Supernova (A Gen V Uber(?) Team)

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Introduction
As soon as Gen V began, I began to take interest in the unofficial Uber tier (as if that's unexpected...). Though yes, it's not technically an "Uber" tier until the banlists are decided, but I'll treat it as such of course. After being able to accidentally fit in a certain Pokemon on this team, I began laddering on PO, and peaked at #1 with 1530 CRE (on WiFi ladder). I guess this isn't too much of an accomplishment though since almost no one knows how to play, but I made sure I played against several well known players along the way (well...not on the ladder). And although I didn't bother laddering for Dream World Ubers, this team did fairly well except it despises a certain someone. Enough about this though. Let's proceed on with the team

The Lineup (Team at a Glance is getting boring)

Ugh what is Palkia doing...

Credits go to Arkeis for the animations, veekun for the rest.

An In Depth Look

Forretress (M) @ Custap Berry
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 SDef
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Gyro Ball
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin

Well I probably don't have to explain in depth on how Forretress works in general. It sets up Spikes and Toxic Spikes for the team. But in Gen V, Sturdy now acts like a Focus Sash, which allows Forretress to act like a suicide lead if it has to. Coupled with Custap Berry, Forretress grabs one layer of Spikes and TS more often than not (For some reason Custap is allowed on WiFi ladder but if you guys feel uncomfortable with me posting this, let me just say that I've used Lum Berry with decent success too).

However, the moveset is a bit different. Since this thing generally acts as a suicide lead to keep momentum, I worry more about things setting up on me and gaining momentum against me. With Max Attack, Brave, and Gyro Ball, Forretress can deal respectable damage against Rayquaza, Mewtwo, and Darkrai. It also helps with speed boosting Pokemon such as Blaziken in the Dream World (who by the way takes >40% from Gyro Ball, despite resistance), Rock Polish Groudon, and perhaps most importantly, the rather rare Shell Break Cloyster which actually does a ton of damage if it sets up. At one time I've also been able to revenge a DDed 75% HP Salamence with Forretress when it went into Custap range. Unfortunately, Forretress loses quite a bit of bulk, but I have backup for that.

The cool part about Forretress is that it can forfeit his lead position under WiFi clause, and come in later in the game with its decent bulk and resists. The sad part is that it's a somewhat of a set up bait (I considered making this thing hold Red Card so it can set up all day on set uppers then phaze them away as they attack while Forry hangs on to Sturdy, but it doesn't help if Forretress is switching into things because it'll phaze the opponent away from being set up on), so I need some defensive backup. The other sucky part is that Reshiram plows through it with Turbo Blaze so I can't attempt to suicideon that without doing anything else :(.

Considering Deoxys-S over Forretress, but I like Forry due to Toxic Spikes and Rapid Spin

Groudon @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 76 SDef / 4 Spe
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Tail

Lol at shuffly animation

I really have issues trying to make teams without this guy. He's too good of a physical tank to pass up. Groudon fits on this team for many many reasons - it sets up Stealth Rock, takes on boosted hits from Arceus / Rayquaza / etc, counters BP Mew with Dragon Tail, blocks Thunder and Thunder Wave, and provides with the necessary sunlight to keep things running. I'm not too sure what to make off the Defensive EVs though. I am considering just maxing Defense because it minimizes the chance Adamant Extremekiller can 2HKO Groudon with SDed Silk Scarf ES.

Earthquake and Stealth Rock are musts, obviously. Stone Edge covers Ho-Oh who otherwise plows through this team (as if it didn't give enough issues already). Dragon Tail is a blessing to Groudon - it phazes through Taunt and does decent damage to Dragons, which combined with entry hazards can deal massive damage. Unfortunately, it doesn't phaze through Substitute, but I have that covered.

