The Everything NHL Thread

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yes I know the deal was pretty good from Vancouver's standpoint. But fuck I loved Hodgson. He was probably my favorite after Kesler and Bieksa and I fucking hate seeing him leave. Plus, he loved Vancouver and now we're shipping him to a non-playoff contender while we're heading into the playoffs. Putting myself into his position, I feel pretty shitty for him. My East Team is now Buffalo (plus they hate Boston so that's good too).

I'm nervous about Kassian. He's supposedly "THE power forward," but jesus, that's what everyone said about Bernier, and look how that turned out. Plus, we're giving up our future captain for him. I'm not going to pass judgment on him until the regular season ends, but I'm still nervous as fuck about how he'll do. Plus, he hasn't even been broken into the NHL properly; we're supposed to be contending for the cup, and how do you do that trading in your 20 goal 50 point center for... god knows what?

And Gragnani, apparently he was terrible on defense back in Buffalo, but was still a good powerplay quarterback. If he can shore up his defense, and still contribute, then I'll be happy. I just want a bottom pair defenseman that can step up when Salo inevitably goes down; if he fulfills this, I'll be happy. And Carl, you're wrong; we have Alberts and Rome as our #6 and #7. We needed a #5 defenseman, which hopefully Gragnani fulfills, so we can get these two scrubs off our defense as fast as possible. Alberts has been pretty terrible, and the Rome-Tanev pairing inevitably ends up with Tanev bailing Rome the fuck out before shuffling off on a line change. Our defense of Edler-Salo, Bieksa-Hamhuis, Tanev-Ballard (when he comes back) and Gragnani as our 7th is looking pretty decent right now.

Unsure about Pahlsson. He was huge money with Anaheim but reports say his play has shifted down a notch. If he can pivot a 3rd line with possibly Kassian and Hansen manning the wings, then I'll be happy.

Pierre Gauthier disappointed me today; there was obviously more cleaning up to do on the Habs roster. Why not stock up on some more draft picks via Moen and Campolia rather then letting them go for nothing in the off season.

Eraddd

One Pixel
Also Howson throws Nash under the bus. I don't blame Nash for asking the ownership to clean the management out.

Also reportedly, Columbus was asking Vancouver for Hodgson, Schneider and 3 FUCKING FIRST ROUNDERS for Nash. Why is this guy still a GM?

Also Howson throws Nash under the bus. I don't blame Nash for asking the ownership to clean the management out.

Also reportedly, Columbus was asking Vancouver for Hodgson, Schneider and 3 FUCKING FIRST ROUNDERS for Nash. Why is this guy still a GM?
lol. If Columbus management doesn't get realistic, they wont be able to move Nash this summer... But seriously, things could get ugly in Columbus. Can't wait to see Nash's next press conference.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Gragnani blows goats for quarters, turns the puck over more than Max Afinogenov. Good riddance

Paul Gaustad wore out his welcome for me about two years ago when I realized he is an oversized vagina that is good at winning faceoffs. Zero career playoffs goals. good riddance

I will miss Kassian, we haven't had a good, true power forward since...

Um...

Andreychuk? Fuck. But I'm excited to see what Hodgson can do with more than 13 minutes of ice time a game. Throw him between Stafford and Ennis, BOOYA (mebbe).

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
3 first rounders lol

also sorry I didn't mean to imply gragnani would never play but he's definitely not going to eat up top pairing minutes

Chill Murray

get well soon jacoby..
I'm really happy with Snow's actions this deadline. We managed to move Mottau and Rolston to Boston. Even if we only got an ECHLer and an AHLer in return, we still come out way ahead. We're no longer the team where old Devils come to retire.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I am so glad the guy is no longer with the Oilers. Him and KLowe were no better than Lowebellini. God, the Oilers might've had Lowe, Tambellini, and Howson had Howson not went to Columbus. They'd probably trade RNH, Hall, and Eberle for George Parros or something.
I didn't like the trade involving Tom Gilbert and Nick Schultz. Another questionable decision by Steve Tambellini...
You think I have no master plan?

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Assuming this is right, to be fair, Vancouver first rounders are fairly close to the 2nd round (they would win President at the moment) and Rick Nash is a first picked overall player. Can you imagine him winging the Sedins? This is nothing like Toronto giving all high draft picks for Kessel, you're essentially giving 25th-30th picks instead of top 5 top 10 ones.

Rick Nash is definitely worth those 3 "first round" picks and more.

Howson just made the bet that Vancouver wanted to win the cup this year but apparently, not if they need to give this much.

Leaving aside the recent drafts, as the players probably haven't had enough time to fully develop into pro players, here are ten 30th draft picks from 1999 to 2008 :

Kristian Kudroc
Jeff Taffe
Dave Steckel
Jim Slater
Shawn Belle
Andy Rogers
Vladimir Mihalik
Matt Corrente
Nick Ross
Thomas McCollum

Pick 3.

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
That's a high draft pick for the next three years, though.. I mean, if you want to look at it as essentially 3 "second round" picks, fine. Those are still good selections. For example, Jacob Markstrom went 31st overall, right after Thomas McCollum, and will end up being Florida's rock in net for the next few years. No guarantee a draft pick pans out or that you select the right guy but the 30th best player on the board still isn't that bad..

