Spelling and Grammar Standards

No it is used as in "a team that stacks Spikes", a "Spikes-stacking team"
The verb form would be "the team is designed to stack Spikes"

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Do not put a hyphen between an adverb and a noun. (Pichu can use a defensively oriented set or a specially based set.)
In this example, both oriented and based are verbs, not nouns.

Also, is it color or colour?

Edit: Yes...either way it's not a noun.

michael

m as in mancy
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Do not put a hyphen between an adverb and a noun. (Pichu can use a defensively oriented set or a specially based set.)
In this example, both oriented and based are verbs, not nouns.

Also, is it color or colour?
"oriented" isn't a verb as such. It's a verbal adjective, as is "based" (i.e. to base => based).

Color is the standard in American English.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I'm making Spiker a generally used term to describe a Pokemon meant to be used to set up Spikes and/or Toxic Spikes.

I'm justifying it by saying that we allow spinner too, so yeah.

I just really don't like saying "Spikes user" all the time

Is immunes an accepted term in analyses (as in something like "here is a list of several resists and immunes to a certain Pokemon's STAB: ...")? I know resists is fine, but immunes didn't seem to pop up in any analyses when I did a quick Google search.

Edit: Thanks sandshrewz.

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is immunes an accepted term in analyses (as in something like "here is a list of several resists and immunes to a certain Pokemon's STAB: ...")? I know resists is fine, but immunes didn't seem to pop up in any analyses when I did a quick Google search.
Use immunities instead? o.o

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Is it "setup sweepers," "set-up sweepers," or are both correct? It seems like I see both being used, sometimes, such as in the NU Ditto analysis, in the same article.
Rising_Dusk said:
Setup is a noun, used as follows: "Gyarados has an easy setup against Scizor."
Set up is a verb, used as follows: "Gyarados can easily set up against Scizor."
Set-up is an adjective, used as follows: "A set-up Gyarados is dangerous."
As set-up is the adjective, it probably should be set-up sweepers.

But that seems to contradict this rule from the OP:

When setup is being used as an adjective, spell it as setup and not set-up. (Pichu is setup bait for Mewtwo.) The verb form, to set up, is spelled as such. (Mewtwo can set up on Pichu.)
I'm a bit confused which takes precedence, especially since both forms are present in analyses on site.

Oglemi

Borf
Hmmm I've always followed what R_D had posted there long ago, (I seriously get confused each time myself), I'll edit the OP to make it so that set-up is the adjective. That's what I've gone by and we'll fix it to make it so.

if it makes any sense at all, how i understand (understood) it:

a setup sweeper refers to a sweeper that carries a setup move / that CAN potentially set up (with a boosting move, substitute, w/e) - for example dd gyarados, qd volcarona, sd terrakion, etc, in general

while a set-up sweeper means a sweeper that has already set up during a battle - for example, a gyarados at +1/+1

edit: i guess therefore the (probably very very general but, well, in my experience) rule is that the correct one to use is almost always 'setup sweeper' -- unless you're actually talking about the mon actually being fully set-up / boosted. say, idk, something like 'unaware quagsire can switch into a variety of set-up sweepers with impunity' (stfu no one get on my case for the actual veracity of this)

edit 2: might it help / be clearer to think of 'set-up' as a synonym for 'boosted' -- but more general? as in it'd cover setting up with substitute, and probably some other things i don't know / can't think of off the top of my head rn (rain dance kingdra / sunny day venusaur?)

Oglemi

Borf
o yeah ok that makes sense, the OP was correct then. In R_D's example he means an already set-up Gyarados, not a Gyarados that can set up.

If someone could be ever so kind and list out all the possible ways to use setup, that'd be super awesome and I'll just c/p that into the OP.

Oglemi

Borf
<Oglemi> also sirn hyphens are to be used with adjectives
<Oglemi> so a sleep inducer
<Oglemi> is two words
<Oglemi> if it was a sleep-inducing Pokemon
<Oglemi> then it'd be hyphenated
<RayJay> sleep-inducer could be a compound noun though
* macle has quit (Ping timeout)
<sirndpt> thanks!
<sirndpt> both
<sirndpt> :)
<Oglemi> Two words brought together as a compound may be written separately, written as one word, or connected by hyphens.
<Oglemi> it says we get to choose
<RayJay> exactly my point
<Oglemi> i personally like without the hyphen

So I'm going to say sleep inducer is unhyphenated like we decided subpar was.

• Weather (sun, rain, etc.) is not capitalized.
How does this work with sandstorm and hail? I know moves and abilities are supposed to be capitalized, so it's Rain Dance, Drizzle, rain, Sunny Day, Drought, sun, Sand Stream, and Snow Warning, but these last two seem a little unclear because Sandstorm and Hail are both moves as well as weather conditions. Should this just be on a case by case basis or should one always be used over the other?

Oglemi

Borf
Unless you're talking about the move Sandstorm or the move Hail, it should always be lowercase sandstorm and hail

Oglemi

Borf
OK I've seen this enough for me to become peeved by it lol

You are on a team. Your Pokemon are on a team.

You are never in a team, that's just not how it works, unless you're British, but we speak American here >:(

OK that is all

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This was updated earlier today with some points about using the word "crux" in analyses. Saying something like "X is the crux of the set" is largely useless, adds nothing a reader wouldn't know already to analysis, and is completely unoriginal. Most of the time, crux is the wrong word choice.

GatoDelFuego

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just to clarify, base should come before the numbers when talking about stats, such as "Blissey has a high base 255 HP", not "Blissey has a high 255 base HP", right?

GatoDelFuego

Can we update that in? I've seen a lot of writers do it over the past few weeks and it's not really a rule explained in the standards

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
yes the former is correct
I'd actually like to officially dispute this. Putting the number in the middle is splitting the term "base Attack" unnecessarily in a way that introduces ambiguity. I vastly prefer keeping the entire term intact to better differentiate between Attack and base Attack at a glance.

Honestly, maybe the answer is to capitalize the "base" and make Base Attack / Speed / whatever else an actual capitalized term. It seems like it would make sense.

Oglemi

Borf
I'd actually like to officially dispute this. Putting the number in the middle is splitting the term "base Attack" unnecessarily in a way that introduces ambiguity. I vastly prefer keeping the entire term intact to better differentiate between Attack and base Attack at a glance.

Honestly, maybe the answer is to capitalize the "base" and make Base Attack / Speed / whatever else an actual capitalized term. It seems like it would make sense.
We tend to only capitalize the things that the game capitalizes (Base Power, the stats, names, etc.). Base (stat) is not a coined term within the game. The only things that we do capitalize that aren't explicitly in the game are EVs and IVs.

I don't think any one is more correct than the other, but the "base x stat" wording is how it's been written since I've been a part of the GP team. I'd rather not change it at this point lest we have to go back through and change it in nearly every analysis ever written (since it tends to pop up in each analysis). Both sound just as correct to me in any case. I'd rather we stick to what we've been doing at this point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)