Giratina-O @ Griseous Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 248 Atk / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SDef)
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Sneak
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Dragon Claw / Outrage

Spinblocker yadah yadah. Also my check to RPDon, and helps against Mewtwo (Shadow Sneak does 51% min). Giratina-O's function in this generation hasn't really changed (yet). However, I decided to reset the Speed EVs because quite frankly, Giratina-O will lose the Speed race due to the 30 Speed IV granted by Hidden Power Fire. In the meantime, I decided to bolster his Special Attack so Draco Meteor can do respectable amounts of damage (just slightly less than Naive MixMence LO DM). Unfortunately I can't really think of any EV spreads off the top of my head so I'll stick with this for now.

Despite Payback no longer doubling in power on switches, I chose Naughty over Lonely because this thing serves as a check to RPGroudon, SDScizor (still), and Mewtwo (Psycho Break, though Ice Beam hurts more now).

I'm considering Outrage over Dragon Claw to land a bigger hit on the super annoying Ho-Oh and Bulky CM Kyogre. The latter can prove to be a pain if it's the last Pokemon and Arceus can phaze it no longer.

Arceus-Steel @ Iron Plate
Trait: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Judgment
- Calm Mind
- Roar
- Recover

Here's the tank and stallbreaker...kind of. Steel Arceus provides the team with the incredibly necessary Dragon resistance and Toxic immunity. Forretress can't really do this forever and I need something that can actually switch into Blissey when needed. Steel Arceus also handles Kyogre in the sun (I'd switch Groudon in on a non attacking move then swap to Arceus), and helps greatly against Lati@s in Dream World. Due to the fact that it is now fully EVable, Arceus can now CM faster than Latias to soften the boosted hits, before Roaring it away later. Since I lack Toxic, Steel Arceus also provides a way of dealing with CM Lugia (unless it gets into endgame which really makes this difficult, but oh well). Finally, Roar on Arceus helps me handle the Substitute passers who block Groudon's Dragon Tail.

Unfortunately, Steel Arceus opens up a way for Reshiram and Ho-Oh to come in and do massive damage. Actually, the worst thing that could come into Steelceus is Shadow Tag Shandera -_-.

Reshiram @ Choice Specs
Trait: Turbo Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Flamethrower
- Blue Flame
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Pulse

The team's powerhouse, of course. Reshiram first came into the team when I accidentally found a spot for it while trying to make a Zekrom team. I used it and never looked back. This thing is awesome.

I hope the moveset is self-explanatory, so I won't go into it. Instead, I'll just give you some facts on its raw power: Specs Draco Meteor does 83%-98% to 4 / 0 Kyogre. If Kyogre thinks it can safely switch in, it'll probably end up dead and thus allowing Groudon to come in and set up the sunlight forevermore. Specs Sun Blue Fire does 47%-55% to Blissey and 38%-45% to Evolution Stone Chansey, easily 2HKOing after two layers of any entry hazards. It also does a respectable 38% or so to Palkia, which is pretty nice considering it is quad resisted. Specs Blue Fire also does 67% min to Naughty Giratina-O...Having STAB on Dragon and Fire helps more than what's been mentioned. Several Pokemon can be OHKOed by BOTH Draco Meteor and Blue Fire (Groudon, anyone?), which makes it really tough for the opponent to predict against it. One of the fun things about Reshiram is that you can switch into something it'd scare away and just throw the NVE move, and you'll probably catch the switch in and very likely kill it.

Reshiram does a couple of things for the team. It provides the team with a handy immunity to burns, allowing it to wall Stalltwo, and a quad resistance to Fire which allows it to take on enemy Reshiram Blue Fires, if needed. Reshiram also cuts up Steel and Grass Arceus, easily OHKOing both of them even if they have Calm Minded twice, and clears out the annoying Heatran and Bulk Up Dialga.

Palkia @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower / Fire Blast
- Thunder
- Outrage

The revenger. Palkia's role also remained unchanged from Gen IV, aiding the team in checking Kyogres and revenging things like Darkrai and Rayquaza. Palkia also revenges the new speeding thread named Nitro Charge Reshiram (also Palkia quad resists Blue Fire). So yeah, this thing holds quite a bit of glue on the team.