And those picks were in addition to arguably the best young, potential starting goalie in the NHL in Schneider and another high end draft pick that already looks promising in Hodgson.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yet what you and others went nuts about were the "LOL 3 FUCKING FIRST ROUND PICKS".

On one end you get Rick Nash, on the other 3 low 1st round picks with fingers crossed that at least one of them will simply be a permanent NHL player. Sampling picks through the years seems to indicate you're probably not getting a fantastic return.

Schneider and Hodgson at least have proven to be NHL quality material but the Canucks don't even play the 2nd goalie in the playoffs. The Sedins are 31, the Canucks better win the cup now or soon.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yea honestly I don't think 3 late first round draft picks + the 2 players is egregious. You instantly get 2 #1 lines, the trickle down effect for lines 3 and 4, that immensely important physicality at skill lines for play offs, and a prospective #1 pp unit that makes me prematurely ejaculate.

If the Canucks dont win this year I'll seriously look back and question their decision to not go for broke at this point with Luongo and Sedin twins getting up in age.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
jesus christ, why is everyone sucking Rick Nash's dick so much

that trade would be good for someone like Marian Gaborik or Claude Giroux, not Rick "I won the Rocket Richard one time with 41 goals" Nash

god DAMN is he overrated

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
You're joking right. Marian Gaborik's top 2 seasons are 42 goals each....Nash has 40 and 41...

.43 goals per game for nash, .45 goals per game for gaborik. .81 points per game for nash, .89 points per game for gaborik.

Nash is younger, bigger, far more durable, and has never had a passing center worth 3 shits playing for him.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
More to the point Nash has barely had any teammate of any skill with which to play with. If anything he's one of the most underrated players because how often do you hear his name come up outside of the recent trade deadline. The points he's got have come on merit of his own skill, pair him with some decent players and you can't be calling be underrated.

Carl

or Varl
Schneider made appearances in 5 playoff games last year for 163 minutes of playing time. He actually started game 6 against the Blackhawks last year. Most of his playing time was garbage minutes after Luongo choked but still.. The Canucks seemed pretty set on making sure they had insurance for Luongo based on interviews I had seen with the GM prior to the deadline.

We all expected Schneider and/or Hogdson to be involved in a potential Nash deal.. that's what nobody was going "omg wtfwlm!11" over that part.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
You're joking right. Marian Gaborik's top 2 seasons are 42 goals each....Nash has 40 and 41...

.43 goals per game for nash, .45 goals per game for gaborik. .81 points per game for nash, .89 points per game for gaborik.

Nash is younger, bigger, far more durable, and has never had a passing center worth 3 shits playing for him.
I thought Gabby had some 50-goal seasons under his belt, I'm confusing him with someone else. Can't figure out who.

Regardless, very few players in the game today are worth the king's bounty Howson wanted. The rest of the league is laughing at him right now.

Eraddd

One Pixel
Also I'm curious as to how Hodgson's numbers will fare since he's not being given sheltered minutes (one assumes they'll stick him with Pominville and Vanek or with Ennis and Leino).

Anyways, Chara and Weber are bound to be Norris Trophy candidates. However, after a chat with a certain Senators fan in this site, I'm curious as to see what people think about Karlsson and his PPG pace. Watching his game earlier in the season, he shined offensively, but was mediocre defensively, giving up turnovers, and not as strong on the boards. We're at the point now where we could probably predict the Top 3 candidates for each award, so do you guys think Karlsson should be in the Top 3 or even given the award?

Carl

or Varl
He'll be top 3 but I don't think he'll win. The numbers are flashy enough to get him considered. It's just like the Selke..

New World Order

Licks Toads
I think Erik Karlsson is better defensively than a Mike Green, but isn't great either. Mike Green was actually even better offensively, but offense alone doesn't earn you a Norris trophy unless you put up a Paul Coffey esque performance. As long as Karlsson keeps up this offensive pace as he learns the defensive game, he will have his Norris trophy, but I don't think he'll get it this year.

Who are you suggesting wins the Norris instead? I think it should go to Weber, but it'll probably end up going to Karlsson just because of the sheer numbers he's put up. Over a point per game for a defenseman is crazy. And he's +15, which is pretty good. However, anyone who watches him play knows that he is not as good defensively yet as that number might suggest... but I have a feeling he'll win anyways. Weber would have my vote though.

I'm guessing the nominees are Karlsson, Weber, and Chara.

New World Order

Licks Toads
IMO Weber was good enough to win last year and has done nothing to say he wont win this year. While Karlsson's +/- is impressive, most of it is because he creates a lot of scoring chances (so more +s), kinda like how Ovechkin was a + player for most of his career.

Eraddd

One Pixel
Watching Buffalo and Anaheim, Cody looked pretty sharp in the 1st but then dropped off in the 2nd, and disappeared in the 3rd. Still needs to work on stamina. He had some great chances though, but still loses puck battles =/.

Also wtf Ruff putting Cody on the penalty kill? And Miller fucking beasting it up. Not his greatest season, but he's showing flashes of the brilliance he had last year.

It's Weber's year to win the Norris, but Karlsson definitely deserves it as much if not more. He has his whole life to win it though, so I wouldn't be worried.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)