CAP 1 Smogon's First "Create a Pokemon": Poll 8

Which moves DON'T you want to see on our new pokemon (PICK TWO)

• Zap Cannon

Votes: 75 33.2%
  • Thunderpunch

Votes: 20 8.8%
  • Close Combat

Votes: 54 23.9%
  • Focus Blast

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Fire Blast

Votes: 116 51.3%
  • Stone Edge

Votes: 44 19.5%
  • Earthquake

Votes: 52 23.0%
  • Earth Power

Votes: 28 12.4%
  • Hydro Pump

Votes: 81 35.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't think you were going to move the arm THAT much. Just a little bit to avoid it looking like his arms were chained together would have sufficed...
Well, he said make it look like it was going to punch or something to that effect. If it's not what you think, well, you're probably better at this than I am.

And to MiyamotoMusashi, I really like the sprite with those arms and the original eyes.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Now everyone has started taking the sprite and mutilating it XD Well, I'm going to PM Sanjay and see if he wants to work on it with me to get a better version.

I'm working in Paint too. Point being? :\

If you zoom in, you can tell that it does have some shading. It's hard to tell from afar, though, so I'll see if I can touch it up.

I'm working in Paint too. Point being? :\

If you zoom in, you can tell that it does have some shading. It's hard to tell from afar, though, so I'll see if I can touch it up.
That was a mistake. I meant to have that go to GengarCrysis92, but stopped paying attention halfway through and just copy pasted your name on accident.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Alrght, my sprite is nearly finished and I'm fairly confident it will be quite awesome. :)

One last craptastic attempt before KoA's awesome sprite.

Added Kamikaze's sharper wings, and shaded the abdomen a little better.

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Earthquake and Fire Blast because can it really even cause an Earthquake and why would a bug/ice have Fire Blast?

Sunday

All we really need is for the arm to be moved a bit.... Don't get your panties in a bunch.
Exactly the point! Moving the arms and revealing a body (which is not visible in the sketch, and therefore they don't have much to go by on how it should look) isn't exactly necesary.

Though I do like Mayi's, now that the abdonen is shaded a bit better.

And here's one with legs visible.

I don't really know if it makes that much of a difference, but they're there.

Edit: One on the right has a larger leg.

Voted Zap cannon and Fire blast

Zapcannon because even with Compound eyes(which means forgoing SR immunity) its still gonna miss alot and Fire blast because a ice/bug learning it would be silly

KoA

is an Artist
[build hype]
Alright, once I finish the wings, it will be complete!
[/build hype]

Sunday

I had a go at moving the right arm, just to be different :P

The results are so-so. I think it looked better before, and I made the arm go right to the edge. I will have ago at the right arm next.

@ Miya - Neither are too different (both good!), but I'm inclined towards the bigger leg'd one. Though I think the leg needs a whiter tip.

I'd like to take a moment to think about this building process in the long run. So far, this Create-a-Pokemon process has gone quite nicely, and I presume that this thing will be complete by about the twelfth poll or so. From then on, it will be subjected to a bunch of testing, correct?

Depending on Cooper's feelings about how this has turned out, as well as the rest of the participants, we may want to try to tackle this on a large scale. As some have mentioned, we could very feasibly create an entirely new generation of Pokemon. Once we finish this little beast, we will be a lot more adept at how the process works, cutting time on creation. I could see us very feasibly creating an entire new generation of 100+ Pokemon within three months.

I know I'm thinking way ahead right now, but this has just gone so smoothly and well that I don't see why an entirely new generation should not be considered. The Smogon community, as a whole, is clearly the best equipped community to tackle such a task and is fully capable of doing so. We could quite easily create a balanced metagame, an entirely new generation if we wanted. And, whether or not the members think it is "irrelevant" since it will not be "canon," so, what? I am sure that over half of the members here have all dreamed of creating a generation of competitive beasties, at some point.

Why should it not get Earthquake or Close Combat?

Zong gets EQ, as does Infernape, one floats and the other ways 121 lbs...

Also, if we look at this poke, it bsaically, to me, seems like a new version of Lucario and Infernape with different typing and stats that are a bit better. So why should it not get Close Combat? It won't get STAB like Lucario and Infernape, and if Heracross gets CC, I see no reason why this bad boy shouldn't get it too.