I chose Draco Meteor over Spacial Rend because the extra power is helpful against Darkrai (whom it OHKOes with DM, but not with Spacial Rend), Haban Garchomp, and Dialga. Flamethrower goes well with the sun and eats up Nattorei and Forretress. Thunder is a bit situational but it helps do some damage to Kyogre. I'm considering Fire Blast over Flamethrower for more power and the ability to 2HKO Arceus, but it misses ;_;. Outrage is really just for end game Lati@s lol.

Threat List and Team Building Process coming later! Please Rate Away

Why don't you use a Water-type move on Palkia? If you run Thunder even with a sun-based team, how come you don't use Surf/Hydro Pump?

Hey Jibaku! Awesome team! I see that this team will brobably have trouble with ho-oh so I would agree with outrage over dragon claw. You should also consider adding a little more speed EVs on groudon to outrun sub roost ho-oh. You should also consider cross flame on reshiram as it is your secondary attack and cross flame has 5 more base power and it is unlikely that you will run out of PP for blue fire and cross flame.

symphonyx64

Private messages are the best way to reach me
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Yeah, I also recommend adding enough speed to outpace SubRoost Ho-Oh. It can easily Pressure [assuming it has it] stall you out of Stone Edges and you will quickly be found in a bind. Regardless, congrats on your early Gen. V accomplishment.

Hello Jibaku! I battled your team many times, do you remember it? It's a great team. I actually built my first effective Gen v Uber team by battling yours. Also Ho-oh is really annoying to your team but you have Groudon to predict around, plus I am sure your Groudon and Giratina-O ev spread is not exactly the one you are using after battling this team several times :P . Kyogre I am sure can at least pose a decent threat to your team, especially when it has Calm mind, but you can set up along with it using Arceus, Roar it out but when it is the last pokemon, maybe this will be hard. Without Outrage Giratina-O cannot 3hko Kyogre. Palkia fails against Boosting Kyogre. Lustrous orb Palkia maybe a problem as it 2hkoes your entire team with Spacial rend, Fire blasts but you can revenge with your own Palkia. If the opponent traps Palkia with Wobuffet this might be a slight issue. Lugia walls most of your team barring Arceus and Specs Reshiram, and phazes the team around.

Steel Arceus is really incredible. He is just that hard to take down without hard physical attackers like Ho-oh, in fact I shifted my team a lot to find a way to deal with that Arceus. Zekrom can be a slight problem to your team with powerful lighting strikes and Outrages but you have Groudon and Palkia to revenge.

All in all, great team and it made you to the #1 in PO shows how great the team is. I do agree that many players in PO are inexperienced though, I even met Nidokings, Dragonites and Blastoise! in the Wifi Uber ladder.

Ugh what is Palkia doing...
Staring at Reshiram's flaming cockpit? Admit it, you would too.

...because it's on fire, of course.

On another note, SpecsReshi looks awesome.

Does this team have problems with SubSalac Darkrai? It hypothetically gets a Sub on Forry or rain-throwers from Reshiram and sleeps/plots/focus blasts on the switch in.

No idea how to fix it. I just typed it to give this post a reason to be here, so it just wouldn't be the first two sentenses.

Good job on number one.

Jibaku

is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
About SubRoost Ho-Oh: I only figured now that it could hypothetically SubRoost away all the Stone Edges Groudon has >_<. I'm considering Rock Slide over Stone Edge for this, since it's really only for Ho-Oh and I usually Dragon Tail Rayquazas anyways.

On to Cross Flame vs Flamethrower: I generally prefer Flamethrower for its own PP, meaning something like Lugia/Stalltwo (especially those with Substitute) can't conceivably PP stall it out and force Reshiram to switch out. The random burn chance can also come in handy.

