Some sort of Egg 'RNG' Abuse (Read the first post!)

Has anyone realized how many stats which parent usually pass?

It seems like most of the time the mother passes three stats. However there was one of like thirty times where the mother passed down 4 IVs. Wither that or the wildcard stat was perfect and we missed the opportunity of breeding a perfect Pokemon. We did the tests with only quint-flawless Magikarps.

Never heard of father passing down more stats than the mother. Do you have some experience in that?
Yes, the father can pass more stats then the mother. Indeed, I've had spreads where all 5 stats were from the father. I think that it's pretty much random with the two sides symmetrical.

If you want to check to see if a stat was perfect randomly, get a pair of magikarps with no perfect stats and do a second test on each egg. However, assuming the flaw in each magikarp is the same, you'd only need to when the flawed stat is supposedly the random stat.

Has anyone realized how many stats which parent usually pass?

It seems like most of the time the mother passes three stats. However there was one of like thirty times where the mother passed down 4 IVs. Wither that or the wildcard stat was perfect and we missed the opportunity of breeding a perfect Pokemon. We did the tests with only quint-flawless Magikarps.

Never heard of father passing down more stats than the mother. Do you have some experience in that?
I've had only the father pass stats. Out of the last 5 eggs I've done, the father passed more than the mother 4 times.

Edit: Oops, forgot to refresh before replying. :)

What if an item other than everstone/d-knot is necessary (e.g. light ball for breeding volt tackle on Pichu)? Is the generalized method the same? Someone had better test this out, I don't have X or Y yet.

In case anyone is curious about what the IV judge says about a 0/0/0/0/0/0 pokemon:

(Warning: terrible recording quality)
video here
A 0/0/0/0/0/0 mon is harder to get than a 31/31/31/31/31/31 mon lol.

Congrats to whoever that was. Although why he ever did so is beyond my scope of comprehension.

He should produce a ton of them and Wonder Trade them! :P

So this thread has already confirmed that using test Magikarps works just fine for 12.5% gender ratio Pokemon in terms of passing down the correct IVs.
I've been producing Modest Fennekin's using this method and fairly quickly got a perfect IV one (except for Atk stat), so it is indeed the ideal Fennekin!
However...it's male. I was hoping to get a female one (and just keep my newly perfect male Fennekin as a helper in crossbreeding with other Field-group Pokemon).

I've already tried softresetting the scouting baby Magikarp and confirmed after 7+ resets that the gender is indeed locked (got a female Magikarp each time).
Thinking this would guarantee a female Fennekin when I swapped out the Magikarps, it did not (but the IV spread was still correct as predicted).

So my new plan is start using 12.5% ratio Pokemon as the scouters for trying to produce my ideal-IV-female-Fennekin. To be specific, I would simply repeatedly Reject/Save/Accept+Hatch/Softreset/Re-reject until it hatches female, which would then be my cue to swap out the scouters with the necesssary Fennekins.

Before I waste time doing this, is this theory correct?
And if I am, can I choose any 12.5% female ratio Pokemon as the breeding couple to SR my way into a locked gender of my choice? Or does it have to be the same species (in which case I would just use two Fennekins with two diversely different stats as my scouter).

Last edited:
Combee should be your 7:1 male-female scouters; for details, you should compare this list to this one (look only at the 7:1 male-female Mons). Combee take 16 egg cycles (4080 steps) to hatch; technically Togepi take 11 (2805) but Togepi themselves cannot breed until they evolve into Togetic, which means more steps plus a rare candy (or battling). Combee are readily available on route 4, but Togepi line are not so much. Combee strategy is preferred for this reason.

Last edited:
A 0/0/0/0/0/0 mon is harder to get than a 31/31/31/31/31/31 mon lol.

Congrats to whoever that was. Although why he ever did so is beyond my scope of comprehension.

He should produce a ton of them and Wonder Trade them! :P
That was me. It was supposed to be a side project while I was breeding a 186 iv Magikarp, but somehow I managed to finish it first. Honestly I don't know why i did it either, considering how I wrote that long argument about how it's not worth it.

I did wonder trade a few. I didn't have that many leftovers because I was using the rng breeding method. They'll be up for trade soon, after I get my female one hatched.

So this thread has already confirmed that using test Magikarps works just fine for 12.5% gender ratio Pokemon in terms of passing down the correct IVs.
I've been producing Modest Fennekin's using this method and fairly quickly got a perfect IV one (except for Atk stat), so it is indeed the ideal Fennekin!
However...it's male.
I also discovered this independently of this thread. Magikarp testing confirms everything except the baby's gender. There should be no reason to have separate test parents for 7:1.