Just some things to think about...

KoA

is an Artist
EQ is reasonable with Zong though as all it has to do is fall to the ground.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
For all of you debating the moveset of this pokemon, feel free to skip this post. This post is a very long rant about the sprite art being posted. tl;dr follows....

For all of you working on this sprite, I'd like to remind you of the common courtesy of artistic credit. Unless you create something as an "original creation", it is normally considered bad form to present a "derivative work" without giving credit to the original artist. In this case, for all of you referring to "Sunday's Sprite" or "Sanjay's Sprite" or whatever -- I'd like to remind you that the sprite in question is my creation. Meaning, I am the original artist that drew this thing up from scratch. Everyone else has been doctoring the colors or altering minor features. I don't have a problem with that. In fact, I expressly invited everyone to give input, with hopes of making it better. Actually, I intended for it to be used as inspiration for other artists to create better ORIGINAL sprites.

Somewhere along the way, this sprite has taken on a life of its own. Everyone is acting like they can change a few pixels and call it their own. That's not how it works. If you want to act like you created something, then go create something original. If you modify someone else's stuff, give due credit. And traditionally, alterations to an original creation are implicitly or explicitly submitted to the original artist for acceptance. Taking ownership of someone else's creation is discourteous at best, plagiarism at worst.

If you go back and read all my posts, I have gone out of my way to give credit to Cyzir, considering that the design and pose are his. Also, the head of this "new" sprite was a copy of the head from one of Cyzir's WIP sprites. I mentioned that in my first post where I incorporated the head into my sprite. If Cyzir objects to the use of the head in my sprite, I'll take it out. Since he is the original artist of that peice, he can decide how and where it is used. I'd be surprised if he did that, but it's his prerogative as the original artist.

For all the rest of you that have taken this sprite and run with it, please keep in mind that unless you create something new from scratch, you don't own it. Your edits and modifications do not constitute a new original work. They are suggested improvements to the original work. As someone mentioned earlier, it is a helluva lot harder to create something from scratch that it is to play with someone else's creation. Keep that in mind when you start posting derivative works and implicitly or explicitly calling it "yours".

Just to set the record straight, here are "my" sprites that I created completely from scratch except in the cases of using Cyzir's stuff as noted above.

My First Sprite:

My Second Sprite (with Cyzir's head):

Personally, I think Cyzir is going to post something fantastic that makes my sprite look like crap. His WIP sprites were really great and I think they'll get even better. If not, I'm still open to suggestions and improvements to my sprite.

Also, I'll reiterate that I think some new original sprites can be a lot better than these. Don't get me wrong, I worked on these a long time and I'm proud of the work. But I don't think my most recent version is very good. It's not horrible, but it needs more than coloring and shading to be great. I think the sprite we use should be great. So far, only Cyzir's sprites are great, IMHO. I'm excited to see what KOA comes up with. For everyone else making changes to my sprite, I like some of the changes and I don't like others. I won't mention which, because I don't think this sprite will be used -- so it's pointless to pick and choose.

As something to bat around and play with, I'm glad lots of people are getting involved. Like I said, I invited input from others and the discussion is interesting and fun. But, some of the posts I have seen have crossed the ethical line for attribution of original artworks. Artists generally don't do that to each other.

Even though it's just a sprite, it's a sprite I spent hours creating. Keep that in mind as you fix it up and post your "creations".

Sunday

Sorry, Miya. I could not resist having a go with your re-iteration (there you go, doug), and I must say, it's faboulas! (sp) I love the details and the sparkles you've added around the wings.

I simply brightened the tip of the foot a bit and defined the line between the foot and the hand.

On the topic of Dougs post.

I never meant for any of my posts to seem as if I, or anyone else, was taking ownership of your sprite. Perhaps I should have used "re-iteration" or "version", instead of using the word "Sprite". Or perhaps I simply used the word "sprite" too lightly when refering to this creation. I simply meant to illustrate how the sprite had "evolved" as certain people added their own imput, and their own touch to it. Be it as little as shading an arm or as big as moving an entire arm.

EDIT: One thing I would like to see, though, is the version of this sprite where the arms look "cuffed" being the second frame in the animation sequence. So it sarts with arms by it's sides, thrusts them out twice while doing it's cry, then goes back o the pose of the above sprite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)