As far as Lustrous Orb goes, it's pretty difficult to counter without Lugia or some form of Arceus that isn't weak to any of its attacks, and I think I'm forced to stick with Steel Arceus for the latter because of Toxic immunity, and Poison Arceus doesn't work out too well here because it can't take on strong Draco Meteors well (as well as CM Lati@s).

I think I may have to go with Outrage on Giratina-O ;_;.

A few weaknesses I've encountered are:
- Shadow Tag Shandera: It can kill off Groudon and Steel Arceus with Overheat, removing my defensive core. It made me consider using Specially Defensive Groudon so it could at least survive the Overheat and OHKO back.
- Espeon: For just being plain annoying and bouncing back hazards while HP Firing my Forretress :(

A few other things I'm concerned about:
- Fire Arceus: This is a big issue if I can't get it at least Poisoned. If it's Poisoned Giratina-O can hurt it really badly so that it'd be unusable later.
- Ground Arceus: See above. One other thing I've considered is slapping loads of Defense EVs on Tina-O so SDed Stone Edges don't 2HKO, while Giratina-O can 2HKO back with poison damage and Outrage
- Fighting Arceus: I guess "see above" again
- Ghost Arceus: Okay SD ones don't scare me that much (though SDed Shadow Forces hurt, but at least I could bait it out. The problem is CM/Judgment/Focus Blast/Recover ones...what actually counters that thing besides Blissey (who fails if it's poisoned by TS' first layer)?

Solid team! There is nothing to say. I will nominate this for archive. By the way I'm coming to get you on the ladder.

Swords dance Rayquaza maybe problematic to your team too I think, if he has aqua tail(which is rare). So when Salamence is paired up with Rayquaza it may possibly pose some threat to your team. Chansey counters calm mind arceus too, but like you said toxic spikes will screw chansey even more. I think Ho-oh can handle calm mind Arceus to an extend with boosted Sacred fires.

Yeah , this team looks pretty well. But Im not sure how you can deal with the new top OU/uber?! Doryuzuu. Since you have only 1 weather changer on you team. Duryuzuu (M) @ Life Orb Trait: Sand Throw EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 8 Def Jolly/Adamant(+Spe/Atk,-SAtk) - Sword Dance - Earthquake - Rock Slide /Shadow Claw /X-Scissor - Rock Slide /Shadow Claw /X-Scissor If this thing gets a SD in Sandstrom almost your whole team will be killed by it with SR on the field. Your only hope is Groudon, who can be trapped by Wobbuffet. To fix that you can try a bulkier Girantina-o spread but you ll lose some offensive potential. Doryuzuu will be still a dangerous thread to you since Tina-O wont be able to switch in 2 times after taking SR dmg or a hit. The safest switch in would be Grass/Bug/Flying Arceus but this requires a new team. Make a new one Jibaku^^ Edit, cannot put it in the right format, sth might be bugy atm.

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah , this team looks pretty well. But Im not sure how you can deal with the new top OU/uber?! Doryuzuu. Since you have only 1 weather changer on you team. Duryuzuu (M) @ Life Orb Trait: Sand Throw EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 8 Def Jolly/Adamant(+Spe/Atk,-SAtk) - Sword Dance - Earthquake - Rock Slide /Shadow Claw /X-Scissor - Rock Slide /Shadow Claw /X-Scissor If this thing gets a SD in Sandstrom almost your whole team will be killed by it with SR on the field. Your only hope is Groudon, who can be trapped by Wobbuffet. To fix that you can try a bulkier Girantina-o spread but you ll lose some offensive potential. Doryuzuu will be still a dangerous thread to you since Tina-O wont be able to switch in 2 times after taking SR dmg or a hit. The safest switch in would be Grass/Bug/Flying Arceus but this requires a new team. Make a new one Jibaku^^ Edit, cannot put it in the right format, sth might be bugy atm.

Ummm... what????

