The Everything NFL Punter Thread - 2014/2015 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
lmao von miller better than anyone on the pats' roster.

He's completely one dimensional; i.e. he is a DE in everything except his pre-snap stance. He's a liability in coverage and a so-so tackler (two of the three most important facets of being a linebacker. How the fuck does that make him "one of the top players in the NFL not named Calvin Johnson or JJ Watt"?

Meanwhile the Patriots have Tom Brady, who, while decidedly subpar (by his standards) last year, has still thrown for ~14,500 yards over the last 3 years (iirc 3rd-most over a 3 year stretch in NFL history) with little to no run support. Last year's stats also have to do with the fact that he lost his most reliable target (Wes Welker) his deep threat that stretched the defense (Aaron Hernandez) and his big bruiser TE (Gronk).

On another note, yeah, Michael Sam probably fell in the draft because of his sexuality; however, he's just not a great player. He's strictly a pass-rusher (can't defend against the run) and while his stats were very nice they were inflated by two things: one, he's a left end, which means he lines up against the weaker tackle, and two, he was only on the field for ~60% of snaps; the majority of those were passing situations. Therefore, he was always fresh. Will he get cut? Most likely. And I'm okay with that, because I believe that Jeff Fisher sees players for who they are on the field.

also im a browns fan go johnny football
Your post lost credibility when you said Miller was a so-so tackler.

Your entire post just lost any credibility when you said that Von Miller was a liability in coverage lol. I'm not going to bash people for stating their opinions that one player is better than another, but I am going to bring completely incorrect statements to attention. For a LB Von Miller is very adept in coverage fyi
How do you figure? The vast majority of time Miller is responsible for the RB in coverage; he almost NEVER drops back to cover a TE or (god forbid) a WR. Even then, it's only temporary coverage: if the RB stays in to block, he simply blitzes.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
How do you figure? The vast majority of time Miller is responsible for the RB in coverage; he almost NEVER drops back to cover a TE or (god forbid) a WR. Even then, it's only temporary coverage: if the RB stays in to block, he simply blitzes.
As per NFL.com after the 2012 season: He also displays outstanding body control as he changes directions when dropping into coverage. Miller's ability to move nimbly in space is certainly impressive, especially considering the fact that he spent the majority of his collegiate career at Texas A&M with his hand in the dirt.

A film study on Von Miller

Some interesting points:

Miller has enough instincts, and certainly the athleticism, to substitute as a Will Linebacker for a down or two.

Miller's athleticism also enables him to 'spy' against mobile QB's, such as Cam Newton.

You're right in saying that the Broncos don't use him often in coverage. However, he is certainly athletic enough that he can play Spy on one of the quickest QB's in the league, play as the weakside linebacker and more then hold his own if forced into coverage. Saying that he is terrible in coverage just because his team doesn't need him to drop back is an unfair and incorrect statement.

On a different note, does anyone else watch the NFL's Top 100 list? As far as I know everyone likes watching highlight reels.
They have only gone through 81-100 so far, but Matt Forte and Jordy Nelson should definitely be higher up. Keenan Allen should be on the list too, at around 90 in my opinion.

Thoughts?

Letting Welker go was an immediate blow, but the Patriots seem to have perfected a no nonsense "no one is truly vital" approach to the sport. How could a team with 10+ wins for the last decade straight every season possibly need to be in "win now" mode?? I mean forget even that, is "win now" even a thing in the NFL unless you truly, truly have a team that just made a championship game and has an unreliable history/no youth at all? 5 playoff teams a year change on average and 4 division leaders, or whatever the exact numbers were (there is a lot of variance year to year obviously). The NFL season is so short and brutal that betting it all on one year is a little ridiculous.

Ok so i was wrong, Romo is in the NFLs Top 100 players at 71(bs number btw). Just finished watching it and i'm just shaking my head totally disgusted by what i saw. There was like one highlight the rest was how he chokes every other game. They didn't even mention his one legged, miracle, season saving comeback win against the skins... Terrible.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Romo is an underappreciated player, that's absolutely true, but his lack of success when it really matters must be taken into account, just like Marc-Andre Fleury.

Imanalt

I'm the coolest girl you'll ever meet
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Romo is an underappreciated player, that's absolutely true, but his lack of success when it really matters must be taken into account, just like Marc-Andre Fleury.
not to derail but... fleury isnt good any time, romo is at least usually good.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
The opposite of heroes who saves people from situations they caused, Romo is excellent at helping choke away advantages that he is almost solely responsible for in the first place. It just looks worse because he ends with the bad result. Anyone with a brain already knows the only reason he gets so much shit is because he plays for the Cowboys though.

The opposite of heroes who saves people from situations they caused, Romo is excellent at helping choke away advantages that he is almost solely responsible for in the first place. It just looks worse because he ends with the bad result. Anyone with a brain already knows the only reason he gets so much shit is because he plays for the Cowboys though.
That's fine and all coming from fans and the media but not from a tribute in which his dominance is supposed to be shown. Romo is one of the scariest qbs in the league, and they couldn't do better than spend 5 minutes telling you how inconsistent he seems to be.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
not to derail but... fleury isnt good any time, romo is at least usually good.
Decent point. Fleury had a decent 2014 season, but he's normally a dumpster fire. Romo is a very respectable QB, I'd probably have him in my top 10.

