Not open for further replies.

Asek

Banned deucer.
A way to block people using /whois on you would be very cool
(sorry if already suggested)

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
In Netbattle, there were sprites for each pokemon from each generation that they existed from. You could choose which generation of sprites you wanted to use (for example, if you picked the Red/Blue sprite, it would change the original 151 pokemon to that, and any pokemon from the newer gens would have their sprites from their respective gens, so gen 2 pokes would have GSC sprites, etc).

I was just wondering if this would be possible to implement on Pokemon Showdown. It'd be cool to have some variety I think, and it was always one of my favorite parts of the Netbattle design. I know this would be pretty low priority if you were to work on this, but I would greatly appreciate it (if I can help in any way, I'm down).

A "move clock." The "kick inactive player" button doesn't really stop an opponent who usually makes a move with less than thirty seconds to go on the inactivity clock for several turns in a row.

A "move clock." The "kick inactive player" button doesn't really stop an opponent who usually makes a move with less than thirty seconds to go on the inactivity clock for several turns in a row.
You then inform a moderator who will then ban the player for timestalling.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
That's impossible... if a player waits until the last 30 seconds for two turns in a row, the clock will start at 30 seconds per turn for the rest of the game.

Like, seriously, if you wait until the last moment, the inactivity timer goes: 180 seconds, 60 seconds, 30 seconds, 30 seconds, 30 seconds...

Friend Box: PS Upgrade

Um. Yeah. Yup. There is something every would want but no one mentions it. This is a suggestion for PS, so don't lock this. This suggestion is so amazing it would be a crime to lock this thread. Okay, you ready? A friend list. Runescape and even ROBLOX use a friend place to chat with others and have fun, but what about PS? Is it just a battle simulator? Or can it be a fun place where you don't only battle, you can get tips for your teams, chat general stuff, talk about your rating, etc. The introduction of a friend list would be an outbreak. Those normal 1013 members would boost to around 1700. I am dead serious. When you have a friend, do you know if he is offline or not? The scrolling thing has a bunch of names and it would be impossible to find the right person. A friend list would fix all these problems. I will list all the benefits and details about of friend list. If the admins of PS like this, I hope you will use this suggestion.​

---------------
Benefits
---------------

• Easier to PM Users
  • See if Pals are Offline or Online
  • Privacy - Block Users
  • Less people in Lobby - Less Lag
  • Team Help
  • Popularity - Raikou was popular but was not a recognized user
  • Challenge Requests
  • Stats - Current Rank on Ladder, Date joined, Most Used Pokemon, DPPt Friend Code, etc
  • Profile PKMN Mascout

---------------
Hindrance
---------------

• Involves Advance Programming Skills to Create
  • People may be Threatened More (if they hesitate to block a user)
  • The World is a Bad Place
  • More Rules
  • PS may be slower
  • Too many Alts these days

As you can see a friend list is a great upgrade to PS. The problem is creating it will take time. It's up to you people from here on! Thanks!

MJB

Sup Peeps
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
This has been suggested multiple times... the main problem is no one can be bothered to do it, so it might happen at some point, but its not on the timeline atm

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
It doesn't require "advanced programming skills" to create a friend list. :P It does take a lot of time, though, and I have a lot I need to get done first...

Blizzard

@ NeverMeltIce
Some suggestions,

-> A tab below the 'Ladder' tab titled FAQ, or something. That'll prevent ppl from asking about glico2 or something like that.

-> '/ranking' when typed during battle chat, shows the ranking box in the lobby chat instead. Guess that could be easily fixed.

-> When a person types '/data' or '/learn' or something in the battle chat, it should be visible to both the players or every person available on the battle chat.

-> There could be a medal system or something similar, which will give you a badge or something when you cross a say, a ladder rating of 1900 or something like that. The badge can be viewed when you click on a player's name.

You could have badges for:
- ''Budding Player Badge''(blah blah)-Crossing 1500 in OU, UU, RU, Ubers, Random Battle
- ''OU Master''-Crossing 1900 in OU
- Crossing 1500, 1900 in Random Battle, UU, RU, NU, LC, other tiers
- Winning 50, 100, 200, battles(rated) in a row
And many more innovative badges like for involvement in chat or something...