What about the 3:1 gender ratios? Abra, Vulpix etc

Last edited:
say i have a female rattled magikarp breed with a normal ability male magikarp that gives an offspring with its hidden ability with my desired IVs.
i then reset the game and swap it with a female protean froakie and a male froakie.
will i be getting an offspring that has its hidden ability too?

say i have a female rattled magikarp breed with a normal ability male magikarp that gives an offspring with its hidden ability with my desired IVs.
i then reset the game and swap it with a female protean froakie and a male froakie.
yes, HA ability inheritance is locked, so long as it is still possible.

yes, HA ability inheritance is locked, so long as it is still possible.
I've been using nothing but nonHA karps for the Fennekin breeding, so if you can't get one I don't think it's essential or possibly even accurate. The female Fennekin I swapped out for had an HA (and females have a high chance of passing on HAs regardless of method anyway) and after many eggs I only had one or two that hatched into nonHA ones.

May I ask how we know for sure that the HA is locked in with the scouts? I already know it's been confirmed through tests that no matter how many times we SR, we're getting the same result, but an inconsistency is that though the two Magikarps may result in a female, you can swap them out for 7:1 Pokemon (like my Fennekins or your Froakies) and it will still very likely result in a male (despite still having the scouts' correct IV inheritance). So if gender isn't locked, it's quite possible HA isn't locked either (which wouldn't be a big deal as probability is already on our side).

To be clear, I know that if our non-scout egg had an HA, it would definitely have an HA no matter how many times you SR. I'm just dubious that the scouts had anything to do with it, and that what really happened is that the nonscout egg had an HA because a player chanced on one, in which then it would be locked in.

Or perhaps what Arc Tech is true if you're using scouts that have the same gender ratio as your desired Pokemon? Or I could also just be completely wrong about everything.

I've been using nothing but nonHA karps for the Fennekin breeding, so if you can't get one I don't think it's essential or possibly even accurate. The female Fennekin I swapped out for had an HA (and females have a high chance of passing on HAs regardless of method anyway) and after many eggs I only had one or two that hatched into nonHA ones.

May I ask how we know for sure that the HA is locked in with the scouts? I already know it's been confirmed through tests that no matter how many times we SR, we're getting the same result, but an inconsistency is that though the two Magikarps may result in a female, you can swap them out for 7:1 Pokemon (like my Fennekins or your Froakies) and it will still very likely result in a male (despite still having the scouts' correct IV inheritance). So if gender isn't locked, it's quite possible HA isn't locked either (which wouldn't be a big deal as probability is already on our side).

To be clear, I know that if our non-scout egg had an HA, it would definitely have an HA no matter how many times you SR. I'm just dubious that the scouts had anything to do with it, and that what really happened is that the nonscout egg had an HA because a player chanced on one, in which then it would be locked in.

Or perhaps what Arc Tech is true if you're using scouts that have the same gender ratio as your desired Pokemon? Or I could also just be completely wrong about everything.
The bits that determine the gender are locked. If you use scouts of a different gender ratio to the actual parents, the gender itself is not locked.

Also, the hidden ability can only be received if the mom has a hidden ability. If the scout egg's mom does not have the hidden ability and the SRed parents do, or visa versa, then the hidden ability is not locked. In fact, if the moms have different ability slots (i.e. Keen Eye Pidgey, then Guts Raticate), then the ability is not locked.

This is really interesting since it's my first time reading about such mechanics. Will try them out this week.
But just wondering...to get that 31 in the random stat, we basically keep hatching the egg and running to the Kiloude guy to check?
Since IV calculators don't work for Level 1 pokemon right? This is the only part which I find a hassle, or is there any other way to get the IV info which I missed out in this thread?

Last edited:
Use the Battle Institute on the North Boulevard of Lumiose. They set pokemon's levels to 50 during the duration of the five battles. As long as the IVs of your test parents aren't too close to each other that's more than enough information to effectively use an IV calculator. You're not forced to save either, so you can soft reset out of the battle after checking the stats and be back at the Day Care when you reload.

I have a question. After I get the desired IV spread with magikarps or any other surveys, is it going to stay locked until I hatch another egg? Can I go freely through the world, catch other pokemon (dittos, in my case) and then come back and still have the same spread?

I have a question. After I get the desired IV spread with magikarps or any other surveys, is it going to stay locked until I hatch another egg? Can I go freely through the world, catch other pokemon (dittos, in my case) and then come back and still have the same spread?
Probably something to test later, but I was able battle the Lumiose city restaurant double battles 3 times to get moves onto my Smeargle and the spread stayed the same

I think getting a 0/0/0/0/0/0 and a 31/31/31/31/31/31 to breed with is definitely worth it. I got my 0/0/0/0/0/0 in a few hours starting from nothing, it's really convenient not having to type every babies stats into an iv calculator, especially when you're not around a computer. That being said I have an extra male and an extra female pachirisu with 6 0 IVs

Pardon a perhaps stupid question, but I noticed a recurring insistence for an IV calculator (in the context for this RNG method). Is there an advantage to using an IV calculator over just the Battle Institute+IVchecker guy in the Kiloude?

