? What the fuck is that?" But when I saw the two-frame sequence it looked really cool. For those that don't know what Milotic's sprites look like, here they are:

The first pose looks kinda weird, with it curled around with its head at the bottom. But, when put together with the second frame, you realize it is "diving" forward in a spiral. So cool...

KOA's pose is a little odd by itself. But chained with another frame (potentially a much more "boring" frame), this thing could be spectacular. As is, it is so fucking good I can't really express my full admiration for the artist. Bravo KOA!

KoA

is an Artist
You really should thank Cy though. It was all of his conceptual sketches that allowed me to be able to make this guy great.

I'm kinda ashamed to admit that I don't have a clear view of what the second pose should be, lol. :(

Eh, it took awhile trying to come up with this pose as well. :/

EDIT: Scratch that, one just came to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)