Yeah...I'm sorry, but Kapernick is not worth anywhere near $21 mil on average over 6 years. Contract for 6 year, $126 million with guaranteed $61 million or whatever? What BS, he's nowhere near that good, sorry. Im a Niners fan and all, but they really overpaid him and got fleeced (seems to happen with ok QBs on Harbaugh-led teams). They can think they'll hit good draft picks and build cheaply still, but all it takes are some duds to ruin that plan...

The 49ers can win Super Bowls with Kaepernick. The 49ers cannot win Super Bowls with Colt McCoy, Blaine Gabbert, or <insert free agent QB>. They also probably cannot win with any rookie QB they might've signed in the next couple years if Kaepernick walked.

Two other things about this deal make it smart. By not waiting another offseason, the 49ers eliminated the chances that Russell Wilson or Cam Newton, both expecting huge contracts of their own, from signing an even bigger contract extension. Kaepernick signing first all but guarantees that he'll have the cheapest contract of the three. It was somewhat by necessity - being a 2nd round pick, Kaepernick had no 5th year option that the Panthers are using on Cam, and was signed a year earlier than Wilson and thus was going to be a free agent a year earlier. Still, this only benefits the organization, as they'll get the cheapest deal of the bunch. Second, salary caps are going to increase at a record pace over the course of the next couple years. There's going to be plenty of room to fit Kaepernick under the cap, and even if they'll have to make some cuts elsewhere to afford him the 49ers are so loaded with talent I doubt it will matter too much.

Regardless of the "you can't win without an elite quarterback" mantra being proven (?) false, you still need a good quarterback to separate teams like the Rams from the Seahawks. Losing Kaepernick might be disastrous; keeping him at a high price probably won't be. As long as Kaepernick can keep his personal issues out of the way, it should be a fine deal for both parties.

I guess you have a point Killah, by going first at least Kap'll be cheaper than the other big name ones due for an extension as he has no basis for comparison other than like Flacco and stuff, whereas the others are going to want more than Kap (and likely will get it too, god I can't imagine how much Luck will cost the Colts, that's going to be expensive).

Doesn't change my mind that he's worth that much by any means, but from that point he's cheaper now than waiting.

B-Lulz

Now Rusty and Old
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Can someone justify to me why Joe Flacco is #58 on the top 100 list or is the second highest or something paid QB in the league. From what I've seen, its mindblowing to me he gets this much love from teams and the NFL network...

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Killah Bullshit on the whole "the 49ers need kap to win super bowls". Kap needs the 49ers to win Super Bowls. If he walks he is literally committing career suicide in favor of his ego, and will go into the league a mediocre quarterback who can't carry an entire team. And the 49ers should have told him as much and not bowed down to give him such a mind-numbingly stupid contract. But of course, the 9ers don't actually think that way. Harbaugh is so head over heels in love with the kid he genuinely thinks he's worth this much money, and the league further buys into this "QBs are the only reason you win a game" ideology.

I may or may not be mildly upset by this.

I don't think he can carry the team, and I didn't mean to imply it. I'm just saying they are in a similar boat as the Ravens were, and that going into the 2015 season and beyond their odds of winning the Super Bowl with any free agent, backup, or rookie QB is greatly diminished. They have a winning formula with mediocrity (maybe a little harsh) at quarterback, and shaking that up is a quick way for your franchise to turn south in a heartbeat.

I don't think Kaepernick is "worth" $20 million a year or whatever, but the fact of the matter is that every big name quarterback signing over the next three years is going to cost this amount of money. With the salary cap situation looking to improve greatly over the course of the contract, with salary caps of potentially up to $140 million in 2015 and $150 million in 2016. Teams can now afford to give their QBs ridiculous contracts, and once those contracts become the norm (they basically already have) they really won't be so ridiculous in the first place.

Edit: To alleviate any concerns, the full details of the deal have been announced. The full terms of this deal are better than anyone can just about dream of, especially with Wilson/Luck being projected to score $24-25 million when their contracts come up.

Last edited:

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Just because these contracts are now the norm and cap space may or may not be rising at record pace in the next few years doesn't make the situation any less ridiculous. QB may be the most important position but it isn't so disproportionally important that even an elite one should be eating up 20% of a team's cap space, let alone mediocre ones like Flacco and Kaep. A big reason the Seahawks are so fearsome right now is because Wilson is still on his pittance of a rookie contract, giving them so much cap space to surround him with proven talent at every other position. If Rex Grossman can be a Super Bowl starter, having a good QB obviously isn't a strict requirement for a competitor.

The league is probably too far down the rabbit hole at this point, though, that the Niners didn't necessarily make a horrible decision. Because it's now expected, even the smart executives that would otherwise do all they can to fight the trend can't afford it. If your team isn't going to pay up, someone else certainly will. QBs have all the negotiating power right now.

So Sherman is on the cover of Madden...this I don't mind actually, hopefully a bit of that curse will shut his overly loud trap...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)