The advantage of the above system is that the badges can tell how good a player you are even if you lose your ratings due to ladder resets or something. And this will attract players to Showdown! and will encourage people to play tiers other than OU.

-> There could be many more battle songs, allowing us to choose the song we want.

-> The battle backdrops are fantastic. Wish there could be more. Similarly, we could choose the backdrop we want.

Not sure if this has already been suggested, but the current simulator is rather laggy on things such as mobile devices and touchpads, and I beleive some people have problems with lag on normal computers as well because of lacking internet connection. I am not an experienced programmer, but could some of the lag stem from animations and the chat?

If you could add the options to turn off the chat and attack/sprite animation that would probably help people with this problem. Again, I am not good with programming and I have no idea if this is possible, but it would be great if you could.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Can you implement a cartridge legal sleep clause? The current option on Pokemon Showdown creates battle conditions that are impossible to replicate on the cartridge. This is a lot less minor than you might think - for example, a Choice locked Sleep move is much safer in PS as you won't lose the game if you stay in. Spamming Spore and hoping that Blissey you slept was Natural Cure is a risk free strategy in PS when it is extremely risky on cartridge.

I'm not saying Smogon should change its policies (well, I think they should, but it's a separate issue), but for those of us that want to host servers that replicate game mechanics perfectly, we should have the option.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I apologize if this has been mentioned countless times already, but is it possible for Showdown! to notify users when somebody messages them? I frequently miss messages sent my way ;(

MJB

Sup Peeps
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
Can you implement a cartridge legal sleep clause? The current option on Pokemon Showdown creates battle conditions that are impossible to replicate on the cartridge. This is a lot less minor than you might think - for example, a Choice locked Sleep move is much safer in PS as you won't lose the game if you stay in. Spamming Spore and hoping that Blissey you slept was Natural Cure is a risk free strategy in PS when it is extremely risky on cartridge.

I'm not saying Smogon should change its policies (well, I think they should, but it's a separate issue), but for those of us that want to host servers that replicate game mechanics perfectly, we should have the option.

The catridge's dont have sleep clause in any measure.

If you want to run your own server that is accurate, simply change the Rulesets in data > Formats.js, such that whatever tiers you wish to play don't have sleep clause

If you want to run your own server that is accurate, simply change the Rulesets in data > Formats.js, such that whatever tiers you wish to play don't have sleep clause
I'm not sure you understood what Cim was trying to say. Basically "breaking sleep clause" = loosing.

"The catridge's dont have sleep clause in any measure."
Of course not, that is exactly the point. As he said, on PS if you double spore after putting a Blissey to sleep, expecting it to be Natural Cure, but with it actually being Serene Grace, well, nothing happens to put it simply. Spore will just fail and the match will just continue as normal. However, if you do this on a cartridge, you will be effectively breaking the sleep clause, and subsequently loose the match. That means that, to some extent PS is altering the game mechanics, and that obviously goes against Smogon's own philosophy of adhering to cartridge's mechanics in simulator play as much as possible. Needless to say I wholeheartedly with cim on this issue.

cim

I am well aware that there is no "soft sleep clause" in any game. That's why I made my post. I am asking for PS coders, if they wish, to make a "hard Sleep Clause" that does not rely on changing game mechanics. The simplest is "If two Pokemon on the opponents team are asleep at the end of a turn, you lose." However, that version doesn't account for self-inflicted Sleep moves.

If you wish to claim PS is a "Pokemon simulator", you can't have soft Sleep Clause. The game is no longer Pokemon if a battle could not be played on a Pokemon cartridge.

From this thread - something like Solution 1 or 3 http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3457184

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
Creator of PS
I am well aware that there is no "soft sleep clause" in any game. That's why I made my post. I am asking for PS coders, if they wish, to make a "hard Sleep Clause" that does not rely on changing game mechanics. The simplest is "If two Pokemon on the opponents team are asleep at the end of a turn, you lose." However, that version doesn't account for self-inflicted Sleep moves.

If you wish to claim PS is a "Pokemon simulator", you can't have soft Sleep Clause. The game is no longer Pokemon if a battle could not be played on a Pokemon cartridge.

From this thread - something like Solution 1 or 3 http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3457184
As you've noticed, I made the thread you linked to.

