The Everything NFL Punter Thread - 2014/2015 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
I disagree, actually. Near the end of his fall you can see him twist to his right, extending his left side towards the end zone. At the same time he pushes off with his back foot, more so than he would have if he was stumbling. It's definitely not conclusive, but it's there for you to look at and consider if you would be willing to take off your dismissive hate goggles for two seconds.
As in - its a part of the motion he made while making the catch. Slightly changing it has no merit to end the process of the catch.

he was falling before he even touched the defender, you can already see the forward lean.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's conceivable that he might have somewhat consciously made an extra stretch toward the line, but it was EXTREMELY late and not conclusive. I think it's a stretch to say it's absolutely impossible, but it's an equal stretch to say it's clear he DID reach, so yeah let's just drop this and move on

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
As in - its a part of the motion he made while making the catch. Slightly changing it has no merit to end the process of the catch.

he was falling before he even touched the defender, you can already see the forward lean.
NFL Rulebook said:
Article 3 Completed or Intercepted Pass.
A player who makes a catch may advance the ball. A forward pass is complete (by the offense) or intercepted (by the defense) if a player, who is inbounds:
(a) secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground; and
(b) touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands; and
(c) maintains control of the ball long enough, after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, to enable him to perform any act common to the game (i.e., maintaining control long enough to pitch it, pass it, advance with it, or avoid or ward off an opponent, etc.).

Note 1: It is not necessary that he commit such an act, provided that he maintains control of the ball long enough to do so.

Note 2: If a player has control of the ball, a slight movement of the ball will not be considered a loss of possession. He must lose control of the ball in order to rule that there has been a loss of possession. If the player loses the ball while simultaneously touching both feet or any part of his body other than his hands to the ground, or if there is any doubt that the acts were simultaneous, it is not a catch.

Item 1: Player Going to the Ground.
If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching
the ground, the pass is complete.

Item 2: Sideline Catches.
If a player goes to the ground out-of-bounds (with or without contact by an opponent) in the process of making a catch at the sideline, he must maintain complete and continuous control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground, or the pass is incomplete.

Item 3: End Zone Catches.
If a player controls the ball while in the end zone, both feet, or any part of his body other than his hands, must be completely on the ground before losing control, or the pass is incomplete.
The only argument is whether he had control and made a move common to the game. Which he did, but then apparently this is superceded by the Calvin Johnson "Player Going to the Ground" rule. These rules inherently conflict in how they are worded to be ambiguous about what "control of the ball" is. Dez shifted the ball to one arm and stretched his arms out for the goal line, this would imply control and an act common to the game, BUT since he's going to the ground the official base of the rule is thrown out in favor of a sub-item? This is blatantly an ambiguous gray area in the rule book, but sure you can try and pretend it's all black and white.

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
he never did a) though. the ball was moving all over.

but if the cowboys didn't let the packers score all those points, they would have won. Penalty doesn't matter (logic from the lions game)

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
he never did a) though. the ball was moving all over.

but if the cowboys didn't let the packers score all those points, they would have won. Penalty doesn't matter (logic from the lions game)
The point that I was making is that a) is discretionary and a matter of onion.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Broncos fans were classless booing Peyton going into the half. They were down one possession to a good Colts team whose defense was playing out of their minds after having a fucking bye in the playoffs. Absolutely disgraceful.

However, any Broncos fan should be disappointed by that performance. The secondary, especially Talib, was horrible for the first two quarters. Peyton looked incompetent today; it seriously looked like he either couldn't make simple throws or that he couldn't read the Colts' D. Since it's Peyton F. Manning, it was probably the former. It'll be interesting to see if that was just Manning's thigh injury acting up or something worse. If he was just hurt near the end of the year and has an offseason to get healthy, he can remain a top 5 QB. Otherwise, I wouldn't be surprised if this was his last game.

John Fox was exposed in this game though. Hilarious playcalling all night.

EDIT: Broncos players, but not John Fox, will be available to the media today. Writing's on the wall. He's a below-average coach who was saved by Tebow Magic followed by Elway landing him 7 free wins a year in Peyton Manning. A broom could coach the last 3 Broncos teams to 9-7 or better, and whoever gets that job is going to be happy unless Peyton retires.

Last edited:
So the Broncos fire mediocre head coach John Fox. Hopefully this is like back in the day when the Broncos fired that one guy and hired Shanahan to propel John Elway to the hall of fame. All the Broncos need now to complete the circle is a 2000 yard rusher next season. Heck i'd take a crappy 4500 33/11 season from Peyton if it means him paired up with a 2000 yard rusher.

Lettuce be serious, Brady could probably give as much bulletin board material as possible and the Pats would still kick the Colts' ass

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
The older Tom Brady gets, the less fucks he gives. It's starting to get really hard to hate the guy.

Wonder how true the rumors are of the Broncos blowing up all their coaching staff? I mean I can see Fox going as odd as it could sound since he's not that great and is basically riding Manning, but firing everyone seems drastic for a team right off consecutive winning seasons and playoff berths.

Then again the Niners basically fired Harbaugh, so weird things are a happening this offseason.

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
The Broncos aren't really clearing house coaching-wise - Gase and Del Rio are being interviewed for numerous head coaching jobs, and would most likely be leaving of their own accord. Word around the internet is that Gase is more likely to stay on as head coach than Del Rio is, and if they leave their most likely landing spots are apparently San Fran and Oakland, respectively. Which is kind of hilarious.

This is all just speculation of course, but if I were John Elway I wouldn't be too torn up about losing my coaches after that travesty of a performance against Indy. Nobody except Manning and Anderson even gave a shit.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In honor of this page I have changed the thread title.

Also any guesses on who will coach the Broncos next? Rex Ryan might have been an interesting fit if he hadn't already gone to the Bills

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
i'm quite ashamed of the patriots for attempting to confuse the ravens (during the playoffs, no less). from now on we should announce the exact routes each receiver is going to run and which receiver the ball is actually going to in order to give the defense a fair chance to octuple-team him.

edit: i made this post before i read past the second paragraph of that article lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)