First of all, Jibaku's Groudon never dies x_x.

Second of all

Your only hope is Groudon, who can be trapped by Wobbuffet.
Well, to be fair, it does have Dragon Tail. Second, he has Giratina-O, who is not OHKOed by Rock Slide, maybe not even 2HKO but I haven't bothered with the calcs.

That's 1 counter and a check. Pretty good for Ubers standards. Not to mention Doryuuzu will have a hard time setting up said Swords Dance on everything but Forretress really, and Reshiram if DM is overused I guess... But it's quite obvious if someone is repeatedly putting up Sandstorm in Ubers that they have Doryuuzu... Also, for Forretress, they would have to lead with Tyranitar then go to Doryuuzu in most (not all...) cases; why would you keep Forretress in on lead Tyranitar, there is quite a big possibility it will have a Fire-type move.

Ummm... what????

First of all, Jibaku's Groudon never dies x_x.
Lol, kinda. His Groudon is always alive. I think Ho-oh can make the team die though (not Groudon alone). xP. With boosted Sacred fires to bash through Arceus with ease, huge special defense to wall Palkia and Reshiram. Forretress will become roasteress if Ho-oh Sacred fires it. Lustrous orb Palkia is another annoyance to the team, and Palkia can hurt Groudon with Spacial Rend! Actually I think Jibaku's Groudon always come out early to get stealth rock up and return back. But hey, a full power specs Kyogre Water spout maybe able to kill Jibaku's Groudon in some cases :P

Well Ho-oh can also be a solution to your calm mind Arceus weakness and can check Lustrous Orb Palkia I think. Lugia is able to almost completely wall Jibaku's team too unless Reshiram comes out to Blue Fire Lugia in the sun. Arceus can roar out Lugia before Lugia slaps it with Dragon tail though, x_x . When spikes is down, Lugia can be even more annoying and it phazes Groudon before Groudon dragon tails Lugia out. Zekrom stops both Ho-oh and Lugia to an extend.

Jibaku

:p

Anyways, Doryuuzu generally has a tough time against this team. As long as Groudon stays alive, Doryuuzu can't really do anything. But if it becomes such an issue I am willing to use physically defensive Giratina-O...kinda x_x.

As far as Salamence/Rayquaza goes: Well what team doesn't have issues with that :p. But I've got between Groudon and Arceus can revenge SDRay if it's slightly weakened. Palkia can also take an SDed hit sometimes and retaliate, and in worst case scenario I can attempt a speedtie x_x.

They also can't set up easily, and with Encore being cut down to three turns, I can simply attempt to use Dragon Tail on Wobbuffet as it Encores me into something else to waste one of the Encore turns. Wobb switches to w/e and another Encore turn is lost. Rayquaza/Mence set up and use up the last Encore turn. Then Groudon survives the hit and retaliates back with Stone Edge / Dragon Tail.

I am considering Ho-Oh over Reshiram, but I like Reshiram's raw power a lot x_x.

Doryuuzu is not too common so I agree with your ways to deal with it. What about against opposing Reshiram? This is going to be tough and if it has nitro charge, outspeeds your Reshiram leaving Palkia as your only way to deal with it.

I think Ho-oh has a lot of raw power too, lol but in the physical side and less power. But hey, the fat pinky blobs are there to eat your Blue Fires and Draco meteors unless spikes is up. Ho-oh rams through most physical walls but Groudon, Giratina and Bold Lugia. so Ho-oh packs a Punch! xP

SkullCandy

She Bangs The Drums
is a Contributor Alumnus
First of all, great team. Should have known one of the first (decent) Uber RMT's would be by Jibaku.

On to the rate, do you find yourself having trouble with Calm Mind Mewtwo? The only thing I can see countering it is Palkia or Forretress. Even Forry dies after two +1 Aura Spheres and Payback is a 3HKO w/o SR and sometimes even with SR.

Not too sure what you can do to fix this.

