CAP 1 Smogon's First "Create a Pokemon": Poll 8

Which moves DON'T you want to see on our new pokemon (PICK TWO)

• Zap Cannon

Votes: 75 33.2%
  • Thunderpunch

Votes: 20 8.8%
  • Close Combat

Votes: 54 23.9%
  • Focus Blast

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Fire Blast

Votes: 116 51.3%
  • Stone Edge

Votes: 44 19.5%
  • Earthquake

Votes: 52 23.0%
  • Earth Power

Votes: 28 12.4%
  • Hydro Pump

Votes: 81 35.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
How many sprites do we need in all? Three, right? Two "against" poses for the animation, and one "behind" pose, correct? After that, we just need to establish the entire move-set -- TMs, Egg Moves, and Level-up Moves. With Egg Moves comes Egg Group. Finally, we just need to add in a description for a Pokedex entry, and I think we'd be set.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
And the party icon sprites. Also, I'm going to try to conjure up a cry for it.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Hmm, maybe I'll give that a go later on

Anyway, back to my question.

Umm...
I managed to get my Animation done, but I'm having some trouble running i in anything other than Image ready and uploading it. Can anyone guide me through the entire process (yes I saved it as a gif...)

KoA

is an Artist
I don't use imageready for animations, so I can't really help ya out there.

I prefer Ulead Gif Animator 5.

KoA

is an Artist
It's definitely worth it. It's really easy to use and powerful to boot.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Dam, I can't since I'm on my mac right now :/

Anyway, back to my original question...

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
After looking at all these sprites, I'm reminded of something about moves (OMG, I'm on-topic!). If this thing really needs an Electric and/or Fire move, why not give it the three elemental Fangs? The design clearly has fangs featured prominently on the face, and the fangs are not overpowered due to the relatively low BP. Sure, it's not a near-perfect-accuracy Fire Blast or Thunder. But, for type-coverage, it can be used in a pinch. This pokemon has the speed to put the flinchax to use, unlike slow fang-users like Hippowdon. Concept-wise, the fangs fit much better than most of those moves listed in the poll. Could be a good compromise?

KoA

is an Artist
I think the fang idea is a perfect compromise. :)

Also, I finished the party sprites as well as animated it.

KoA

is an Artist
I'm working on the cry as well. It's gotta sound as cool as it looks.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Voted for Close Combat and Hydro Pump.

Fire Blast is going to be stricken anyway and I wanted to take out two options that would be completely ridiculous on this pokemon, one of which has been argued for repetitively.

I have two more in mind, but these are the most offensive.

Remember Folks, we've already given this:

70/116/70/114/64/121 Stats (555 Base)

Bug/Ice typing.

Ice Shell, which nullifies SR and rock attacks on the switchin. The second ability would be Compoundeyes.

So I really think giving this random 120 Base Power moves that really can't be justified by more than "I don't want this to be walled by Blissey. I want this to be able to wipe out Snorlax. Skarm should be KO'd if it even tries to revenge kill this. Lets give it something to take out Forretress. Oh, and I want this to take out Cresselia in the same moveset too!" is ridiculous.

If we do that we're not creating a mixed sweeper, we're essentially just saying we should let Mew or Deoxys-FR into the metagame. Great stats, awesome ability, and unstoppable movepool.

i went for fire blast and earthquake. fire blast because with his stats, it would take down basically anyone in its way. earthquake because everybody and their mother learns it. not literally, cuz i realize that ditto cant learn it, but i just checked. 34% of all pokemon learn it by TM. 34 %. i just think that this pokemon doesnt need the most overused(although it is for a good reason) move.

The cry seems weird, i just can't place it. Needs a slight fixing. But then again, i don't even know how to make a cry.

aw man awesomes. although it'd be cool if it were actually based on an existing animal since i guess thats what most pogeys are based one.. T.T.. a cockchaffer beetle would be cool cos of its large antannae and its fluffy collar thing that seems icy DX. but i wouldn't change it from KoA's design, cos its just that awesome.

The cry seems weird, i just can't place it. Needs a slight fixing. But then again, i don't even know how to make a cry.
It sounds like the noise Vader's mask made when he pulled it off in the sixth movie. Maybe we could just use that? No one will notice, so there won't be any copyright infringement suits!

Great job on the animation, KoA. That's really cool. I don't think we're going to have to take this to a vote, since everyone but you seems to have given up in light of your sprite skills.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
It sounds like the noise Vader's mask made when he pulled it off in the sixth movie. Maybe we could just use that? No one will notice, so there won't be any copyright infringement suits!

Great job on the animation, KoA. That's really cool. I don't think we're going to have to take this to a vote, since everyone but you seems to have given up in light of your sprite skills.
Cyzir was working on some sprites, and his work-in-progress stuff looked pretty good. While I think KoA's sprites are clearly the best of what's been posted so far, we should give Cyzir a chance to show off his results before making any decisions.

IMO, the only ones that should be there are focus blast, thunderpunch, and earth power, maybe stone edge but I dunno. The rest, I would have voted for them all but I chose Fire Blast and Zap Cannon. And I think i've grown more fond of the pokemon picture now lol

EDIT: I like you're sprite a lot KoA :)

So Cooper, what about the Elemental Fangs? Someone suggested them earlier, and they seem like a great alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)