I made sure both scouting parents had neutral natures and then made sure they didn't have any matching stats through Battle Institute (I tossed away one of the first two Magikarps because the Attack or some other stat matched up, which would be troublesome). Just wanted to know if I'm missing anything essential.

Also, I was wondering what the advantage of using an all-0IV and all-31IV scout was. Wouldn't there be an equal chance of the random stat chancing on 31 and 0 as there would be in the random stat happened to match say, one of my two Magikarps' stats?

Also, I was wayyy late on the whole how-to-do-this-with-genderless ordeal. From the thread, I just read that you're supposed to use genderless scouts right? I was breeding Carbink with Ditto yesterday using the same Magikarp method and was mystified as to how it kept getting effed up.

If I use Magnemite (the recommended scout for genderless right?) and Ditto as scouts, how would I go about knowing what IVs would be distributed?

Advantage of using the Battle Institute: You don't need to have scouting parents with IVs of 31s and 0s. Seeing the lvl 50 stats means you can work out which parent has passed down which IV from those stats (so long as they don't overlap). Calculating IVs may express the same numbers in a familiar language, but it is possible to work out the inheritance from the raw stats. Neutral natures help with this.

Advantage of using the Kiloude IV judge: Speed. If you're using two parents with 31s and 0s in each stat (and opposite patterns) you can take the offspring to him and deduce which parent passed down which stat by paying attention to how he describes them. The one he doesn't mention will be the random. (Unless of course the random stat is 0 or 31, but that's easy enough to investigate using further test parents)

Not sure how much quicker the Kiloude guy is, I've only ever used the Institute so far myself. Even that's not prohibitively slow, however.

Using Magnemite & Ditto as test parents should work the same as the Magikarps you were using before. Make sure you know the IVs of the parents and check the stats of the offspring when it hatches. It might help to write the inheritance down as G/D/G/x/D/D etc. (Genderless, Ditto) to help keep track of which parent passed which stat. ;)

Thanks hippasus, that helped a bit. My only other question maintained would be the last one. With the Magikarps, I just jotted down the stats via Battle Institute. Pretty easy.
But now with Magnemite+Ditto as scouts, I can't just jot down stats. I'd record Magnemite's stats and Ditto's stats, but the resulting test egg Magnemite through the Battle Institute would at best only imply which stats came from the parent Magnemite, as Ditto's starting stats are different?

edit: oh wait. this is where an IV calculator would be essential i suppose. safe to assume genderless scouting is only possible with IV calculators then? i've never used one (new to the scene) but i'm sure it's intuitive enough.

I've had a 0v male Bidoof and 6v Sap Sipper Miltank (which I even gave egg moves) for a few weeks now, but I still don't have a 6v Sap Sipper female Marill to be used for Pokemon with two genders. If I had a single Sap Sipper Marill of my own I could take the time to breed one myself, but...
Well, the cloning glitch should make it easier for these test parents to be distributed. Certainly easier than rebreeding them. In fact I have already cloned one Miltank. The main reason I'm doing this is that using perfect parents will definitely be faster than using a calculator if you can just get them in a trade rather than have to breed them yourself. And in order for that to happen, someone has to breed them in the first place.

Last edited:
I've had a 0v male Bidoof and 6v Sap Sipper Miltank (which I even gave egg moves) for a few weeks now, but I still don't have a 6v Sap Sipper female Marill to be used for Pokemon with two genders. If I had a single Sap Sipper Marill of my own I could take the time to breed one myself, but...
Well, the cloning glitch should make it easier for these test parents to be distributed. Certainly easier than rebreeding them. In fact I have already cloned one Miltank. The main reason I'm doing this is that using perfect parents will definitely be faster than using a calculator if you can just get them in a trade rather than have to breed them yourself. And in order for that to happen, someone has to breed them in the first place.
Why not use a Huge Power Bunnelby? Same gender ratio, has 2 abilities plus a hidden one, and way easier to obtain than a Sap Sipper Marill

Why not use a Huge Power Bunnelby? Same gender ratio, has 2 abilities plus a hidden one, and way easier to obtain than a Sap Sipper Marill
I don't have a Bunnelby safari either. It's just as hard to obtain. Also it probably won't have less egg cycles than Marill. The "2 abilities" thing doesn't matter because of Ability Capsule.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)