There's a lot of problems with a cartridge-possible Sleep Clause. With variants of Cathy's Sleep Clause, the main problem is that it's possible to accidentally lose the entire game, even a game that you have a massive advantage in, because you weren't paying attention to what is or isn't asleep, or because you weren't thinking about whether or not Sleep Clause was in effect.

Variants of ete's Sleep Clause, on the other hand, suffers from preventing a lot of valid strategies in situations where a chance of instaloss is worth it, such as gambling that a Blissey was Natural Cure.

Really, the current Sleep Clause, while impossible to implement on-cartridge, gets the least number of complaints. :S

cim

Really, the current Sleep Clause, while impossible to implement on-cartridge, gets the least number of complaints. :S
I think the fundamental "the game is no longer 'Pokemon'" complaint is honestly more important than whether or not you can use a Choice locked Sleep move against a trapping Pokemon. People lose a million different ways by "not paying attention" already. Maybe a little "WARNING!" light of some sort by a move that can cause Sleep if you are at risk of activating it or something would be neat.

That said, I know I'm in the minority here.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
Creator of PS
I know, I don't like the "the game is no longer 'Pokemon'" aspect, either, but still. People can get setbacks by not paying attention, but it's usually not on the order of "losing the entire game". I think if it's possible to lose without letting six of your Pokemon faint (or forfeiting), then the game really is no longer Pokemon.

No, Zarel, those are two completely different things. Agreeing with your opponent(s) that you loose if you put two of your opponent's Pokémon to sleep is something completly possible when playing on a cartridge. It's just an extra rule that both players agree to (much like the tiering of Pokémon), and it in no shape, way or form changes the game mechanics. Making moves fail when they normally wouldn't, however, is.

If you loose a game because of being distracted and putting two Pokémon to sleep it's you own fault. I don't see how that can warrant a blatant change in game mechanics, tbh. More so when that can be easily fixed with a warning popping up, like Cim suggested.

EDIT: Most competitive gaming circuits that I know of have this kind of rules that are player enforced, and can't be forced by the game. Even in MLG Pro Circuits for CoD there are specifically banned attachements and equipments.

Small (read: tiny/trivial) suggestion. An update on the /commands command. Currently, /commands says that only moderators can forcerename; drivers also have this capability.

The other results for /commands are all accurate, to my knowledge.

Edit: I think drivers should get modlog. I can't think of a reason for them not to.

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
-> There could be a medal system or something similar, which will give you a badge or something when you cross a say, a ladder rating of 1900 or something like that. The badge can be viewed when you click on a player's name.

You could have badges for:
- ''Budding Player Badge''(blah blah)-Crossing 1500 in OU, UU, RU, Ubers, Random Battle
- ''OU Master''-Crossing 1900 in OU
- Crossing 1500, 1900 in Random Battle, UU, RU, NU, LC, other tiers
- Winning 50, 100, 200, battles(rated) in a row
And many more innovative badges like for involvement in chat or something...

The advantage of the above system is that the badges can tell how good a player you are even if you lose your ratings due to ladder resets or something. And this will attract players to Showdown! and will encourage people to play tiers other than OU.
This is intriguing - I suggested this to Zarel ages ago, except with a kind of reward system attached (like unlockable sprites, etc).

He said Game Freak would sue q__q

Honus

magna carta
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Sorry if this is too farfetched or has been suggested but could there maybe be a thing where you can select replays from the ps database to save replays to a list [like you can select them from the list of replays and hit like /replaylist on showdown or something]. Alternatively a "My Battles" tab on the site of replays that has a list of all the replays you've saved. Having replays permanently and easily at hand was probably one of the things I liked when the program worked for PO so it would be cool if PS had this too maybe.

Also I doubt anyone would sue about that medal thing if you just had them there and didn't call them anything or give the achievements titles.

I think, in the next PS update, there should be an option to drag and place your Pokemon in Teambuilder to wherever you see fit in the lineup. Like, if you don't like the order of your team in Teambuilder, you could move it around to where you want it.

This is intriguing - I suggested this to Zarel ages ago, except with a kind of reward system attached (like unlockable sprites, etc).

He said Game Freak would sue q__q
bmelts was talking about this last night. Nintendo tolerates simulators provided they follow three simple rules.

1) No profiting.

2) Only simulate battles (and not the rest of the game)

3) No other RPG elements (like a leveling system of any kind).

The reward system would appear to violate the third rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)