Also Naughty nature is +Atk, -SpDef. Not +Spe, -SpDef

The only thing I can see countering it is Palkia or Forretress.

Also Naughty nature is +Atk, -SpDef. Not +Spe, -SpDef
I agree Mewtwo is a problem to Jibaku's team but I believe Shadow sneak can easily pick Mewtwo off, especially after taking rocks,spikes and poison damage which Jibaku's Forretress and Groudon set up. Once Mewtwo is around 50% he can be revenged by Giratina-O., who is not ko by Mewtwo if he lacks Ice beam. Mewtwo cannot set up on anything and Draco Meteor or Fire blasts wreck Mewtwo for good damage and after hazards damage Mewtwo is dead.

I am sure Jibaku knows Naughty is +Atk, - SpDef, :) . He must have wanted to type in Naive nature but the evs are most probably for Naughty nature.

For Rayquaza/Salamence combo, I think a team with these combinations Bold Lugia with Groudon/Palkia, Lugia and Cresselia ( dumb idea), Defensive Arceus/Groudon, Skarmory paired with Defensive Kyogre with ice beam, and Garchomp together with Palkia or the odd Evolution stone Porygon2 partnered with Evolution stone Dusclops can handle both Salamence and Rayquaza on the same team, :P. Also Classic Stall does not have much issues with Rayquaza/Salamence combo. I used classic stall for a long time and I do not find Rayquaza to be troublesome unless it critted Lugia x_x

Of course you would not be able to fit Lugia into your team at all and Cresselia will slow your momentum down. In the end, you can still handle Rayquaza/Salamence fairly well like you said. Unfortunately, Salamence is incredibly rare in Ubers so far, I have not even met one on the Uber ladder in Pokemon Online, while I met 3 Nidokings and several Regigigas!

Speaking of Garchomp, he can rampage through Jibaku's team in some cases! Once his Groudon is down which will kinda never happen. I am sure firecape agrees with this statement :) Anyway, Swords Dance Garchomp can hurt Arceus with Earthquake before eating a Judgement in the face, OHKO Reshiram with Earthquake or Outrage, sets up on Forretress and OHKO Giratina-O with Outrage after rocks damage. Choice band Garchomp I believe can be a nuisance by wearing even Jibaku's Groudon out and OHKOing the rest, but Palkia can revenge it easily.

I know your team worked extremely well..But Draco meteor miss sucks lol, :P causing you the game.
About the revenging killing Salamence in a match, do you mean my Salamence? lol x_x
I think Kyogre can still give some problems..if Wobbuffet traps your Palkia

Doesnt this team have severe problems with a combination of Darkrai and Wobbuffet. If Wobbuffet removes scarf Palkia everything else in your team gets beaten by a +2 Darkai as only Groudon can maybe survive a +2 Dark Pulse/Focus Blast after SR Damage. I'm not sure how you could fix this without messing up the synergy of the team, maybe if you could fit mewtwo in somewhere.

Jibaku

I don't really like the notion of "it's weak to this when x is removed" because frankly that just implies the Pokemon is useless (same reason you don't tell people in Adv that x physical sweeper kills the entire team if Magneton kills Skarmory). That's part 1. Part 2, Darkrai usually won't get a whole lot of opportunity to set up, and between Toxic Spikes and other hazards, it can go down to a combination of Steel Arceus and Giratina-O (risky but meh....). Reshiram can also usually survive a +2 Dark Pulse after SR damage (no Life Orb), and OHKO back, if that's needed. If it's Life Orbed then it just dies really quickly.

You say that Darkrai doesnt get much chance to set up but besides Scarf Palkia it outruns and Dark Voids every member of your team and then it can easily get a Nasty Plot boost. And if they are able to keep Toxic Spikes off of the field then it becomes a apin to take down for you.

Great team Jibaku as always, although it's your preference, i just prefer max special bulk on forry, but that's just me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)